Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

Neither Ben Stiller nor "TCG" nor that picture tells me what movie that is. The Crimson Guy? Texas Chainsaw Gassacre? I feel like this should be obvious but I'm drawing a blank.

The Cable Guy

Jim Carrey is the guy in the photo and Ben Stiller was the director. It's good news for fans since the current DVD is complete poo poo (released in 1997, flipper, non-anamorphic)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Sporadic posted:

The Cable Guy

Jim Carrey is the guy in the photo and Ben Stiller was the director.
It's enough of a masterpiece to be referred to as L'homme du cāble.

First-day purchase. HOLLA!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sporadic posted:

The Cable Guy

Jim Carrey is the guy in the photo and Ben Stiller was the director. It's good news for fans since the current DVD is complete poo poo (released in 1997, flipper, non-anamorphic)

The only release was non-anamorphic...it and True Lies can hang out and talk about how much they got shat on during the DVD era while everything else got like 3 releases.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Sporadic posted:

The Cable Guy

I found a second-hand one that's anamorphic widescreen. I counted myself as really lucky, since every new copy I've ever found was pan-and-scan.

Also, I loving love this movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TheScott2K posted:

The only release was non-anamorphic...it and True Lies can hang out and talk about how much they got shat on during the DVD era while everything else got like 3 releases.

The Cable Guy, True Lies, Poltergeist, Gremlins 2, and for a LONG time the Ninja Turtles movie, Batman (Tim Burton), and the Friday the 13th movies.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gremlins 2 only had one edition and it's 16x9. Batman was one of the first DVDs and even that edition was 16x9.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Barry Lyndon :argh:

However it is now on Netflix Instant in HD, so at least there's that.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Egbert Souse posted:

Gremlins 2 only had one edition and it's 16x9. Batman was one of the first DVDs and even that edition was 16x9.

Well they were still lovely DVDs. :colbert:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Is it safe to say that my childhood love and box-office bomb, The Rocketeer, will never get a decent transfer? The only DVD that Disney ever put out is a lovely non-anamorphic dump of the LaserDisc released way back in 1999, when having a menu was considered a special feature.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Lucky me, I went to Best Buy just to browse, no real intention of buying, until I saw that the two Kill Bill blu-rays, which I just bought a couple of days ago, were on sale for $7 less. So I got $15 back and used that to buy Eyes Wide Shut, basically getting a free movie. Just watched it, looked fantastic. I love that movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
One of these days I'm going to do an in-depth write-up on Eyes Wide Shut. Every time I see it I'm like "gently caress, this movie needs a thread" but then I put it off and put it off and then forget about it. Hell, every time I see a really great movie I get all amped up about it. I think I've got most of a potential 3 Women thread lurking around on my computer.

LAZINESS

But yeah, Eyes Wide Shut is amazing.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Magic Hate Ball posted:

One of these days I'm going to do an in-depth write-up on Eyes Wide Shut. Every time I see it I'm like "gently caress, this movie needs a thread" but then I put it off and put it off and then forget about it. Hell, every time I see a really great movie I get all amped up about it. I think I've got most of a potential 3 Women thread lurking around on my computer.

LAZINESS

But yeah, Eyes Wide Shut is amazing.

I support this. Watched it again the other day, must have been my 4th or 5th watching it (first on blu-ray, that looks fantastic indeed). I'm getting to the point where I'm able to memorize most of the dialogue. And yet I like it more on each new viewing. It is a deeply haunting film, and I dare to say, one of Kubrick's best.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Happy Together looks good.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has anyone seen either of the Michael Keaton Batman movies on BD? I have a gift card at Best Buy where they're $20 apiece, but I'm having a hard time deciding based on dvdbeaver whether they're worth the upgrade or not from the Special Edition DVDs.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

RichterIX posted:

Has anyone seen either of the Michael Keaton Batman movies on BD? I have a gift card at Best Buy where they're $20 apiece, but I'm having a hard time deciding based on dvdbeaver whether they're worth the upgrade or not from the Special Edition DVDs.

I'm a big fan of the original so I bought the Digibook when it first came out. I think it's a great disc. It handles the blacks (of which there is an abundant amount) FAR better than the DVDs ever did. Haven't seen Batman Returns on blu yet but looking forward to it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FitFortDanga posted:

Man, Kino is on a roll. I'm pretty peeved that they canceled The Sun, especially with all their other obscure releases coming out soon. Hopefully it finds its way back onto the docket.

The Stepfather (1987) reviewed
Youth In Revolt reviewed x2

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 2, 2010

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

God, I can't imagine how good ITMFL and 2046 will end up.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

RichterIX posted:

I watch them both regularly.

They're beautiful in motion.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks for the input, I think I'll go and pick them up.

As soon as I do they'll probably go on sale a week later.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Is this guy joking?

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2010/06/burned_by_stage.php

quote:

It may sound extreme to call this an awful Bluray with others giving it a thumbs-up, but I'll go one better: this is the worst-looking, worst-sounding Bluray of a classic black-and-white film in history. That means, obviously, that it looks worse than Criterion's notorious Bluray of Carol Reed's The Third Man, and that's saying something, fella.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The Lucas posted:

Is this guy joking?

You missed the best part:

quote:

They do great work in general, yes, but they'd rather have films look like what they looked like when they came out rather than have them look so good today that their directors would hear about them in Heaven and have angel erections."

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

The Lucas posted:

Is this guy joking?

Third Man looked loving great. That guy needs to be shot.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would love to see Armond White do Blu-Ray reviews.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Lucas posted:

Is this guy joking?

quote:

Nobody is more queer for Blu-ray monochrome than myself. The principal cause of this mania is the recent Casablanca Blu-ray, which made Michael Curtiz's classic film look 15% to 20% better than it ever had before. I'm so consumed by this hunger that I didn't let my disappointment with Criterion's Third Man Blu-ray get in the way. I felt burned and angered by that disc. It's fine by regular DVD standards, but my God...the grain! A sandstorm! Grain purists are like mad monks living in a secluded abbey in the French mountains.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

DVD Beaver frame-capture of grain-swamped Criterion Blu-ray image of Joseph Cotten in Sir Carol Reed's The Third Man.

------------

You grain purists....honestly! Either it's a mucky-muck grain experience, grain the size of crushed gravel and glory-be-to-God for that raw Iraqi sandstorm effect, or it's the arid video-game hell of the Patton Blu-ray. No in-between -- it's "give me librium or give me meth." Well, there is an in-between and it can look beautiful. It can look sublime. If Lowry Digital's John Lowry had been allowed to allowed to moderately de-granulate The Third Man, it would have made for a very significant difference. But no...the brown-robed Criterion monks in the Abbey St. Martin won't have it! Purity! Purity above all!

No, he's just a loving tool.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 2, 2010

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

The Lucas posted:

Is this guy joking?

If he's not, he should be.

Stagecoach was in very bad condition, so I at least understand why someone with no real film restoration knowledge would complain. But The Third Man? I don't remember that one having any real damage - all I remember is a gorgeous B&W picture. The guy has no idea what he's talking about.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

For those of you in the know, what the gently caress is up with All the Boys Love Mandy Lane? Available everywhere but the U.S. What gives?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bad movie knight posted:

For those of you in the know, what the gently caress is up with All the Boys Love Mandy Lane? Available everywhere but the U.S. What gives?

From what I read, Weinstein Company sold the theatrical US rights to Senator Entertainment (after Grindhouse bombed) while retaining the right to release it on home video in the US. Senator goes broke before being able to release it in theaters in America. I would guess it is in some type of legal hell where Weinstein Company can't release it until Senator does a theatrical release.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i89e4f40c1678880cb823a6a32a19f4c0

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i6fda8a789c0468ebccb3d19ff7034eeb

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 2, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Sporadic posted:

From what I read, Weinstein Company sold the theatrical US rights to Senator Entertainment (after Grindhouse bombed) while retaining the right to release it on home video in the US. Senator goes broke before being able to release it in theaters in America. I would guess it is in some type of legal hell where Weinstein Company can't release it until Senator does a theatrical release.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i89e4f40c1678880cb823a6a32a19f4c0

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i6fda8a789c0468ebccb3d19ff7034eeb
I just can't believe this conflict has been raging so long. They can't just push it out to Blu-Ray and be done with it? It would be an unfortunate fate for Lane, considering it is bankable on its rising star, but it would be better than distribution limbo. It sounds like Heard's going to have grandkids before Lane sees legitimate stateside distribution. :(

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Just get the cheap, region free UK Blu-ray.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Just get the cheap, region free UK Blu-ray.
Well, I did, but I want my American Blu-Rays goddamnit.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Speaking of The Third Man, anybody know of any good places to pick it up? Used isn't a dealbreaker. I'm such an idiot for not grabbing it before it went OOP (even though I wasn't yet an HD convert). :(

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

Speaking of The Third Man, anybody know of any good places to pick it up? Used isn't a dealbreaker. I'm such an idiot for not grabbing it before it went OOP (even though I wasn't yet an HD convert). :(

Ebay or Amazon Used. Everyone else is sold out.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh hey, Mandy Lane fans. Is it just me or did this smarter-than-average slasher flick go almost totally unnoticed in the States?

Criminal Minded posted:

I have an extra copy for trade if you have any of the titles I'm looking for :angel:

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

Oh hey, Mandy Lane fans. Is it just me or did this smarter-than-average slasher flick go almost totally unnoticed in the States?
Hard to get noticed when, as far as Senator is concerned, it doesn't even loving exist here.

Yeah, it was a pretty good slasher flick.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is buying blu on ebay still relatively safe? I have this weird paranoid streak where I always think I'm going to end up with a bootleg.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bootlegs are pretty uncommon. If the seller has good feedback then you should be fine. I've gotten my fair share of discs on ebay.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

bad movie knight posted:

Well, I did, but I want my American Blu-Rays goddamnit.

Haha alright. I don't see the difference though honestly - the only time I regard an import in my library with disdain is when a superior American one has come out since. With '...Mandy Lane', I don't think there's much possibility of that anytime soon.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only problem with the Mandy Lane BD is that it's pretty scant on bonus features, and the ones it does have are (I believe) PAL. I've got more than a few imports that are this way, which always makes a double dip more compelling.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Haha alright. I don't see the difference though honestly - the only time I regard an import in my library with disdain is when a superior American one has come out since.
Has mostly to do with my OCD need for like ratings certificates and such to match. Plus, PAL extras. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

doctor thodt posted:

It's got a really great final 15 minutes but most of the middle of the film is kind of shallow and aimless. Amber Heard gives a great performance though.

• Locked thread