Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Everyone's WRX I come across sounds sweet, except mine. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

warwick5s posted:

Same here, mine just clunks and feels like poo poo when I drive over bumps. :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Mine doesn't clunk or anything, it just doesn't have any zazz.

A catback would do the trick, right? Any recommendations? I don't want to get too far from stock while I'm still under warranty, and I'd lean towards going with the SPT one, even though it's expensive, just to stick with Subaru parts.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have an STI catback, it sounds nice. :)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Wrar posted:

I have an STI catback, it sounds nice. :)

Just the stock catback from an STI, on your WRX?

edit: gently caress, it looks like having the factory hitch on my car is going to severely reduce my options. :smith:
edit2: Does the STI catback fit on a wagon?

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 29, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, if you can get a catback off an STI (might be more difficult with an 08+ WRX) they have excellent flow and make the sound you're looking for. I think there's a thread on NASIOC or one of the local Subaru clubs where a guy flow-tests all the major catbacks and ends up determining that an STI pull is the best cost to benefit ratio.

Once other stuff is taken care of I'll be looking for one for my '06. Going from the EJ20 to the EJ25 has a pretty negative effect on exhaust tone. :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Is there any reason why an exhaust off an 04 STi wouldn't work on my 07 WRX wagon?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

warwick5s posted:

Is there any reason why an exhaust off an 04 STi wouldn't work on my 07 WRX wagon?
Not that I know of. I have an 06 STi exhaust on my 05 Saabaru wagon.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Seat Safety Switch posted:

http://www.badgeofownership.com/Default.aspx

Pretty much all of you have to sign up for the lower-left badge. Unfortunately, it seems like it's US-only.

Is this just for newer cars? It says my VIN from my 87 GL isn't a recognized subaru VIN. Too bad I don't have the VIN off my old 2.5rs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

NinjaTech posted:

Is this just for newer cars? It says my VIN from my 87 GL isn't a recognized subaru VIN. Too bad I don't have the VIN off my old 2.5rs.
I bet they've only programmed the website to handle newer cars, but I suspect if you phone a dealership/SOA and complain about it they'll happily send you some free stuff.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I bet they've only programmed the website to handle newer cars, but I suspect if you phone a dealership/SOA and complain about it they'll happily send you some free stuff.

I'm going to do that on tuesday, the number said their offices were closed.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

NinjaTech posted:

Shhh, don't tell anyone. But you can just go on craigslist and get one of the vin's from the subaru's for sale by dealer.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Amandyke posted:

Shhh, don't tell anyone. But you can just go on craigslist and get one of the vin's from the subaru's for sale by dealer.

hahaha, that's easier than my idea of writing one down from a car in a parking lot.

Edit: it's kind of funny that it only goes up to owning 10 subarus. I know people on USMB that have owned over 20 and probably have more than 10 currently. I've only had 3 so far though.

They also need a 200k+ badge too.

NinjaTech fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 30, 2010

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.
:smug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jalqE8PP8sg :smug:

The 08+ STI exhaust will fit on the WRX hatches, you just have a cut a bit out in your bumper to accommodate the extra tip on the left side. Sounds pretty sweet too. (I have my stock one if there's anyone in the PNW who's interested in giving this a shot).

warwick5s posted:

Watch craigslist/nasioc for a used setup. I got mine for 400 bucks, and my WRX one prior to this for 300.

allonblack fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 30, 2010

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
So coming up on 2 months now of owning, the '10 Legacy is pretty awesome. Really disguises that it's some giant mini-van looking car on the outside. Only big problem is that there's an enormous amount of body roll and I'd like to reduce it some. My best guess is that the springs and shocks should be the first to look at but I don't know if there's something else particular to the front suspension that might be worth fixing beforehand.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Does the car bounce at all when you put on and let off the brakes?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
There's no real bounce, but there's a lot of slop front/back which apparently is fixed with an anti-lift kit?

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Syd posted:

So coming up on 2 months now of owning, the '10 Legacy is pretty awesome. Really disguises that it's some giant mini-van looking car on the outside. Only big problem is that there's an enormous amount of body roll and I'd like to reduce it some. My best guess is that the springs and shocks should be the first to look at but I don't know if there's something else particular to the front suspension that might be worth fixing beforehand.

Might try sways first as they're inexpensive and an easy DIY install - though be aware that some of the bolts may be fragile and/or one-use bolts if it's anything like the 08+ STI/WRX (endlinks into rear lateral links specifically (stretch bolt) as well as the stabilizer clamp for the sways (failure prone, front and rear - these can be easily replaced with Grade 10 hardware of the exact same size/thread for ~50 cents a bolt).

ALK is sort of a bitch because it requires an alignment. If bodyroll is what you want to kill sways are the way to go. If you have lift/tuck under breaking/acceleration you may try some sways (It's my understanding that the 08-10 WRX springs are a fit for the legacy (though I don't know empirically)). If that in fact is true you should look into a nice progressive rate spring - I've personally used Ralliteks and they're quite nice, comfortable smooth ride when cruising, nice and stiff when you get into the twisty stuff.

allonblack fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 31, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hmmm.

Rumor has it the rally car just did it's first baseline dyno run. How does with the restrictor in, 400 odd NM sound?

Not bad?

Dont get too excited, the KW was less than 130 ATW.

pete0r
Oct 6, 2003
me
I'm looking at Subarus as a replacement for my failing Volvo 850. So far, I've been focusing on a Legacy somewhere in the 06-08 range. My budget is around $14,0000. I've found a few cars averaging around 30k on them. Do Subarus last as long as Volvos? Should I expect to make it to 200k without needing a new transmission or turbo (as I did with my 850)? Am I looking at the correct model for my budget? I've seen some Outbacks for the same price but with 80k on them.

Sabotaged
Jul 6, 2004

pete0r posted:

I'm looking at Subarus as a replacement for my failing Volvo 850. So far, I've been focusing on a Legacy somewhere in the 06-08 range. My budget is around $14,0000. I've found a few cars averaging around 30k on them. Do Subarus last as long as Volvos? Should I expect to make it to 200k without needing a new transmission or turbo (as I did with my 850)? Am I looking at the correct model for my budget? I've seen some Outbacks for the same price but with 80k on them.

I can't speak for life expectancy comparisons, but I went from a '96 Volvo 850 to an '05 Legacy GT and couldn't be happier. Awesome awesome upgrade, my only complaints in direct comparison are not as good for tall guys like myself, and lack of rear seat fold down for 2005 models.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I want my money back - The initial dyno report came to me.

109 KW AT THE WHEELS. LESS POWER TO WEIGHT THAN A EXCEL

gently caress me drunk. But the good news is that the tuner thinks he can get closer to 155Kw tomorrow and 180Kw without the restrictor.

(How the gently caress does any turbo Subaru only make 109KW??????? Who the gently caress tuned this thing to begin with?)

pete0r
Oct 6, 2003
me

Sabotaged posted:

I can't speak for life expectancy comparisons, but I went from a '96 Volvo 850 to an '05 Legacy GT and couldn't be happier. Awesome awesome upgrade, my only complaints in direct comparison are not as good for tall guys like myself, and lack of rear seat fold down for 2005 models.

Awesome, thanks. I really like the look and feel of Subaru's, hopefully it'll last as long as my Volvo did.

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

Hey fellas, I am selling a rear WhiteLine 22mm 3 point adjustable sway and Kartboy end links. Suitable for the 08+ WRX. DFW local in the AI marketplace. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2400145&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18
bottom of the page.

(((k))) fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 1, 2010

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

(((k))) posted:

Hey fellas, I am selling a rear WhiteLine 22mm 3 point adjustable sway and Kartboy end links. DFW local in the AI marketplace. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2400145&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18
bottom of the page.

Your craigslist link doesn't work, and no where do you mention what car this is for.

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

Sorry about that. The correct address (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/1764387515.html) has been edited in the marketplace and it is for an 08 + WRX.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
So I finally bought the '03 WRX wagon, in yellow of course. Trying to keep my eye out for an 02-05 STI's uppipe to replace the potential grenading cat in the stock up pipe. Will any other year up pipes fit as well? And while I'm doing that should I just go ahead and look around for a full turbo back STI take off exhaust?

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
Don't believe this has been posted yet, but i think its pretty cool. Subaru is giving away these "Badge of Ownership" badge things to promote brand loyalty i'm assuming. it has a big badge to show how many subarus you have/had (what im going by) and what you do with them. even has a gay/lesbian/tranny badge which further reinforces the brand stereotype... why do you have to make me feel weird about my favorite marque, subaru? anyway, pic and link incoming:

and best thing of all they're fuckin' FREE! (with a subaru vin 1st gen legacy and up)

i have the 4 subarus, mechanical, performance, and 100k+ badges (they should make 200k+ and 300k+) on mine which should be pretty close to what you guys are running. if you order one let me/ai know what you put!

bonus pic of my bitchin sidepipe and terrible peice of scrap (gently caress you TurboLuvah) the badge is going on

no cats either, yeah it'll shoot flames :colbert:

Captain Crabsticks fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 2, 2010

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

http://www.badgeofownership.com/

The link for the badges.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Captain Crabsticks posted:

no cats either, yeah it'll shoot flames :colbert:

You should get the eco badge.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

A ton of guys in the local Subaru club are getting those badges. One of the guys is going to get as many LGBT ones as he can and stick them on peoples cars during group meets.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
I had to order one saying it was my 2nd Subaru, couldn't have "babbys first subaru" on the back

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

gently caress badges until I can count WRC world championships again.

And in STI on the dyno news - the first run was worse than reported at 104Kw at the wheels. They have just finished the second set of runs with the restrictor in and it's now got over 141Kw at the wheels. The torque went from 3021Nm (I have no idea how to take a figure from the dyno and convert it to proper NM) to over 6000 (yes, I did type that in my best Freeza voice) nm. KB thinks that converts to somethign like 520NM.

So just under 50% more Kw and over 100% more torque. I'm haaaaaaaappy!

And next comes the without restrictor tune.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Picked up an STi exhaust off NASIOC for $150...here's hoping I don't get scammedit provides the proper amount of exhaust note Zazz.

I totally got one of the badges too, but it won't be going on the car. 2nd Subaru (first was a 5spd 2000 Outback Ltd) with the performance one and the paw one. :3:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I am sooooo going to post the dyno charts to rub it in when I give those whose said a restrictor doesnt boost torque curves.

Dyno one 1 - BAseline of 104KW at the wheels, torque was 234 NM. This has the restrictor in it.

Dyno Two - Tuned for restrictor, 141KW at the wheels and 490NM kicking in at 3000

Dyno Three - Tuned without restrictor, 184(!)KW at the wheels, 480 NM at 4500

All of this was on PULP (98 RON) road fuel - engine is standard apart from silcone inlet pipes, TBE 3" stainless steel. Runs a 2004 STI RA VF35. I really cant believe I was so far down on the original tune, that's pathetic. 141KW for road fuel on a restrictor isnt bad, 184 KW ATW is going to loving fly, especially with the torque.

(All that was done on rally tyres too so the numbers will look better with road tyres on - and it's not exactly a dyno known to be optimistic so this is looking like a great result)

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
More on the upgrades front... Got an agency power crank pulley coming in, along with an m2 performance solid up pipe (couldn't find any real info on these guys, but for $50 brand new I'm willing to give it a shot. Click here for amazon link) and a cobb v2 access port. All I need now is a TBE, and I doubt I'll be touching anything else on the car. Owned the car for less than a week and I'm almost done moding it... this can't be right...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
There's an o-ring on the end of this attached coolant tube, right?

If so, what's the trick to getting that drat pipe off? I have everything taken apart for a shortblock swap, so I'd like to replace all the little o-rings and misc. gaskets along the way for peace of mind.

I don't want to cock things up and destroy the tube in the process of removing it, but it seems really stuck. Other than the securing bolt, what's the trick to getting this sucker out?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've never bothered with taking one of those apart. And chances are if you can't get it off it won't leak.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

So I backed up and drug the front fascia over a curb. One of the two tabs right under the radiator that hold it in place has broken. What type of material is the front fascia made from (09 WRX)? I'd like to get the correct type of epoxy to make the repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

bung posted:

So I backed up and drug the front fascia over a curb. One of the two tabs right under the radiator that hold it in place has broken. What type of material is the front fascia made from (09 WRX)? I'd like to get the correct type of epoxy to make the repair.

Front fascias on modern cars are generally made of urethane.