Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down beat
Jul 11, 2002

TL posted:

Hey, Big Show, how many fish can you name?

Humuhumunukunukuapua

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Jerusalem posted:

Hogan's right, after all it boggles our mind just to see Big Show do a rope-assisted kip-up, there's no need for him to be doing such high-risk moves when he can make the crowd :aaa: with relatively straight-forward stuff.

Plus, if Matt Hardy botches a moonsault, you get the wind knocked out of you

If Big Show does, you're dead

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I have another question, Big Show why did WCW let you go out to the ring and smoke during promos? Did any of the road agents tell you that it was a bad idea or was it completely insane and no one cared?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

I have another question, Big Show why did WCW let you go out to the ring and smoke during promos? Did any of the road agents tell you that it was a bad idea or was it completely insane and no one cared?
Giant finished off Disco Inferno before he finished his cigarette. It was worth it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LividLiquid posted:

Giant finished off Disco Inferno before he finished his cigarette. It was worth it.

So the answer is just what I expected? It was WCW

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

dusty udder smoker posted:

dont forget he was much leaner than he is now when he was picked up for training.

He was still way over 400 pounds, just more muscular than fat.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chilly McFreeze posted:

He was still way over 400 pounds, just more muscular than fat.

I don't think he was way over 400 at the time of his debut, but either way it would have been a lot of momentum and a lot of weight and would have quickly hosed up his knees.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

I remember reading it wasn't just a regular moonsault, but a springboard moonsault (Lionsault). That might've just been the rumor mill working overtime.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
I've been watching a lot of old footage lately which includes Bob Backlund's first and second runs with the company. It got me thinking why isn't he in the Hall of Fame then I remembered hearing he was offered it but turned it down. Anyone know his reasoning behind this?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Bearnt! posted:

I've been watching a lot of old footage lately which includes Bob Backlund's first and second runs with the company. It got me thinking why isn't he in the Hall of Fame then I remembered hearing he was offered it but turned it down. Anyone know his reasoning behind this?

Doesn't he still wrestle on the independents from time to time? Maybe it's something he wants to be retired for.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Bearnt! posted:

fake e:f,b but offering a point of clarification.

On one of the WWE Legends roundtables they said Backlund turned it down because the HOF was for retired wrestlers and he still considers himself an active wrestler.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
A good question to ask Big Show: When you became WWF Champ and they decided to feud you against Big Bossman instead of the countless big names in the company at the time, or the countless wrestlers with so much more heat... did you think someone was loving with your career?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Was Big Boss Man as awesome in real life as I think he would be?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

A good question to ask Big Show: When you became WWF Champ and they decided to feud you against Big Bossman instead of the countless big names in the company at the time, or the countless wrestlers with so much more heat... did you think someone was loving with your career?

He was feuding with the Boss Man before he won the title.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rusty Shackelford posted:

He was feuding with the Boss Man before he won the title.

Which leads to the question of, "Why the hell would the WWF feud someone with Bossman if they plan for them to win the World Title in the middle of the Monday Night Wars" but, hey, I guess that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

I'm just saying, his title reign he got really hosed over.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

Which leads to the question of, "Why the hell would the WWF feud someone with Bossman if they plan for them to win the World Title in the middle of the Monday Night Wars" but, hey, I guess that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

They weren't planning on it.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

They weren't planning on it.

Goddamn Rikishi.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Burrito posted:

Yes. I met him when I was about 5 and have a pic lying around somewhere of what looks like him choking me out with the nightstick.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

I may be imagining this, but I believe they put Boss Man in the main event of RAW on the first night that Russo and Ferrara were booking Nitro. Then they did it again on the night Russo and Bischoff reset WCW. I like to think it was the WWE's way of saying to Russo and WCW "gently caress you, we don't even need to try anymore."

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

CSammich posted:

I may be imagining this, but I believe they put Boss Man in the main event of RAW on the first night that Russo and Ferrara were booking Nitro. Then they did it again on the night Russo and Bischoff reset WCW. I like to think it was the WWE's way of saying to Russo and WCW "gently caress you, we don't even need to try anymore."

Sadly the main event of the Raw opposite the first Russo and Ferrara show (18th October 99) was the Rock and Sock Connection losing the tag titles to the Hollys. The reboot night is interesting because while Bossman was in the main event tagging with Buchanan against the Rock, Nitro was reduced to 2 hours by that point. The match that went head to head with the main event of the reboot? HHH vs Taka.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I used to read LordsOfPain.net back when I was a mark for all my dirt sheet news but I hate the dirt sheet websites. Is there a place that complies all that info without all the ads and poo poo that i seem to find?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I used to read LordsOfPain.net back when I was a mark for all my dirt sheet news but I hate the dirt sheet websites. Is there a place that complies all that info without all the ads and poo poo that i seem to find?

f4w/wrestling observer.

Toadofsky
Dec 19, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is NXT filmed at the same arena as Smackdown or Superstars or something? I can't imagine a bunch of rookies who very few people have heard of can sell out arenas but it always looks like a packed house on TV.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I have a question:

Why aren't we talking about Wade Barrett more?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sondarby posted:

Is NXT filmed at the same arena as Smackdown or Superstars or something? I can't imagine a bunch of rookies who very few people have heard of can sell out arenas but it always looks like a packed house on TV.

it's taped alongside Smackdown.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Writer Cath posted:

Why aren't we talking about Wade Barrett more?

Is that you Chris?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Dylar Addict posted:

Is that you Chris?

It's axiomatic that I'm not, you gelatinous tapeworm.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bearnt! posted:

Yes. I met him when I was about 5 and have a pic lying around somewhere of what looks like him choking me out with the nightstick.

:unsmith:

I miss him. Him and IRS would have made perfect new stooges for McMahon.

evale
Dec 20, 2009

Beer_Suitcase posted:

SEScoops.com.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

evale posted:

SEScoops.com.

StraightEdgeSocietycoops.com? :confused:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

The A-Team Van posted:

StraightEdgeSocietycoops.com? :confused:

Sports Entertainment Superstar coops

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Pneub posted:

Sports Entertainment Superstar coops

Wait, so it's Terry Taylor's website?

If I were to start some tape trading for WCW and ECW, what would be some good years or general eras to focus on? I mean, I know both have plenty of bad but I'd like to have some sequential episodes and PPVs to watch without constantly screaming and clutching my head

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Timby posted:

It amazes me that Foley has never crippled anyone with that lovely piledriver of his.

That's seriously the most asthetically pleasing way to do a piledriver. Most of them go a bit "awkard" after the impact, it offends my sensibilities.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Burrito posted:

According to some Jim Cornette shoots, yeah

Cornette made him sound like a sweet humble guy despite the fact that he was huge and could tear your head off

(this was before he died too, so it wasn't just a case of sugarcoating stories because he is dead)

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Do you think it would be prudent of the WWE to place Daniel Bryan and CM Punk in a storyline together. SES trying to turn the "indy darling" to the dark side.

From what i can tell from youtube the two work well together. It would produce top notch matches and also give elevate two really great workers.

Or is the WWE dumb and does not want to show top tier wrestling on television?

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 5, 2010

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Carlton Banks posted:

According to some Jim Cornette shoots, yeah

Cornette made him sound like a sweet humble guy despite the fact that he was huge and could tear your head off

(this was before he died too, so it wasn't just a case of sugarcoating stories because he is dead)

And who would have less reason to sugar coat things about him than Cornette? Bossman is the reason his knee is hosed up for life, but he even tells the story of how he didn't catch him as kind of a funny anecdote without any bitterness.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Or is the WWE dumb and does not want to show top tier wrestling on television?

When was the last time that top tier wrestling was the focal point of WWE programming other than on pay per views like Wrestlemania?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Why hasn't WWE released another Survivor Series set after Volume 2? Did they not sell well? Are they planning to release more?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

When was the last time that top tier wrestling was the focal point of WWE programming other than on pay per views like Wrestlemania?

WWE has more great wrestlers right now than at probably any time in their history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Holy moly I just came up with the greatest business idea:

WWE digitizes their back catalog, which I am sure they are doing to some degree anyway. Each match costs $2-5. You fill up a shopping cart on the site to 2 hours or whatever, and some automated machine burns the DVD and is put in a generic WWE WRESTLING MIX box.

No, I don't actually know anything about DVD printing, why do you ask?