Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

less_than_one posted:

The Molested Owl

Owls own so hard. They're amazingly photogenic.

The Toledo Zoo has a fantastic aviary building with a couple open rooms with the birds flying around. I'm new to most of this but I think they came out alright. I'm terrible at remembering these guys' names, sorry :(

This was some raptor (red tailed hawk, maybe?) shot though a pretty fine cage, I think it came out alright.

Spectacled Owl. Very unique birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Blue-Bellied Roller and African Pygmy Falcon.

toppro
Jun 19, 2006

less_than_one posted:

Feisty Peregrine falcon - when I looked in its eyes I saw death

I'm scared now. :) Wonderfully sharp focus here.

TomR posted:

Birds!
What's this white one? Just a white goose?

These are fantastic. I love the look of the water. Has that gone through a lot of post?

Pelican (I think) Great blue heron at the coast this weekend.

toppro fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 2, 2010

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Thanks toppro, there is no post on the water. I just run them through lightroom and do some minor adjustments to contrast/brightness. Maybe some fill light, nothing major. I haven't mucked with the colours or anything like that.

less_than_one
Aug 29, 2004

Bahama.Llama posted:

1. Yes. Great Blue Heron.
2. Black Crowned Night Heron
3. Female Blue-winged Teal Female Mallard (correction by Malalol)
4. Male Mallard.

Lets get specific with the names people :lol:

Looks like you're doing a pretty good job at keeping the processing neutral, without going too over board with the colours.
Nice burst of colour on the blackbird shot and really like the complimentary blue - rusty pipe combo in the swallow shot.
I would probably add a bit of contrast with curves on the last shot and pull up the highlights perhaps.

What do you guys use to ID the birds? I've found the RSPB site pretty useful: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdidentifier/form.asp

less_than_one fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 1, 2010

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

toppro posted:

Pelican (I think) at the coast this weekend.

A type of heron, I believe.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

William T. Hornaday posted:

A type of heron, I believe.

Looks like a great blue heron but the angle is a bit strange.

toppro
Jun 19, 2006

Dread Head posted:

Looks like a great blue heron but the angle is a bit strange.

Ah, so that's what he is. Thanks. He is perching directly above me so that's what's up with the angle.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Fists Up posted:

I took this recently. Forgot what bird it is...Any help?

It kills me how sharp this is, goddamn. Fantastic shots.

Anyone in the Richmond, VA area needs to get his or her rear end to Pipeline Trail, downtown along the river. There are around 40 great blue heron nests in a concentrated area, and you can hardly turn around without bumping into them. They're everywhere. When you see four or five of them in the air at once they looking like loving pterodactyls, it's absolutely amazing.

Took these with a rented 70-200/2.8 IS. In that first picture the white haze at head-level is gnats. Hundreds Billions of them.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Went salmon fishing in BC and taking pictures of the wild eagles turned out to be the highlight of the trip for me:

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

toppro posted:

Pelican (I think) Great blue heron at the coast this weekend.

InternetJunky posted:

Went salmon fishing in BC and taking pictures of the wild eagles turned out to be the highlight of the trip for me:

Both of these shots are AWESOME.
Nice work.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Saker falcon, from a raptor demo at the local renaissance festival. Totally cheating, as he wasn't going anywhere being tied to his handler's gauntlet. The gunk on his beak is residue from a snack.

edit:
Kestrel, taken same day as above

Unknown species, aviary at the NC Zoo

(I hate this composition the more I look at it, it's cropped such because the bird's rear end/background looked bad. But this looks bad too soo...)

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 6, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
More killdeers, went back to see if the eggs had hatched (they had not)

Also saw a mute swan there.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Not sure what bird this is exactly. Quick identification attempt suggested chaffinch, but it looks too tall and slender.

scottch fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 7, 2010

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

scottch posted:

Not sure what bird this is exactly. Quick identification attempt suggested chaffinch, but it looks too tall and slender.

European Starling?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Yea, it's a starling. My least favorite birds in the world. Drive native species out of there habitat like crazy, unfortunately.

We finally had some decent weather yesterday so I drove up to the mountains with the intention of getting some landscapes, but I happened upon this bird which I'd never seen before. Sadly, this was the best shot I was able to get.

edit: It appears to be a Wilson's Warbler.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Thanks guys, not sure why starling hadn't occurred to me.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I know these shots aren't anything fancy, but I'm posting them because they're the first couple of shots I've taken with my new 600mm. :)

All are uncropped

For reference, here's where I was shooting from:

I love this lens. :D

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Finally gotten round to editing some old photos:

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
drat... is it just me or are these pictures getting better and better? Every single Killdeer picture I've seen in here makes me jealous and hell.

I'll have contributions later... but I just wanted to get that out there.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

A few more eagle shots from last week. I could use some tips for post-processing on these...I first do some NR on the background only by first removing the bird via photoshop's Filter->Extract feature (which takes ages to properly outline the bird), but then if I want to do separate processing on the bird I have to go back in and reselect the bird all over again. I'm sure there must be an easier way to do this given that I already have a layer with everything but the bird.

(Wish I could figure out how to clean this one up a bit)

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Been working through some photos of Terns I took on holiday a couple of weeks back:

(This photo brought to you by the crop, sharpen and pray school of bird photoraphy)

And here's a photo of the fucker who turned up and scared them all off:

:argh:

And finally a couple of random other shots:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
nm

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 11, 2010

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Holistic Detective posted:

Been working through some photos of Terns I took on holiday a couple of weeks back:

Those tern shots are fantastic. Those little guys are so fast I'm impressed you caught such great action.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

whaam posted:

Those tern shots are fantastic. Those little guys are so fast I'm impressed you caught such great action.

Thanks :), I'd like to claim it was down to skill but there were so many of the little bastards that it was more or less a matter of setting the camera to burst mode and shooting wildly.

Today I decided to see what I could get by just sitting on the grass in my garden with a cold drink and waiting:

Going out Barn Owl hunting this evening so I'll hopefully have a few more pictures to upload later, wish me luck.

edit: Well it only took an hour of sitting under a hedge in a ditch but I managed to get a photo:

:smith:

I guess the patience of owls outstrips my iso range.

Holistic Detective fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 14, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
^I like it!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Few backyard shots with my new 600mm:

This thing is a beast for hand holding.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Took the new Nikkor 70-300mm out for my first focused attempt at photographing birds:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

InternetJunky posted:

A few more eagle shots from last week. I could use some tips for post-processing on these...I first do some NR on the background only by first removing the bird via photoshop's Filter->Extract feature (which takes ages to properly outline the bird), but then if I want to do separate processing on the bird I have to go back in and reselect the bird all over again. I'm sure there must be an easier way to do this given that I already have a layer with everything but the bird.

(Wish I could figure out how to clean this one up a bit)

From a while back, but Lightroom 3 does a miraculous job with NR. This is 30 seconds of futzing with the sliders, no masking or whatnot involved. It would be even more effective on a full-resolution version.

[e] and don't use extract. draw the selection between foreground and background, duplicate the base layer, and with the selection active, create a layer mask for the top layer. Then just apply background stuff to the bottom layer and bird stuff to the top one. Done.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 20, 2010

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

orange lime posted:

From a while back, but Lightroom 3 does a miraculous job with NR. This is 30 seconds of futzing with the sliders, no masking or whatnot involved. It would be even more effective on a full-resolution version

[e] and don't use extract. draw the selection between foreground and background, duplicate the base layer, and with the selection active, create a layer mask for the top layer. Then just apply background stuff to the bottom layer and bird stuff to the top one. Done.
Wow, that's pretty nice NR for 30 seconds work. Guess I need to check out lightroom.

As to your second paragraph, I'm not sure what you mean by "draw the selection". I thought that's what I was doing with the extract feature. Is there an easier way?

Here's a male and female Mountain Bluebird to keep the pictures rolling in this thread:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

This is a very nice improvement over your previous work, the border is much nicer now.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

Dread Head posted:

Really liking this one.

Found some baby Partridges whilst out on a walk today:

One of them got a little stuck:

:3:

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

Holistic Detective posted:

:3:

i don't think there's any way that photo can improve.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Tongsy posted:

i don't think there's any way that photo can improve.
Agreed. Adorable shots.

Here's a jet-propelled coot to keep this thread moving:

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Boring heron.

less_than_one
Aug 29, 2004

Managed to escape for a spell today:

Crows (or is it ravens, how can you tell?) strutting about near a bunch of eating humans, eyeing up leftovers.

Hunger - these little bastards have huge feet - which you can't see here - loving mutants...

- Won't you join us for some tea, small wading bird?
- Don't mind if I do.

less_than_one fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

less_than_one posted:

Crows (or is it ravens, how can you tell?) strutting about near a bunch of eating humans, eyeing up leftovers.
Crows. Ravens are all black (your crows have some grey on them - are you in northern Europe somewhere?), are about twice the size overall, and have much heavier bills. A raven generally looks like it could easily take at least a couple of your fingers off with one good snap, a crow looks like it would need to peck away at it. In flight, a raven's tailfeathers form a wedge or chevron shape (the tail as a whole is diamond-shaped), while a crow's tail is usually square-cut at the back. Ravens are almost never found in groups larger than 3 or 4 birds, and much more often 1 or 2. Crows are usually solitary, too, but are fairly often found in much larger groups. They sound different, too - your local crows will have a range of sounds, most of which will be some variation on "aaawk!". Ravens will loving say anything - I once watched one in a tree in Vancouver pretending to be a xylophone: "bong! bong! bing! bong! clung!", plus lots of sounds that probably don't have vowels in them.