Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

necroid posted:

Thanks dude, it's this one!

I didn't remember the vampire virus from outer space but the plot is the right one...

Huh, I actually don't remember that, either. Then again, I read it like 15 years go. I do remember his books had way more sexual stuff than R.L. Stine, which is one of the reasons I slogged through them despite not really liking them much.

Thank god I discovered sci-fi/fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

All right, let's see if BB is as good as Games with this kind of thing.

I have two.

The first is a book I read as a kid (long time ago). The cover was green & black from what I can remember (paperback). I think it was aimed at young adults. The story involved a young boy who may have been orphaned. He went to live in this old creepy house that I think was on an Everglades-like swampy area. There were marshes, and reeds, and the boy would take a rowboat or canoe out into the swamps. There was something vaguely creepy going on, that might have involved searching for treasure. I think there was a girl living near by that he befriended or something. I vaguely recall a scene at night with a lantern out on the swamps. Very vague, I know. This probably describes 50,000 different books, but I would dearly love to read it again as an adult. It was probably terrible, but I liked it at the time.

The second book definitely IS terrible. I bought it in a grocery store for kicks. It was about aliens invading Earth. They were susceptible to microwaves. The main character was an American Indian named Broadheart or something like that. He flew a space shuttle against the aliens in an independence day style final confrontation. The alien ships were like giant kidney bean shaped ships. I remember they attacked a sports stadium at one point. The end of the book had the most terrible sex scene I've ever read where the woman actually holds the main character inside her with the power of her VAGINA MUSCLES. I am not kidding. I remember the author's blurb talked about how the guy was a journalist that was trying his hand at science fiction, and it was the most hilariously god awful piece of poo poo I've ever read.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Shonagon posted:

I hope this is OK to ask here: I need a quote identified! Only I can't remember either the quote or the speaker.

It's some tough nut American writer (of the 'bottle of whisky a day' type) and he said something along the lines of "I'd rather let the stableboy gently caress my wife than an editor touch my writing." Only that's not it, and googling similar words has got me nowhere, and I can't find it, and it's really annoying me. Anyone??

William Faulkner. Google gave me:

"I get drunk, I get mad, I get thrown from horses, I get all sorts of things. But I don't get edited. I'd rather see my wife get hosed by the stable boy."

plus a whole lot of sites about guys who want other men to sleep with their wives.

Doctor Zero posted:

The first is a book I read as a kid (long time ago). The cover was green & black from what I can remember (paperback). I think it was aimed at young adults. The story involved a young boy who may have been orphaned. He went to live in this old creepy house that I think was on an Everglades-like swampy area. There were marshes, and reeds, and the boy would take a rowboat or canoe out into the swamps. There was something vaguely creepy going on, that might have involved searching for treasure. I think there was a girl living near by that he befriended or something. I vaguely recall a scene at night with a lantern out on the swamps. Very vague, I know. This probably describes 50,000 different books, but I would dearly love to read it again as an adult. It was probably terrible, but I liked it at the time.

This actually sounds a bit like a book someone was asking about on the previous page which turned out to be Swampland by S. R. Martin.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Lot 49 posted:

This actually sounds a bit like a book someone was asking about on the previous page which turned out to be Swampland by S. R. Martin.

Too new. The book would have to be at least 30 years old. Plus while it had a gothic horror feel to it, I think it ended up being something mundane going on (like pirates or thieves or something). It did sound kind of like it though.

Hydronium
Oct 23, 2008
There was a series I loved as a child, probably British, maybe from/set in the 1930s or thereabouts. It was about a group of kids who I think went back in time and did cool things... I remember a lot of scenes being set in their playroom. Maybe they'd build castles and things in it and then be shrunk and trapped in them? At any rate, they were somehow transported to another world (maybe back in time or into the castle they built?) and had adventures based on Ivanhoe.

Google isn't helping me out much with this one.

Edit: Wow, nevermind. Found it like 10 seconds after I posted this. It was Knight's Castle by Edward Eager.

Hydronium fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 1, 2010

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hydronium posted:

There was a series I loved as a child, probably British, maybe from/set in the 1930s or thereabouts. It was about a group of kids who I think went back in time and did cool things... I remember a lot of scenes being set in their playroom. Maybe they'd build castles and things in it and then be shrunk and trapped in them? At any rate, they were somehow transported to another world (maybe back in time or into the castle they built?) and had adventures based on Ivanhoe.

Google isn't helping me out much with this one.

Edit: Wow, nevermind. Found it like 10 seconds after I posted this. It was Knight's Castle by Edward Eager.

Hm, that just reminded me of a series I read as a kid because my mom had read them when she was my age and wanted me to read them too. Wonder if it's the same series ... my memories of it are incredibly dim, except that I think they were written around that same time (1920s or 30s), and the kids ate a lot of biscuits (which my mom said were probably the British words for cookies). For some reason I'm thinking the series I have in mind was written by a woman, though. But same general premise - kids would either go back in time or to some fantasy land and have adventures. And it wasn't the Narnia series.

e: Looking at Edgar Eager books, I see he wrote Half-Magic. I'm more certain that he's not the right author I'm thinking of -- the fantasy books I mentioned above were more literary in nature than Half-Magic (which is a fun kids book in its own right).

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

regulargonzalez posted:

Hm, that just reminded me of a series I read as a kid because my mom had read them when she was my age and wanted me to read them too. Wonder if it's the same series ... my memories of it are incredibly dim, except that I think they were written around that same time (1920s or 30s), and the kids ate a lot of biscuits (which my mom said were probably the British words for cookies). For some reason I'm thinking the series I have in mind was written by a woman, though. But same general premise - kids would either go back in time or to some fantasy land and have adventures. And it wasn't the Narnia series.

e: Looking at Edgar Eager books, I see he wrote Half-Magic. I'm more certain that he's not the right author I'm thinking of -- the fantasy books I mentioned above were more literary in nature than Half-Magic (which is a fun kids book in its own right).

Possibly E. Nesbit's stuff (Five Children and It, etc., which involves some time travel), but those would be set rather earlier (1890s or so). I don't remember many biscuits though. (Interestingly, Nesbit's The Enchanted Castle is referenced heavily in Half-Magic.)

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Autarch_Severian posted:

Hopefully I'm not repeating a request that has already been in the thread. I scanned through it and didn't see any mention of the story I remember.

It's a short story, science fiction, I had to read it around 2002, but I remember it was from possibly the 70's-80's. It's roughly about the future of the cold war, where America and Russia send a squadron of soldiers each every year to fight to the death in some sort of large arena, the last 'team' with a survivor or group of survivors wins resources and bragging rights for a year, and the survivor is allowed to live the rest of their life without having to obey laws.

I know it's probably "the survivor" or "the arena" but there are quite a bit of short stories and stories with those names.

Very late, but this is certainly "The Survivor" by Walter F. Moudy, a rather famous short story that has been a bajillion anthologies.

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.

Lot 49 posted:

William Faulkner. Google gave me:

"I get drunk, I get mad, I get thrown from horses, I get all sorts of things. But I don't get edited. I'd rather see my wife get hosed by the stable boy."

plus a whole lot of sites about guys who want other men to sleep with their wives.

God drat, your Google-fu is impressive. Thanks! And I'm sorry about the cuckolding sites (which I got without even getting the result).

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is probably a long shot, but I was thinking about a couple books I had as a kid, two were part of an educational series, one was about the natural world and the other about transportation like trains and buses and airplanes. I sort of think they were Japanese (though published in English), since the little "everyboy" character who commented on stuff was sort of anime-looking, and they talked about and had pictures of Japanese bullet trains. A couple other things I remember is a drawing of some roaches crawling near some food, and some stickman devil-looking guys jumping off the roaches' backs onto the food to represent germs.

The other was a book about a bunch of different Olympic sports, with cartoon dogs similar to the Cookie Crisp thieves doing all the sports and track & field events.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hobnob posted:

Possibly E. Nesbit's stuff (Five Children and It, etc., which involves some time travel), but those would be set rather earlier (1890s or so). I don't remember many biscuits though. (Interestingly, Nesbit's The Enchanted Castle is referenced heavily in Half-Magic.)

Thanks for the guess, it's actually the "Adventure" series by Enid Blyton. Might have to pick them up again -- so dimly remembered but well-loved.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Been looking for this for ages:

There's a spaceship that lands on what seems like a deserted planet. Turns out it's actually an agricultural planet for invisible aliens. They get attacked by invisible flying things (probably an automated defense system against pests), and some people die when the ship's AI acts logically and raises the shields when the enemy things come too close.

Then there's also a part about an alien spaceship landing and the alien being all invisible getting inside their own spaceship. But it's telepathic and they force it to become visible by torturing one of their own crew members, after which they can kill it.

I think there's also a boxing match somewhere, maybe, and it's possible I'm mixing up two books.

Any ideas?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

uXs posted:

Been looking for this for ages:

There's a spaceship that lands on what seems like a deserted planet. Turns out it's actually an agricultural planet for invisible aliens. They get attacked by invisible flying things (probably an automated defense system against pests), and some people die when the ship's AI acts logically and raises the shields when the enemy things come too close.

Then there's also a part about an alien spaceship landing and the alien being all invisible getting inside their own spaceship. But it's telepathic and they force it to become visible by torturing one of their own crew members, after which they can kill it.

I think there's also a boxing match somewhere, maybe, and it's possible I'm mixing up two books.

Any ideas?

Torturing own crew to make an invisible alien visible has been in this thread before, I think I looked it up on wikipedia after it was posted and it was a novella in a series about an explorer... Not sure that'll help much but I'm sure it's answered in this thread somewhere.

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
In High School we were issued a book with a collection of short stories in it. One of these stories was about a society where the roles of sexual intercourse and intelligent discussion were reversed. That is to say, people had sex just as they would a discussion and to ask someone their opinion on something was a deeply intimate thing.

Anyone remember this?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
In the lounge of the math department of my college, they had this thin paperback book that had quotes from Edward Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire combined with photos of various historical figures from the 20th century. The only two photos I specifically remember were of Muhammad Ali and Joseph McCarthy, but the general point of the book was to select passages from Gibbon that seemed relevant to particular people and events from recent history. I saw the book in the late 90s, but it was definitely something that had been published quite a bit earlier -- in the 70s or 80s, I would guess.

Googling has revealed nothing on this for me -- I just get various re-prints of or commentaries on Gibbon, or websites containing passages from Decline and Fall. Anyone have any idea what this book was?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Oncogene posted:

In High School we were issued a book with a collection of short stories in it. One of these stories was about a society where the roles of sexual intercourse and intelligent discussion were reversed. That is to say, people had sex just as they would a discussion and to ask someone their opinion on something was a deeply intimate thing.

Anyone remember this?

Sounds kind of like Brave New World, but that's not a short story.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Hughlander posted:

Torturing own crew to make an invisible alien visible has been in this thread before, I think I looked it up on wikipedia after it was posted and it was a novella in a series about an explorer... Not sure that'll help much but I'm sure it's answered in this thread somewhere.

I scrolled through this thread before I posted and I didn't see it anywhere.

Edit: posting it on http://forums.abebooks.com/abesleuthcom too, with a bit more detail

uXs fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 4, 2010

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Was walking through a bookstore where they had this one book on display. Its back cover said something about how in a world where some people had gifts of some sort, the main character (who was female) had the gift of killing or something. I completely forgot the name of the book or the author so I'm stumped. The title was one word though, I do remember that much.

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830

Doctor Zero posted:

Sounds kind of like Brave New World, but that's not a short story.

That's actually the last book I finished reading and it reminded me of this story. It was only about 15 pages long or so.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

puchu posted:

Was walking through a bookstore where they had this one book on display. Its back cover said something about how in a world where some people had gifts of some sort, the main character (who was female) had the gift of killing or something. I completely forgot the name of the book or the author so I'm stumped. The title was one word though, I do remember that much.

That's Graceling, by Kristen Cashore. It's a good one.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pyruvate posted:

This is probably a long shot, but I was thinking about a couple books I had as a kid, two were part of an educational series, one was about the natural world and the other about transportation like trains and buses and airplanes. I sort of think they were Japanese (though published in English), since the little "everyboy" character who commented on stuff was sort of anime-looking, and they talked about and had pictures of Japanese bullet trains. A couple other things I remember is a drawing of some roaches crawling near some food, and some stickman devil-looking guys jumping off the roaches' backs onto the food to represent germs.

I can't remember the name of them, but you aren't crazy. I think I had the full set of them when I was a kid; I remember getting a new one every month by mail. It had the little anime kid interacting with the different things in the books, like getting stung by a sea anemone and stuff. Those books owned.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I can't remember the name of them, but you aren't crazy. I think I had the full set of them when I was a kid; I remember getting a new one every month by mail. It had the little anime kid interacting with the different things in the books, like getting stung by a sea anemone and stuff. Those books owned.

Cool, I hope they're still at my parents' somewhere, and didn't get lost or donated.

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

It's been over two years since I last asked for help identifying this book. Figured I'd try again -

I have no idea when it was published, but I believe it read it in the mid to late 70s.

Science-fiction action adventure genre. Basically, a human male is captured by an alien race and taken to a remote planet where he is the quarry in some sort of intergalactic hunt. Very similar to "The Most Dangerous Game" but with aliens. I think the participants were promised freedom if they survived long enough or reached a specific goal. If I recall, the protagonist makes friends with a large lizard man who is fond of mud-baths. I'm pretty sure needle-guns were involved. I think there may have been a sequel.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
This has been bugging me for about a week now, so I figure it's about time to bring it to the experts.

So there was this book that I think I read about 5 years ago, and now I really want to find it again. Pretty much all I can remember is the main base of the plot and a few details. So pretty much, this guy accidentally stops a car-jacking or a robbery (some crime), and begins receiving postcards with addresses of people that need help written on them, and he decides to assist them because he's a nice guy or really bored.

Pretty much all I remember besides that is:

1. The main character shoots a rapist's ear off in a clocktower at one point.

2. The main character beats the poo poo out of a kid so that the kid's brother will come looking for revenge because I-don't-know.

3. The main characters dog likes coffee.

Sorry for the few details, but does anyone think they know what I'm talking about?

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
I'm trying to remember the name of a fantasy series. This much I do remember:

It has a female author
It centers around two thieves. In the first novel they meet and one becomes the other's apprentice, or something like that.
The quality of the books really began to drop as the series progressed.

Vague, I know, but any help would be appreciated. This is driving me crazy!

Not A Hydroxyl Ion fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 7, 2010

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Not A Hydroxyl Ion posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a fantasy series. This much I do remember:

It has a female author
It centers around two thieves. In the first novel they meet and one becomes the other's apprentice, or something like that.
The quality of the books really began to drop as the series progressed.

Vague, I know, but any help would be appreciated. This is driving me crazy!

Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunners books?

Here's the first one:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/74270.Luck_in_the_Shadows

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!

deety posted:

Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunners books?

Here's the first one:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/74270.Luck_in_the_Shadows

That would be it. Thanks a lot!

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Velvet Elvis posted:

I have no idea when it was published, but I believe it read it in the mid to late 70s.

Science-fiction action adventure genre. Basically, a human male is captured by an alien race and taken to a remote planet where he is the quarry in some sort of intergalactic hunt. Very similar to "The Most Dangerous Game" but with aliens. I think the participants were promised freedom if they survived long enough or reached a specific goal. If I recall, the protagonist makes friends with a large lizard man who is fond of mud-baths. I'm pretty sure needle-guns were involved. I think there may have been a sequel.

Unfortunately I've never read it so I can't be sure, but this might be Philip E. High's Come, Hunt an Earthman judging from the description. That was published mid-70s, so the timing is right.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."
I asked about some books last year, and got answers for most, but I still am looking for two of them.

Here's the list I had:

1. group of people are on a ship orbiting mars. segregated by gender, they are given some sort of serum or drug to allow for very fast adaptation to their environment, which is slowing being changed to that of mars. they are being prepped to be the first martians. I think that at the end of the story they rebel against their creators

2. a group of people, possibly the entire population of a planet, have taken to having all their sensory organs replaced with functional artificial equivalents, that are controlled through a central box. this gives them all completely controllable synesthesia. a big part of their education is learning to control the box. the main character (a girl, if I remember right) experiments with turning more and more of her senses off entirely, eventually shutting them all down

3. think this might be asimov or clarke. spaceship coming back from visiting another star system. star had gone supernova. there was a planet, had a civilization that was destroyed by said supernova. shipboard priest is having a crisis of faith because the supernova would have been seen on earth in about 30BC
Identified as (The Star by Arthur C. Clarke) by Rocambole

4. there's a ship travelling through some sort of hyperspace. one of the crew is telepathic, and maintains communication to earth through her telepathic twin. the farther they go, the more interference they get. stars have conciousness somehow.
Tentatively identified as (Gemini God by Garry Kilworth) by Rocambole

5. read this one online. no idea if anyone will recognize it. story's about an AI that is "grown" or something, kinda like an artificial pregnancy. this is all done in the computer. turns out there's something special about it. I think it goes out into space or something like that, but it's been years since I read this one.
Identified as (Diaspora by Greg Egan) by Hobnob

6. aliens invade earth. we start a guerilla war against them. they run their standardized intelligence test on us (which they weren't supposed to do) and find out we're smarter than they are, they just had/have better tech.
Identified as (Pandora's Legions by Christopher Anvil) by sintaxi

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is going to be kind of long, I apologize, but:

Boy (18ish) travels to his hometown for the first time in years, having been sent away by his mom. Exploring her house, discovers a room that is locked whenever another door is opened (his room), discovers a strange item in that room (my memory tells me it is the hand of a doll but I could be wrong).

Inadvertently finds out that the object allows him to make people disappear, sending them to another dimension. Series of flashbacks shows us that his dad discovered the object and its power, and first used it discretely, but eventually used it on anyone who crossed his path, eventually accidentally using it against himself. His mother kept it as her last link to him, sending the kid away so he wouldn't follow in his footsteps.

Back to present day, he's caught the attention of the town authorities after a few folks disappear, being the newcomer in town. I don't remember anything after that, but if anyone has any ideas, that would be great. It really reminds me of Stephen King, but I've flipped through the books of his that I have and I'm not finding anything. Thanks.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

nuvan posted:

I asked about some books last year, and got answers for most, but I still am looking for two of them.

Here's the list I had:

1. group of people are on a ship orbiting mars. segregated by gender, they are given some sort of serum or drug to allow for very fast adaptation to their environment, which is slowing being changed to that of mars. they are being prepped to be the first martians. I think that at the end of the story they rebel against their creators

Do you happen to know if this is a short story? Because it sounds a lot like Keep Out! by Frederic Brown. It's in Young Mutants, a book of short stories edited by Asimov, Martin Greenburg and Charles Waugh.

This is the first page of the story:

Keep Out! posted:

Daptine is the secret of it. Adaptine, they called it first; then it got shortened to daptine. It let us adapt

They explained it all to us when we were ten years old; I guess they thought we were too young to understand before then, although we knew a lot of it already. They told us just after we landed on Mars.

"You're home, children," the Head Teacher told us after we had gone into the glassite dome they'd built for us there. And he told us there'd be a special lecture for us that evening, an important one that we must all attend.

Cantaloupe posted:

drat, I know exactly what book you're talking about! Give me a day or two to look around and I might have it.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

Wedemeyer posted:

Do you happen to know if this is a short story? Because it sounds a lot like Keep Out! by Frederic Brown. It's in Young Mutants, a book of short stories edited by Asimov, Martin Greenburg and Charles Waugh.

That's the one!

Awesome, just one more to go!

Identified as (Keep Out! by Frederic Brown) by Wedemeyer

2. a group of people, possibly the entire population of a planet, have taken to having all their sensory organs replaced with functional artificial equivalents, that are controlled through a central box. this gives them all completely controllable synesthesia. a big part of their education is learning to control the box. the main character (a girl, if I remember right) experiments with turning more and more of her senses off entirely, eventually shutting them all down

3. think this might be asimov or clarke. spaceship coming back from visiting another star system. star had gone supernova. there was a planet, had a civilization that was destroyed by said supernova. shipboard priest is having a crisis of faith because the supernova would have been seen on earth in about 30BC
Identified as (The Star by Arthur C. Clarke) by Rocambole

4. there's a ship travelling through some sort of hyperspace. one of the crew is telepathic, and maintains communication to earth through her telepathic twin. the farther they go, the more interference they get. stars have conciousness somehow.
Tentatively identified as (Gemini God by Garry Kilworth) by Rocambole

5. read this one online. no idea if anyone will recognize it. story's about an AI that is "grown" or something, kinda like an artificial pregnancy. this is all done in the computer. turns out there's something special about it. I think it goes out into space or something like that, but it's been years since I read this one.
Identified as (Diaspora by Greg Egan) by Hobnob

6. aliens invade earth. we start a guerilla war against them. they run their standardized intelligence test on us (which they weren't supposed to do) and find out we're smarter than they are, they just had/have better tech.
Identified as (Pandora's Legions by Christopher Anvil) by sintaxi

Exasperated Badger
Jun 9, 2009

"Come," he says. "Let me tell you a story. Once, there were four stalwart heroes..."
A short story about a kid who owns a turtle. The kid's abusive parents kill the turtle, and it is implied that the kid snaps and kills the parents at the end.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Cantaloupe posted:

Sorry, I couldn't find it.

Mine:

It's a young adult book, relatively new, or at least published in the last decade.

The title is something like 'Idiots were we' or 'Fools like us' or something like that, which was the exact same thing a character said in the book halfway through. The cover was grey colored too.

The part I remember most is that there was a bug that stung you and apparently it left a sand like irritant just beneath the skin which would turn into a pearl. Side effects included fever and some other stuff.

The main plot--I think--was trying to get a part of a beach protected because there could be some archeological find that was very important. I'm pretty sure it was set in Australia, or a country based on Australia.

Help?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I read a book sometime in the past year by a female author that fits into the fantasy/romance genre and I can't remember the name or the author for the life of me.

The way the world was set up in the book, there was the elf world (can't remember if she called them elves or Sidhe), the human world, and the in-between world. The protagonist lived in the in-between place and took care of her two younger brothers, one of whom could shape shift into a cat of some sort. If I recall correctly, she was feared by her town because she was too powerful, and ended up moving out and taking the kids. She worked in the human world and the boys went to school there too.

Some big nasty evil thing started raising hell and she was trying to take care of it. She was aided by the sometimes annoyance and sometimes love interest who is a full elf/Sidhe. He's some sort of uber-soldier.

At the end of the book she agrees to go meet his family and possibly marry him, and it turns out that he's royalty.

It was a pretty fluffy read but enjoyable nevertheless, but I can't remember what it was called or who wrote it. Any help would be appreciated!

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Fire In The Disco posted:

It was a pretty fluffy read but enjoyable nevertheless, but I can't remember what it was called or who wrote it. Any help would be appreciated!

That's On the Edge by Ilona Andrews, which is the name that a husband and wife team writes under. I usually only end up reading paranormal romance by accident, so I was surprised that I liked it.

A second more romance-ish book set in that world is coming out soon. If you'd like to try something less fluffy, the Kate Daniels books are pretty good UF. Those are set in an alternate-reality Atlanta where the world shifts back and forth between magic and technology working. An interesting twist is that the setting's vampires are undead monsters controlled by necromancers rather than tragic, long-haired sex gods.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Thanks, deety! I did enjoy it and I'm not embarrassed to admit it, so I'll look for the next one! ;)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I have two that I've posted quite a few times before, but no-one's ever been able to help with :(

I'm British, FYI.

1. Sci-fi children's book, read in about 1996

This was a novel about a boy whose computer becomes sentient. Basically the kid leaves his dictionary on top of the computer overnight, and the computer absorbs the letters and words and becomes able to communicate.

The first time it communicates is when the kid is playing a game, and suddenly the words POIUY TREWQ come up on the screen, and the kid asks his mum what it means (I remember it says he pronounces "POIUY" as "poy-oo").

I can't remember what happens after that, but I remember it had a really sad ending - I think the boy had to kill the computer or something. It made lame little me cry!

2. Book for small children, read in around 1991

This one was about a boy (I think) who finds a really big pearl and tries to sell it at market. I know that's no help at all but I remember it being really nicely illustrated and I loved it, so if it sparks any memories at all, please let me know!

Thanks, uber book-finding dudes.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Here's one.

It was a kids book with lots of pictures/paintings. I think it bordered on being a picture book, I can't remember how much was taken up with text. It was about the life of a brontosaurus I think. He was born, grew old, and (I think) died at the end of the story. He also broke his tail at some point and had a big knot it in for the rest of his life. I want to say he died in a drought or trying to cross a desert or something.

It was a realistic/scientifc type book - the dinosaurs weren't talking to each other or anything.

For some reason that book made a real impression on me as a little kid and I've always wanted to find it again. I've tried tons of combinations in Google about children's books, brotosaurus, apatasaurus, broken tails, etc but never come up with anything. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
This might be a futile attempt, since I'm pretty sure the author of this book was Norwegian and it may not have been published in English, but I'll try anyway.

Read: Probably around 2004-2005, pretty sure it came out before that though.
Genre: Young Adult
Plot: The book was about a group of teenagers living in a mall (they slept inside some sort of huge lamp or ornament that hung from the ceiling). They all had some sort of distinctive characteristic that set them apart from the rest of the world (I think there was a really tall kid, and mute kid and a girl who wouldn't stop polishing things). The main character was boy whose special ability was that nobody ever noticed him when he ventured out into the mall (this was never explained, I think). Eventually he met some girl ho could actually see him, and in the end I think the whole group attempts to escape from the mall. There was also a lot of fuss made about how the main character was the only one of them who had actually seen a real tree.

I'm pretty sure the title in Swedish was something along the lines of "Odd" or "Different.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 25, 2010