Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Green Crayons posted:

Every time I read your posts, I become further convinced practing law in Texas must be the worst.

There's a reason why no one wants to do legal malpractice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

billion dollar bitch posted:

So I start my Bronx internship on Monday, and am worried about wearing a suit in NYC in the summer. I thought about getting underarmor shirts to wear underneath the button-up; does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

seersucker.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

SWATJester posted:

I skipped listening to the MD bar guy for contracts talk about necrophilia again. He's a huge perv. It's awesome.

Our torts guy looked like, and had the sense of humor of, Bob Saget, who we all know and love as a huge disgusting pervert. Con law was presented to us by the illustrious Erwin Chemerinsky, who literally wrote the book on the subject, but can't come up with better material than "Clinton doesn't know 'harass' is only one word" jokes that were relevant in the '90s.

My lecture room was disturbingly empty today. And my flake-out study buddy hasn't been here all week. Is no one else terrified of not passing the bar?

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
The BarBri sessions here at KU seem pretty full every day, and all the recent 3Ls that I noticed never attended classes seem to be attending BarBri.

Last night at TGIT (our Bar Review/Thirsty Thursday), one of them quipped, "I attend class more now that I've graduated than I ever did when I was actually in school."

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

SWATJester posted:

I skipped listening to the MD bar guy for contracts talk about necrophilia again. He's a huge perv. It's awesome.

Was this Epstein from SMU? We just had him for 3 days here.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

yadayadayada posted:

I self-studied but I used the barbri books and lecture handouts and I seem to remember Epstein's being pretty funny. Or maybe I was just delirious and wanted to laugh at something, anything

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

Ainsley McTree posted:

I self-studied but I used the barbri books and lecture handouts and I seem to remember Epstein's being pretty funny. Or maybe I was just delirious and wanted to laugh at something, anything

Yeah, they were legitimately funny, like Conviser wanting to buy his leathers from S&M Leathers, or wanting to dance at a nude strip club.

Also several Kinky Friedman hypotheticals

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Kaufman is the best BarBri professor.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/04/disturbing-job-ads-the-un_n_600665.html

quote:

Still waiting for a response to the 300 resumés you sent out last month? Bad news: Some companies are ignoring all unemployed applicants.

god DAMNIT

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Here is where you are now.

Here is where you should be.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm more of an OE guy actually

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

CaptainScraps posted:

Today's lesson:

No one actually reads the poo poo you file, not your bosses, not your local counsel, nor the judge. The only people who read what you file are opposing counsel and only so they can bill. They won't pass it on to their clients until the eve of trial.

I read everything given to me and research/respond to every court case cited outside of a 'statement of law' section.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Quick question, although the answer probably isn't very well known. I assume most law school applications allow you to choose multiple ethnicities, as LSAC does. Does that cancel out the URM status? I wouldn't feel comfortable reporting full URM even if the second ethnicity did cancel it out, so I won't change how I report, I'm just sort of curious if the URM advantage applies to mixed ethnicity circumstances.

I'm mixed myself. Whatever you do, don't hit "other" and then explain it as "mixed." I did this and it didn't mean gently caress all and I'm changing this for all my transfer apps (where it could very well be too late for it to matter but that's another game). Select everything you are going back whatever generation, and write a diversity statement.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

JudicialRestraints posted:

I read everything given to me and research/respond to every court case cited outside of a 'statement of law' section.

What kind of court are you working for?

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

CaptainScraps posted:

What kind of court are you working for?

I work civil defense for the State of Wisconsin. My job is basically to shut down the people who will later be defendants in one of your legal malpractice cases.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

JudicialRestraints posted:

I work civil defense for the State of Wisconsin. My job is basically to shut down the people who will later be defendants in one of your legal malpractice cases.

We actually sent a letter to a judge in regards to a summary judgment that (paraphrased) stated, "Hey, there's over 300 pages filed for this summary judgment. There's another point that needs to be addressed but do you even want to read the briefing?"

"No."

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm more of an OE guy actually

I had OE at first but then it seemed like a less classy alternative conveyed the idea better.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

We actually sent a letter to a judge in regards to a summary judgment that (paraphrased) stated, "Hey, there's over 300 pages filed for this summary judgment. There's another point that needs to be addressed but do you even want to read the briefing?"

"No."
The MSJ for what would become one of the largest civil judgments in SC wasn't even 300 pages. Maybe the problem is the fact that you're taking too long to get to the point.

:smug:

I don't know gently caress-all what I'm talking about.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Green Crayons posted:

The MSJ for what would become one of the largest civil judgments in SC wasn't even 300 pages. Maybe the problem is the fact that you're taking too long to get to the point.

:smug:

I don't know gently caress-all what I'm talking about.

Wasn't my side who filed 200+ pages of it.

The MSJ I want to file? 8 pages. Doublespaced.

"Hell no, don't file that, it'll piss her off, she just dealt with a whole bunch of poo poo on this case."

"Yeah, theirs."

Eh, grain of salt. I just like bitching.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 5, 2010

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

TheBestDeception posted:

Deal with it.

(it was very mild and rainy last summer in Manhattan. Subway still sucked though.)

Ps let me know when nyc figures out central air conditioning.

I was shivering in my office today. :smug:

fougera fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 5, 2010

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

Eh, grain of salt. I just like bitching.
Hey, I fully support complaining to the internet all you want. In my opinion, the best cycle of these threads are the actual practice/clerking/client stories.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.

diospadre posted:

Hey man you already asked this and got an answer you probably didn't like, asking again won't get you a better answer.

Hmmm I remember writing a draft post and then forgetting to submit it and then I came back and re-wrote it and posted it.

I must have actually posted it the first time.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

CaptainScraps posted:

Wasn't my side who filed 200+ pages of it.

I'm hoping most of that was exhibits. We have a court rule limiting the size of SD motions (Michigan, as a whole, I mean), but it doesn't address exhibits. Seems like every douche around loves to throw in every irrelevant piece of documentation and then NOT CITE IT in their brief. Thanks, guys.

Just so you know? When I'm doing the workup for my judge, I make sure he knows that. "Defense counsel included 200+ pages of exhibits, only four of which were referenced in the brief."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Alaemon posted:

I'm hoping most of that was exhibits.

Ahahahahahah no. With exhibits (including whole depositions, rather than excerpts), a few thousand. And then there were the motions to strike some of our expert affidavits submitted for the summary judgment. Then there was a fight over the order. Then there was the bench briefs on just how to decide the underlying case and what an expert could testify to.

Let's just say that after my pissed-off affidavit post a few months back, I know entirely too much about them.

And my poor proposed little summary judgment is 8 pages, with 4 exhibits. It's the functional equivalent of a dec action and it's not going to get filed for a loooong time.

Said interpretation, if favorable, would quantify our damage model and settle this loving case in a heartbeat.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 5, 2010

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Lykourgos posted:

In criminal court your motions, PCPs, and appellate briefs are all read. Every argument, no matter how retarded, is responded to, as though all parties were guard dogs barking at the slightest hint of an intruder. People are so diligent that they will even research and reconstruct a nonsense argument so that they have something of actual substance to rebut. This might be because of the higher stakes and superior questions posed by criminal law, though.

This is true of tax court too actually, so I'm guessing it's not the higher stakes and superior questions.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

yadayadayada posted:

Yes.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Well I'm more than happy to drink Ainsley's milkshake, so I was looking at Guam jobs.

http://www.guamattorneygeneral.com/Job_Announcement.html

What the hell is a Court Clearance? They talk about it as if it separate from a certificate of good standing and separate from a police record certificate. Google turns up nothing and I've never heard of it. Applying for this job seems like a colossal pain compared to other jobs, but Guam looks like an adventure and I'm more than ready for a change of pace (from doing nothing at all).

deathdrive83
Sep 21, 2002

Outside by the other worlds.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Our torts guy looked like, and had the sense of humor of, Bob Saget, who we all know and love as a huge disgusting pervert. Con law was presented to us by the illustrious Erwin Chemerinsky, who literally wrote the book on the subject, but can't come up with better material than "Clinton doesn't know 'harass' is only one word" jokes that were relevant in the '90s.
I kind of hoped Mr. Constitutional Law would have a better establishment clause joke than "students have been praying silently in schools for years!"

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
In BarBri, is it acceptable to be getting about 50% on a set of MBE practice questions the day after you finish the section? Like, we just finished the last contracts lecture yesterday, I did the 25 MBE preview questions for it today, and got 13/25. Is that an acceptable score, or too low? I missed about 15 minutes of the second lecture and half of the third lecture, and I know at least 4 or 5 of the problems I got wrong are attributable to that (covering things in the sections I missed).

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah it was a pretty enlightening experience, to see how terrible some actual lawyers really are. It made me think "hey, I could do that"

I mean, it turns out nobody* will hire me to do it so I guess I can't, but still

*nobody in the continental US anyway...the guam drums beat harder every day...

When I was clerking, reading the briefs was further proof to me that the diploma privilege in Wisconsin should go away. Some of these people had no business being attorneys. Of course, I might just be bitter that I had to take the bar exam...

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

SWATJester posted:

In BarBri, is it acceptable to be getting about 50% on a set of MBE practice questions the day after you finish the section? Like, we just finished the last contracts lecture yesterday, I did the 25 MBE preview questions for it today, and got 13/25. Is that an acceptable score, or too low? I missed about 15 minutes of the second lecture and half of the third lecture, and I know at least 4 or 5 of the problems I got wrong are attributable to that (covering things in the sections I missed).

Last July's exam takers have told me that after the first week it's not supposed to make sense. I'm about at the same level and it terrifies me, but I don't think we're supposed to worry about it yet. Multiple choice has never really been my friend, but steady improvement is more important than getting it right off the bat.

At least in CA, you can listen to the barbri lectures online instead of going to the classroom, which is important if you're an auditory learner. Make sure you listen to the part you missed.

Edit: my reading comprehension still sucks.

Maggie Fletcher fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 5, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SWATJester posted:

I self-studied, but for my first crack at a set of contracts MBE practice questions I got, I believe, 5/17 right. I think they're designed to make you feel like a dumbass so you study harder.

But hey, I passed, so I guess it works

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Last July's exam takers have told me that after the first week it's not supposed to make sense. I'm about at the same level and it terrifies me, but I don't think we're supposed to worry about it yet. Multiple choice has never really been my friend, but steady improvement is more important than getting it right off the bat.

At least in CA, you can listen to the barbri lectures online instead of going to the classroom, which is important if you're an auditory learner. Make sure you listen to the part you missed.

Edit: my reading comprehension still sucks.
I was doing well over 50% on everything but real property (which hovered around 50% in the harder tests because RP sucks balls)

If you're meeting the targets barbri sets for you, don't worry though.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I think it's time for the annual reminder that BarBri's goal is to convince you that you're going to fail.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Draile posted:

I think it's time for the annual reminder that BarBri's goal is to convince you that you're going to fail.
Yes, but in California, you actually will (well, half of you). And yet there are already too many lawyers here already.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is the CA bar actually super-hard, or is the low passage rate mostly due to the fact that a lot of poorly prepared people take it every year? Or a combination of the two?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is the CA bar actually super-hard, or is the low passage rate mostly due to the fact that a lot of poorly prepared people take it every year? Or a combination of the two?
Both.
The ABA accredited pass rate is still pretty low.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

nm posted:

Both.
The ABA accredited pass rate is still pretty low.

This, plus I think many state bars only have two-day exams (could be wrong on this). Stamina is pretty important on the bar exam; on a 100-question MC exam, I can tell from my answer key exactly where I lost stamina and where I got my second wind.

quotison
Dec 29, 2005

don't hit your head

Maggie Fletcher posted:

This, plus I think many state bars only have two-day exams (could be wrong on this). Stamina is pretty important on the bar exam; on a 100-question MC exam, I can tell from my answer key exactly where I lost stamina and where I got my second wind.

I think every state is two days except California and Louisiana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Isn't the 3rd day only a half day?

ABA pass rate is close to 80%, that's not that bad.