Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Le Sean posted:

Probably one of my biggest issues with that 'see through walls' aug in the original. You are mostly forced to use it in a defensive and tactical sense, never offensively as non modded bullets dont go through walls.

I'm playing through DX2, and I like how augmented vision in that game covers nightvision, seeing through walls, AND highlighting enemies/pickups. At some point, I realized that I would leave the aug on all the time, if I could.

At the very least, I will compliment DX2's creators for making some good augs (vision, bot domination) and for mantling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

bartkusa posted:

I'm playing through DX2, and I like how augmented vision in that game covers nightvision, seeing through walls, AND highlighting enemies/pickups.

How is this remotely different from DX1? You probably never sunk the aug canisters into the vision upgrade because there are better things to blow them on.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wicker Man posted:

I would if I could, but it seems only place to find those games are on ebay or something...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thief-Complete-Collection-PC-DVD/dp/B002LVUKIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1275701526&sr=1-1

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

No good, chief, I'm in america, they won't deliver. I appreciate the effort though, I would have snapped that up in a heart beat.

Has there been any news about the Deus Ex prequel?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wicker Man posted:

No good, chief, I'm in america, they won't deliver.
http://www.amazon.com/THIEF-Collection-Project-Deadly-Shadows-Pc/dp/B0011EA24I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1275702116&sr=1-1

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Well dang! Thank you for that!

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Wicker Man posted:

Has there been any news about the Deus Ex prequel?

A new trailer, a bunch of pictures and a lot of :words: came out yesterday/today - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3278576

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
Oh God please don't let Square Enix turn this into another anime video game. I want the voice acting in the game to be just as bad as Deus Ex 1, but I don't want Japanese video game-quality dialog, which the new trailer makes me afraid of.

As long as that video stays a teaser and none of the style or characters make it into the final game I'll be ok, otherwise I'm going to cry. It just made it look like Metal Gear.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Wicker Man posted:

Well dang! Thank you for that!

My water arrow is augmented.

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.

SeanBeansShako posted:

So, that Human Revolution Trailer.

I will be pissed if I can't actually target enemies through walls and break their necks. You've made promises you better can keep Eidos.
*Walk up next to wall*
PRESS X TO WALL PUNCH
*Cinematic of punching through wall and grabbing bad guy*

Tug Grundo
Mar 16, 2010

CaptainStag posted:

*Walk up next to wall*
PRESS X TO WALL PUNCH
*Cinematic of punching through wall and grabbing bad guy*

God drat, I feel like a badass. :c00lbert:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Stump Truck posted:

Oh God please don't let Square Enix turn this into another anime video game. I want the voice acting in the game to be just as bad as Deus Ex 1, but I don't want Japanese video game-quality dialog, which the new trailer makes me afraid of.

As long as that video stays a teaser and none of the style or characters make it into the final game I'll be ok, otherwise I'm going to cry. It just made it look like Metal Gear.

As opposed to the Pulitzer-quality dialogue in Deus Ex.
Nothing in that trailer looked "Anime", dunno what you're talking about.
If you think that looks anime, I think you need to stop looking so hard for anime where there is none.

Tug Grundo
Mar 16, 2010

stratdax posted:

As opposed to the Pulitzer-quality dialogue in Deus Ex.
Nothing in that trailer looked "Anime", dunno what you're talking about.
If you think that looks anime, I think you need to stop looking so hard for anime where there is none.

It looks to me that Square Enix just threw their amazing animators at Edios and told them to do whatever they were told. Aside from the mecha, I really don't see many Eastern influences in this game. I was surprised by how Western the main character looked.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Adam? More like Saddam

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The unplanned anime is a question asked by goons and answered by goons. Deus Ex 3 is another kind of question, with another kind of answer.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

As far as I can tell, anything remotely stylized in any way = too anime to a lot of goons.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mexican JC is the only JC.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tug Grundo posted:

It looks to me that Square Enix just threw their amazing animators at Edios and told them to do whatever they were told. Aside from the mecha, I really don't see many Eastern influences in this game. I was surprised by how Western the main character looked.

Yeah, the only thing that really looked out of place was those robots.

Oh, and the "I'll send you to hell" guy doing the Mario jump on Adam instead of shooting.

This trailer and the mechanical arm tearing poo poo up reminded me of something that bothered me since the first day I played Deus Ex. How the gently caress did the NSF capture Gunther? He's a big dude with huge bionic arms and metal case for a skull, and then you give him a knife and he kills everyone in the island.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ZearothK posted:

How the gently caress did the NSF capture Gunther? He's a big dude with huge bionic arms and metal case for a skull, and then you give him a knife and he kills everyone in the island.

They probably lured him into his cell with a breadcrumb trail of sweet, sweet orange soda.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Or they wanted to see how their new agent performed and he wasn't really captured.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Grand Fromage posted:

Mexican JC is the only JC.

He's not Mexican, he's Indian. :ssh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fuzz posted:

That would explain what I did to the Quik-Stop.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ZearothK posted:

How the gently caress did the NSF capture Gunther? He's a big dude with huge bionic arms and metal case for a skull, and then you give him a knife and he kills everyone in the island.

Probably EMP'd him or something.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Fuzz posted:

Awww... Oh well, I was hoping latino's would be getting a leg up in the world for once. But nooooo...we gotta out-source everything, even nano biotech...

ZearothK posted:

This trailer and the mechanical arm tearing poo poo up reminded me of something that bothered me since the first day I played Deus Ex. How the gently caress did the NSF capture Gunther? He's a big dude with huge bionic arms and metal case for a skull, and then you give him a knife and he kills everyone in the island.

I figured he must have been lightly equipped and he was surrounded. He may be tough, but I assume it was implied that he can't take on all of them and their security bot all at the same time. After all, you can kill him with like 4-6 headshots from the pistol.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 5, 2010

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The new trailer for HR looks like they actually might have got it right. It's a bit disappointing the composers from DX and IW aren't back but I suddenly have faith.

gently caress why didn't I graduate in time to apply there :(

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
After reading the PC Gamer preview of Human Revolution I'm suddenly feeling slightly optimistic about it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Grand Fromage posted:

Or they wanted to see how their new agent performed and he wasn't really captured.

Take a look around Gunther's "cell". See anything unusual?

no, not the wine...

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
Hey, is Garrett the Thief voiced by the guy who did Capt. Diego in System Shock 2? It's uncanny...

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ZearothK posted:

How the gently caress did the NSF capture Gunther?

They prodded him with the prod.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 19, 2011

Prosaic
May 20, 2010
If I apply weapon mods to a weapon, then drop the weapon and pick up the same type of weapon later (ie dropping one pistol and picking up another), will the new weapon retain the upgrades? Because I just gave that hotel guy my pistol and I'd rather not lose all my weapon mods on it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prosaic posted:

If I apply weapon mods to a weapon, then drop the weapon and pick up the same type of weapon later (ie dropping one pistol and picking up another), will the new weapon retain the upgrades? Because I just gave that hotel guy my pistol and I'd rather not lose all my weapon mods on it.

Weapon mods are exclusive to that particular version of the weapon, they're not universal.

Prosaic
May 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Weapon mods are exclusive to that particular version of the weapon, they're not universal.

Aw, I want that guy to shoot jojo in the face but I don't want to lose my weapon mods. :(

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Prosaic posted:

Sorry, you just gave that guy a kickass pistol you'll never see again, unless of course you "What a shame" him and take it back off his corpse.

e: if you have shifter, JoJo has a unique silenced pistol that may make up for it depending on your playstyle.

Prosaic
May 20, 2010

Hard Clumping posted:

Sorry, you just gave that guy a kickass pistol you'll never see again, unless of course you "What a shame" him and take it back off his corpse.

Well, I saved beforehand just in case, fortunately.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Prosaic posted:

Well, I saved beforehand just in case, fortunately.

Toss your pistol in a corner somewhere and go pick up a replacement from a nearby corpse, hand it to Mr. Renton and then go retrieve your gun.

Alternately, if you have Shifter, then you can give Mr. Renton (and any other NPC who asks for a weapon) any weapon you have by equipping it, standing next to them and pressing the "drop item" key while your crosshairs are over them.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Gave Mr Renton a GEP gun

Results: Not pretty.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Squish posted:

Gave Mr Renton a GEP gun

Results: Not pretty.

Sometimes you've got to make a silent takedown.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008
So I finally downloaded this game, after seeing how badass the 3rd looks to be.
And I loving suck at it.

I beat the first level after 25+ saves, and even the first part of the second. But gently caress. How do these guys survive a clean shot to the head with a silenced pistol? I'm only playing on Normal.

Also just wondering beforehand, is the 2nd one in the series any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Also just wondering beforehand, is the 2nd one in the series any good?
No. It is not good. It is not even a tiny bit good. Do not pay any amount of money for it.