Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

squidflakes posted:

Get too in to underwater photography and 10 grand suddenly becomes "a good beginner's set-up"

Those cats are all crazy

no joke. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quadratica!
Oct 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

squidflakes posted:

Get too in to underwater photography and 10 grand suddenly becomes "a good beginner's set-up"

Those cats are all crazy

I really wanna do this one day.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Yes, I too would like to start a conversation with fellow dive photographers with the dollar amount of gear I flooded on my last outing, then have a throaty laugh and swing another ice cold mexican beer.

Quadratica!
Oct 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
I don't like beer :ohdear:

I just think underwater photography is neat & I want to do more scuba diving :)

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Quadratica! posted:

I really wanna do this one day.

It's very rewarding. Just be prepared to be broke.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My "Canon PowerShot SD4000IS 10 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 3.8x Optical Zoom and f/2.0 Lens (Black)" is set for delivery today. Which means I'll get home, have a "we tried to deliver" note, sign the form, and they'll deliver it tomorrow.

Still, pretty psyched to have a good P&S again. The wife never ever takes pictures because she hates using the big camera.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

torgeaux posted:

My "Canon PowerShot SD4000IS 10 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 3.8x Optical Zoom and f/2.0 Lens (Black)" is set for delivery today. Which means I'll get home, have a "we tried to deliver" note, sign the form, and they'll deliver it tomorrow.

Still, pretty psyched to have a good P&S again. The wife never ever takes pictures because she hates using the big camera.

You cant go to the tracking page and print the paper that you can sign so the delivery man can leave it? I thought UPS, Fedex, and USPS do that now a days.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Shmoogy posted:

You cant go to the tracking page and print the paper that you can sign so the delivery man can leave it? I thought UPS, Fedex, and USPS do that now a days.

Do they really? That would definitely be helpful for me, I dont know about the other guy.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

Do they really? That would definitely be helpful for me, I dont know about the other guy.

I think there might be some sort of thing the seller has to do on their end to enable it, because I couldn't really find anything on the search engines for UPS/Fedex. The last two packages I've received via FedEx have had a link I could click on to print out and sign, if I wanted the delivery man to leave it without anybody being there to accept the package.

I'm fairly certain UPS can do it as well, but I'm not certain how it works with them or USPS.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shmoogy posted:

I think there might be some sort of thing the seller has to do on their end to enable it, because I couldn't really find anything on the search engines for UPS/Fedex. The last two packages I've received via FedEx have had a link I could click on to print out and sign, if I wanted the delivery man to leave it without anybody being there to accept the package.

I'm fairly certain UPS can do it as well, but I'm not certain how it works with them or USPS.

I think it has to be enabled upfront. I can't find a way to do it now. Of course, I'm not at home, so it won't help anyway. I have a plumber there today, maybe he'll sign for it.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

torgeaux posted:

I was looking at that earlier- it's pretty cool that Canon is making point and shoots with fast lenses again, I really hope this becomes a trend.

My ancient Sony Mavica had an f/1.8 lens, I always wondered why they couldn't pack similar lenses into modern point and shoots.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Augmented Dickey posted:

My ancient Sony Mavica had an f/1.8 lens, I always wondered why they couldn't pack similar lenses into modern point and shoots.

I assume it has something to do with the ancient sensors being about the size of a frame of 8mm movie film.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I'm getting a G11 and I'm more psyched than when I got my 5D. I think it's because it means mobility and fun, whereas the 5D represents seriousness and hard work, haha.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

McMadCow posted:

I assume it has something to do with the ancient sensors being about the size of a frame of 8mm movie film.

Eh you're right, the sensor was only 1/4"

nonanone posted:

I'm getting a G11 and I'm more psyched than when I got my 5D. I think it's because it means mobility and fun, whereas the 5D represents seriousness and hard work, haha.

It's really surprising how much mobility comes into play, even when you get serious about photography. I was super psyched when I got my Mamiya 645, but I quickly found myself reverting to TLR's when I realized how huge and heavy it was (especially with the motor drive attached). Sure, the IQ was fantastic, but I couldn't justify using such a massive camera on a regular basis.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Augmented Dickey posted:

It's really surprising how much mobility comes into play, even when you get serious about photography.

Goddamn if this isn't true. I found the tiny-rear end combination of my 410 body and little 25mm pancake lens to still be my favorite walk-around because it's so drat small.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

ease posted:

Met Art photography is simply the best type of photography.

It was a few days back but I don't care

That's the last time I google terms from SA that I don't know.*

:pervert: http://www.met-art.com:nws: :quagmire:

*Not really, I knew what it was.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Augmented Dickey posted:

I was looking at that earlier- it's pretty cool that Canon is making point and shoots with fast lenses again, I really hope this becomes a trend.

I thought those reported apertures needed to be converted to a 35mm/SLR equivalent? Or perhaps that was with older P&S models.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

scottch posted:

I thought those reported apertures needed to be converted to a 35mm/SLR equivalent? Or perhaps that was with older P&S models.

Only the focal length.

Aperture is a ratio. So if the Lens is 5mm but 50mm equiv for FF, the aperture for a F/1.8 would be 2.8mm which would get the same conversion up to the 28mm aperture for a 50mm. Not F/18. :science:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nonanone posted:

Meh. I like that it exists, but I much prefer something I can carry in my pants pockets.

scottch posted:

An aperture is not sensor-size specific.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

evil_bunnY posted:

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that smaller film/sensor size= less glass needed to go super wide.

I have an Angenieux f1.4 constant aperture zoom lens for one of my s8 movie cameras an that has a tiny light path vs a 35mm f1.4. Or are we talking about two different things here...?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McMadCow posted:

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that smaller film/sensor size= less glass needed to go super wide.

I have an Angenieux f1.4 constant aperture zoom lens for one of my s8 movie cameras an that has a tiny light path vs a 35mm f1.4. Or are we talking about two different things here...?

The light path of the 35mm f/1.4 is larger because the lens is larger. The focal length is first converted to the relatively-easy-to-understand 35mm format, e.g. the lens is 8mm, but has the same field of view as a 24mm wide angle lens on the 35mm format, so it's simply called "24mm".

Then, the aperture of the 8mm lens is calculated for the actual lens focal length, that is, 8mm. So, f/1.4 would be 8/1.4 or 5.7mm or so. The actual size of the aperture is the same, no matter the size of the sensor.

Example: Suppose you have a Canon 7D and a 5dII. You put the 50mm f/1.0 on each. The field of view on the 7D is 80mm, while the field of view on the 5DII is 50mm. The maximum aperture on each is still 50mm, because it's the actual focal length that's divided, not the relative field of view. For exposure purposes, your brain is saying, 50mm aperture on an effective 80mm lens is not f/1.0, it's f/1.6. But it's not. The fact that only the center of the circle of light is being used instead of a larger portion of the center of the circle of light doesn't change how much light there is.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 1, 2010

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

torgeaux posted:

The light path of the 35mm f/1.4 is larger because the lens is larger. The focal length is first converted to the relatively-easy-to-understand 35mm format, e.g. the lens is 8mm, but has the same field of view as a 24mm wide angle lens on the 35mm format, so it's simply called "24mm".

Then, the aperture of the 8mm lens is calculated for the actual lens focal length, that is, 8mm. So, f/1.4 would be 8/1.4 or 5.7mm or so. The actual size of the aperture is the same, no matter the size of the sensor.

Example: Suppose you have a Canon 7D and a 5dII. You put the 50mm f/1.0 on each. The field of view on the 7D is 80mm, while the field of view on the 5DII is 50mm. The maximum aperture on each is still 50mm, because it's the actual focal length that's divided, not the relative field of view. For exposure purposes, your brain is saying, 50mm aperture on an effective 80mm lens is not f/1.0, it's f/1.6. But it's not. The fact that only the center of the circle of light is being used instead of a larger portion of the center of the circle of light doesn't change how much light there is.

To further explain or muddy up the watters. If you could put that 35mm f1.4 on your 8mm handicam it would be a ~160mm f1.4 A lens roughly on par with this $5500 beast.

This could quickly devolve into lovely symantec arguments about apparent aperture but suffice it to say that it's easier to make a fast lens for a smaller (lower res) sensor because the quality isn't there to expose the flaws. Imagine if you down sampled every image you took to 2mp. You'd hardly ever see CA.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Meh. I like that it exists, but I much prefer something I can carry in my pants pockets.

Girl pockets. I can't carry anything in them, so anything reasonably convenient that I can fit in a purse is fair game. I could probably do a with a better camera phone too.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Ahh the old Sony Cybershots were awesome to me at the time. I used to drool over Mavicas.

This was my first digital camera : http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-shot-DCS-P30-Digital-Camera/dp/B00005I9PE

It was an awesome macro camera, I took some great photos with it on accident on several occasions.

ease fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 1, 2010

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ease posted:

Ahh the old Sony Cybershots were awesome to me at the time. I used to drool over Mavicas.

This was my first digital camera : http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-shot-DCS-P30-Digital-Camera/dp/B00005I9PE

It was an awesome macro camera, I took some great photos with it on accident on several occasions.

My first digital was the Mavica FD, using the 1.4MB 3.5 inch floppies. I still have those floppy disks somewhere. Of course, I have no computer with a floppy drive.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

torgeaux posted:

Honestly, the world needs to start describing lenses by the their field of view in degrees. There, I said it.

Oh, and lenses should be rated in T-stops.

:colbert:

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Also, put bokeh quality somewhere next the f/# on the lens. Like awesome bokeh, OK bokeh, lovely bokeh.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ease posted:

Also, put bokeh quality somewhere next the f/# on the lens. Like awesome bokeh, OK bokeh, lovely bokeh.

It could all be combined into a composite numerical unit called Rockwells.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Honestly, the world needs to start describing lenses by the their field of view in degrees. There, I said it.

Oh, and lenses should be rated in T-stops.

:colbert:

But the field of view in degrees is dependent entirely on how much of the image circle you decide to crop out, whereas the focal length is (like aperture) a physical property of the lens. The problem is that people _think_ in terms of angle of view -- the only reason that we can use terms like "a 24mm field of view" is because everyone is so used to the 24x36mm image size. I think that's probably starting to change with the number of crop-sensor cameras.

It might be useful for manufacturers to note the angle of view of a lens on the most common format, though. Just stick it on the box or something.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Multiplying by 1.5 or 2 is too hard :cry:

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

Multiplying by 1.5 or 2 is too hard :cry:

Canon is 1.6 you insensitive clod*

* still not that hard.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Found this iPhone app today that I kind of want to give a try.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/plastic-bullet/

Since (my 3G) iPhone has such a lovely camera, turning it into a lomo-kind of thing is sort of appealing. Not sure how I feel about it being faked, but I'm not such a purist that I don't enjoy some of the stuff coming out of the app :)

Kind of like Holga for your iPhone.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Martytoof posted:

Found this iPhone app today that I kind of want to give a try.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/plastic-bullet/

Since (my 3G) iPhone has such a lovely camera, turning it into a lomo-kind of thing is sort of appealing. Not sure how I feel about it being faked, but I'm not such a purist that I don't enjoy some of the stuff coming out of the app :)

Kind of like Holga for your iPhone.

Hipstamtic is really good for that sort of thing, quite slow at times though. But well worth a try.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

torgeaux posted:

My first digital was the Mavica FD, using the 1.4MB 3.5 inch floppies. I still have those floppy disks somewhere. Of course, I have no computer with a floppy drive.

My father bought one a few years ago as a gimmick.

He's always had a thing about collecting cameras and never using them. I hobby that has definitely benefited me.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I re-regged basically 100% for Dorkroom-related reasons. Ya'll are just too good :glomp:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Yay, welcome back. Didn't Dorkasaurus get banned as well?

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Is there a story behind the bannings? I mean, there always is, but is there a good one :)

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I re-regged basically 100% for Dorkroom-related reasons. Ya'll are just too good :glomp:

Welcome back buddy.

I had one of those Mavica FDs as well, it was actually a pretty awesome camera for what it was but the reliability of floppy disks left a lot to desire. I remember them sending me some promo materials about the amazing new CD-R using Mavica and my mind was blown.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

diarrhea for girls posted:

Welcome back buddy.

I had one of those Mavica FDs as well, it was actually a pretty awesome camera for what it was but the reliability of floppy disks left a lot to desire. I remember them sending me some promo materials about the amazing new CD-R using Mavica and my mind was blown.

You know who else liked the Mavica FDs?

That's right, Hitler Ken Rockwell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Welcome back. Now don't go and do something stupid again please.