Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Nastyman posted:

I'm just getting ready to get into the whole DS emulating thing, and I want to make sure I'm buying the right stuff since I just nearly bought a couple of things that wouldn't even fit in my DSi. I'm gonna need both an Acekard 2i and iPlayer DS if I want to run emulators, correct?

No, just get an Acekard 2i, or if you are really on a budget an R4 from some place like shoptemp. If all you aim to do is run emulators, Either will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Red_Mage posted:

No, just get an Acekard 2i, or if you are really on a budget an R4 from some place like shoptemp. If all you aim to do is run emulators, Either will be fine.

Cool, saved me 400 Norwegian there. This will run GBA emulators as well?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Nastyman posted:

Cool, saved me 400 Norwegian there. This will run GBA emulators as well?

Kind of, it could run a gba emulator, but not a backup of a gba cart. for that you want a EZ Flash to go with your Acekard/R4. Basically most flashcarts can do homebrew (emulators) and backups of DS games, iPlayer cannot do DS backups, but can play video slightly better than Moonshell (homebrew any card can run). The EZflash is pretty much needed to access the built in gba emulation native to the DS (unless you have a dsi)

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

Nastyman posted:

I'm just getting ready to get into the whole DS emulating thing, and I want to make sure I'm buying the right stuff since I just nearly bought a couple of things that wouldn't even fit in my DSi. I'm gonna need both an Acekard 2i and iPlayer DS if I want to run emulators, correct?

You should be able to run emulators just fine using an Acekard 2i with the AKAIO firmware (use AKAIO over the official its leaps and bounds better and updates more frequently; that is unless you get one of those weird cards that only take that one special version of the official firmware. If you order from a well known seller you shouldn't run into that problem.)

I'm not sure what that iPlayer thing is (I haven't followed DS homebrew for a while) but it seems like its another homebrew cart that specializes in video playing specifically. It also seems to run some homebrew, but the Acekard probably does it better.

Just get the Acekard.

e:

Red_Mage posted:

Kind of, it could run a gba emulator, but not a backup of a gba cart. for that you want a EZ Flash to go with your Acekard/R4. Basically most flashcarts can do homebrew (emulators) and backups of DS games, iPlayer cannot do DS backups, but can play video slightly better than Moonshell (homebrew any card can run). The EZflash is pretty much needed to access the built in gba emulation native to the DS (unless you have a dsi)

He said he had a DSi so he's basically SOL when it comes to GBA emulation.

I'd also reccomend getting the Acekard over the R4. Acekard is excellent when you have AKAIO running on it, and spending the extra few bucks on it now compared to the R4 will save you many headaches in the future.

tony police fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 18, 2010

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I upgraded to the Acekard2i after I was disappointed with the M3i Zero. So much better. I think I can live without real-time saving.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Dash O Pepper posted:

He said he had a DSi so he's basically SOL when it comes to GBA emulation.

http://www.dsiplayer.com/, google and the webshop I'm ordering from says I can emulate GBA on it though.

Not to start an argument, I just want to find out if I need both the Acekard and the iPlayer, or if I'm all set with just one. The systems I'm looking to emulate are NES, SNES and GB/GBA btw.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Nastyman posted:

http://www.dsiplayer.com/, google and the webshop I'm ordering from says I can emulate GBA on it though.

Not to start an argument, I just want to find out if I need both the Acekard and the iPlayer, or if I'm all set with just one. The systems I'm looking to emulate are NES, SNES and GB/GBA btw.

From the bit that I messed with it, the SNES emulator for DS isn't even worth trying. It's awful. You're best off getting a PSP or a Wiz if you want SNES. I haven't tried an iPlayer to see how the GBA emulation is, but as far as I'm aware it's the only thing that does GBA emulation on the DSi.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!
SuperCard DSTWO is released today.
Among the features is a built in GBA-emulator plus a SNES-emulator on the way and an ingame hex-editor.

I've used the DSOne for a couple of years and I'm very pleased with it. Certainly going to pick up this as well.

http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

dantheman650 posted:

That's where I ordered mine from as well. It came in today and I'm curious to see if I'll have the same issue as you. How did you find out what version you had? Did you just try different OFW versions until it worked?

edit: Plugged in my USB reader and tried to format the Micro SD card it came with, and I get "windows was unable to complete the format." Google is telling me the card is defective - confirm/deny? Is there anything else I can try? Not looking forward to shipping this back to China.

Is your MicroSD card SDHC? If so try a newer reader. Anyway if AKIO, 4.21, and whatnot doesn't work, you need to use 4.22 Official Firmware.

To be honest you overpaid if you ordered a MicroSD card from the seller. Going into pretty much any electronics store will net you a 4 gig for around $10-$15.

Caramel Trout
Sep 27, 2009

A bunch of baby ducks,
send 'em to the moon

Doodlebat posted:

It didnt work so I guess I'm SOL. But I think I might have found the culprit.

Practically the first thing I did after my initial flashing of the card was install that emulator. Thanks a ton for the help CT, but I'm gonna try and order a new cart. (Thats what I get for not buying SA Mart)

Edit: is there any way to restore a corrupted flashcart?

It sounds like it's freezing before the disk check even starts. There is a disk-check disabler. Before you go through the trouble of trying to order a new cart, you might try this.

Get the newest Sakura download, and chuck the SYSTEM folders together.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So, I have an old R4 card that's obviously long in the tooth these days. I finally decided to replace it with a newer card, and figured the Acekard 2i was the best bet because it's compatible with both my current DSphat and a DSi if I ever upgrade.

After I ordered the Acekard, I stumbled across Wood R4. How did I miss that this was developed? It's awesome and basically solves all the issues I was having with my R4. The Acekard has already shipped, which means I'm stuck with it. Tell me, goons, other than the ability to use it with a DSi if I ever upgrade, what can I do with the Acekard that I couldn't do with an R4 running Wood?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Haraksha posted:

So, I have an old R4 card that's obviously long in the tooth these days. I finally decided to replace it with a newer card, and figured the Acekard 2i was the best bet because it's compatible with both my current DSphat and a DSi if I ever upgrade.

After I ordered the Acekard, I stumbled across Wood R4. How did I miss that this was developed? It's awesome and basically solves all the issues I was having with my R4. The Acekard has already shipped, which means I'm stuck with it. Tell me, goons, other than the ability to use it with a DSi if I ever upgrade, what can I do with the Acekard that I couldn't do with an R4 running Wood?

Non-clone R4s can't handle SDHC so that means no cards bigger than 2 GB will work. AceKard handles up to at least 16 GB.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

Nastyman posted:

I looked into it more and yeah apparently it does do GBA emulation (from what I read it runs at full speed but you have to put on 2-frame skip so it's not perfect), but with the recently released Supercard 2. I've also read that the Supercard's GBA emulation is just a modded version of the one on the iPlayer, so we'll have to see how it plays out and if it ever gets updated because darkchen hasn't updated the GBA emulator for the iPlayer in 9 months.

It looks like its at the same spot as SNES emulation: proof of concept is finished, now they just need to work on compatibility and efficiency.

I dunno GBA emulation isn't a big deal for me since I just have a regular DSl :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

torjus posted:

SuperCard DSTWO is released today.
Among the features is a built in GBA-emulator plus a SNES-emulator on the way and an ingame hex-editor.

I've used the DSOne for a couple of years and I'm very pleased with it. Certainly going to pick up this as well.

http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/

If they do get their SNES emulation up and running, and if it's good, then I might be tempted into getting one. That's pretty cool. I know other flash cards have had hardware emulation for NES and similarly weak systems, but this is the first to have good enough hardware to support GBA and SNES, right?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Nastyman posted:

If you want to play GBA on a DSi you'll need an iPlayer/SuperCard DSTWO.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

madprocess posted:

Non-clone R4s can't handle SDHC so that means no cards bigger than 2 GB will work. AceKard handles up to at least 16 GB.

This was basically the only conclusion I arrived at. Guess I finally have motivation to buy a DSi!

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Keito posted:

If you want to play GBA on a DSi you'll need an iPlayer/SuperCard DSTWO.

Thanks guys, went with the iPlayer since I couldn't find anyone near me selling the DSTWO.

Doodlebat
Mar 5, 2003

Caramel Trout posted:

It sounds like it's freezing before the disk check even starts. There is a disk-check disabler. Before you go through the trouble of trying to order a new cart, you might try this.

Get the newest Sakura download, and chuck the SYSTEM folders together.

Assuming I did it correctly, it didnt work. I dont know if its freezing because I can get back to the DSi menu if i press the power button, but aside from that its not showing any other signs of life.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Team Cyclops is apparently working hard on the next iteration of their firmware. They released B.2 on the 14th: http://www.teamcyclops.com/download/evo-firmware-BETA-B.2.zip

quote:

• Save sizes up to 32MB can now be specified individually per game
  • Pop-up menu is now accessible from the main menu by pressing Y while a bookmark is selected. This facilitates operations on the selected bookmark without first locating it in the game list
  • Added option to display last executed file in the bookmark list. Toggle option from the settings menu
  • Its now possible to customise the button combination to launch the last executed file, though the settings menu
  • Added the old cheat enable prompt as an option for those who prefer the old method of enabling cheat codes
  • Menu button is more responsive via touch screen
  • Revised the game list view modes - now there are simply 3 modes: ROM, file and recent. Big/small icons can be selected via the settings menu
  • Fixed <browseRootPath> functionality
  • Fixed cheat code clear all
  • Various small GUI bugs fixed
  • Game compatibility fixes (DSi 0047, 4831, 4851, 4856, 4868, 4883)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Mithaldu posted:

Team Cyclops is apparently working hard on the next iteration of their firmware. They released B.2 on the 14th:

I've been using the new beta since B.0, and there are two things I really really like about it: first, you can bookmark games/homebrew apps to the main screen (it puts a row of up to 7 icons [the file's internal icon] each above and below the three main icons) and you can set cheats to not prompt you every single time you start the game (in fact, not prompting you is default now.)

I also like that you can customize the enhanced menu and auto-boot hotkeys from inside the interface now rather than manually editing the INI.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma
Does anyone have a link to the latest version of WabbitDS? The developer's site is down and the only mirrors I can find are of the initial release back in 2007.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
http://filetrip.net/f7859-WabbitDS-1-0.html

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Has anyone had their CycloDS conk out on them, yet? My fiancee's just stopped working (DS won't detect it at all). I've tested out the card slot- it works fine. I'm 100% sure the CycloDS cart is dead. It's a shame- she barely used the thing. :(

Anyone know if I have any exchange/return options if I got it from realhotstuff?

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Sweet, thanks.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

IF A ROBOT IS BUILT IN THE FORM OF HUMAN BEINGS IT IS HARAAM

melon cat posted:

Has anyone had their CycloDS conk out on them, yet?

There's actually a thread about this on the Team Cyclops forums: CycloDS Evolution Lifespan. However, it looks like the statistics there haven't been updated for about half a year.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Picking up a used DS Lite tomorrow. My DSTT should still work fine, correct?

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma
I've had my Cyclo since August 2008 and it's never given me any trouble.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've had mine for over 2 years now and it shows no signs of slowing down. I don't really know what happens when a flash cart dies but mine hasn't yet.

Doodlebat
Mar 5, 2003

Ok, So since I last posted about my M3i Zero flashcart I ordered an Acekard2i, but I cant get it to load either. It always says "System File is Missing" even though I have downloaded and extracted the latest versions of Aikio (1.62) the 2i Loader, and the DS 1.4 Aikio firmware update as instructed on GBA Temp. Still nada. I've tried two different Micro SDHC cards (Sandisk 4/8GB formatted to both FAT32/16) and have even tried installing previous versions. Im at the end of my rope but after sinking $70+ into this I am determined to find a solution.

Can anybody help please?

lags
Jan 3, 2004

AKAIO 1.7 is out. People are reporting problems with saves but so far all mine have been fine.

http://gbatemp.net/t231118-akaio-1-7

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
If all I would really use homebrew for (at least initially) is MOTHER 3, is the best option still getting a DS Lite and a 3-in-1, or would I be able to play M3 on a DSi or an XL?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
After about a week of not playing my DS, my Acekard 2i is suddenly not working. My DSLite just says there's no game. I've taken both the Acekard and the memory card out over a dozen times and it still doesn't recognize it.

I looked up counterfeit cards online and it's a real one. I'm also out of the 30 day return policy. :(

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

FlyingCheese posted:

After about a week of not playing my DS, my Acekard 2i is suddenly not working. My DSLite just says there's no game. I've taken both the Acekard and the memory card out over a dozen times and it still doesn't recognize it.

I looked up counterfeit cards online and it's a real one. I'm also out of the 30 day return policy. :(

Try putting tape or a piece of post-it or something on the label side near the end with the DS interface contacts, and see if it loads.

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

Grinnblade posted:

If all I would really use homebrew for (at least initially) is MOTHER 3, is the best option still getting a DS Lite and a 3-in-1, or would I be able to play M3 on a DSi or an XL
Mother 3 is a GBA game, not homebrew. You'll need a DS Phat or Lite and a 3-in-1 to play it, and also some sort of slot-1 flashcart to load the ROM onto the 3-in-1 (if you have a friend with a flashcart, you can have them load it on, at which point you can just treat the 3-in-1 like a GBA cart).

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Darth l33t posted:

Mother 3 is a GBA game, not homebrew. You'll need a DS Phat or Lite and a 3-in-1 to play it, and also some sort of slot-1 flashcart to load the ROM onto the 3-in-1 (if you have a friend with a flashcart, you can have them load it on, at which point you can just treat the 3-in-1 like a GBA cart).

Yeah, poor phrasing on my part. Okay then, I'll probably end up buying a Lite instead of an XL even though the XL would be better for my freakishly large hands. Want to play Mother 3 on hardware, seems to lag too much on my computer for me to do any decent combos.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

There's also a few DSi-compatible flash carts with a built-in CPU for GBA emulation. I believe the Supercard DS Two is one of them.

I don't know how well Mother 3 will run on it though.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I did some research using :google:. Apparently MOTHER 3 runs flawlessly on the SuperCard DSTWO (source), and this seems to indicate it'll work on an iPlayer (source (not very solid)). The iPlayer only runs homebrew and GBA software, so you should not choose it anyway if you're interested in running backups.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I just got a DSTT and so far it works great, but there are some games which don't work right or just won't boot up. Is it a problem with the software of the card or the game file itself? if it's the card, what's the latest software for it?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's the software, the company that makes it basically ignores it now. The last firmware they put up was a beta of a 3rd party revision. Install that firmware, then just Google the name of the latest one that doesn't work and you should be able to find third party files that fix it and the older ones. DSi Enhanced games still aren't working on it period AFAIK, but there aren't many of those, and even fewer worth playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Can anyone recommend me a good audio recording program? I'd like to be able to quickly record samples of up to (or over) several minutes if possible.
I've tried DSOrganize's one, but it's pretty buggy and seems to record stutters every couple of seconds.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 8, 2010

• Locked thread