Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Well. What. Well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
With the possible (though still unlikely) exception of the employees, I believe Nice Pete might be the most normal person in the room.

Jim Bont
Apr 29, 2008

You were supposed to take those out of the deck.
Allow me to use Philippe to express how I'm feeling right now! Philippe?

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
You can tell Onstad has been to Denny's in the middle of the night.

Dark Chicken
Dec 15, 2002
I'm trying to remember the last time I've been to Denny's that wasn't at around 3:00 am.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
This storyline has been making me reflect on my own time in high school, and I realized that late night dinners in my town weren't at Denny's, but rather at Steak'n'Shake. We had a Denny's in town, but all the kids would rather have greasy kind of awful hamburgers than greasy kind of awful eggs.

I wonder if this was a regional thing, like how some parts of the country have Piggly Wiggly and other parts have Kroger.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

EndOfTheWorld posted:

You can tell Onstad has been to Denny's in the middle of the night.

It's something we're all familiar with. Just last week I somehow ended up at one at 3 AM and the subtle feeling that something was just plain off about everything there was unignorable.

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008

McGravin posted:

This storyline has been making me reflect on my own time in high school, and I realized that late night dinners in my town weren't at Denny's, but rather at Steak'n'Shake. We had a Denny's in town, but all the kids would rather have greasy kind of awful hamburgers than greasy kind of awful eggs.

I wonder if this was a regional thing, like how some parts of the country have Piggly Wiggly and other parts have Kroger.

Sorta.

In the south, you don't go anywhere but Waffle House. There's Dennys and Steak n Shake there too, but honestly if you're going anywhere at 3AM that isn't Waffle House, you're clearly not drunk enough. If you're a dapper sort you end up at a Perkins I guess. But that's for fancy people.

And of course off in California they have no Waffle House, or Steak N Shake. The only options are loving godawful Jack in the Box or Dennys I think. I've found it best to just go home when it's late and forget trying to find anything worth going to when you're drunk.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Expiration Date posted:

rse off in California they have no Waffle House, or Steak N Shake. The only options are loving godawful Jack in the Box or Dennys I think. I've found it best to just go home when it's late and forget trying to find anything worth going to when you're drunk.

There's Carrows, which is sort of like Denny's non-union Mexican equivalent, to steal a phrase. But if you're ordering anything at Jack in the Box that isn't the real-ice cream Oreo shakes, something has gone terribly awry. Actually, if you order that thing something has already gone terribly awry with your weight management, or you're Rod Huggins and there's a shoot coming up.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Expiration Date posted:

In the south, you don't go anywhere but Waffle House. There's Dennys and Steak n Shake there too, but honestly if you're going anywhere at 3AM that isn't Waffle House, you're clearly not drunk enough. If you're a dapper sort you end up at a Perkins I guess. But that's for fancy people.

Unless your small North Carolina town is without a Waffle House; then you must choose between Hardee's (the original Monster burger was the best drunk food of all time), or...Huddle House. Huddle House people. A terrible place to be hammered, as you spend your entire meal wondering what circumstances would lead a 75-year-old woman to be serving coffee at 3:30am at a place that sees the occasional shootout.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?
We even have Denny's in New Zealand. The last time I went there was a few weeks ago, after my sister's ridiculously late-running evening graduation ceremony. We had wanted to go somewhere nice for a late dinner/supper afterwards, but we were all exhausted, everywhere we liked was closing (weeknight), and we just wanted to put some food inside us before going home, so Denny's it was.
I ordered the grilled cheese sandwich with fries, and the menu said I could have curly fries for $2 extra. Well! I have NEVER seen curly fries in New Zealand, having experienced their weird, spiral pleasures only on trips overseas, and I thought $2 extra was just about worth it to taste them again.
What arrived with my grilled cheese was so off-target it's hard to describe. You know how crinkle-cut fries have ridges running latitudinally across the width of each fry? These had longitudinal ridges, running along their length. (Yes that was redundant, I am just trying to be clear.) Otherwise they were completely ordinary and somewhat dry fries/hot chips.
Let me just say, if I were another kind of person, and if it wasn't a special occasion for my sister, someone might have been Taken.

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Huddle House people.

I swear at one point I was totally convinced that Huddle House was the same thing as Waffle house because the signs looked really similar. (squares around the letters, etc)

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Steak well done, eggs over hard?

Strangely apropos for Nice Pete.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Dove from Above posted:

What arrived with my grilled cheese was so off-target it's hard to describe. You know how crinkle-cut fries have ridges running latitudinally across the width of each fry? These had longitudinal ridges, running along their length. (Yes that was redundant, I am just trying to be clear.) Otherwise they were completely ordinary and somewhat dry fries/hot chips.
Let me just say, if I were another kind of person, and if it wasn't a special occasion for my sister, someone might have been Taken.

This is the new Saddest Thing. It is in every way an antipodean replica of the Mickey Mouse pancake Teodor makes for Philippe. :smith:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I have only one dissatisfying experience at Denny's. It took us twenty minutes to get our drinks, and they were brought out by a manager who looked like he was stoned. We waited another twenty for someone to take our order before walking out, to a Steak n' Shake across the street. I think we generally to go Denny's over Steak n' Shake because we can smoke there, and they don't mind you staying there for a while.

I mean, all you can eat pancakes for $4. A full breakfast for $6. These are good prices and I don't care if that means eating at Denny's.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 5, 2010

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Some people find a kind of romantic realism in places like Denny's at 3am - those people are wrong.

This strip..... :gonk:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Nice Pete is a master improviser.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nice Pete looks so genuinely happy to have drawn an odd caricature on his belly, that someone wants to touch.

...:frogsiren:

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

rotinaj posted:

Nice Pete looks so genuinely happy to have drawn an odd caricature on his belly, that someone wants to touch.

It's a meeting of soulmates.
I feel such compassion for that poor little night manager. I hope she lives.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Look what I just saw someone link to on Facebook.

Onstad, you may wish to keep an eye on this situation so you can git yo' money.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I will buy a Solo, I will pay any amount

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

http://www.geekologie.com/2010/06/why_no_seriously_why_iphone_ba.php

Why isn't she rocking the TriplePlay?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Onstad, is it cool if I troll my local papers " Letters to the editor" under the name Pat Reynolds?

the Professor
Nov 28, 2002

pi pi

Jet Jaguar posted:

http://www.geekologie.com/2010/06/why_no_seriously_why_iphone_ba.php

Why isn't she rocking the TriplePlay?

She can't threeball with the best of them.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

rotinaj posted:

Nice Pete's smile is far and away the most disturbing thing about the strip. The manager just giving in and handing him the pen without protest is the best thing.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

ManiacClown posted:

Look what I just saw someone link to on Facebook.

Onstad, you may wish to keep an eye on this situation so you can git yo' money.

https://www.phoneballs.com

what the hell, is Onstad involved in this or is someone actually trying to steal a joke business idea from a webcomic

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

RolandTower posted:

https://www.phoneballs.com

what the hell, is Onstad involved in this or is someone actually trying to steal a joke business idea from a webcomic

They don't have triple or single sacs. Not buying. :colbert:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ain't you ever even thought about running a business before? You offer one version to start out with and then when the market's nearing saturation that's when you roll out the large and designer editions.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Wandering Knitter posted:

They don't have triple or single sacs. Not buying. :colbert:

Karl Lagerfeld will cold choke a bitch if they try that.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
:frogsiren: New strip :frogsiren:

I have nothing to say on this matter.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Hey there's :siren:A New Strip:siren:

EDIT: drat! So close!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
No words.

Only SOUNDS.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
no no no no no no no no

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Everything is possible...

in a nice van

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh God oh no dear God no no oh God no :ohdear:

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

I had just had a couple of loaded tequilas with my lunch a bit ago (I'm housesitting on my own and bored, so what) so I was more than slightly drunk when I started reading that strip.

While reading it, I completely sobered up and ended up more than a little scared.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
oh god

oh jesus god

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

drat onstad i mean what the poo poo man

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Hey, maybe they all just drive back home and Pete and Nathan engage in a long relationship that enriches the lives of both men.

Teodor's going to have to help Pete dump the body, isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I fear the next strip more than anything