Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer

Penguingo posted:

You just realised the Malkavians inspired the Malkavian Mod.

I just found out what a Malkavian was, forgive me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 19, 2011

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

DVD Drive posted:

Is Bloodlines officially an old game now? It still feels like it just came out for me. :(

I'm still entertained by these newfangled "physics engines". Simple things...

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Enjoy posted:

I'm still entertained by these newfangled "physics engines". Simple things...

Ragdolls are awesome. There was some tech demo a while back that let you cut up ragdoll zombies any way you wanted, I wish that technique was used nowerdays.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

nightwisher posted:

Ragdolls are awesome.

Yeah, I also still get kicks out of ragdolls. I remember buying DoD:Source because whenever you killed someone with a grenade their corpse would fly off. To this day, seeing corpses gib realistically or fly off into the sunset still causes me to giggle.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Yep, The Nameless Mod is literally a mod about the PlanetDeusEx forums. The plot is about a war between forum factions, and the characters are posters on the forum. I don't know what else I was expecting, I guess.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Deus Diablo, God Devil

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yep, The Nameless Mod is literally a mod about the PlanetDeusEx forums.

It's also very good, has an absolute shitload of new content, is the closest you'll get to a true Deus Ex sequel, and is worth playing for the fact that it was a decade in development alone.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So I sit down last night to replay this and suddenly holy poo poo it's like 1 AM. I haven't gotten this sucked in to a game in a long time, much less one that I've already played several times. There's just so much there, especially with Biomod tweaking things.

I installed Invisible War too and I realized it's pretty much just running around in a bunch of little rooms punching retarded blow-up dolls in the face. In DX I'll play it through any number of ways, but everyone in IW is so loving annoying and stupid that the only way I ever play it is by maxing out my strength augs and beating everyone senseless with my God Baton. You don't have the characters like Simons or Paul (Paul Simons?), it's just four or five disembodied voices yammering in your ear always telling you to do conflicting things. Ugh. At least the punching is good.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yep, The Nameless Mod is literally a mod about the PlanetDeusEx forums. The plot is about a war between forum factions, and the characters are posters on the forum. I don't know what else I was expecting, I guess.

Finally did The Nameless Mod a few weeks ago, and... holy poo poo, it's like a professional team did a sequel. At least as much content as the original, 100% voice acted, new weapons, tweaked a bunch of stuff to work better. The storyline is a bit hard to wrap your head around at first, but you'll get it.

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Wait the nameless mod is out? Holy poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Nameless Mod is a very competent, very thorough complete waste of time and effort.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Eyebrows Mulligan posted:

It's been out for something like six months now?

Anyway, I have the distinction of being the first to crack a "my X is augmented" joke on the RPS post about the new Deus Ex 3 trailer. I feel special. :smug:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Nameless Mod is a very competent, very thorough complete waste of time and effort.

So it's a videogame then? :smug:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Eyebrows Mulligan posted:

Yep, won singleplayer mod of the year over at ModDB, raked in a ton of hugely positive reviews, and immediately became taboo on the Something Awful forums because it contains internet humor

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I'll probably give The Nameless Mod a whack once I get tired of playing through on Unrealistic mode. Speaking of which, should I run Shifter with TNM or does it not even matter?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

OregonDonor posted:

I'll probably give The Nameless Mod a whack once I get tired of playing through on Unrealistic mode. Speaking of which, should I run Shifter with TNM or does it not even matter?

No, Shifter doesn't play nice with TNM. However, a lot of the tweaks in Shifter are in TNM, such as automatic Power Recirculator, and using canisters as upgrades.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
You can do that with unwanted cans? Fuuuuuckk

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Dominic White posted:

Yep, won singleplayer mod of the year over at ModDB, raked in a ton of hugely positive reviews, and immediately became taboo on the Something Awful forums because it contains internet humor

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's like the Awful Fantasy romhack

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I've played the hell out of this game and I still find new stuff. Like before you meet Lebedev, you can get a login to a computer. The computer decrypts a number out for you - if you type the number out onto a phone right next to you, it lets you tap into a conversation between Tracer Tong and Lebedev and Lebedev's effort to make you switch sides

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Concerned Citizen posted:

I've played the hell out of this game and I still find new stuff. Like before you meet Lebedev, you can get a login to a computer. The computer decrypts a number out for you - if you type the number out onto a phone right next to you, it lets you tap into a conversation between Tracer Tong and Lebedev and Lebedev's effort to make you switch sides

That's only in Shifter. It was intended for the main game, but was cut from it, but the voice recording was still in the files for some reason, so the Shifter peeps put it in.

Likewise, if you rescue Ford Shick, he shows up at Smuggler's.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gynovore posted:

That's only in Shifter. It was intended for the main game, but was cut from it, but the voice recording was still in the files for some reason, so the Shifter peeps put it in.

Likewise, if you rescue Ford Shick, he shows up at Smuggler's.

Well, I guess that's why I missed it!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dominic White posted:

Yep, won singleplayer mod of the year over at ModDB, raked in a ton of hugely positive reviews

I wonder how much of that was due to the fact that a metric fuckton of forum members appeared in the game and as such they all upvote it wherever they can to get exposure.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I wonder how much of that was due to the fact that a metric fuckton of forum members appeared in the game and as such they all upvote it wherever they can to get exposure.

Probably not much considering how much work went into TNM and how much of a staggering achievement it is for modding as a whole.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I quit when the first quest was to go hunting for credits.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dominic White posted:

It's not that the game has internet humor, the whole game is internet humor. I'm still on the first level, and I've:

- learned about the world of "Forum City", a virtual representation of the PlanetDeusEx forums
- been tasked with rescuing a forum moderator, kidnapped by unknown forces
- killed a few security guards, after listening to a conversation they had about how crazy it is that they all look and talk the same. After killing them I explored the basement of the building and found a literal Easter egg in front of a burning portrait of a forum member.
- persuaded a newbie faction called the n00bZ to leave the district
- rescued a member of the Llama Cult from the Goat Cult. The Goats use "foons" as weapons while the Llamas use sporks.
- explored the fanfic shop, where there's books worth of fanfic that you can read in-game if you're insane, and also two archivists with like 20 minutes of recorded dialogue about the world of Deus Ex and their theories

Seriously, the shocking thing about this mod is that it's really competent and thought-out. Interesting environments, all kinds of new items, and robust characters. And the plot is about an internet forum!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They used their powers for evil.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
What god would allow this mod?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I unironically want to see a game where lipstick thespian, hipster scumbag and dr pwn terrorise the easily manipulated hordes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So, that Human Revolution Trailer.

I will be pissed if I can't actually target enemies through walls and break their necks. You've made promises you better can keep Eidos.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
Probably one of my biggest issues with that 'see through walls' aug in the original. You are mostly forced to use it in a defensive and tactical sense, never offensively as non modded bullets dont go through walls.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
One thing I like about it, though, is finding out that all coats/shirts that aren't tucked in are technically full trenchcoats, and all hats, such as sailor hats, are actually full-on chef hats.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
So, after 10 years - I'm going to replay this game. I just purchased the Steam edition. Which mods should I use?

EDIT: Oh -- heh. OP.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

Fnoigy posted:

One thing I like about it, though, is finding out that all coats/shirts that aren't tucked in are technically full trenchcoats, and all hats, such as sailor hats, are actually full-on chef hats.

Yeah, this was actually amazing. My fashion sense is augmented.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Luigi Thirty posted:

Everyone should buy Thief and Thief 2.

I would if I could, but it seems only place to find those games are on ebay or something...nothing but the third is available, and I've got that.

Anyone else here like using the hispanic JC skin? I don't know why, but he always seemed more bad rear end than the 'white-bread' version.

"My race is augmented".

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

Wicker Man posted:

I would if I could, but it seems only place to find those games are on ebay or something...nothing but the third is available, and I've got that.

Anyone else here like using the hispanic JC skin? I don't know why, but he always seemed more bad rear end than the 'white-bread' version.

"My race is augmented".

Once you go Black, Helios requires a credit check before merging. Is this thing even on??

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Wicker Man posted:

"My race is augmented".

I don't even really see him as hispanic, just not embarassingly pale and with a badass scar. Yes please.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I always play albino JC, `cause he looks kinda creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I am literally the only person in the world who plays ginger JC. It's amazing.