Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

diarrhea for girls posted:

Welcome back buddy.

I had one of those Mavica FDs as well, it was actually a pretty awesome camera for what it was but the reliability of floppy disks left a lot to desire. I remember them sending me some promo materials about the amazing new CD-R using Mavica and my mind was blown.

The great thing about the Mavica was it's macro ability. The whole interlaced/non-interlaced photos was a pain in the rear end. For any moving object, you took "field" photos, and for full resolution, "frame". God, I loved that lovely little camera. I think my ex-roommate still has it somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
Oh nostalgia.

I remember lusting over the old Mavica's

My first digital camera was a Kodak DC25! Took CF cards up to 32MB! Resolution of 493x373 (.18MP!) Found it cleaning out my old room at my parents' house last weekend. I laughed, and then :cry: when I remembered that it cost $500 plus the CF card. 20MB was like $65+ IIRC.

I can't quite bring myself to throw away my 4MP Canon G2 yet. I still have old film cameras but a 10 year old digital camera is near worthless.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
http://scottaudette.com/?p=218

quote:

An Apple WiFi iPad, a Canon 5d Mark II with a WFT-4e II A, a three-year-old linksys broadband router, a first gen REV. A, a Sprint Aircard and some duct tape … watch out, Macgruber, you’ve got nothing on us. And what did all of the above give us? A camera that took wicked awesome photos on an iPad out the window of the Reuters trailer at the Kennedy Space Center and all from the comfort of the Hampton Inn in Titusville, Florida.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

Don't forget the 800mm F5.6

http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/06/new-hybrid-camera-more/
*the guy who runs that site, runs lensrentalscanada.com and rented him the lens.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
How accurate is the software calibration that Mac OS X includes? I understand it's going to be off a bit since you're judging with your own eyes, but should it be a pretty close ballpark? Waiting to get a replacement Huey Pro at work, so hoping this will get me close in the meantime.

EDIT: I should have posted this in the general questions thread.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Hop Pocket posted:

Is there a story behind the bannings? I mean, there always is, but is there a good one :)

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Yay, welcome back. Didn't Dorkasaurus get banned as well?

His was for posting in LF during the LF embargo (probably just clicked on a thread on his "marked" list and missed the stickied warning thread).

I got banned a couple days before that for spoiling George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" on the first page of the new "new readers" thread in TBB.

Worth it. :colbert:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

^^ doh!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Yay, welcome back. Didn't Dorkasaurus get banned as well?

Yeah, FYAD purge of LF.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I got banned a couple days before that for spoiling George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" on the first page of the new "new readers" thread in TBB.

You getting banned there made me read that thread, and I realized I never want to even think about reading anything by that guy, or scifi in general.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
So I work at a university that puts together calendars for parents/students/staff/faculty/etc. I know the person putting it together and she asked if I had any pictures that she could use. I showed her what I had and it turns out she wanted to use nothing but my pictures. I did it for free, but I'll charge next time.

Check out that second paragraph (well... the only paragraph you can read). And I covered my face because it's an awful picture :11tea:

Represent.

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 3, 2010

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I thought that whole paragraph was satirical until I read your post.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Yeah... I wanted to say "Started because all of the pictures he took with his P&S sucked"... but that would have been taken out really quick.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bahama.Llama posted:

Yeah... I wanted to say "Started because all of the pictures he took with his P&S sucked"... but that would have been taken out really quick.

You should have mentioned Ken Rockwell and the drive he gave you to become his opposite.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Photographing the pigs is becoming a criminal act.

quote:

In response to a flood of Facebook and YouTube videos that depict police abuse, a new trend in law enforcement is gaining popularity. In at least three states, it is now illegal to record any on-duty police officer.

Even if the encounter involves you and may be necessary to your defense, and even if the recording is on a public street where no expectation of privacy exists.

The legal justification for arresting the "shooter" rests on existing wiretapping or eavesdropping laws, with statutes against obstructing law enforcement sometimes cited. Illinois, Massachusetts, and Maryland are among the 12 states in which all parties must consent for a recording to be legal unless, as with TV news crews, it is obvious to all that recording is underway. Since the police do not consent, the camera-wielder can be arrested. Most all-party-consent states also include an exception for recording in public places where "no expectation of privacy exists" (Illinois does not) but in practice this exception is not being recognized.

Massachusetts attorney June Jensen represented Simon Glik who was arrested for such a recording. She explained, "[T]he statute has been misconstrued by Boston police. You could go to the Boston Common and snap pictures and record if you want." Legal scholar and professor Jonathan Turley agrees, "The police are basing this claim on a ridiculous reading of the two-party consent surveillance law - requiring all parties to consent to being taped. I have written in the area of surveillance law and can say that this is utter nonsense."

The courts, however, disagree. A few weeks ago, an Illinois judge rejected a motion to dismiss an eavesdropping charge against Christopher Drew, who recorded his own arrest for selling one-dollar artwork on the streets of Chicago. Although the misdemeanor charges of not having a peddler's license and peddling in a prohibited area were dropped, Drew is being prosecuted for illegal recording, a Class I felony punishable by 4 to 15 years in prison.

In 2001, when Michael Hyde was arrested for criminally violating the state's electronic surveillance law - aka recording a police encounter - the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court upheld his conviction 4-2. In dissent, Chief Justice Margaret Marshall stated, "Citizens have a particularly important role to play when the official conduct at issue is that of the police. Their role cannot be performed if citizens must fear criminal reprisals…." (Note: In some states it is the audio alone that makes the recording illegal.)

The selection of "shooters" targeted for prosecution do, indeed, suggest a pattern of either reprisal or an attempt to intimidate.

Glik captured a police action on his cellphone to document what he considered to be excessive force. He was not only arrested, his phone was also seized.

On his website Drew wrote, "Myself and three other artists who documented my actions tried for two months to get the police to arrest me for selling art downtown so we could test the Chicago peddlers license law. The police hesitated for two months because they knew it would mean a federal court case. With this felony charge they are trying to avoid this test and ruin me financially and stain my credibility."

Hyde used his recording to file a harassment complaint against the police. After doing so, he was criminally charged.

In short, recordings that are flattering to the police - an officer kissing a baby or rescuing a dog - will almost certainly not result in prosecution even if they are done without all-party consent. The only people who seem prone to prosecution are those who embarrass or confront the police, or who somehow challenge the law. If true, then the prosecutions are a form of social control to discourage criticism of the police or simple dissent.

A recent arrest in Maryland is both typical and disturbing.

On March 5, 24-year-old Anthony John Graber III's motorcycle was pulled over for speeding. He is currently facing criminal charges for a video he recorded on his helmet-mounted camera during the traffic stop.

The case is disturbing because:

1) Graber was not arrested immediately. Ten days after the encounter, he posted some of he material to YouTube, and it embarrassed Trooper J. D. Uhler. The trooper, who was in plainclothes and an unmarked car, jumped out waving a gun and screaming. Only later did Uhler identify himself as a police officer. When the YouTube video was discovered the police got a warrant against Graber, searched his parents' house (where he presumably lives), seized equipment, and charged him with a violation of wiretapping law.

2) Baltimore criminal defense attorney Steven D. Silverman said he had never heard of the Maryland wiretap law being used in this manner. In other words, Maryland has joined the expanding trend of criminalizing the act of recording police abuse. Silverman surmises, "It's more [about] ‘contempt of cop' than the violation of the wiretapping law."

3) Police spokesman Gregory M. Shipley is defending the pursuit of charges against Graber, denying that it is "some capricious retribution" and citing as justification the particularly egregious nature of Graber's traffic offenses. Oddly, however, the offenses were not so egregious as to cause his arrest before the video appeared.

Almost without exception, police officials have staunchly supported the arresting officers. This argues strongly against the idea that some rogue officers are overreacting or that a few cops have something to hide. "Arrest those who record the police" appears to be official policy, and it's backed by the courts.

Carlos Miller at the Photography Is Not A Crime website offers an explanation: "For the second time in less than a month, a police officer was convicted from evidence obtained from a videotape. The first officer to be convicted was New York City Police Officer Patrick Pogan, who would never have stood trial had it not been for a video posted on Youtube showing him body slamming a bicyclist before charging him with assault on an officer. The second officer to be convicted was Ottawa Hills (Ohio) Police Officer Thomas White, who shot a motorcyclist in the back after a traffic stop, permanently paralyzing the 24-year-old man."

When the police act as though cameras were the equivalent of guns pointed at them, there is a sense in which they are correct. Cameras have become the most effective weapon that ordinary people have to protect against and to expose police abuse. And the police want it to stop.

Happily, even as the practice of arresting "shooters" expands, there are signs of effective backlash. At least one Pennsylvania jurisdiction has reaffirmed the right to video in public places. As part of a settlement with ACLU attorneys who represented an arrested "shooter," the police in Spring City and East Vincent Township adopted a written policy allowing the recording of on-duty policemen.

As journalist Radley Balko declares, "State legislatures should consider passing laws explicitly making it legal to record on-duty law enforcement officials."

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Paragon8 posted:

You should have mentioned Ken Rockwell and the drive he gave you to become his opposite.

I actually thought of making a Ken Rockwell reference... but I decided I'd rather give him zero publicity.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

KennyG posted:

Don't forget the 800mm F5.6

http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/06/new-hybrid-camera-more/
*the guy who runs that site, runs lensrentalscanada.com and rented him the lens.

I really don't understand why they did any of that. It sounds like all the wireless stuff was so that they could control the camera they left on-site from their hotel room, but why? Aren't they allowed to be in their trailer? What if the camera falls over, or a bird shits on the window, or a cable comes loose? It's technologically impressive but seems pointless for the situation they were in.

[e] I also hate on principle anything that has "iPad" in the title.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 3, 2010

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
I just assumed it was because they had to vacate the van in case of some catastrophic launch event (re: explosion). It is a whole lot of technical effort, and while impressive, highly stupid and impractical (unless your goal was to get web pub).

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

orange lime posted:

I really don't understand why they did any of that. It sounds like all the wireless stuff was so that they could control the camera they left on-site from their hotel room, but why? Aren't they allowed to be in their trailer? What if the camera falls over, or a bird shits on the window, or a cable comes loose? It's technologically impressive but seems pointless for the situation they were in.

Can't get room service in a trailer.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

orange lime posted:

[e] I also hate on principle anything that has "iPad" in the title.

Actually with a controllable arm, this setup would be great for that lake/malaria diving guy :laugh:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

You know who else liked the Mavica FDs?

That's right, Hitler Ken Rockwell
Now we have photographic proof that he's been in the bathroom since 2000

:pwn:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Hes got such a crazy glaze in every picture. That recording the police poo poo is loving bogus.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
That has to be one of the creepiest photos I've seen of KR, haha. He really likes wearing yellow shirts. I think that's the exact same one from in his "left handed" F100 shot.

The whole recording the police becoming a criminal offense is crazy and kind of unsettling. There's a video on http://carlosmiller.com/ from a KGO cameraman (as in legit media) and he gets ganged up on by a group of off duty cops and a uniformed cop for trying to film the arrival of an ambulance carrying an officer who was shot moments earlier a few blocks away. He was on a public street but still got pushed back up the road and they went so far as to set up crime scene tape just to keep him away. The scuffle broke the viewfinder off his camera, too.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
There have been a few incidents in Vancouver in a similar vein, the common denominator being that the police usually get uppity when they're doing shady stuff. There isn't a problem when they're doing regular stuff.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

That has to be one of the creepiest photos I've seen of KR, haha. He really likes wearing yellow shirts. I think that's the exact same one from in his "left handed" F100 shot.

I thikn he really likes the colour saturation on the yellow shirts

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002

The whole recording the police becoming a criminal offense is crazy and kind of unsettling. There's a video on http://carlosmiller.com/ from a KGO cameraman (as in legit media) and he gets ganged up on by a group of off duty cops and a uniformed cop for trying to film the arrival of an ambulance carrying an officer who was shot moments earlier a few blocks away. He was on a public street but still got pushed back up the road and they went so far as to set up crime scene tape just to keep him away. The scuffle broke the viewfinder off his camera, too.

The only solution is to impose GREATER than normal restrictions/liabilities on the cops. Trebble damages/1985 Action/Strict Scrtiny

I don't think it was here, perhaps it was either the Slashdot or Gizmodo posting of this but someone commented that while the vast majority of police officers are good people just trying to protect you, they are also a bunch of unionized public employees who will do or say anything to protect their own no matter what they did or are doing. (This seems like violating 42 USC 1985 to me)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spog posted:

I thikn he really likes the colour saturation on the yellow shirts

This is my new, post-1-month-ban-for-calling-K.Rock-a-turd avatar on Rangefinder Forum:

(They have a ridiculously low limit for avatar file size.)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Nikon Camera lens mugs are coming out soon, for those of you Nikon shooters who were jealous(ish) of the 70-200 / 24-105L mugs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250643811884

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Moved from General Photography as this isn't really related to photography at all:

Snaily posted:

Perpetuum mobile? I don't see why the marbles would gain net energy here.

It wasn't "Press Butan, Make Railgun" and its not like the marbles would go shooting out of the bores at tremendous speeds. One guy threw, one guy worked the machines. The goal was to turn the field strength down at the right time so the marbles wouldn't loose their forward velocity fighting against the magnetic field behind them.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "pretty effective", maybe I should have said "fun party game when you're drunk, and when you got it right, you could put half spherical craters in the cinder block wall behind you."

Most of this screwing around was done in a strictly against regulation way. Beer cans can't float in a bore, but some kegs could.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Shmoogy posted:

Nikon Camera lens mugs are coming out soon, for those of you Nikon shooters who were jealous(ish) of the 70-200 / 24-105L mugs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250643811884

I came in here to post this, I found out about this on the same day I received the Canon mug in the mail. It doesn't look as sturdy to me.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah. The tiny base looks like it'd tip over really easily. I like the looks of that mug, but I really like not spilling my coffee everywhere.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Our lid is center-pinch :smug:. Also, $50.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

It's time for another round of What Would You Take? I'm going to spend a few days hiking around around Huashan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hua. What gear would you take? I have available:
5d2
450d/Xsi
Tamron 18-270
Sigma 10-20
Canon 35/2
Canon 50/1.8
Canon 135/2
tripod

Major considerations are weight, bulk, and obviously taking pictures.
Thanks for the advice everyone (a while ago). Ended up going with the XSi, 10-20, 135, tripod, and s90. Seemed to work out ok. I really just want a uwa full frame or maybe an old OM mount wide angle prime or something (they're tiny!). Not super thrilled with what I came away with but here's the set anyway in case you're interested. http://www.flickr.com/photos/spf3million/sets/72157624188410302/

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

spf3million posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone (a while ago). Ended up going with the XSi, 10-20, 135, tripod, and s90. Seemed to work out ok. I really just want a uwa full frame or maybe an old OM mount wide angle prime or something (they're tiny!). Not super thrilled with what I came away with but here's the set anyway in case you're interested. http://www.flickr.com/photos/spf3million/sets/72157624188410302/

You got some pretty nice shots, but I can't believe you left your 5d2 at home :(

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
This is pretty awesome: Cuban Polaroid

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Stregone posted:

He should get some of this.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Welcome back buddy.

I had one of those Mavica FDs as well, it was actually a pretty awesome camera for what it was but the reliability of floppy disks left a lot to desire. I remember them sending me some promo materials about the amazing new CD-R using Mavica and my mind was blown.

Give it a few years and people will start buying up lovely digital cameras for aesthetic reasons. Like cheap film cameras now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stregone posted:

I can't decide whether Cuban Polaroid sounds more like an indie band or a sex act.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Stregone posted:

There were some early cameras that worked similarly, can't remember any names though.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I brought the Canon lens mug to work and the reactions I got were worth the price.

There are a couple of gear heads who work here, die-hard Canon junkies, but on a limited budget. So, they buy the best they can afford and are constantly coming over to my cube to show me pictures of the L-series lenses they are lusting over.

Guy 1 noticed me carrying it to the break room to fill it with water. It was a bit dim, so it didn't click with him till he picked it up that something was wrong. Had I gotten water in it first, it would have been a lot funnier.

Guy 2 saw me walking back from the break room and yelled down the hall "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH A RED RING IN YOUR FILTHY NIKON HANDS?!?" Then I took a drink out of it.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

goddamn does keh use apple II's for its servers or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Augmented Dickey posted:

goddamn does keh use apple II's for its servers or what

Yea, you really gotta just call them up.