Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

RagnarokAngel posted:

This one isn't inherently bad, not even close to some of them in here. But it does have a few tropes that fit this thread. Namely "The mainstream liberal media doesnt report this!".
Naturally it's fictious and while it's a nice story the worst part is the absolutely creepy marine worship in here. Read that last paragraph seriously.

Yeah seven park rangers taken care of children don't give conservatives a hard on like fourty Marines do.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/glurge/daycare.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

The US Marine has essentially become a stock Mary Sue-type character for every shitthatdidnothappen.txt email that every conservative sends out these days.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Surely the more accurate Marine story is the one where they shoot the supervisor and some of the kids and try and cover it up and get a slap on the wrist?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Trouble Man posted:

Surely the more accurate Marine story is the one where they shoot the supervisor and some of the kids and try and cover it up and get a slap on the wrist?

Yeah no. I know you want D&D cred but this isn't really how you get it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You know who else used wagon circles? The Boers.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I would think that the media would WANT to report on a story of 40 Marines charging in and saving kids since that's the feel-good story every newscast needs to round out their day after 20 minutes of death/theft/rape/murder. If that really happened I honestly think it would have been reported.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Toad on a Hat posted:

I would think that the media would WANT to report on a story of 40 Marines charging in and saving kids since that's the feel-good story every newscast needs to round out their day after 20 minutes of death/theft/rape/murder. If that really happened I honestly think it would have been reported.

I don't think you understand. You see the media is run by...liberals.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The awesome thing is that you can make up any old story you want and claim it's true but just wasn't covered by the LAMESTREAM media, who's to say you're wrong?

It's easy! You try one!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

He's kind of a 'Git-R Dun' kind of Sheriff.
This is my favorite line from the email, you've gotta admit it's 100% true. Joe is git-r-dun to the core.

This almost feels like a high school debate topic, where some poor bastard got the poo poo end of the stick and was tasked with defending Arpaio. There's just so much twisted logic in there it's hard to believe someone wrote it with a straight face - it's impossible to have researched him this much and not also seen all the reprehensible poo poo he's responsible for.

I was at a party recently where someone was laughing at Joe, saying "Haha he's the guy who makes the inmates where pink underwear, he rules." I said "Haha, he's also the guy who made a woman give birth shackled to her bed and wouldn't let her get up to pee or hold her baby, so eat poo poo."

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

Triple20 posted:

I would like to have the links, if it isn't too much trouble. Nice e-mail.

Okay, I added the links. Here is a handy link to my post even: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186581&pagenumber=49&perpage=40#post377474213

I haven't received any responses - I'm kind of disappointed.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

quote:

LEADERSHIP BRIEFING

ISRAEL'S DEPUTY FM AYALON BRIEFS JEWISH LEADERS ON GAZA FLOTILLA INCIDENT

June 1, 2010

Israel's Deputy Foreign Minister Daniel Ayalon briefed hundreds of Jewish leaders today about the Mediterranean Sea flotilla incident, saying the violence erupted when an "armada" of activists with weapons attacked Israeli military personnel trying to enforce Israel's legal blockade of the Hamas-run Gaza Strip.

"We had to exercise self-defense and stop this armada," he said. Israel Defense Forces commandoes, who were lightly armed, never expected they would encounter a violent mob scene reminiscent of the 'Black Hawk Down' battle in Somalia, where U.S. soldiers were killed.

"It was like Mogadishu, when U.S. soldiers were mobbed, beaten and shot with hand-made weapons."

In Monday's clash, nine civilians were killed, two Israeli soldiers seriously wounded, and others injured. "We very much regret the loss of human life," he said. "This was never our intention."

The deputy foreign minister spoke with more than 765 professionals and lay leaders of Jewish Federations, Jewish Community Relations Councils, and other groups via a teleconference that The Jewish Federations of North America and the Jewish Council for Public Affairs organized to help keep the community informed.

Despite some initial reports that the incident was the result of Israeli commandoes attacking peaceful demonstrators, the clash was really the result of a highly organized "PR provocation campaign," Ayalon said. The Turkish-based group leading the armada was the IHH Humanitarian Relief Foundation, which has ties to global Islamist groups, he said.

Israel requested the flotilla of six ships dock at the Ashkelon port to be inspected, following protocol. Five of the ships peacefully complied, but the sixth refused. Israel, acting to defend its borders, had no other choice but to board that ship, Ayalon added.

The former Israeli Ambassador to the United States thanked the Jewish leaders for their support and urged them to help Israel publicly advocate around this and related issues.

"This is a critical time for Israeli diplomatic efforts," he said. "We have to make sure the effects of yesterday's event will not carry over to a diplomatic front between Israel and her friends."

While the incident is the focus right now, it diverts from the wider issues in the region - Iran's attempts to develop nuclear capabilities, he said, and that Hamas - a terrorist organization dedicated to Israel's destruction - is losing its political following in Gaza and hopes to rally new political support while acquiring cash for weapons.

Referring to these broader issues, he said that in advocating for Israel, "we must keep our eye on the ball."

Ayalon also said Israel would no doubt learn from this incident and adjust its defense tactics should similar attempts occur. He added that once inspected, any humanitarian supplies on the ships would be delivered to Gaza.

For a JFNA resource page on the incident and related issues - including backgrounders, videos, news coverage and more, click here. JFNA will continue to keep the Federation movement informed on the situation as it develops.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Econosaurus posted:

Wrong thread? Not that I disagree it's crazy (as anything rabidly and blindly pro-Israel tends to be), this just doesn't seem to be the right thread for it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If I have to get shot with anything I think "hand-made weapon" would be near the top of the list. Unless these people were AK-47 kit nerds or goons with neighborhood endangering flamethrowers and potato guns.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I've been getting some crazy ones from my Mom for awhile. Usually I just spend 5 minutes disproving it and telling her not to bother me with them anymore. I got this one today. Loving that awesome first sentence to kick things off.

quote:

The BIG question is what can be done to help besides forwarding this email which I hope you will consider doing?

Subject: Holocaust Survivor's View on Fanatic Islam

This is one of the best explanations of the Muslim terrorist situation I have read. His references to past history are accurate and clear. Not long, easy to understand, and well worth the read. The author of this email is Dr. Emanuel Tanay, a well-known and well respected psychiatrist.

A Holocaust Survivor's View on Islam
A man, whose family was German aristocracy prior to World War II, owned a number of large industries and estates. When asked how many German people were true Nazis, the answer he gave can guide our attitude toward fanaticism. 'Very few people were true Nazis,' he said, 'but many enjoyed the return of German pride, and many more were too busy to care. I was one of those who just thought the Nazis were a bunch of fools. So, the majority just sat back and let it all happen. Then, before we knew it, they owned us, and we had lost control, and the end of the world had come. My family lost everything. I ended up in a concentration camp and the Allies destroyed my factories.'

We are told again and again by 'experts' and 'talking heads' that Islam is the religion of peace and that the vast majority of Muslims just want to live in peace. Although this unqualified assertion may be true, it is entirely irrelevant. It is meaningless fluff, meant to make us feel better, and meant to somehow diminish the specter of fanatics rampaging across the globe in the name of Islam.

The fact is that the fanatics rule Islam at this moment in history. It is the fanatics who march... It is the fanatics who wage any one of 50 shooting wars worldwide. It is the fanatics who systematically slaughter Christian or tribal groups throughout Africa and are gradually taking over the entire continent in an Islamic wave. It is the fanatics who bomb, behead, murder, or honor-kill. It is the fanatics who take over mosque after mosque. It is the fanatics who zealously spread the stoning and hanging of rape victims and homosexuals. It is the fanatics who teach their young to kill and to become suicide bombers.

The hard, quantifiable fact is that the peaceful majority, the 'silent majority,' is cowed and extraneous.

Communist Russia was comprised of Russians who just wanted to live in peace, yet the Russian Communists were responsible for the murder of about 20 million people. The peaceful majority were irrelevant. China's huge population was peaceful as well, but Chinese Communists managed to kill a staggering 70 million people.

The average Japanese individual prior to World War II was not a warmongering sadist. Yet, Japan murdered and slaughtered its way across South East Asia in an orgy of killing that included the systematic murder of 12 million Chinese civilians; most killed by sword, shovel, and bayonet.

And who can forget Rwanda , which collapsed into butchery. Could it not be said that the majority of Rwandans were 'peace loving'?

History lessons are often incredibly simple and blunt, yet for all our powers of reason, we often miss the most basic and uncomplicated of points:

Peace-loving Muslims have been made irrelevant by their silence.

Peace-loving Muslims will become our enemy if they don't speak up, because like my friend from Germany , they will awaken one day and find that the fanatics own them, and the end of their world will have begun.

Peace-loving Germans, Japanese, Chinese, Russians, Rwandans, Serbs, Afghans, Iraqis, Palestinians, Somalis, Nigerians, Algerians, and many others have died because the peaceful majority did not speak up until it was too late. As for us who watch it all unfold, we must pay attention to the only group that counts -- the fanatics who threaten our way of life.

Lastly, anyone who doubts that the issue is serious and just deletes this email without sending it on is contributing to the passiveness that allows the problems to expand. So, extend yourself a bit and send this on and on and on! Let us hope that thousands, world-wide, read this and think about it, and send it on - before it's too late.

Emanuel Tanay, M.D. 2980 Provincial St. Ann Arbor , MI 48104
*Dr. Emanuel Tanay MD <http://www.icle.org/directory/contrib_bios.cfm?&Pnumber=F90113> is a well-known forensic psychiatrist who has been an expert witness in many famous cases. He has served as an officer or committee member on the Michigan Psychiatric Society, the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, the American Psychiatric Association (APA), and others. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and of the American Board of Forensic Psychiatry and a distinguished fellow of the APA and the American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFC).

A Holocaust survivor himself, Dr Tanay coauthored a book about the survivors of the Holocaust and was asked by the German governmen t to consult on just compensation for the Holocaust survivors. Dr. Tanay has served on several journal editorial boards, authored many publications, and presented countless times on forensic medicine. His efforts have also produced many awards and commendations from groups such as the Michigan State Medical Society, APA, the Detroit Institute of Technology, and AAFC, among others.

I hope this letter gets read by millions of people all across the nation!

Alan Shefter

10795 White Aspen Lane

Boca Raton, FL 33428

561.477.1763 FAX 561.477.1581

Cell 561.706.3436

Didn't really find anything about it other than disputes over who wrote it:
http://www.slantright.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1575

Forget for a minute that the Nazi party was elected with a majority vote iirc and Stalin was time man of the year, what the hell is this suggesting? All Muslims are bad because of a minority of fanatics? The same logic could be applied to any group ever. I hope my Mom isn't out killing irrelevant peace-loving Muslims rather than being passive.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:

Gnaghi posted:

Forget for a minute that the Nazi party was elected with a majority vote iirc and Stalin was time man of the year, what the hell is this suggesting?
Yeah, I read the whole thing and I'm still wondering what his point was, or what practical decision he's advocating.

quote:

Peace-loving Muslims will become our enemy if they don't speak up, because like my friend from Germany , they will awaken one day and find that the fanatics own them, and the end of their world will have begun.

Peace-loving Germans, Japanese, Chinese, Russians, Rwandans, Serbs, Afghans, Iraqis, Palestinians, Somalis, Nigerians, Algerians, and many others have died because the peaceful majority did not speak up until it was too late. As for us who watch it all unfold, we must pay attention to the only group that counts -- the fanatics who threaten our way of life.
Oookay...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Turing sex machine posted:

Yeah, I read the whole thing and I'm still wondering what his point was, or what practical decision he's advocating.

I think the point is that since the peaceful majority won't do anything to stop the fanatics, those of us who care must ignore the majority and only concentrate on the minority of fanatics.

So, let's ignore all the moderate and reasonable Israelis and concentrate on opposing the ultra-orthodox colonists in West Bank, because the majority of Israelis really have done nothing to oppose them.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I like how he implies that the United States knew what was going on in the USSR, that we weren't doing anything to stop Japan in Asia (until it was too late!!!), and that the Nazi party was somehow a minority rule.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The majority of capitalists have done nothing to stop the "few" that are ruthless and unethical, so we should ignore them and take over the means of production for ourselves.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Holocaust Survivor's Email posted:

Lastly, anyone who doubts that the issue is serious and just deletes this email without sending it on is contributing to the passiveness that allows the problems to expand. So, extend yourself a bit and send this on and on and on! Let us hope that thousands, world-wide, read this and think about it, and send it on - before it's too late.

Quite literally, THOUSANDS of people have read this world-wide. We're winning!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

tek79 posted:

Quite literally, THOUSANDS of people have read this world-wide. We're winning!

"There are dozens of us! Dozens!"

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Well I got out of bed this afternoon, had my coffee and started writing a reply.

quote:

Why do you keep reading this poo poo and who are the retards who send it to you? Let's look at it shall we?

"The BIG question is what can be done to help besides forwarding this email which I hope you will consider doing?"
What the hell does this even mean? It's not even close to being a grammatically correct sentence. That should be a clue; it's a sentence written by someone with the brain of a 12 year old.

"The author of this email is Dr. Emanuel Tanay, a well-known and well respected psychiatrist."
I typed his name into google and got this link. Time taken: 1 minute. It's not proof, but I'm not taking any more time than that. You can do that. If he is not the author, then chances are real author isn't a holocaust survivor at all. He's just using the holocaust to justify anti-Muslim propaganda = scumbag.
http://www.slantright.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1575

"His references to past history are accurate and clear."
His references to "past history" (as opposed to future history?) are bullshit. The Nazi party was elected with a majority vote. More people got out and voted then than do in today's polls in America. Nobody was "passive" in the U.S.S.R about Stalin. He had the biggest cult of personality of all time, so much so that the population there genuinely believed he could cure cancer or perform brain surgery. When people would set eyes on him, many would break down in tears and pass out like he was Michael Jackson or something.

"History lessons are often incredibly simple and blunt"
Bullshit. The only people who say this poo poo are the ones who never opened a book in their lives and know only the most basic outline the world events. "Oh well, there was this one World War...and then there was a another....so the second was a complete repeat of the first." History is extremely complex, chaotic and unpredictable. If you don't believe me, read about the events that took place in Sarajevo in 1914 which led to World War I. Complete chaos.

I mean, what the hell is this dumb email even suggesting? All Muslims are bad because of a minority of fanatics? The same logic could be applied to any group ever. All Christians are bad because of a minority of fanatics. All Americans as well. Why are you not out stopping people from doing things right now?!? You can't be passive about these things!!!!

Again, stop sending me stupid chain mails. They are all dumb. Why don't you forward my reply to whoever sent this to you, so maybe they will learn to open a goddamn book or do some independent research instead of just swallowing whatever diarrhea spews out of their inbox.

Or maybe I will write my own chain mail advocating suicide as the logical conclusion to a life devoid of meaning. Then anyone stupid enough to believe whatever they are told will just kill themselves off.

Love,
Your son

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'm still trying to make sense of this but it sure seems to fit this thread!

quote:

This is from a retired CHP Officer and ex military.

Makes you wonder why these guys (Ragheads) are always sitting at the end of the runway on Tuesday when I go to our POP meetings.. etc....

I received this from my ex-homicide partner who is still active in law enforcement circles in the Fresno area.

Excuse the language but don't excuse the facts. Don't give up your guns, and buy necessary ammunition if you can find it. Be cautious and alert. Be ready if, God forbid, we need to protect our families and loved ones.

If You weren't at Rotary Friday. You missed the only decent speaker we've had in more than a year. LTC John Cotter is the 144th Fighter Wing's antiterrorism officer. (Tony, you might remember him as Maj. Cotter who was the PIO the last time we dealt with him).

Anyway, John had a two-part presentation. First part was describing his job as the units antiterrorism officer. Pretty standard stuff.

The second part was information that will curl your hair. A Part-time air guardsman works as a checker at local Von's. Two women in full burkas (or whatever the hell they're called) buy every pre-paid cellphone in the store. Clerk/airman gets to thinking about it. Goes to Cotter and reports incident.

Cotter asks store for surveillance video. It's scary enough that he contacts Fresno FBI.

FBI investigates, determines these women have been doing this all
over the Valley. Cell phones shipped through Canada to Iraq/Afghanistan where they become triggers for roadside bombs.

The Shell station at Peach and Shaw. Every time a local GI goes there in fatigues they are asked specific questions.

What is your unit? When are you deploying? How many aircraft are you taking?

The F-16s out of Fresno fly CAP for west coast. As such they are the first line of defense so they have the US 's most sophisticated air-to-air missiles. Foreign governments would like to get their hands on those missiles or at least learn how to build them. Also how many we have, etc. Two spy groups are working on it, one based at Fashion Fair Mall (the F-16s take-off pattern) and one based at Sierra Vista Mall (the F-16s landing pattern).

Cotter said the ragheads (but we don't profile) are always probing the base. Two dorks in a pickup show up at the front gate wanting to deliver a package marked Air National Guard, Fresno. No postage, no UPS, no FedEx, no DHL, no nothing. Just a probe.

I asked Cotter why we haven't seen anything about this in The Bee, on KMJ, on local TV news. He said they're not interested. (That really pissed me off). Since Friday I've learned of two other things. My brother-in-law Frank, a mucky-muck from Avaya. He had a Muslim tech who took a leave-of-absence for 6 weeks in Afghanistan. After the 6 weeks were up he called from New York requesting an extension. Frank (who does profile) said, **** you, you're fired, and called the Fresno FBI who were very interested. Don't know the outcome.

A Muslim who owns a liquor store in my former hometown of Kingsburg was constantly bugging customers to buy guns for him. Finally one of the guys I grew up with called the FBI.

We are a country at war and these **** ers are in among us. I don't care what Janet Napolitano says, it's a fight to the death and we damned sure better be prepared. Brother-in-law Frank has a theory and I think it may be closer to the truth than Homeland Security wants to admit. There are a certain number (probably a big number) of Muslims among us who are awaiting the trigger date and will begin randomly killing as many of us as they can, sort of a Fort Hood on steroids. I know I'm getting prepared to shoot back.

Two items of interest. Sheriff Margaret Mims wants to grant concealed carry permits to all who are qualified. Columnist Jim Boren, among the most bleeding of the bleeding heart liberals, says it's time for Fresno residents to arm themselves.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I know it goes without saying, but Bullshit, none of that ever happened. What I love most is how it's from a guy from a guy who knows a guy who listened to a guy talk about some friends of his who were told by their barber that a raghead bought some cellphones.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

crime fighting hog posted:

I know it goes without saying, but Bullshit, none of that ever happened. What I love most is how it's from a guy from a guy who knows a guy who listened to a guy talk about some friends of his who were told by their barber that a raghead bought some cellphones.

Women wearing burqas in Fresno seemed quite improbable to me, so I googled it. Sure enough, Snopes has already debunked it: http://www.snopes.com/rumors/burqacell.asp

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Would a US cellphone even work in Iraq or Afghanistan? From what I can tell, only triband or quadband phones are even capable of being adapted, and that's expensive. You might as well get a prepaid from Iraqna or whatever the equivalent in Afghanistan is. It's not like the West is the only place to get a cellphone.

And when I was in the Navy, that package delivery would have caused all kinds of havoc right away. I doubt the "two dorks" would have gotten off base except in the back of a police car, terrorist probe or not. Maybe the ANG is a little more lax about security, but considering the Guard yahoos I dealt with when I was overseas, I find it more likely they would have taken any opportunity to go apeshit on any suspected terrorist.

And I really, really doubt that the local news wouldn't be all over these stories if they were true. This whole thing just smacks of someone reading "FW:FW: FWD: FW: This really happened!" emails in front of a believing audience.

EDIT: Beaten while typing, and with a Snopes link at that.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The F-16s out of Fresno fly CAP for west coast.

Unless there's some military CAP that I don't know about, CAP stands for Civil Air Patrol. It's an entirely volunteer, civilian run organization, and in all my years of participating in CAP I never once got to fly an F16.

So either this e-mail is a lie or I am going to be freakin' pissed at my CO.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The West will be conquered by a series of roadside cell phone-triggered bombs.

The cell phones will be purchased in the United States.

By Muslim women wearing burkas.

In Fresno loving California.

You heard it here first, folks!

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

chesh posted:

Unless there's some military CAP that I don't know about, CAP stands for Civil Air Patrol. It's an entirely volunteer, civilian run organization, and in all my years of participating in CAP I never once got to fly an F16.

So either this e-mail is a lie or I am going to be freakin' pissed at my CO.

I assume the article refers to a Combat Air Patrol (this is what is being referred to when in movies they talk about flying a cap in an area).

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I don't really even see what the point is besides "There are some people who sympathize with Islamic terrorists in the US and the FBI seems to be on top of it. P.S. Foreign intelligence services are interested in our weapon systems."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It would sure make sense to buy prepaid cellphones in California and send them to Afghanistan for IED's!

Usually prepaid connections don't allow roaming, so the connections wouldn't work in Afghanistan. And if you need just mobile phones, surely it's cheaper to buy them in Asia than Fresno.

Do people forwarding this kind of bile not consider the meaning of any of it for one moment, or do they forward it regardless of how stupid it is? :psyduck:

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Nenonen posted:

It would sure make sense to buy prepaid cellphones in California and send them to Afghanistan for IED's!
Ya these people don't travel much do you know how many cellphones there are in the world? Not hard to pick up a few locally anywhere in the world.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Nenonen posted:

Do people forwarding this kind of bile not consider the meaning of any of it for one moment, or do they forward it regardless of how stupid it is? :psyduck:

I imagine most people who believe these emails outright also think electricity is magic.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I don't really even see what the point is besides "There are some people who sympathize with Islamic terrorists in the US and the FBI seems to be on top of it. P.S. Foreign intelligence services are interested in our weapon systems."

The "point", such as it is, is to use the word "raghead" multiple times in an email and and make fun of moose limb lady funny headgear, and all the while, it's "okay" because you're only repeating the words of a patriotic member of ARE TROOPS.

And I suppose for a lot of American freeper types, it's impossible to conceive that advanced space age technologies like cell phones and the infrastructure to make calls on them exist in the mysterious lands of Araby.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The point is to make sure that you've got your guns, so when the A-rab uprising begins you can shoot those fuckin' ragheads.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya these people don't travel much do you know how many cellphones there are in the world? Not hard to pick up a few locally anywhere in the world.

It would be so easy to troll them.

"My neighbour's son-in-law is currently at training with his National Guards unit, and an anti-terrorism expert Jack Bauer told them that Arabic speaking men wearing checkered scarves on their head were going from service station to another and buying ALL THE GASOLINE THEY COULD GET in Houston, Texas. According to CIA they send it via Canada to Iraq where the terrorists turn them into IED's! Pass this information on to everyone you know!"

:tinfoil:

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:

Mornacale posted:

The point is to make sure that you've got your guns, so when the A-rab uprising begins you can shoot those fuckin' ragheads.
Also, if you know of any Arab that has ever visited a country where there might be a terrorist cell, or bought anything that could conceivably be used in a terrorist plot of any kind, fire him, repport him to the FBI and shoot him before he shoots you.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

crime fighting hog posted:

I imagine most people who believe these emails outright also think electricity is magic.

Miracles, not magic.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Cellphones would make poo poo remote triggers for IEDs anyway - too expensive, too easy to track, too unreliable. You can make a perfectly reliable line-of-sight radio trigger (and normally they'll only need line-of-sight because there'll be some bloke up a mountain somewhere waiting to trigger it when a target goes by) for a tenth the price of even the cheapest mobile phone, with the advantage that it's not sitting there constantly transmitting an easily-detectable signal.

Oh yeah and the Taliban want the cellphone network in the 'Stan shut down anyway, to stop people phoning in tips to coalition forces.

There may be a very tiny kernel of truth in it though - very early in the conflict Swiss pay-as-you-go phones were the favoured means of communication for the Taliban because of the perception that Switzerland's data-protection legislation and neutrality would prevent them sharing data with the US, which may or may not be true (but when all you need to do is fire a Hellfire at anything using that provider's SIM ID it's a bit moot).

When the story was broken (to the intense annoyance of US intelligence) a few papers reported that Swiss authorities were seeking a man in "Islamic garb" (a bit of a rarity in whiter-than-LF Switzerland) who was spotted buying armfuls of phones.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Cellphones would make poo poo remote triggers for IEDs anyway - too expensive, too easy to track, too unreliable. You can make a perfectly reliable line-of-sight radio trigger (and normally they'll only need line-of-sight because there'll be some bloke up a mountain somewhere waiting to trigger it when a target goes by) for a tenth the price of even the cheapest mobile phone, with the advantage that it's not sitting there constantly transmitting an easily-detectable signal.

Cellphones are actually used extensively in both Iraq and Afghanistan as IED triggers mostly because of their ubiquitous nature in both countries and ease of use in IEDs. While you are right about the nature of cellphones, they are still used a lot in both conflicts despite countermeasures deployed against both RF and cellphone detonated IEDs.

Here is a decent article about some of the countermeasures employed:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2005/050710-ied-jammers.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

the yellow dart posted:

I assume the article refers to a Combat Air Patrol (this is what is being referred to when in movies they talk about flying a cap in an area).

Ah, thank you, that makes much more sense.