Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Icept posted:

On a scale to 1-10, how crucial is changing the air filter at this point in time?

It's a foam filter isn't it? Just shake out all the flies and dirt and give it a light coating of oil and it'll be good for thousands of miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I went to the local shop's open house day which didn't seem to be a whole lot different than their normal Saturdays other free hot dogs than a rather attractive girl in a bikini washing bikes. She was a 'Bama fan, though, so I couldn't let her touch my bike. I also spent too much money on tires and the installation of them. Plus side, I got to talk to a guy with a DRZ who has done pretty much everything short of a stroker on it. Nice guy.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
Ugh, I went to four stores today trying to track down a 12mm crush washer. No luck. Am I asking for the wrong thing? The Cycle Gear guy knew what I was talking about, but the three auto stores he recommended just gave me looks like "Do you mean a 12 gauge washer?"

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

benwards posted:

Am I asking for the wrong thing?

No. The world is filled with idiot fucks who don't know what a crush washer is. I went to a bunch of stores too and got "You need a crushed...washer??". I ended up ordering them online and paying more in shipping than the cost of the washers.

I started replacing the chain and sprockets on the 636. Got the chain off, only to realize I had to put it back on to break loose the engine sprocket. Reconnected it, put a board across the rear wheel to keep it from spinning...and promptly snapped the board trying to break loose the sprocket nut. When I get a job the first thing I'm doing is buying an air compressor and impact gun.

:bang:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

benwards posted:

Ugh, I went to four stores today trying to track down a 12mm crush washer. No luck. Am I asking for the wrong thing? The Cycle Gear guy knew what I was talking about, but the three auto stores he recommended just gave me looks like "Do you mean a 12 gauge washer?"

if you still have the old one anneal it with a blowtorch (copper only not aluminium), good for a couple of re-uses

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Strapped it to the Dyno, 130.2 HP, 72.9 torque at the wheel SAE for the Streetfighter. Exactly where it should be VS a 1098 with it's stock intakes. Very happy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Fixed the KDX after my last crash then took it to windrock for some dirt riding. 40 miles of dirt riding with only one low speed crash on some slick clay.

A bit sore from standing for most of the day on the bike but it was a lot of fun. Good prep for the dual sport ride tomorrow.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I mounted Rox risers to my R100GS. I rode 5500 miles with the stock configuration, which was obviously set up for a tall person with long arms because my short stubby arms were locked all the time. The risers brought them up about an inch and a half and I finished my trip with a lot more comfort.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void
Greased the rear axle bearings, shimmed the cush drive, reset chain slack, and aligned the rear wheel. Dealer I bought it from had one side of the axle ~1/4" out from proper alignment with the front wheel :saddowns:

Also finally got "The String Thing" down. Definitely more time consuming, but infinitely less frustrating than measuring swingarm->rim or pivot->axle and fighting to keep the measurement straight.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Tore the whole top-end of the engine apart trying to fix a oil leak in the cilinder base gasket. Threw some red silicon loctite on any contact areas that the gaskets don`t get just to be extra-safe. Now it`s waiting till tomorrow to see if it works out. This drat oil leak is the loving bane of my existence, i`ve taken the top of the engine apart 3 times trying to fix it already :(

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I just spent a shitload of money and ordered these:

http://www.happy-trail.com/BMW-R100GS/Aluminum-Panniers-Teton-R100GS.aspx
I have them on my F650 and riding the R100 around town these past two days have made it feel useless since I can't haul anything. Anyone want to buy an old set of lovely BMW system cases before I take 'em out back and let mr. 12 gauge have them?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

N183CS posted:

I have them on my F650 and riding the R100 around town these past two days have made it feel useless since I can't haul anything. Anyone want to buy an old set of lovely BMW system cases before I take 'em out back and let mr. 12 gauge have them?

As a part-time GS rider and member of the MOA, I am obligated by contract to scold you for not buying the Touratech boxes.

That out of the way- loving good looking set of panniers, I hear good things about happytrails, so congrats.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
UPGRAYEDD

Put on a mikuni carb and got rid of that iron cross bullshit. The carb should increase response quite a bit, haven't had a chance to take it out for a ride yet, though. Last two weeks of school, then I should be able to get things all tested out.

Edit: oh yeah, and if you look at the motor mount, you can see the half-rear end notch I cut to make the valve check process not include partially dropping the engine.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 1, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

N183CS posted:

One of the guys at my office put a set of happy trails panniers on his KLR not too long ago, they seem extremely nice.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
The set I have on my F650 are pretty much bulletproof. They survived the TAT, including a crash bad enough to throw the bike several feet. The bars are narrower than the boxes and the previous owner said he clipped a tree. There's a big dent but I doubt any other pannier would've survived. I'm excited to mount them to the GS so I can ride it to work.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Endless Mike posted:

I also spent too much money on tires and the installation of them.

I spent $375 installed for some Sport Demons, do I win?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

frozenphil posted:

Wow, for once something that I don't feel I'm getting screwed on being in Australia: I can get a set of those, fitted and balanced for AUD$330.

:smug:

Also, I acquired a lovely stainless steel pipe for my bike today. Now to fit it! It's going to sound soooo nice.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

benwards posted:

What kind of bike? I don't know if it's the right size, but the Honda bike dealer I go to always gives me one when I buy a filter.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

It's an '84 CB700SC. I bought my filter from Cycle Gear, but they didn't have any appropriately sized washers. I'll be going back today for some more stuff, so I'll check again. Unfortunately, the nearest Honda dealer is quite some distance away, near as I can tell on google.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

benwards posted:

It's an '84 CB700SC. I bought my filter from Cycle Gear, but they didn't have any appropriately sized washers. I'll be going back today for some more stuff, so I'll check again. Unfortunately, the nearest Honda dealer is quite some distance away, near as I can tell on google.

If it's the right size, I'm fairly sure I have extra. I could just mail you one if you want.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

If it's the right size, I'm fairly sure I have extra. I could just mail you one if you want.

Wow, that'd be great! I'm gonna do one more check at the store today (since I was going to spend today working on the bike anyway), but if that doesn't work out I'll send you a PM and we can work it out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

frozenphil posted:

...No.

:smith:

But I'm only winning by like $10. Pyrrhic victories ITT.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 3, 2010

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
so my klr was making this annoying noise the other day. Since I just adjusted the doohickey, I was freaking out. Turns out when I replaced the skid plate, it was just barely touching the side of the engine case and vibrating.:doh:

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
FINALLY got my caliper relocation bracket for the 320mm rotor. Never order from klr650.com, they are clowns who can't manage what customer has what address and what part number is what part.

Got it on, and I ended up with a very slight periodic hang when turning the wheel. Turns out one of the provided bolts is juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust too long, and baaaaaaaaaaaaaaarely makes contact with the round bits that connect the outer part of the rotor to the inner part.

Off to find a washer or a shorter bolt or a file. Then its riding time :D

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Since the theme is KLR's at the moment, I replaced about 6 bolts that rattled loose today, including one on the bottom of the fork that helps secure the axle I guess.. I think this was also causing an annoying noise/squeak. :/ I thought I checked them for tightness often enough, but apparently not. . .

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I noticed after about 3,000 miles that my rear is finally starting to square off. Just that faint "hey, i think it's not perfectly round anymore" look that made me stare at it for 10 minutes to decided if I was seeing things...

So I took it up and down some twisties to try to even it out!

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Just wait for a day with really steady strong winds, and pick a perpendicular road to ride up and down. :)

Since I can't have a working bike, I decided after a short jaunt (after a washer fixed my rotor problem) to tackle the sticky throttle problem I just noticed. Kawasaki uses brass screws that are butter soft in the worst places. It was getting dark, so tomorrow I will drill the head out of the screw I stripped and see if I can't lube the throttle cables.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

sklnd posted:

FINALLY got my caliper relocation bracket for the 320mm rotor. Never order from klr650.com, they are clowns who can't manage what customer has what address and what part number is what part.

Got it on, and I ended up with a very slight periodic hang when turning the wheel. Turns out one of the provided bolts is juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust too long, and baaaaaaaaaaaaaaarely makes contact with the round bits that connect the outer part of the rotor to the inner part.

Off to find a washer or a shorter bolt or a file. Then its riding time :D

yeah they suck, and their poo poo is mostly knock offs from china.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Front brake has been squeaking pretty bad for the past week or two so gave them a check the other day. Pad's we're fairly worn and crumbling around some of the edges.

Picked up some new pads and fluid as well as a funky little bleeding tube with a one way valve. The calliper (only one, poor little 125) is on the opposite side of the bike to the lever so the one way valve really helped when flushing the old fluid out, just pump away. Was close to picking up a set of braided hoses too but they wouldn't be delivered in time to be able to get everything done before the weekend :(

Managed to get the pads and fluid changed in about an hour and went for a quick ride to start bedding the new pads in. It's good being back to not having horrible squeaks every time I pull the lever.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I love my local garage shop. There's one guy that does all the front desk stuff, he's really switched on and knows almost everything about our bikes (1993 CB400 Superfours, not really common). And the guys in the back seem to know their stuff. But there's this other guy on the desk who seems completely useless.

Main gripe is that they rarely pull their finger out, unless there's a really good reason (they got my XR125 up and running within the week when I explained I had to ride it to Nottingham on the weekend).

Called them yesterday to see how my forks are coming; they're in for the seals to be replaced. I've already done it once, this will be the 3rd time in 18 months, so I got them to do it to make drat sure it's done properly. I'd bought the seals and oil before I couldnae get the old seals out. Anyway, the useless bloke on the desk said that they were waiting for a shipment for the seals. Cue puzzled sounds from yours truly. Gotta call them again, hope I get the proper bloke.

I hope it'll be fixed soon. I was fine when I hadnae ridden for a while, but having my other bike fixed and rideable for 2 days before I passed it on to little sis has given me the itch again. Think I'm getting cabin fever, it's my only means of transport.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Friggin gave up on that front sprocket on the 636. Heating it up with a torch just made it easier for the thing to strip. But I inspected the teeth and compared it with worn pics and it looks as though it isn't even worn down at all so I'll leave it. I did replace the rear and chain though.

The previous owner told me the bike has -1 +2...well it doesn't; it's -1 and stock rear. I ordered -1 +2, thinking it was a direct replacement, so now I have even more acceleration and way off speedo. So after saying I wasn't going to spend any more money I broke down and ordered a speedohealer. I think my next ride is gonna be even more ridiculous than when I removed the accelerator cap on the Husky! Woahh!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The best part is that the 636 doesn't even really need regearing to be decent enough for street riding, with -1/+2 you're going to be having a great time.

Seriously though. Impact wrench.

Also, you did fold the lockwasher flat, correct?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

The best part is that the 636 doesn't even really need regearing to be decent enough for street riding, with -1/+2 you're going to be having a great time.

Seriously though. Impact wrench.

Also, you did fold the lockwasher flat, correct?

Yeah really, I thought it was great before and wouldn't have upped the gearing on purpose. At least I won't be cruising too fast on the highway now, just cause I don't want to have to listen to the thing at 10k rpms with a laser exhaust.

As for the washer, pounded it flat quite a bit...which just made it a huge pain to then bend back again. What happened was the PO changed just that front sprocket, had the work done at a dealer, and they impacted it on instead of torquing it to spec. Otherwise I probably could've gotten it off. I'll post a pic later to make sure my riveting is ok to go.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Today I am loading the bike up for another trip into the Texas Hills. This time we're staying in Junction and will be meeting up with about 20 or so other ST11/1300 owners and some friends with other make/model bikes. Some of the group will hit the Three Sisters, but my wife and I are thinking of heading to Del Rio to check out a winery there and see if we can find some good Mexican food.

Here's to not getting shot/stabbed/mugged/dead in a border town!

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Gnaghi posted:

What happened was the PO changed just that front sprocket, had the work done at a dealer, and they impacted it on instead of torquing it to spec. Otherwise I probably could've gotten it off. I'll post a pic later to make sure my riveting is ok to go.

Aren't you in NJ? If so, you're welcome to stop by and use my cordless impact. I had no issues getting the last few front sprockets I've done off.

edit: curing z3n disease.

laymil fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 3, 2010

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
The past few days I have removed the carbs from the SV because fuel was leaking onto my garage floor. I came to find out that my carbs were dirty, the float needle was either stuck open on both carbs (or just bad) AND the fuel petcock doesn't work as it should and just lets gas through.

I've totally cleaned the carbs (which were dirty) and also found the choke cable was trashed (thanks, PO!). Ordered new cable, currently waiting on it, should be here within an hour or so (UPS, GET HERE!!!). Installed a manual fuel switch in line, hope it works.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

laymil posted:

Aren't you in NJ? If so, you're welcome to stop by and use my cordless impact. I had no issues getting the last few front sprockets I've done off.

edit: curing z3n disease.

Awesome, thanks dude. I know a guy with one, but since it wasn't worn out I just decided to put if off so I could get back to riding. Save all that pain in the rear end stuff for winter.

I didn't know anyone else was in NJ. I could of sworn I was the only NJ guy on that SA biker map that was put up awhile ago.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Today I got a hole in my rear tire on the way to work :(

It was only 5 minutes from home, so at the end of the day I went back, put a tar plug in and rode it back home. Now it sits in the carport waiting a new tire :(

I'd rather buy a new one than do a proper plug, as it's already got 10,000 KM on it anyway. Still, I coulda got some more life out of it and I would rather have it changed when I wanted. You know, when the replacement was HERE. Agh.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Pulled super super loud 4-1 pipes off.
Mounted factory 4-2 (with mufflers) on.
Broke off one of the exhaust mounting bolts on the engine block.
Ran the bike anyway and discovered many squeaks and groans I couldn't hear before over the roar of the exhaust.
Found out you have to have exhausts off anyway to put the center stand back on.
Am about to drink self into coma.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bought a GoPro.

I'm excited as hell to try it out.