Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

al-azad posted:

I don't understand corporate bullshit either but apparently if you're a multi-million dollar company you can only invest in multi-million dollar ideas. Film studios have smaller production companies to produce their "art house" films, same with television, and comic books/literature publishers have imprints for small press material and yet video games, despite being worth more than all entertainment mediums, can't handle creating a low-budget-high-yield product for whatever reason. Heaven forbid every video game must cost $100 million and have the most aggressive marketing campaign in the world.

If I were Take Two or EA or whatever I'd take an old video game, remake the entire thing piece by piece, update the graphics, and sell the poo poo on Steam for $20 or something with a note saying "Here's a faithful release, now shut the gently caress up!" I guess that's too difficult/costly/waste of resources/whatever.
The beast that is EA doesn't work like that. It's multi-million dollar investments or nothing, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

It has nothing to do with multi-million dollar or nothing. I'm not going to speak for EA specifically, because I've done very little business with them, but just in general, I can think of a few reasons they might be wary:

1. They want to eventually offer their products for download internally. It is probably worth the money to sacrifice short-term sales now to ensure that, once they are ready, they can be the sole distributor of their extensive catalogue. I don't know what sort of agreements the digitial distributors have, but I'm going to bet that you have to agree to make the products available for a significant amount of time, and that anyone who has purchased the product during that time can still access it later even if it is removed from the site. That sort of arrangement would completely defeat the advantages of later being the sole digitial supplier.

2. They might not have the rights to license the games for digital distribution. I'm sure for a lot of IP, if it was done far enough back, there was no specific clause regarding digital distribution. Having not seen their agreements, I think it is safe to assume that there might be limitations on distribution/use when they initially purchased the rights to the material. This is similar to a problem some TV shows had regarding the music - when they licensed the music for the shows, they didn't include rights to reproduce the music for DVD distribution, and had to go back and renegotiate those rights later (which was costly for some shows). More recent shows didn't have that problem becaue the initial music licensing agreements provided for future DVD distribution.

3. They don't want to support or deal with issues of support. I like GOG and Steam, but if for some reason those companies technical support or standards started dropping, they would now be affecting EA's image and reputation as a whole. EA doesn't want to offer their own support for those products, and it might not be worth the possible PR issues down the line.

I'm sure there are a thousand other issues. Maybe they don't want to dilute their brands which could have a negative impact on future titles. Maybe they simply don't think the profit margin is worth the investment, and they can make a larger return for the same resources applied in other areas. Maybe they are just assholes who value the cries and moans of the gaming community over profit margins.

The only thing I do know is that there is no way EA is avoiding this simply because it is "below" them. They aren't stupid. If licensing to EA was as simple and profitable as people seem to think it should be, then their decision not to enter the market is going to be a highly calculated one intended to bring them a greater eventual ROI on those properties.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

It has nothing to do with multi-million dollar or nothing. I'm not going to speak for EA specifically, because I've done very little business with them, but just in general, I can think of a few reasons they might be wary:

1. They want to eventually offer their products for download internally. It is probably worth the money to sacrifice short-term sales now to ensure that, once they are ready, they can be the sole distributor of their extensive catalogue. I don't know what sort of agreements the digitial distributors have, but I'm going to bet that you have to agree to make the products available for a significant amount of time, and that anyone who has purchased the product during that time can still access it later even if it is removed from the site. That sort of arrangement would completely defeat the advantages of later being the sole digitial supplier.

2. They might not have the rights to license the games for digital distribution. I'm sure for a lot of IP, if it was done far enough back, there was no specific clause regarding digital distribution. Having not seen their agreements, I think it is safe to assume that there might be limitations on distribution/use when they initially purchased the rights to the material. This is similar to a problem some TV shows had regarding the music - when they licensed the music for the shows, they didn't include rights to reproduce the music for DVD distribution, and had to go back and renegotiate those rights later (which was costly for some shows). More recent shows didn't have that problem becaue the initial music licensing agreements provided for future DVD distribution.

3. They don't want to support or deal with issues of support. I like GOG and Steam, but if for some reason those companies technical support or standards started dropping, they would now be affecting EA's image and reputation as a whole. EA doesn't want to offer their own support for those products, and it might not be worth the possible PR issues down the line.

I'm sure there are a thousand other issues. Maybe they don't want to dilute their brands which could have a negative impact on future titles. Maybe they simply don't think the profit margin is worth the investment, and they can make a larger return for the same resources applied in other areas. Maybe they are just assholes who value the cries and moans of the gaming community over profit margins.

The only thing I do know is that there is no way EA is avoiding this simply because it is "below" them. They aren't stupid. If licensing to EA was as simple and profitable as people seem to think it should be, then their decision not to enter the market is going to be a highly calculated one intended to bring them a greater eventual ROI on those properties.

All good points but frankly I'm skeptical of point 1. A lot of their backlog was marketed towards a generation of gamers who are long gone or have moved away. There hasn't been a proper release in the Ultima or Wing Commander franchise in a decade and despite being big games in their time do they think anyone is going to latch on from namesake alone? It's like Take Two producing a new X-COM game or hell, even Fallout 3; did anyone actually think a brand targeted to a completely different market was going to sell based on the name? Granted, Fallout 3 sold oodles but is that because it's a Fallout game or because it's a Bethesda game?

I'm sure I don't have to remind anyone that it's frustrating from a customer's point of view to be left totally in the dark. I'd love for a company that was completely open about their plans and investments but yeah, that's pretty much the antithesis of business.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

al-azad posted:

All good points but frankly I'm skeptical of point 1. A lot of their backlog was marketed towards a generation of gamers who are long gone or have moved away. There hasn't been a proper release in the Ultima or Wing Commander franchise in a decade and despite being big games in their time do they think anyone is going to latch on from namesake alone? It's like Take Two producing a new X-COM game or hell, even Fallout 3; did anyone actually think a brand targeted to a completely different market was going to sell based on the name? Granted, Fallout 3 sold oodles but is that because it's a Fallout game or because it's a Bethesda game?

I'm sure I don't have to remind anyone that it's frustrating from a customer's point of view to be left totally in the dark. I'd love for a company that was completely open about their plans and investments but yeah, that's pretty much the antithesis of business.

Its all speculation, and trust me, I'm pissed as well at the lack of Dungeon Keeper and Theme Hospital.

However, if I had to bet, not wanting to license materials they are planning to offer from their own EA download site in the future would be my first choice. They can stand to make a lot of money, and while it might not be true, I'm sure that someone has at least made a convincing argument that customers will accept a higher price point than $10. Not having to compete with multiple sites or sales on your own product, and not having to share the revenue, is a significant reason to hold off for a while.

Plus, they have a huge catalogue, and if they can get away with a similar GOG style of $5 or $10 or $15 uniform pricing for all games, they can probably convince a lot of people to spend more on some of those titles than most other sites would offer them for.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope EA is simply waiting to unveil their own internal system which will be brilliant and awesome and not try to squeeze extra money out of the customers. I just don't believe it.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Voodoofly posted:

Don't get me wrong, I really hope EA is simply waiting to unveil their own internal system which will be brilliant and awesome and not try to squeeze extra money out of the customers. I just don't believe it.

Well, if the EA Download Manager is any indication... :gonk:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
EA opens EATunes, allows all games you own to be played on your PC, Xbox and PS3, with special download editions of classic games like Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital and more on your DS or iPad.

Splooge.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is it the fact that we could all very easily, with very little effort, find ways of 'obtaining' all these games without paying EA a dime of tribute, most likely play them as well as they came from GoG, Steam, or any other service with a small amount of effort, and yet we're basically saying, "Hey, idiots, here's my loving money! Let us enrich you further! Take it, you asses!" and that EA still isn't likely to open the Disney Vault, or will likely do so with only the least reasonable, Sony-esque contempt for its customers?

Is it that fact that makes it so infuriating?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
This weekend's promo: 25% off of Beyond Good & Evil, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and Psychonauts:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I found Heroes 3 and 4 with every expansion bundled for 8 bucks. While the store processes the order I have a question about 3. For internet MP, do expansions installed matter? Can I play with someone who only has the core game?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Charles Martel posted:

This weekend's promo: 25% off of Beyond Good & Evil, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and Psychonauts:

Well drat, another week where I already own everything on offer.

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
Wow, I nearly bought Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts, and a few other non deal games just before that deal started. Anyone who hasn't played Psychonauts has no excuse.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Danger Kick posted:

Wow, I nearly bought Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts, and a few other non deal games just before that deal started. Anyone who hasn't played Psychonauts has no excuse.

I did and Im probably on of the few gamers in SA who think it sucks. To me, is a mediocre plataformer with just not my type of humor.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I did and Im probably on of the few gamers in SA who think it sucks. To me, is a mediocre plataformer with just not my type of humor.

Ditto. Both Beyond good and evil and Psychonauts were average I thought.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

Kashwashwa posted:

Ditto. Both Beyond good and evil and Psychonauts were average I thought.

I loved BG&E, Psychonauts was fun and the environments were interesting, but not worth playing again.

That being said, how are BG&E's controls on the PC? I played it on the PS2 back in the day.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Serious Michael posted:

I loved BG&E, Psychonauts was fun and the environments were interesting, but not worth playing again.

That being said, how are BG&E's controls on the PC? I played it on the PS2 back in the day.

They're okay. It's better with a gamepad, and the game really doesn't like modern computers.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, if you don't get that style of humor in Psychonauts you have no reason to play the game. The setting/characters/humor are the main reason to play it. It was a game I would have much rather watched then played myself, it was slightly flawed.

I never beat BG&E and from what I heard, it's nothing but blue balls if you do since it was never picked up for a sequel.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
I just bought Freespace 2, but every time I try to play it the controls scare me off. I have a joystick but I'm terrible with it and don't like it, I don't see how it's supposed to make you more accurate. Plus I have no idea how to lay out the controls, there's so many that I look at the screen for 2 minutes before turning the game off in frustration. If there was just some 360 controller map guide, then that'd be lovely, but I still have no idea how to lay that out.

Is there any tips people can give as to how to layout a flightstick or a controller in that game? I don't understand how it's supposed to work. Complex controls scare me, help please. :(

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

I never beat BG&E and from what I heard, it's nothing but blue balls if you do since it was never picked up for a sequel.

It was picked up for a sequel, and has been in the works for a really long time, actually. So far there's hardly been any news at all about it but maybe this E3 we'll be seeing something about BG&E2.

There were rumors a week or so ago that the game was canned but I think those ended up being false.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
double post oops

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

SSJ Reeko posted:

I just bought Freespace 2, but every time I try to play it the controls scare me off. I have a joystick but I'm terrible with it and don't like it, I don't see how it's supposed to make you more accurate. Plus I have no idea how to lay out the controls, there's so many that I look at the screen for 2 minutes before turning the game off in frustration. If there was just some 360 controller map guide, then that'd be lovely, but I still have no idea how to lay that out.

Is there any tips people can give as to how to layout a flightstick or a controller in that game? I don't understand how it's supposed to work. Complex controls scare me, help please. :(

I beat the game with a mouse. I don't think I really remapped the controls.

Combat controls were left mouse as lasers and right mouse as missiles.

Movement was done with mouse and a and z controlled how fast you were going. Tab was turbo and m was match speed with target. T was cycle target.

There are some finer points like linking up different lasers and reinforcing shields or evenly distributing them which you should figure out in the very well done tutorial.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It was picked up for a sequel, and has been in the works for a really long time, actually. So far there's hardly been any news at all about it but maybe this E3 we'll be seeing something about BG&E2.

There were rumors a week or so ago that the game was canned but I think those ended up being false.

No, there were rumours about six-nine months ago that it was canned, then we were told it was just on a backburner, then the lead designer (Michel Ancel) quit Ubisoft last week making a sequel extremely unlikely.

e; VVV I've been told. Thanks.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 4, 2010

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Ansob. posted:

No, there were rumours about six-nine months ago that it was canned, then we were told it was just on a backburner, then the lead designer (Michel Ancel) quit Ubisoft last week making a sequel extremely unlikely.

I think this was also just a rumour

quote:

But a Ubisoft representative told Eurogamer, "There are no changes on the horizon."

When asked if that means Ancel is still at Ubi and that BG&E2 is still in development, the representative replied, "Yes."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/beyond-good-and-evil-2-still-in-dev .

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, if you don't get that style of humor in Psychonauts you have no reason to play the game. The setting/characters/humor are the main reason to play it. It was a game I would have much rather watched then played myself, it was slightly flawed.

Even if you don't get your storygasm at the end, the game is still a lot of fun to play through.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I think this was also just a rumour

Yeah, that's the rumor I was talking about actually. BG&E is still on track.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Andrigaar posted:

Even if you don't get your storygasm at the end, the game is still a lot of fun to play through.

I did enjoy it, it felt like Zelda mixed with Half Life and furries. Despite all that, it was still fun. I think I cut out around the time you had to boat race or something... I recall a stealth segment too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Michel Ancel, creator of Rayman and BG&E, recently left Ubisoft so even if the game were still in development it would lack one of the few guys with a creative bone in the entire company.

And it's about loving time, Jesus Christ. That guy's name is prolific on the same level as Schafer, Mechner, and Molyneux. He could've found a job anywhere. I guess Ubisoft either had him in a tight contract or paid him a billion dollars to sit on his thumbs and the job security was too good to pass up until recently. I'm excited because the news of him leaving carried a statement saying he was founding a team to design 2D platformers.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

Michel Ancel, creator of Rayman and BG&E, recently left Ubisoft

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

this was also just a rumour

Literally four posts above you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ansob. posted:

Literally four posts above you.

I thought it was referring to the continuing development of BG&E2 and didn't bother clicking on an abbreviated link. Oh well, my statement still stands why a guy as talented as him continues to work for publishers that spit on his creativity. He's not as big as he used to be but is still a prolific guy and could easily found his own company.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

So is there much point to getting Sands of Time if I already finished Two Thrones a good while back? From what I gather Two Thrones' platforming was about as good and it had a much better combat system, so it doesn't sound like I'd be missing all that much...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So is there much point to getting Sands of Time if I already finished Two Thrones a good while back? From what I gather Two Thrones' platforming was about as good and it had a much better combat system, so it doesn't sound like I'd be missing all that much...

You really aren't missing anything unless you want to see where the series came from.

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe
May 13, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Well, since there isn't a thread for it specifically, I've been meaning to go back and play through Fallout 2 forever now, and I'm wanting to either have the MIB88 Megamod or the Restoration Project going. For those who have played them, which would you recommend? Or, alternately, is there any way of getting them to play nice together? I can get the game to run, but when I try to save, I get an error about not being able to do so.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I'd say yes. It's a completely different game in tone if not mechanics, the combat is still pretty alright, it has some pretty good characterisation of the Prince and Farah and it's fun. I've never bothered to replay WW but I finish SoT every now and again when I feel like some good platforming.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe posted:

Well, since there isn't a thread for it specifically, I've been meaning to go back and play through Fallout 2 forever now, and I'm wanting to either have the MIB88 Megamod or the Restoration Project going. For those who have played them, which would you recommend? Or, alternately, is there any way of getting them to play nice together? I can get the game to run, but when I try to save, I get an error about not being able to do so.

I post this in every fallout thread... both of those blow pretty badly. The additional content in them that is. the bugfixes and all are excellent (i think those are the same in both of those mods? don't remember). I'd probably go with the restoration mod first since i was less offended by the writing in that one, but it's been a long time since i played them so maybe they've changed for the better? Just realize that any content directly pulled from the code is going to be unfinished with almost empty locations and strange unfinished quests, while any content that is actually new has all the quality of writing you'd expect from a guy who likes digging through source code and posting on NMA.

There's a (large) bugfix mod you should download if that's what you're after, but otherwise just get the content mods if you've finished the game a couple of times and really want something new

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I felt like playing an old-school FPS and bought the Whole Unit of Blood, because I've never played it and man, is that game hard on the "normal" difficulty. :haw: Duke 3D or Rise of the Triad are nothing compared to this.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Caleb on Blood has some lovely quotes aswell, the game is still really fun to play but i hate the fact that they never let the community mess with its code like Duke3d. So theres not awesome source ports like eDuke3d with his hi-res pack.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Games which used to be multilanguage stay like that? I'm asking since i've seen available language: English only through every game i've clicked.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.
So... King's Bounty. Do you have to do anything special to get recruitable monster populations to refresh? I'm trying a Mage with an undead army, but I can't find anywhere to buy more troops. I'm up to the main story quest that sends you to the Freedom Islands with a level 9 hero. The only area I've come across that actually sells undead troops is the Marshan Swamp, and the Dwarf there has run out of Diseased Zombies, Furious Paladin has run out of Skeleton Warriors, the source of Skeleton Archers dried up so long ago I can't even remember where they came from and the Cursed Ghosts are running low in the graveyard castle. I have as large an army as is possible using the above troops (Evil Beholders instead of Archers, though), but every mob on the Freedom Islands is Strong or above. Am I missing something, are you supposed to swap between army types regularly, or do I just suck so much I've burned through all my avaliable troops too quickly?

edit: When I say 'avaliable troops' I still have all the Human/recruitable monster pools full, but I have the zombie wife and artifacts set up to benefit undead troops, switching to something else will make me a lot less effective for a while.

cell fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 7, 2010

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

cell posted:

So... King's Bounty. Do you have to do anything special to get recruitable monster populations to refresh?

Am I missing something, are you supposed to swap between army types regularly, or do I just suck so much I've burned through all my avaliable troops too quickly?

Sometimes, when you complete a quest for someone, they'll get more monsters. Generally though, once they're gone, they're gone. You are supposed to switch around troop types, though occasionally it will result in you losing out on some of your bonuses.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Monster load out is randomized at the beginning of the game. In one game you might have a supplier with 600+ troops, in the next game they could literally have 5 of the same troops. Sometimes you'll encounter weird suppliers like a tavern that selves elves and beholders or something. I didn't get dragons until late late late late late game while some people could buy them early.

It sucks to lose out on bonuses but it's a pretty long game and Freedom Isles has a bunch of ghost ships and graveyards. Eventually (like I said, everything is randomized so I can't say when) you'll get an animate dead spell which lets you raise dead troops into undead. The sacrifice spell is also ridiculously overpowered because it lets you replenish troops you never bought. In other words you can buy cheap, infinite troops like peasants and use sacrifice to gain like 10 level 4 troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Seriously, Sacrifice is awesome. "Oh, so I am running out of Inquisitors/Royal Snakes/Knights? No problem! Just let me buy a bunch of archers/peasants and sort this out!"