Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordofokra
Aug 6, 2005

approach light speed and break apart
Yeah I looked at gauntlet style gloves but I wasn't sure how well it would work with the jacket. At least gloves are cheap, I can always pick up some longer ones later.

I was surprised with the price on the helmet too, especially from what I read about the quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Z3n posted:

I'd have gone with over the ankle gloves

Is that like a unitard?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Alright so I have decided on this jacket (first choice) :

http://www.newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/scorpion/hat_trick_mesh_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

OR this jacket:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/textile+motorcycle+jackets/scorpion_holeshot+jacket

And these boots (first choice) :

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/fusion_motorcycle_boots.html

Or these boots:

http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/boots/sidi/vertigo_air_motorcycle_boots_white_only.html

Or these boots:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+boots/joe+rocket_super+street+boots

Basically, if anyone can suggest a better jacket or cheaper boots I would appreciate it, or help narrow these down.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Do they make these in mesh?

frozenphil posted:

Is that like a unitard?

Goddamnit. :saddowns:

Stoic, I'd go with the vertigo airs...they're nicer, more protective boots for cheaper, and the hat trick jacket appeals to me more, but that's just personal taste.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 2, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

I'd have gone with over the ankle gloves, but besides that, everything seems pretty decent if you don't want to go full on with motorcycle boots.

Those would be some long rear end gloves.

e: gently caress, beaten like Brooke Mueller

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 2, 2010

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

frozenphil posted:

Is that like a unitard?

Hey, you never know what you'll need on a motorcycle.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Z3n posted:

What sort of riding are you going to be doing? If you want the more casual look, I'd pair the jeans with some knee armor that you can slip under them.

Otherwise, I'd probably go with some textile pants to toss over underarmor or jeans depending on the weather.

It's probably going to be evenly-distributed between commuting and weekend corner-carving sessions. I'm mostly after pants that I can wear around the house and in town without getting too hot or looking like I'm wearing half of a space suit (that's what the Phantom is for).

If I go for the jeans, should I get the optional (~$40) knee and hip armor that they sell with it, or go for an aftermarket solution?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

sectoidman posted:

It's probably going to be evenly-distributed between commuting and weekend corner-carving sessions. I'm mostly after pants that I can wear around the house and in town without getting too hot or looking like I'm wearing half of a space suit (that's what the Phantom is for).

If I go for the jeans, should I get the optional (~$40) knee and hip armor that they sell with it, or go for an aftermarket solution?

What about the Cortech MOD denim jeans? Someone posted earlier that they survived a crash well.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
What are the options out there for really goddamn skinny people? I got a Joe Rocket mesh jacket back when I bought my bike (which is still in pieces in my shop, I know, shut up) that fits great so far as length is concerned, but is entirely too loose on my arms and torso. I'm 5'11" ~150lbs and I can't seem to come up with much outside of getting custom leathers which would be pretty cool, but I don't really need the expense at the moment, and the FL heat might be a bit much. Any suggestions?

I'll probably end up selling the jacket I have either on here or eBay, seeing as it was only ever worn for the MSF and is pretty much brand new.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Boat posted:

What are the options out there for really goddamn skinny people? I got a Joe Rocket mesh jacket back when I bought my bike (which is still in pieces in my shop, I know, shut up) that fits great so far as length is concerned, but is entirely too loose on my arms and torso. I'm 5'11" ~150lbs and I can't seem to come up with much outside of getting custom leathers which would be pretty cool, but I don't really need the expense at the moment, and the FL heat might be a bit much. Any suggestions?

I'll probably end up selling the jacket I have either on here or eBay, seeing as it was only ever worn for the MSF and is pretty much brand new.

Eat more. A skinny biker is an abomination against FREEDOM. :patriot:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Boat posted:

I'm the same size as you, and I found that the Scorpion Stinger jacket linked earlier in this thread fit me exceptionally well.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Boat posted:

If you can find any Dainese stuff around to try on you might want to give that a go. They typically have a skinny/euro cut to their gear. Only downside is that it's expensive.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

Eat more. A skinny biker is an abomination against FREEDOM. :patriot:
I've been the exact same weight since I graduated high school a decade ago. It's just not happening.

Agrias120 posted:

I'm the same size as you, and I found that the Scorpion Stinger jacket linked earlier in this thread fit me exceptionally well.

Numinous posted:

If you can find any Dainese stuff around to try on you might want to give that a go. They typically have a skinny/euro cut to their gear. Only downside is that it's expensive.
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can't check those out.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Boat posted:

We're the same build, both live in FL, and both have an everlasting-project as a bike. Are you me? :tinfoil:

A* also has a slimmer euro (read: properly shaped) cut in their jackets. Might want to give those a whirl.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

AncientTV posted:

A* also has a slimmer euro (read: properly shaped) cut in their jackets.

Maybe if you're some limp wristed limey.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I weigh less therefore go faster :chord:

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

AncientTV posted:

I weigh less therefore go faster :chord:

You are the lotus of people.

HEY! Idea. I have been having illumination problems on my BMW, right. Everyone does- motorbike lighting generally sucks. Well, I thought of a solution. Nightvision! You can get one of those military style helmet mounts, they flip up and down, and mount up a pair of NVGs to your crash lid. Now, there are a few problems with this, like peripheral vision and such, but people fly helicopters, drive tanks, and poo poo with them; so how bad could it be? Plus, you could wire up a switch to kill all your lights on your bike, like no headlamp, no brakelamp, nothing, just howl down the road at night like a ghost!

Come on, this would work, amirite?

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

PadreScout posted:

Come on, this would work, amirite?

It costs about $10k to have a set with good depth perception, and I'd put money on you falling and breaking them on your first ride.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

UserNotFound posted:

It costs about $10k to have a set with good depth perception, and I'd put money on you falling and breaking them on your first ride.

You gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet.

Eggs, in this particular situation being 5 figure night vision equipment.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Also, you'd probably be nearly blinded by every car passing you, BUT COME ON IT'S NIGHTVISION.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Boat posted:

I've been the exact same weight since I graduated high school a decade ago. It's just not happening.

Just you wait, bucko it will catch up with you one day.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

AncientTV posted:

BUT COME ON IT'S NIGHTVISION.

This here is a man who knows where his towel is.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Boat posted:

Joe Rocket is known for having a very baggy cut, it's just how the brand is. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm 6'0" and 160lbs (WOOHOO FINALLY PUT ON SOME WEIGHT), and finding stuff that fits is tricky.

This might sound strange, but I've had really good luck looking at women's jackets. They tend to be cut much slimmer and more form-fitting, and as long as you don't get something that's covered in pink sparkly flowers, there's a lot of things out there that look really nice.

If you're in Florida and you want a heavily vented jacket, look at the Teknic Supervent and Supervent Pro. Teknic, as well as brands like Rev-it, Scorpion, and to a lesser extent Alpine Star have a "European" cut, which is much slimmer and more tapered. Actually, Motorcycle Superstore has had a couple of really nice mesh Scorpion jackets on clearance for really cheap recently.

Also, look at the Teiz suits and jackets. http://www.teizms.com/ They have Tall sizes and seem to be very slim-fitting. A lot of the stuff seems to be more touring oriented, and they're pretty new so there haven't been many reviews yet, but their stuff looks to be very nice. And the prices are AWESOME.

Tsaven Nava fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 3, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Boat posted:

custom leathers

Check out Tilt Customs. They will make you a custom sized leather suit for $450. The reviews seem pretty favorable.

PadreScout posted:

Nightvision!

Having driven a HMMWV extensively while using NVGs I have to say, gently caress no. I've used the latest and greatest military hardware (as of 2004 when I got out) and depth perception is still abysmal. Helicopter pilots can get away with it easier because they are above most stuff they could crash in to and have gauges to tell them when they are going too low. I wouldn't want to ride or drive anything on the ground much faster than maybe 35mph while using NVGs.

Funny story for those who have been in the military. I was once driving my battalion XO back to an AAR at night after an exercise in the box at JRTC. For some dumb reason the OC that was with us refused to believe that we were in the downtime period between exercises and insisted that we drive out under blackouts and NVGs.

We get to this little creek crossing and my XO cum TC decides that he's going to be all Captain (Major) America and guide me across this water crossing on foot. He's your typical pogue officer and doesn't understand that you lose all depth perception under NVGs, especially his lovely AN/PVS-7Bs. He's standing there in front of me telling me to move forward and I am inches from hitting him so I speak up and try to warn him.
"Don't loving tell me how close your god damned vehicle is to hitting me, just give that fucker some gas so we can get out of this loving creek and back to the meeting".

Now, this dude was a huge rear end in a top hat and I was tired so I decided to listen to him. I put my foot to the floor and smacked him with the brush guard sending him sprawling onto the hood. He starts screaming for me to stop so I put both feet into it and launched him into the muddy shore of the creek a good five feet away. I crossed the creek myself, picked his muddy, wet rear end up and dropped him off at his meeting. He had no time to change and spent 3 hours in that cold rear end auditorium soaking wet and covered in mud while briefing a visiting 2 star.

He bought me pizza after the meeting was over and was never a douche bag to enlisted again as far as I know. People kept asking me if kicked his rear end or something because his attitude change was so dramatic.

That's my "NVGs suck" story.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

Joe Rocket is known for having a very baggy cut, it's just how the brand is. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm 6'0" and 160lbs (WOOHOO FINALLY PUT ON SOME WEIGHT), and finding stuff that fits is tricky.
Jesus, I'm pretty sure I would resemble a skeleton at 160 lbs. (I'm 6'1".) I mean, I could stand to lose like 50 lbs, but I'm still built generally big.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Endless Mike posted:

Jesus, I'm pretty sure I would resemble a skeleton at 160 lbs. (I'm 6'1".) I mean, I could stand to lose like 50 lbs, but I'm still built generally big.

You'd never never have to worry about a second helping of burgers! Yes, life is grand.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

frozenphil posted:

What about the Cortech MOD denim jeans? Someone posted earlier that they survived a crash well.

Those look pretty good, and I do like that they come with knee armor built-in, but it doesn't look like it has a lot of leather outside the obvious impact areas. Also, the fact that it uses leather instead of kevlar will make it harder to wash and care for.

I was also looking at Slider Jeans, which I like because they have plenty of coverage and are machine wash/dryable, but which I hesitate to buy due to their apparent lack of provision for knee/hip armor. Something like them but with at least knee armor would be drat near perfect for my purposes.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

frozenphil posted:

That's my "NVGs suck" story.

What about using something like an IR camera hooked up to a display inside the helmet? Mercedes does something like that with it's S class sedan for increased visibility at night.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

sectoidman posted:

Those look pretty good, and I do like that they come with knee armor built-in, but it doesn't look like it has a lot of leather outside the obvious impact areas. Also, the fact that it uses leather instead of kevlar will make it harder to wash and care for.

You're looking at jeans, you're not going to get much protection to begin with. There's a crash report in this thread regarding those pants and they seem to have held up just fine with the leather panels they have. If you want something that offers comfort while not making you look like a power ranger and are willing to sacrifice protection to do it, it doesn't get much better than those pants.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

PlasticSun posted:

What about using something like an IR camera hooked up to a display inside the helmet? Mercedes does something like that with it's S class sedan for increased visibility at night.

What, mothfucker FLIR?! Hell yeah, that'd work.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

PlasticSun posted:

You would still have depth perception problems, but you're also going to have focus problems. Do you look at the screen or try to look through it to judge depth? It's the same problem people had with those smiley face vinyl wrapped visors. The dots kept stealing their focus and forced them to consciously avoid looking at the dots and instead look through them. Most of them complained of severe headaches while wearing those visors.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Endless Mike posted:

And the end of my big bike trip, I was down to 141lbs.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

sectoidman posted:

I was also looking at Slider Jeans, which I like because they have plenty of coverage and are machine wash/dryable, but which I hesitate to buy due to their apparent lack of provision for knee/hip armor. Something like them but with at least knee armor would be drat near perfect for my purposes.

The Cortech Mod jeans are machine washable, I do it all the time. So, they're pretty easy to care for actually.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2393894&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=119#post377024810

There's the post where I posted the pictures of their crash test as well.

that one guy chad fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 3, 2010

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
:siren: Avoid buying from https://www.motorcycles508.com if you can. :siren:

I ordered a small red scorpion stinger jacket from them over 3 weeks ago and over a week passed and it didn't ship. I call them up and I get typical bait and switch tactics of 'oh that price was a mistake blah blah but I can give you a good deal on something else because we're buddies'. I had them refund me without thinking and then with the encouragement of forum members here I re-ordered it an hour later with the hopes that I would talk them into shipping it because it'd been advertised on their site for a month with that price. Shortly after, memorial day weekend happened and they were closed so. Couldn't call in, but Tuesday morning bright and early my order gets cancelled with no notice. I immediately re-place it and swear to call them asap.

I check the site before I call and the red isn't even listed, just the blue. I just got off the phone with them and they say the red is out of stock and they probably won't get any more because it's discontinued. loving great. :negative: same guy who I talked to on the phone before and he doesn't seem to remember me from before. I asked if I could just be shipped a blue one instead if that's all they had in stock and he took down my phone number and promised to check with the supplier and call back.

I just wanted a small red scorpion stinger and these chucklefucks were the last place on the Internet I found that had smalls in stock. Anybody have another place to look? Should I just cut and run or should I stick with seemingly my only chance to get this jacket in small for less than $200 anywhere on the Internet. And before you people direct me to motorcycle closeouts or whatever, they have XL and up. I need a small.

I hope this jacket is as awesome as everybody says it is or I put out all this effort for nothing.

(I typed this on my cell phone so sorry if it's formatted weird or something)

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 3, 2010

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

frozenphil posted:

You would still have depth perception problems, but you're also going to have focus problems. Do you look at the screen or try to look through it to judge depth? It's the same problem people had with those smiley face vinyl wrapped visors. The dots kept stealing their focus and forced them to consciously avoid looking at the dots and instead look through them. Most of them complained of severe headaches while wearing those visors.

Interesting and good to know!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Rontalvos posted:

I ordered a small red scorpion stinger jacket from them over 3 weeks ago and over a week passed and it didn't ship. I call them up and I get typical bait and switch tactics of 'oh that price was a mistake blah blah but I can give you a good deal on something else because we're buddies'. I had them refund me without thinking and then with the encouragement of forum members here I re-ordered it an hour later with the hopes that I would talk them into shipping it because it'd been advertised on their site for a month with that price. Shortly after, memorial day weekend happened and they were closed so. Couldn't call in, but Tuesday morning bright and early my order gets cancelled with no notice. I immediately re-place it and swear to call them asap.

I check the site before I call and the red isn't even listed, just the blue. I just got off the phone with them and they say the red is out of stock and they probably won't get any more because it's discontinued. loving great. :negative: same guy who I talked to on the phone before and he doesn't seem to remember me from before. I asked if I could just be shipped a blue one instead if that's all they had in stock and he took down my phone number and promised to check with the supplier and call back.

I just wanted a small red scorpion stinger and these chucklefucks were the last place on the Internet I found that had smalls in stock. Anybody have another place to look? Should I just cut and run or should I stick with seemingly my only chance to get this jacket in small for less than $200 anywhere on the Internet. And before you people direct me to motorcycle closeouts or whatever, they have XL and up. I need a small.

I hope this jacket is as awesome as everybody says it is or I put out all this effort for nothing.

(I typed this on my cell phone so sorry if it's formatted weird or something)

That really sucks, but I can honestly say the jacket is every bit as awesome as people are letting on. Not only does it fit well and seem to offer good protection, but it insulates VERY well with the liner in. With the liner out it breathes and I don't have any discomfort riding in 80-90F weather as long as I'm moving. I bought the white one, and I get a lot of compliments everywhere I go :c00l:.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Rontalvos posted:

not to poo poo on your parade, but just looking at the front page of that site screams "scam" to me.

Maybe it is the second-gen geocitiesesque layout or the fact that their policies can be summed up in five sentences but, seriously, it looks sketchy as hell.

On the other hand, I just bought something from newbonneville.com and it shipped promptly although the site looks like it was designed by an eight year old.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Would paratrooper boots offer decent ankle protection? Maybe with some sort of a brace also worn inside the boot? I'd think twisting an ankle while hitting the ground would have been a design concern for them as well.

Rello
Jan 19, 2010
Hey, I am going to be taking a Canadian equivalent of the MSF (http://www.canmocycle.ca/content_fr...=rider_training) in the summer most likely, however the course requires us to bring all the gear (Applicants must provide their own street legal helmet, leather gloves, leather or jean jacket, pants and above the ankle footwear. Note: running shoes are NOT acceptable.).

This means i have to buy it all, but I am a little bit reluctant to do this as I don't want to drop $410(course cost) + $300~ on something i might not pursue. Is there anyway I can get a full set of gear on the cheap somewhere? (sub $150, used is fine).

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rello posted:

Hey, I am going to be taking a Canadian equivalent of the MSF (http://www.canmocycle.ca/content_fr...=rider_training) in the summer most likely, however the course requires us to bring all the gear (Applicants must provide their own street legal helmet, leather gloves, leather or jean jacket, pants and above the ankle footwear. Note: running shoes are NOT acceptable.).

This means i have to buy it all, but I am a little bit reluctant to do this as I don't want to drop $410(course cost) + $300~ on something i might not pursue. Is there anyway I can get a full set of gear on the cheap somewhere? (sub $150, used is fine).

Thanks.

Parker Bros in Toronto used to loan gear for courses. Don't know if they still do but it's worth giving them a call, if they don't they should be able to tell you if anyone else does.