Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Awesome Kristin posted:

They poop a lot.

This is true, but it's the pee that will stink if the bedding gets too saturated. I'm currently using Aspen shavings, and I find them pretty economical if you buy the largest bag.

More often, I'm seeing a lot of people switching to fleece liners instead. It's like a big diaper for the cage, but colorful. You have a couple and change them out every 2 days or so. They just go in the washing machine, and you don't have to deal with shavings migrating throughout your house. They seem to be polarizing, but I'm thinking of switching to see for myself. That would also reduce long-term costs.

Oh yea, and expect to throw-down some money for a beastly shop-vac. Chins love to throw hay everywhere. Everywhere.

fake edit: I like Carefresh, but I just can't afford it all the time. Max has manners and only pees in a litterbox, while Osker pees wherever he drat well pleases.

Incidentally, I've never seen either chinchilla pee outside of the cage, ever. It's bizarre (but wonderful). They do constantly poop though. Their intestines are conveyor belts that never stop, or at least that's how I picture it.

Ishkibibble_Fish fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hm, like which vac? Those can get extremely expensive and fast.

pokie fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 3, 2010

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

pokie posted:

A hand vac works too as long as it can pick up some hay and poop.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

pokie posted:

Oh don't ask me, I still haven't made that investment. Something tells me my life will be much easier when I do. I have an older model of this , which is not technically a vacuum. It works surprisingly well for what it is- if you stay on top of cleaning it out.

If you look for a shop-vac, look for one with the widest hose possible.

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007
Ahem. Welp, I broke down and bought myself a hamster. What breed is this? Kinda big dude.

Click here for the full 720x608 image.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Master_Jay posted:

Ahem. Welp, I broke down and bought myself a hamster. What breed is this? Kinda big dude.

omg it looks like a ground squirrel!

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Master_Jay posted:

That's not a hamster... I'm leaning towards gerbil? Have you got a full body shot?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Daedleh posted:

That's not a hamster... I'm leaning towards gerbil? Have you got a full body shot?

Pretty sure its a joke post since that looks like a prairie dog to me...

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Pretty sure its a joke post since that looks like a prairie dog to me...

Yeah, that's a prairie dog. One of my local pet stores actually had one for sale recently. Cute as all hell, but :psyduck:

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
Does anyone have any experience with sugar gliders? The girlfriend has been talking about them constantly for the past few weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Glider

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
They aren't rodents :colbert:

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

CGChewie posted:

Does anyone have any experience with sugar gliders? The girlfriend has been talking about them constantly for the past few weeks.

Nocturnal, complicated diet, hard to find vets for, requires a fair amount of effort to bond to them. Also assholes try to sell them as fun and easy pets..

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Rodent Mortician posted:

Nocturnal, complicated diet, hard to find vets for, requires a fair amount of effort to bond to them. Also assholes try to sell them as fun and easy pets..

Piss all over the cage, too.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Would really appreciate some input re hamsters and their sleeping patterns.

We got a new hamster last week, she is now 6 weeks old. For the first couple of days she slept in the tubes, but now she's moved her nest to the little house we put in. The problem is she stays in the nest all the time.

I've never had such a young hamster before, so I don't know, is this normal? In the evening it takes a lot of coaxing until she'll leave her nest, and not until after 9pm either. After a bit of yawning/stretching she looks perfectly wide awake and will come out of the cage and run around. But once she gets too lively to play with and we put her back in the cage, she still goes back to bed. Any other times of the day, we haven't seen her running around. She doesn't go on her wheel because she is too busy being in her nest.

She is apparently eating and drinking, but it does look like she is holding her tail up in a funny way sometimes. Could she be constipated?? She has access to water bottle and bowl, and gets a piece of fresh veg every day :confused:.

Pictures from after we brought her home to show how cute she is anyway:

Click here for the full 622x467 image.

Click here for the full 622x467 image.

Click here for the full 737x593 image.

Nereid
Sep 17, 2009

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar
Hamsters are nocturnal, it's perfectly normal for them to sleep all day. You got a wheel for her?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Nereid posted:

Hamsters are nocturnal, it's perfectly normal for them to sleep all day. You got a wheel for her?

Ah ok, I didn't phrase my post very well. I know that hamsters are nocturnal. But it's always been my experience before that they wake up around 8pm and start running around the cage, going on the wheel, chewing on some bars or something, then they do that for at least a good portion of the night.

Well it is 1.45am here and hamster hasn't got up today yet (apart from when we forced her to). In fact during the week we've had her, we have not seen her voluntarily out of bed for anything beyond toilet/water/fetching food - not during the day, not at 8pm, 1.30am, 4.30am, 6am.

So as far as we're aware she is sleeping for 23+ h a day.

She has a wheel and various pieces of cardboard to play with, and one of those chew sticks.

We were worried so we took her to the vet today. The vet was a bit of a know-it-all sadly, anyway he said that she was perfectly healthy, just maybe lazy or nervous. Of course we had had to get her out of her nest to go to the vet, so she was awake for once and running around exploring. She explored inside smug vet's shirt :cool:.

So what can we do? Is it normal for a baby hamster to never get out of bed?? If she is too nervous to wake up, we don't want to hassle her into it or she might get more nervous.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rodent Mortician posted:

This dude knows his stuff. I used to work P/T at a pet store back in high school. Even with a fully-stocked store and a good handful of employees the sugar gliders were still very difficult to care for. They also piss all over your shirt during playtime. They're cute as hell and interesting animals, but they make lousy pets.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

melon cat posted:

This dude knows his stuff. I used to work P/T at a pet store back in high school. Even with a fully-stocked store and a good handful of employees the sugar gliders were still very difficult to care for. They also piss all over your shirt during playtime. They're cute as hell and interesting animals, but they make lousy pets.

Anything that is both airborne and has a diet rich in fruit, I think, is just asking for trouble.

Terrestrial Octopus
Nov 5, 2008

CGChewie posted:

Refer her to glidercentral.net - if she's still going on about them after another couple weeks of reading/research, then there are several good breeders and rescues associated with that site. Please just make sure she doesn't get them from one of the big mill breeders or a pet store; they are prone to several medical problems if improperly bred or raised, and like someone already said, finding an experienced glider vet can be a challenge.

Sugar gliders do actually make great pets, IF cared for properly. The bonding process is involved, as was mentioned, but the bond formed is proportionally deeper IME. Learning about providing a balanced diet takes some work, but once you know what you're doing its not any more complex than feeding yourself properly. And they don't pee on everything any more than a rat or hamster or other animal that marks territorily.

For me, the extra effort in diet research and bonding process are completely worth it to have a pair of small furry cuddly buddies that will live 15 years or so instead of the 3-4 of the rats I used to have.

Okay, back to the rodents :3

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

What kinda fucked up tour is this?
my white russian died over the weekend :(. she was only a few months old.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

killerwhat posted:

Ah ok, I didn't phrase my post very well. I know that hamsters are nocturnal. But it's always been my experience before that they wake up around 8pm and start running around the cage, going on the wheel, chewing on some bars or something, then they do that for at least a good portion of the night.

Well it is 1.45am here and hamster hasn't got up today yet (apart from when we forced her to). In fact during the week we've had her, we have not seen her voluntarily out of bed for anything beyond toilet/water/fetching food - not during the day, not at 8pm, 1.30am, 4.30am, 6am.

So as far as we're aware she is sleeping for 23+ h a day.

She has a wheel and various pieces of cardboard to play with, and one of those chew sticks.

We were worried so we took her to the vet today. The vet was a bit of a know-it-all sadly, anyway he said that she was perfectly healthy, just maybe lazy or nervous. Of course we had had to get her out of her nest to go to the vet, so she was awake for once and running around exploring. She explored inside smug vet's shirt :cool:.

So what can we do? Is it normal for a baby hamster to never get out of bed?? If she is too nervous to wake up, we don't want to hassle her into it or she might get more nervous.

How big is her cage? If it's possible to get something larger she might be more inclined to explore. It's been a while since I've had hamsters, but most rodents are pretty curious and like investigating things as long as they have some cover to hang around also.

What I do with my mouse sometimes is to set up a big obstacle course on a table. Cardboard stuff, old plastic toys/hides and wheels that I've phased out of her 'typical' cage setup, on top of a table and let her run around. Sometimes adding seed mix or fruit pieces around for her to hunt. I've never had a rodent jump from the table but obviously you have to supervise the whole time just in case!

Edit: How big is her wheel? Is she able to keep her back straight when she's in it? A lot of people buy wheels that are too small and she may not like how her back bends, or that her whiskers touch wheel out front or something. Just throwing out ideas :)

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

drat Bananas posted:

How big is her cage? If it's possible to get something larger she might be more inclined to explore. It's been a while since I've had hamsters, but most rodents are pretty curious and like investigating things as long as they have some cover to hang around also.

What I do with my mouse sometimes is to set up a big obstacle course on a table. Cardboard stuff, old plastic toys/hides and wheels that I've phased out of her 'typical' cage setup, on top of a table and let her run around. Sometimes adding seed mix or fruit pieces around for her to hunt. I've never had a rodent jump from the table but obviously you have to supervise the whole time just in case!

Edit: How big is her wheel? Is she able to keep her back straight when she's in it? A lot of people buy wheels that are too small and she may not like how her back bends, or that her whiskers touch wheel out front or something. Just throwing out ideas :)

Thanks for the reply! She has this rotastak cage, as well as a good size wire cage which we let her play in, still thinking of ways to permanently attach the two. So I hope it's not lack of space that's upsetting her...

The wheel is the standard rotastak wheel, she is still really little though so I think it should be big enough. Apparently the dad hamster grew big enough that he needed a rat wheel, but she's a long way off that!

Yesterday we put a piece of bread and a small carrot in her food bowl, along with her chew stick. All untouched this morning. So it's not like she's been secretly running around when we're not looking.

I am really completely mystified by this hamster.

Sorry to hear about your hamster getfuct :(.

Edit: aargh, now she's got an eye infection as well! Tried to get her out just now, she kept her ears down and one eye wasn't opening for ages, and then only just and looked swollen. So I tried to clean her eye with saline on cotton wool. She did not like this. Boyfriend got bitten :( and I'm not sure what good it did, there is just brown smears on her face now. Looks like another trip to the vet is due. Hope we don't get that smug vet again this time.

killerwhat fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 7, 2010

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
We adopted a new baby piggy yesterday (more pictures forthcoming). One thing that concerns me is a small bald patch he has right on the top of his head. The person we got the pig from said that he'd had this since birth (he's currently 6 weeks old), although she didn't seem like the most observant person in the world so I wouldn't take it for granted.

The patch is right on the top of his head and is maybe a few millimeters wide and about a centimeter long. The person we got it from suggested that was just where his hair is growing from, which is possible, but it seems bigger than I've seen on other pigs. He doesn't seem to be missing hair anywhere else, and I haven't seen him scratching or anything like that, so is it possible that this is just natural? We're quarantining him from the other pigs for now, just to be safe (hopefully it's not mites).

We also noticed what appears to be a small scar on his face, so we figure it's possible he may have been involved with some scuffles with his cage-mates. Anyway, any insight on this would be helpful.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Does it look like all the hair is kind of growing out and away from the center of it? If so, that's a rosette, and it's perfectly normal. Pigs with a rosette on top of their heads are called Crested, and pigs with rosettes all over their bodies are Abyssinians.

It's also theoretically possible he got barbered by another pig, but that usually happens on the rump. Likewise, mites and other parasites can cause hair loss, but that almost always starts on the back or rump area. Most likely it's just genetics.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Well, the reason our hamster wasn't coming out of her nest became clear. She was seriously ill, and we didn't realise.

Although the useless, smug vet didn't believe us on Saturday when we said something was wrong, by Monday night poor hammy had not only got an eye infection but was by then undeniably swollen in the abdomen, and looking more frail. Off to the vets on Tuesday morning, she said it was hopefully constipation, but it could be a hamster version of the rat genetic megacolon disorder.

Well, it was megacolon. We gave her laxatives (and antibiotics) as prescribed on Tuesday, then again on Wednesday morning, but it didn't have any effect. On Wednesday morning we agreed that if she was no better by the time we got home from work, she'd be off to the vets again the next day. But we hadn't realised that she had stopped eating or drinking because she was too weak to move from the nest, or to drink from a bottle. She couldn't open her eyes from the infection, and was just trying to attack anything that came near her.

After work on Wednesday we tried to give her more laxatives as a last ditch attempt, but it was clear that she needed to be put to sleep as soon as the vets reopened the next day. We looked at her again before we went to bed, and saw that she wasn't going to make it that long. She was so weak and swollen. The only thing we could think of to make her more comfortable was to give her some warm milk from a syringe, but she could barely drink it.

She didn't survive the night. I feel so guilty that we didn't help her. What a horrible death. She was 7 weeks old.

I'm sorry Pipistrelle :(.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

killerwhat posted:

Well, the reason our hamster wasn't coming out of her nest became clear. She was seriously ill, and we didn't realise.

Although the useless, smug vet didn't believe us on Saturday when we said something was wrong, by Monday night poor hammy had not only got an eye infection but was by then undeniably swollen in the abdomen, and looking more frail. Off to the vets on Tuesday morning, she said it was hopefully constipation, but it could be a hamster version of the rat genetic megacolon disorder.

Well, it was megacolon. We gave her laxatives (and antibiotics) as prescribed on Tuesday, then again on Wednesday morning, but it didn't have any effect. On Wednesday morning we agreed that if she was no better by the time we got home from work, she'd be off to the vets again the next day. But we hadn't realised that she had stopped eating or drinking because she was too weak to move from the nest, or to drink from a bottle. She couldn't open her eyes from the infection, and was just trying to attack anything that came near her.

After work on Wednesday we tried to give her more laxatives as a last ditch attempt, but it was clear that she needed to be put to sleep as soon as the vets reopened the next day. We looked at her again before we went to bed, and saw that she wasn't going to make it that long. She was so weak and swollen. The only thing we could think of to make her more comfortable was to give her some warm milk from a syringe, but she could barely drink it.

She didn't survive the night. I feel so guilty that we didn't help her. What a horrible death. She was 7 weeks old.

I'm sorry Pipistrelle :(.
My condolences :(. But seriously, you did everything possible and then some. Very few hamster owners would be vigilant enough to catch any of this, let alone go through the great lengths to make Pipistrelle better. You did a great job.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Does anyone have experience with mites? I'm wondering if my mouse has them. I use Carefresh bedding, and I've read that you're supposed to put it in the freezer overnight just in case it carried mites but I bought the humongo gigantic bag and it wouldn't fit so I didn't bother because I've never had a problem with it before.

She's scratching a lot and her fur looks a little thin. What do I do? :( If I throw out the old bedding/cardboard and wash her plastic stuff real well do you think it'll go away on its own? I'd really rather not have to find an exotics vet right now, I'm in a bit of a money crunch. Tuition is due soon and I can't find a job in this city I'll only be in for another 1.5 months.

e: Are they big enough to see at all? On second look it might just be one/two red splotches at the top of her back. Wondering if this might be a "hot spot" that I've read about happening due to too much protein in the food? Argh :/

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 17, 2010

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

My landlord just told me she wants a $350 pet deposit for our pair of guinea pigs when we renew our lease. This sounds absolutely insane to me - when I've mentioned caged pets to previous landlords, they've always just shrugged and said "we just care about cats and dogs." Since our lease is up, I suppose they can do whatever they want, but I was just wondering what other folks' experience has been with pet deposits on caged animals. I'm also trying to figure out how the hell a couple of guinea pigs in a cage are going to cause $350 worth of damages.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Imaduck posted:

My landlord just told me she wants a $350 pet deposit for our pair of guinea pigs when we renew our lease. This sounds absolutely insane to me - when I've mentioned caged pets to previous landlords, they've always just shrugged and said "we just care about cats and dogs." Since our lease is up, I suppose they can do whatever they want, but I was just wondering what other folks' experience has been with pet deposits on caged animals. I'm also trying to figure out how the hell a couple of guinea pigs in a cage are going to cause $350 worth of damages.

If it's a deposit, it might be refundable. And if you were to actually keep your pigs irresponsibly, they could easily cause hundreds of dollars in damages. Imagine if they chewed the baseboards or a section of carpet -- would be pretty expensive to replace.

Best to ask if your landlord will negotiate with you on the fee, and if you'll be getting it back if there are no damages when the lease is up.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've never heard of anyone being charged a pet fee or deposit for their guinea pigs. In my experience most landlords and rental companies don't really care about caged animals. I'm going to be moving within the next couple of months and have begun apartment shopping. The last place I went to for a walk through, the guy asked me about pets and basically said "yeah we don't care about those" when I told them I had guinea pigs.

Just be glad its a deposit, I guess.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I want to get Dexter a friend, since I keep reading that chinchillas do better in pairs and I feel bad leaving him alone all day. The problem is that I am having the hardest time finding chinchilla breeders in Virginia. There's supposedly one about an hour away in Fredericksburg, but I emailed her over a month ago with no response and through further investigation there hasn't been any activity on her part in over 4 years so I doubt she's still in business.

Ideally I want to be able to go somewhere and pick out a chin out of a bunch (and potentially bring Dex with me to have him help pick out his friend) instead of buying the one chinchilla they have at Petsmart and hoping that he gets along with Dex, but finding somewhere with multiple chinchillas for sale seems nearly impossible.

Should I go get the one chinchilla and hope they get along or go on a really long road trip across state lines to a breeder?

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I want to get Dexter a friend, since I keep reading that chinchillas do better in pairs and I feel bad leaving him alone all day. The problem is that I am having the hardest time finding chinchilla breeders in Virginia. There's supposedly one about an hour away in Fredericksburg, but I emailed her over a month ago with no response and through further investigation there hasn't been any activity on her part in over 4 years so I doubt she's still in business.

Ideally I want to be able to go somewhere and pick out a chin out of a bunch (and potentially bring Dex with me to have him help pick out his friend) instead of buying the one chinchilla they have at Petsmart and hoping that he gets along with Dex, but finding somewhere with multiple chinchillas for sale seems nearly impossible.

Should I go get the one chinchilla and hope they get along or go on a really long road trip across state lines to a breeder?

My sister is trying to do the same thing with Sifl. She's been looking around to see if someone who needs to locally rehome a chin is willing to try a trial basis first so she won't end up stuck with two boys who hate each others' guts. It's not coming along so well since the breeder she bought Sifl from went out of business a while ago.

I guess it depends on your location, but you could look around on craigslist or Petfinder and see if anyone local has a chinchilla they need to rehome and ask to give it a try first? You could probably also post on Chins-n-Hedgies, there may be someone in your area willing to help you on there.

If you can't try it out first, it's probably going to be hit or miss either way. None of my sister's chins were able to live with each other except for Stewie and Squeak, and that's probably just because they were father and son. Hopefully you'll get lucky and find a good match for Dexter without too much trouble. :)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I ended up going to Petsmart and getting the chin they had there. So far he and Dex have gotten along in their limited encounters so far. They've met each other through cage bars and were generally civil, except for the new one biting Dexter's nose pretty hard once when Dexter was being annoying.

The only problem I've encountered so far is Dexter being a jealous little brat when I play with the new little one and not him. Reassuring petting and a snack seem to calm him down a bit though.

Here's a kinda blurry dark picture of the new little one (didn't want to scare the crap out of him with a camera flash)

He doesn't have a name yet. I was considering naming him Sinister (sinister and dexter mean left and right in latin) but I don't want to have to explain why I have a chinchilla named Sinister to everyone. I'm also considering naming him Chester. I will NOT, under any circumstances, name him Mandark.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I ended up going to Petsmart and getting the chin they had there. So far he and Dex have gotten along in their limited encounters so far. They've met each other through cage bars and were generally civil, except for the new one biting Dexter's nose pretty hard once when Dexter was being annoying.

Man, I never understand this poo poo. After reading this thread, or really any of Pet Island, people still go out and buy animals from pet stores? Come the gently caress on.

Well, congrats on supporting mills with your impatience.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Serella posted:

Man, I never understand this poo poo. After reading this thread, or really any of Pet Island, people still go out and buy animals from pet stores? Come the gently caress on.

Well, congrats on supporting mills with your impatience.

Apparently you didn't see my post about not being able to find anywhere else to buy a chinchilla within a reasonable distance of where I live. I tried to contact the closest one but got no response. The next closest is at least a four hour drive away. The one chinchilla in a shelter around here is a six year old female who has mental issues, so there's no way in hell I was putting that in with Dexter. There is no such thing as a chinchilla rescue in the entire state. So don't jump all over me for getting a chin from Petsmart assuming that was my first and only attempt at finding a chinchilla. I've actually been looking for quite some time.

The way I see it is that the little guy was still going to be for sale in the store no matter what. Might as well have him go to a home where he'll be taken care of properly instead of continuing to live in a tiny cage in a store by himself or be adopted by people who have no clue what they're doing.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The way I see it is that the little guy was still going to be for sale in the store no matter what. Might as well have him go to a home where he'll be taken care of properly instead of continuing to live in a tiny cage in a store by himself or be adopted by people who have no clue what they're doing.

This is the argument people generally use to justify buying animals in stores. Would you buy a puppy from Petland if for some reason there were none available in your area? It's not different. And all you're doing is encouraging the pet store to keep stocking chinchillas, as the one you purchased will just be replaced by another one to sell to any idiot off the street.

But you needed a chinchilla asap, right? Whatever justifies it to yourself. :downs:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Serella posted:

This is the argument people generally use to justify buying animals in stores. Would you buy a puppy from Petland if for some reason there were none available in your area? It's not different. And all you're doing is encouraging the pet store to keep stocking chinchillas, as the one you purchased will just be replaced by another one to sell to any idiot off the street.

But you needed a chinchilla asap, right? Whatever justifies it to yourself. :downs:

Well the reason a lot of people hate pet store puppies is because there's already such an overpopulation problem with them that shelters are euthanizing them left and right, and they're horrible because they're adding more and more puppies to the problem. It's not the same thing with chinchillas because there are so few of them in his/her area. Besides, one purchase is a drop in the bucket for those companies, I think letting two animals (that are a social species) have an excellent life is much better than two miserable/lonely lives at the expense of .0000001% of the mill's profit that they're not going to notice anyway. It's not *the* ideal solution but you don't have to be such a complete jerk about it.

Still waiting for help with mites information... I've read a lot of different things and need help determining what's what. :( Poor itchy mouse!

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

drat Bananas posted:

Well the reason a lot of people hate pet store puppies is because there's already such an overpopulation problem with them that shelters are euthanizing them left and right, and they're horrible because they're adding more and more puppies to the problem. It's not the same thing with chinchillas because there are so few of them in his/her area. Besides, one purchase is a drop in the bucket for those companies, I think letting two animals (that are a social species) have an excellent life is much better than two miserable/lonely lives at the expense of .0000001% of the mill's profit that they're not going to notice anyway. It's not *the* ideal solution but you don't have to be such a complete jerk about it.

Still waiting for help with mites information... I've read a lot of different things and need help determining what's what. :( Poor itchy mouse!

No, a lot of the reason people hate pet store puppies is that they come from drat dog mills. Guess what else comes from a mill?

If it was really a drop in the bucket, people wouldn't flip their poo poo whenever someone bought a pet store puppy. The real truth is that people don't get upset because it's not a dog or a cat -- it's just a rodent.

Guess what else? There are 10 chinchillas on Petfinder listed an hour away (or less) from Fairfax. I got this esoteric information by typing Chinchilla into Petfinder. Chinchillas are overpopulated, especially because doofuses keep getting male/female pairs because bonding males is so hard! :downs: I see 4-5 listed here every day (and I'm only about 5 hours south) and we get surrender requests almost weekly.

The problem was further compounded by this person buying a pet store chinchilla, doing absolutely no kind of quarantine, and then throwing his chinchilla in with it. Any infectious disease it's been harboring since the pet mill, any parasite, you've now exposed your chinchilla to.

The whole thing is kind of a cluster, but what's really disappointing is people coming in to white knight supporting a pet mill, because waiting another month to see if they could locate another breeder or investigate one of these many rescued chins was too hard.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I ended up going to Petsmart and getting the chin they had there. So far he and Dex have gotten along in their limited encounters so far.

While I understand it's absolutely heartbreaking not to 'save' every pathetic-looking chinchilla in Petsmart/Petco, I never under any circumstances would have purchased a pet store chinchilla and just willy nilly introduced it to my chins with no quarantine. Aside from the danger of disease/infection, this is risky business; males are extremely difficult to introduce successfully over the long-term. Watch them carefully. Chinchillas can and will fight to the death if the circumstances are right, and that is something you won't want to see.

That said, I wish you the best of luck with your new guy, and I'm sure you'll make a much better home for him than the average chinchilla owner.

Rodent Mortician posted:

I got this esoteric information by typing Chinchilla into Petfinder.

Rodent Mortician, I like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Rodent Mortician posted:

No, a lot of the reason people hate pet store puppies is that they come from drat dog mills. Guess what else comes from a mill?

If it was really a drop in the bucket, people wouldn't flip their poo poo whenever someone bought a pet store puppy. The real truth is that people don't get upset because it's not a dog or a cat -- it's just a rodent.

Guess what else? There are 10 chinchillas on Petfinder listed an hour away (or less) from Fairfax. I got this esoteric information by typing Chinchilla into Petfinder. Chinchillas are overpopulated, especially because doofuses keep getting male/female pairs because bonding males is so hard! :downs: I see 4-5 listed here every day (and I'm only about 5 hours south) and we get surrender requests almost weekly.

The problem was further compounded by this person buying a pet store chinchilla, doing absolutely no kind of quarantine, and then throwing his chinchilla in with it. Any infectious disease it's been harboring since the pet mill, any parasite, you've now exposed your chinchilla to.

The whole thing is kind of a cluster, but what's really disappointing is people coming in to white knight supporting a pet mill, because waiting another month to see if they could locate another breeder or investigate one of these many rescued chins was too hard.

I'm not white knighting the mills, I'm white knighting a pet owner who had good intentions and put a lot of time into trying to find an animal from a good source. If they had a flippant attitude and said "gently caress it, thems just rodents" then sure, go ahead and be a oval office. But this is the reason people hate, or avoid, PI (and probably get their animals from BYBs on their own when they otherwise might not have with help).

How hard is it to say "I found some chinchillas on petfinder.com near you, what are the odds that Petsmart will take a return? The reason you should do this is X, Y, and Z. Also, regardless of which chin it is, it is crucial that you quarantine the new one by [process] for [reasons] (link to reliable chin website on this subject). Good luck and let us know if you have more questions!" (i.e. Ish_Fish's post above was tactful and informative)

How responsive do you think someone would be to sarcastic hostility? When was the last time a poster actually did the right thing after being berated by all the furmommies in this drat forum? How many just straight disappeared and likely did the wrong thing? If you really love animals, use your brain and a little social skills and you'll have more of an effect on their welfare.

edit: I'd also love to see a poll of where every poster in this thread got their rodents. Oh, how the fur would fly!

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 21, 2010