Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

Entropic posted:

They never seem to be able to get the wizards right. The popular conception of wizards is tall spindly wizened and ancient, and that seems to trump the books' description of them being bloody nearly spherical, and it's why we get Rincewind looking like he's 60.
Absolutely agreed. Ridcully was close, but why did they not cast Brian Blessed? He has his own beard, for crying out loud!

Entropic posted:

I always pictured Angua with Farrah Hair for some reason.

She's got the scary look down though.

:gonk:
They aimed for too scary. I always had her down as a pleasant looking, very attractive woman who smiled nicely. Right up until you piss her off enough to tear your throat out,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I rather liked Joss Ackland's Ridcully in Hogfather. Going Postal was visually sumptuous but a disappointing adaptation. I found all the characters to be just a little bit off, especially Gilt, who should have been smooth and unshakable right up to the very end.

Also, Angua is supposed to have huge boobs, and there was no Mr. Tiddles.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They got weird little details right though, like Angua wearing her badge on a collar.

I loved Vetinari. They really got him down this time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Kind of sad we didn't see any Trolls or Dwarves though.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
There were dwarves and wizards in the background, attention was simply never called to them and I preferred it that way.

shadok posted:

Also, Angua is supposed to have huge boobs, and there was no Mr. Tiddles.

Also this is kinda weird sounding.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The one character I was really disappointed in was Mr Pump. He looked more like rubber than clay, and voice was all wrong.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

To be fair, it is pretty tricky to do a voice where you capitilise each word you say.

I envisoned Golems to be more lumpy bipedal manshaped things with arms instead of all that detail too.

I think we can all agree the Patrician was finally portrayed excellently and hope he comes back if they do another one.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Without a doubt, Charles Dance was superb, though the writing let him down on one or two occasions as there were just a few lines that didn't feel as though they belonged to Vetinari.

Also agreeing that the golems looked more rubbery than clay, and I also missed Mr Tiddles, that and it just felt off to see Stanley openly invent the perforation, though the actor they had did a decent job with the role.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think being cut down to just a short special really hurt the story. It's not just what's left out, everything still there gets so compressed that it's all got to be done in comically exaggerated shorthand to quickly get the point across. Just watch the Angua scene.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Without a doubt, Charles Dance was superb, though the writing let him down on one or two occasions as there were just a few lines that didn't feel as though they belonged to Vetinari.

That's exactly how I felt. They got it almost right but didn't quite nail the tone of amused ten-steps-ahead-of-you unflappability that is pure Vetinari-ness.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

shadok posted:

That's exactly how I felt. They got it almost right but didn't quite nail the tone of amused ten-steps-ahead-of-you unflappability that is pure Vetinari-ness.

I still haven't seen it, but whatever his portrayal, it can't be any worse than Jeremy Irons in Colour of Magic. Goddamn. Jeremy Irons could have been perfect for that part and then he had a stupid lisp and effeminate voice and goddamnit. Such a missed opportunity. Actually, thinking about Colour of Magic is never good. The more I think about it the more I remember how badly it misfired on virtually every aspect of the adaptation. I felt like I was listening to an audio play, but with crappy visuals.

Gettin' mad 'bout TV.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Does Death ever show up in Pt. II? They've never yet made him look anything but goofy on TV.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

No appearance from Death in the Going Postal TV adaptation.

And here's a link to an interview with Charles Dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CjutE9wffY

I know it's only really in the continuity of the books but I loved that he even had the little limp that Vetinari has from being shot in the leg in Men at Arms.

Vengeance of Pandas fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 2, 2010

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Am I the only person who didn't like Drumknott? It just doesn't sit with the version I have in my head. I didn't mind the actor or anything, and would have been fine if it wasn't so contrary to what I had imagined.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

BUCKET OF FARTS posted:

Am I the only person who didn't like Drumknott? It just doesn't sit with the version I have in my head. I didn't mind the actor or anything, and would have been fine if it wasn't so contrary to what I had imagined.

I missed the pencils subplot...

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

BUCKET OF FARTS posted:

No, Drumknott should have been bland and totally without personality and imagination, the ultimate clerk. TV Drumknott was too smug.

just_a_guy posted:

I missed the pencils subplot...

That's in Making Money, isn't it?

shadok fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 2, 2010

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

He also steals Drumknott's pencil a few times in Going Postal as I recall, that's why Vetinari mentions it at the start of Making Money.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

shadok posted:

No, Drumknott should have been bland and totally without personality and imagination, the ultimate clerk. TV Drumknott was too smug.

Alan Rickman pretty much fits how I see him.

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mokinokaro posted:

Alan Rickman pretty much fits how I see him.

Terry actually remarked once that he liked Rickman for Vetanari.

From the Annotated Pratchett file:

quote:

During one of those interminable “which actor should play which Discworld character if there was a movie?” discussions, Terry gave some insight in how he himself visualises the Patrician:

“I can’t remember the guy’s name, but I’ve always pictured the Patrician as looking like the father in Beetlejuice — the man also played the Emperor of Austria in Amadeus. And maybe slightly like the head bad guy in Die Hard.”

The actors Terry is thinking of are Jeffrey Jones and Alan Rickman, respectively.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Ed Rooney as the patrician?!? :psyduck:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm probably going to get a kindle soon and that means I'm going to start replacing my book collection because it takes to too much space so would anyone be interested in the Discworld books I replace? I was just going to bring them to a thrift store but I'd much rather give them to someone who wants them instead. We'd need to discuss details but I've got everything from Color of Magic through Thief of Time in paperback, I'll probably keep the hardcovers for now though.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm probably going to get a kindle soon and that means I'm going to start replacing my book collection because it takes to too much space so would anyone be interested in the Discworld books I replace? I was just going to bring them to a thrift store but I'd much rather give them to someone who wants them instead. We'd need to discuss details but I've got everything from Color of Magic through Thief of Time in paperback, I'll probably keep the hardcovers for now though.

I would, in complete and utter honesty, use those books to bring in more readers to the Discworld. I can promise this because I've already bought and given away and REbought most of the series. I have two copies of The Last Hero, because, well, completion and all.

I would gladly give them a good home.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Sure I'd love one or two.

My collection's kinda funny because I got into Pratchett in grammer school, which meant reading most of the books then at the library. So despite the fact that the early-middle books got me into Discworld and are strongest in my memory, my collection begins around Monstrous Regiment.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Nilbop posted:

My collection's kinda funny because I got into Pratchett in grammer school, which meant reading most of the books then at the library. So despite the fact that the early-middle books got me into Discworld and are strongest in my memory, my collection begins around Monstrous Regiment.

This is exactly my situation too. I've been steadily building up the older ones through charity shops and car boot sales.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just finished reading Fifth Elephant and as soon as I finished I felt a strange urge to read Thud! for the 3rd time. Dwarf culture in Discworld is much more interesting and fleshed out then in most fantasy worlds.
I also need to start reading these books in the correct order.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just finished reading Fifth Elephant and as soon as I finished I felt a strange urge to read Thud! for the 3rd time. Dwarf culture in Discworld is much more interesting and fleshed out then in most fantasy worlds.
I also need to start reading these books in the correct order.

Thud made me realize how little Troll culture we've gotten in comparison. It's fascinating stuff.

And the correct order for reading whimsy is by the reader's whim. :colbert:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I've actually enjoyed the Tiffany Aching series more than any of the other books. I don't know what it is, but I think he's really at his best with them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Grumio posted:

I've actually enjoyed the Tiffany Aching series more than any of the other books. I don't know what it is, but I think he's really at his best with them.

It's like the Harry Potter series if they were real books.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tiffany + Harry fanfic

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mister Roboto posted:

I would gladly give them a good home.

Nilbop posted:

Sure I'd love one or two.

Ok, I'll get in touch with you guys once I actually get a kindle. Which should be Sunday since they're going to start selling them at Target.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

withak posted:

Tiffany + Harry fanfic

Harry's skull/cast-iron skillet is my OTP

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Entropic posted:

Harry's nuts/cast-iron skillet is my OTP

That was my first thought too, but more than likely Tiffany'd pull a Kirk talking a computer into frying itself thing on him.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Harry, meet feegles :smug:

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

He who must not be named, meet she who must be avoided...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I still got to get my little sister to read a proper fantasy series of books.

These.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

He who must not be named, meet she who must be avoided...

I wouldn't mind reading that...even if it has to be a fanfic.

Verimus
Oct 1, 2009
So, I'm in a production of The Truth as Mr. Tulip...
There's only two actual fans on the cast, so I get to spend all my time gleefuly correcting the director as he tries to direct. For example, he was trying to get the guy playing Vimes (Who is pretty rubbish, nowhere near what Vimes should be) to sound like a policeman and he used the term "slighty corrupt". I sprang to my feet and explained Vimes to him for about ten minutes. If the director wasn't a mate of mine I don't think I would've made it through the first rehearsal (There was an argument on the correct pronuciation of Boddony)

Anyone else been in/seen any other stage adaptations?

Edit: And any notes on how to do Tulip? It's the voice i'm having trouble with.
And the guys playing William de Worde and Mr. Pin are great, so we should be able to do it justice.
Being mates with the Director meant being able to audition for about half the parts, ranging from Vetinari to Foul ol Ron.

Verimus fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 6, 2010

Izz
May 1, 2006

Verimus posted:

Edit: And any notes on how to do Tulip? It's the voice i'm having trouble with.

If you're able to borrow The Truth (abridged) audiobook from your local library, I think Tony Robinson does a pretty good job with the voice of Mr Tulip.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Always imagine Mr Tulip with the stereotypical gruff east end gangster accent myself his voice made hoarse as hell due to the attempted drug habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Always imagine Mr Tulip with the stereotypical gruff east end gangster accent myself his voice made hoarse as hell due to the attempted drug habit.

Pretty much this, with Mr Pin being the slightly quieter and more sinister sounding one.