  • Post
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wicker Man posted:

Man, you think this is gargantuan? Look at the mass effect threads...and there is like 5 of those drat things of similar size, all about tappin' some alien booty.

By the Earth's frame of reference Tali is 200 years old in Mass Effect 2.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I always thought it was super lame that you could go back to the MJ12 base later on and find... some rocks and a guy. What, they couldn't even be arsed to try to move in and rebuild, or collapse the damned thing entirely? Why station the guard there? I at least wanted to find some interesting datapads detailing their orders to scrap the operation and move on, or something.

etalian posted:

By the Earth's frame of reference Tali is 200 years old in Mass Effect 2.

Probably not a huge surprise, since every single other species except Salarians looks at humans and goes, "oh man, you poor, short-lived bastards :("

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

CaptainWinky posted:

Whaaat? I remember going down one of the manholes and running into a bricked-over wall. Guess I should have tried another manhole.

This game STILL has new things for me to discover.

At that wall, look down. Find ladder.

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.

CaptainWinky posted:

This game STILL has new things for me to discover.

I just learned a week ago that you can get a LAM for accessing the Mole People by slaughtering the Rooks gang EXCEPT their leader and then talking to him again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzIOOIZt4Iw
It's pretty cool that there's so many small details like this, but at the same time it's too bad there wasn't a lot of consistency to it. Nothing would have told me to try this before other than experimentation because for the majority of the game NPCs will respond to rampant violence in two different ways: on-sight violence or running around panicked then straight up ignorance to the mounds of corpses around them.
Especially with the clumsy game mechanics getting in the way. The guy in the video had to stand around for about twelve seconds while his target calmed down.

CaptainStag fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 2, 2010

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I've played this game for 10 years and I'm still hearing about poo poo I never found.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Angry Diplomat posted:

I always thought it was super lame that you could go back to the MJ12 base later on and find... some rocks and a guy. What, they couldn't even be arsed to try to move in and rebuild, or collapse the damned thing entirely? Why station the guard there? I at least wanted to find some interesting datapads detailing their orders to scrap the operation and move on, or something.

Probably not a huge surprise, since every single other species except Salarians looks at humans and goes, "oh man, you poor, short-lived bastards :("

If you hack the computers down there I'm fairly sure there's some emails from Page or somebody telling them to shut down the facility

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

If you hack the computers down there I'm fairly sure there's some emails from Page or somebody telling them to shut down the facility

Which computers? The only accessible one is the security console, as the path leading to the processing area with the PC in it is filled in with rubble.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

CaptainStag posted:

I just learned a week ago that you can get a LAM for accessing the Mole People by slaughtering the Rooks gang EXCEPT their leader and then talking to him again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzIOOIZt4Iw
It's pretty cool that there's so many small details like this, but at the same time it's too bad there wasn't a lot of consistency to it. Nothing would have told me to try this before other than experimentation because for the majority of the game NPCs will respond to rampant violence in two different ways: on-sight violence or running around panicked then straight up ignorance to the mounds of corpses around them.
Especially with the clumsy game mechanics getting in the way. The guy in the video had to stand around for about twelve seconds while his target calmed down.

JC DENTON
Some gangbanger. Maybe you should go back to school.

EL REY

JC DENTON
What a shame.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Hammsturabi posted:

I just severely wounded Maggie Chow by dropping a barrel of Ambrosia on her from a height of 15m in the UC. The lifting strength aug was so worth it.

This is the best way to kill Maggie Chow:
M-m-m-m-multikill!

And this is the best way to kill ... well, anything, really:
Death by vase

He's way too fast!

usually

usually fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 19, 2011

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CaptainStag posted:

I just learned a week ago that you can get a LAM for accessing the Mole People by slaughtering the Rooks gang EXCEPT their leader and then talking to him again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzIOOIZt4Iw
It's pretty cool that there's so many small details like this, but at the same time it's too bad there wasn't a lot of consistency to it. Nothing would have told me to try this before other than experimentation because for the majority of the game NPCs will respond to rampant violence in two different ways: on-sight violence or running around panicked then straight up ignorance to the mounds of corpses around them.
Especially with the clumsy game mechanics getting in the way. The guy in the video had to stand around for about twelve seconds while his target calmed down.

Even better is if you have a full inventory when you talk to El Ray to get your LAM. It's one of only a few times JC injects emotion into the dialogue.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

CaptainWinky posted:

Nope, the facility is completely sealed off after the first Hell's Kitchen visit.
It's only sealed off for the second HK visit - after that it's just a burnt-out ruin. Is there a news story in-game that explains what happened in there once JC left?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Zero Star posted:

It's only sealed off for the second HK visit - after that it's just a burnt-out ruin. Is there a news story in-game that explains what happened in there once JC left?

You mean is there a news story about what happened to the secret underground base?

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

Zero Star posted:

It's only sealed off for the second HK visit - after that it's just a burnt-out ruin. Is there a news story in-game that explains what happened in there once JC left?

Yeah, not sure what you're talking about here. When you come back from Hong Kong, the underground base is still there, exactly the same as the second time you go to Hell's Kitchen. I think you're confusing Osgood & Son's (the warehouse entry) with the sewer base.

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
In Shifter, each time you right-click on an unflushed toilet, you get 2 skill points as a "Public Hygiene Awareness Bonus".

If you head-shot WS at Area 51, you get like 500 pts (but make sure to aggravate him first!). "That makes me one ugly son-of-a-bitch".

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

DVD Drive posted:

Aren't those the same accounts you can access by hacking? e: oh I thought you meant in the above ground offices.

Yea you probably can access all of them by hacking. I forgot about hacking as I haven't been using it this time. It's been a while since I've played this, so for all I know I might have hacked that computer last time and read all these e-mails and just forgotten. :(

usually

usually fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 19, 2011

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

DVD Drive posted:

The DeusEx Wiki says Osgood's is destroyed due to rioting, though I don't know the in-game source of that info.

Whoa, the PS2 version has redone maps??
http://offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&p=79037

Ellis Island is much smaller, for example, and there are four or five loading spots (not including UNATCO or the interior of the statue). It's still good, although the UI is crazy and on Realistic you only have 100 total HP (!!) I think there are a few lines of exclusive dialogue in each version.

Hell's Kitchen is the same, with a lot more loading spots. The generator warehouse is totally different, but the rooftops are the same for some reason.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Well my interest in the game totally died once I reached Paris. It seemed like the game was narrowing up, and I was just following along my objectives to reach the next plot point. Somebody tell me I'm wrong and it gets open again (for lack of a better word).

Edit: Although I loved the music that played when you talked to the crazy cat lady the first time. That was the best music in the game so far. No idea why it only played for a conversation with a minor side NPC. Anybody got a remix of that or anything?

stratdax fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 3, 2010

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Paris is my favorite part of the game, but Hong Kong is definitely the most free-roaming. After Paris it's all missions building up to the climax, no more wandering around. That's no reason to stop playing though, it's all good and if you stop now you miss the best conversation in the game.

usually

usually fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 19, 2011

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rusty Rickshaw posted:

Ellis Island is much smaller, for example, and there are four or five loading spots (not including UNATCO or the interior of the statue). It's still good, although the UI is crazy and on Realistic you only have 100 total HP (!!) I think there are a few lines of exclusive dialogue in each version.

Hell's Kitchen is the same, with a lot more loading spots. The generator warehouse is totally different, but the rooftops are the same for some reason.

Really, all things considered, the PS2 version of Deus Ex is pretty admirable for keeping so much of the game intact. Yeah, some of the bigger maps were chopped up or redone, the inventory was simplified, the UI was cluttered because of TVs, and losing limb-specific damage for a single health bar is a little annoying, but overall it still has all the stat-based stuff and augs and kept the different routes and ways of doing things. One thing I loved about it was that it did away with keypads entirely, so keycodes functioned just like keys and you didn't have to dig around your journals looking for the keycode.

Huh, and apparently they re-did JC's model.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I will say that I would pay full money for an entire game of wandering around bigass mansions like the DuClare place, exploring all the rooms and occasionally coming across secret levers that lead to hidden tunnels and awesome basements and hedge mazes.

Seriously, that's my favorite drat part of the game.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Rusty Rickshaw posted:

If you head-shot WS at Area 51, you get like 500 pts (but make sure to aggravate him first!). "That makes me one ugly son-of-a-bitch".

I just encountered him today at the Ocean Lab. What gives?

Also, I just finished my second playthrough today with the Helios ending and, despite ending on a sweet quote, was under par with the previous ending I encountered. Oh well, time to play through it again.

Squirl
Aug 8, 2004
You're lucky I couldn't think of anything better

OregonDonor posted:

I just encountered him today at the Ocean Lab. What gives?

Also, I just finished my second playthrough today with the Helios ending and, despite ending on a sweet quote, was under par with the previous ending I encountered. Oh well, time to play through it again.

You can run away and he will find you again later for another showdown.

Of course you can just run away from him there, too :v:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Gollom posted:

Yeah, not sure what you're talking about here. When you come back from Hong Kong, the underground base is still there, exactly the same as the second time you go to Hell's Kitchen. I think you're confusing Osgood & Son's (the warehouse entry) with the sewer base.
I was asking about Osgood & Son's. Sorry for the confusion.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Crappy Jack posted:

an entire game of wandering around bigass mansions like the DuClare place, exploring all the rooms and occasionally coming across secret levers that lead to hidden tunnels and awesome basements and hedge mazes.
This is 99% of the gameplay in the Thief series. :ninja:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Uncle Caveman posted:

This is 99% of the gameplay in the Thief series. :ninja:

Yeah, this.

Crappy Jack, buy Thief 2.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Ansob. posted:

Everyone ever, buy Thief 2.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
Thief 2 was great, but felt a bit too heavy on the "interior" maps. I liked the first game's mix of burglary (Bafford, Ramirez, Constantine) and exploration (Bonehoard, Lost City, Old Quarter). And despite the Invisible-War-ification of the third game, being able to roam the city between maps was neat.

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
I'd never played as monster J.C. until today. I used the prod to K.O. NSF footsoldiers and then finished the job with the crowbar. I used the flamethrower's Shifter function to kill the two thugs near Harley Filben. I got the commander to stand down and I listened to his reasoning for stealing the Ambrosia. Alex commended me for a job well done, then I brained the NSF boss with my crowbar. It's precious when he's telling you how smart and professional you are, but there's a "MESSAGE WAITING..." notification for a wav. file where he tells you what a despicable piece of poo poo you have become.

Paul: You are a complete jackass.
J.C.: I don't understand.

Manderly: Here's your op bonus-- 1050 credits. 200 subtracted for murdering the commander in the statue.

Paul is way more upset that Manderly. It's so danged good! I couldn't bring myself to play through the whole game (on unrealistic no less) that way, so I immolated at Gunther's feet in the breakroom.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.
Deus Ex: The only action game where players voluntarily punish themselves with a game-over for being too violent.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Everyone should buy Thief and Thief 2.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

drat challenges in Biomod. I tried to get all four on Liberty Island, but lost at non-lethal and no guns. Do you lose if you kill someone and then reload?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I will be truthful. I have requested the assignment of the maintenance man assassination.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
There's been some talk about the PS2 version. Well, that's actually the first way I played the game, and while yes, it is inferior by far to the PC version, I still have no regrets playing it that way first. It's a pretty competent conversion from the same era that produced lots of craptacular PC>PS2 ports like Unreal Tournament. However, the changes made to the interface do make it play pretty well with a controller, and in fact I'd love to see a mod that turns the inventory system into a hybrid of the original and PS2 versions. Tetris style is good, but not having to think about where I stuck my misc. consumables was awesome too.
All in all, whatever it takes to expose more people to Deus Ex

As far as other games that scratch the Deus Ex itch, I dug out a used copy of Vampire: Bloodlines I had kicking around my stack of old games and gave it a whirl. It's like a 3/4's finished Deus Ex, but with a cheesy supernatural storyline and a lot of jank. It has lockpicking and hacking in it, and it only takes place at night, and features a trip to the sewers and crawling through air vents. Guns suck until you level up your skills, there are bad philosophical conversations with guys with Australian accents, and there is even a chooseable class that I just now realized must have inspired the Malkavian Mod.
Beware though: Lot's of jank and laughable Anne Rice aesthetic. Google around, there is still an active megathread here about it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Zohn posted:

there is even a chooseable class that I just now realized must have inspired the Malkavian Mod.

You just realised the Malkavians inspired the Malkavian Mod.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Enjoy posted:

I will be truthful. I have requested the assignment of the maintenance man assassination.
From: GHermann//UNATCO.15431.76513
To: JManderley//UNATCO.00013.76490
Cc: ANavarre//UNATCO.9954.1131
Subject: Orang

Might I sugest agin, a orang soda for my head. Yesterday in Batery Park, some scum we all know pushes smack for NSF gets jumpy and draws. I take 2 lemin lime's, 1 in flesh, 1 in augs, befor I can get out that dam siera mst.

If I could be refrshd just by thought, it would be beter. Is it my job to be a human target-practis resyclng bin?

Gunther Hermann

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn

CaptainWinky posted:

Whaaat? I remember going down one of the manholes and running into a bricked-over wall. Guess I should have tried another manhole.

This game STILL has new things for me to discover.

Thats a different area.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

drat challenges in Biomod. I tried to get all four on Liberty Island, but lost at non-lethal and no guns. Do you lose if you kill someone and then reload?

What IS the challenge system anyway?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3