Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
You know you're a child of the 80s if

I am pretty much a masochist, since it's not a pattern to attempt in 6mm if you lack patience & awesome skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

big_g posted:

All this Trafalgar stuff sounds awesome. I think I have an article in some relatively recent wargames mag that has good ideas for adjustments that make good house rules I can try to dig it out if any one is interested?

Please do!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Lord Commissar posted:

Please do!

Yeah a copy of those improved rules would be awesome.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Serotonin posted:

Yeah a copy of those improved rules would be awesome.

I'm so bad at taking pictures of books. I hope you can figure these pictures out:

Take note that some of these rules makes the game better overall, and some make it just more historical. For example, making the raking rules stricter is very good IMHO as it rewards a good player. Delaying weather rewards good planning. The new collision damage makes the pile-ups etc. less of a deal. Heated shot is insanely overpowered, and should be removed. Those are fine.

However, removing the different ranges for light and heavy guns makes the game more historical but removes a gameplay element. So does the removal of aiming leewards. So if you like those and isn't bothered them not being totally historical, I'd keep them in. We sure do at our club. Same goes with the rule that simply give British ship higher command value and nerfs the Spanish, giving them a -1 to hit to boot. That's probably very historical, but in a game where the British are already much better and the Spanish are pretty bad, giving the British more bonuses and further nerfing the Spanish doesn't make for a better game IMHO. So we don't use those. Neither do we use some of the more fiddly things like relocating heavy and light cannons and such, but that is mostly because it's fiddly rather than the rules per se being bad.

We also have a house rule banning Brace for Impact, since if you play by the rules in the book then you can get a free super-turn that is better than anything you could do normally by putting your ships in bad positions. It's just so open for abuse that we decided to remove it altogether.

perry miniatures posted:

D19 - Black Powder French Army Deal - Mounted Napoleon pack, 16 plastic box sets of French Napoleonic Infantry (672 Infantry), 1 pack of Mounted Colonels, 1 pack of generals, 1 pack of Corps commanders, 3 packs of Line foot artillery. 8 plastic box sets of cuirassiers/carabiniers (112 cavalry) 1 pack of heavy cavalry commanders, the Marshal Ney pack, 3 packs of Line horse artillery… and a signed copy of Black Powder. Actual price £487.00 GBP - Deal price £415.00 GBP post-free!

I never thought I'd see an army deal that made the 40K Sicarius thing look wimpy. 28mm napoleonics is just insane...

(their smaller deals they also added are not so good though, someone calculated that buying from Maelstroem gives you a similar saving)

I got some Koreans for three reasons: one, to make the Japanese "couns as Empire" army a little bit more colourful, two, because they actually have shields and as such are much better State Troopers for an Empire army, and three, because they could eventually be an historical enemy army for something like WAB. Here's my first shot at them, the glossy look will be more normal once I get some matt varnish on, and the bases are not finished yet. I'm still debating whether a chaotic mix of colours is the best way to do it, but at least they look fun for now.

Last but not least, a Helblaster Volley Gun! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM2NcPwsngU

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 4, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

So, the USS Constitution is obviously a Fifth Rate, and I'm sure I'd take the Overgunned and Sturdy Construction bits. I'm not sure what else I'd add to it.

I really don't understand why they didn't include it in "special ships", or stats for Stephen Decatur, since they mention the War of 1812 and the Barbary pirates. It's not -all- about Trafalgar, despite its name.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Cheers for that! Will send them to my wargames group for discussion.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

So, the USS Constitution is obviously a Fifth Rate, and I'm sure I'd take the Overgunned and Sturdy Construction bits. I'm not sure what else I'd add to it.

I really don't understand why they didn't include it in "special ships", or stats for Stephen Decatur, since they mention the War of 1812 and the Barbary pirates. It's not -all- about Trafalgar, despite its name.

A small add-on with more famous ships, admirals, captains and scenarios would be cool. Most fleets don't even have a single special ship or person, and there should be a ton more scenarios to do.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Does anyone have experience with Baccus classical phalangites? In particular how well a base of the 'advancing' models stack up in front of base of other units? I was going to pick some up for an enemy of my Romans, but if they don't make good base to base contact, no point really.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Sokrateez posted:

Does anyone have experience with Baccus classical phalangites? In particular how well a base of the 'advancing' models stack up in front of base of other units? I was going to pick some up for an enemy of my Romans, but if they don't make good base to base contact, no point really.

Not personally, but I would be very surprised if they dont stack up well, seeing as every other Baccus figure is designed to be based in this way. Email Pete at Baccus, hes a very good guy and will give you advice.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I would assume (as 6mm is generally a 'wargames first, modelling second' kind of scale ), that they fit nicely, but going by the pictures it looks as if they would have some trouble if the pike hung over the base in any capacity. But I will email Pete.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I'm liking what I've seen of Ambush Alley. Got the PDF and a friend and I are gonna try out the rules tomorrow using proxies, but I'm already shopping around for potential minis to purchase. I'm considering the Peter Pig USMC minis for the Trained force, but I can't really find anything I like in 15mm for the insurgents. Peter Pig doesn't have anything good and the Rebel Mini insurgents don't look insrugenty enough (they're wearing BDU/uniforms with head wrappings). I was figuring maybe I'd do Africa instead of Middle East, but then I spotted these minis in a AAR on the AA forums.

Anyone know what line/seller these are from? They seem to be based on pennies so I'm pretty sure they're 15mm. Still, I'm liking the fact that I'm so far ballparking at about $50, $60 tops for the basics of what I need to play (a US Army L.I. Platoon and 40-50 insurgents, plus a few extra special characters). A nice change from the other minis games I've played in the past.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone know what line/seller these are from? They seem to be based on pennies so I'm pretty sure they're 15mm. Still, I'm liking the fact that I'm so far ballparking at about $50, $60 tops for the basics of what I need to play (a US Army L.I. Platoon and 40-50 insurgents, plus a few extra special characters). A nice change from the other minis games I've played in the past.

This is really a stab in the dark, but they look a bit similar to Quick Reaction Force: http://quickreactionforce.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=24

Anyway, they should have 15mm "insurgenty insergents", check their afghans for example. They even have things like news teams if you want to make some special scenarios later on. And they're pretty cheap. I bought some Carthaginians from them and they were on the large side of 15mm, but since that is from an entirely different section (Freikorps) I don't know how their moderns look in real life.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone know what line/seller these are from? They seem to be based on pennies so I'm pretty sure they're 15mm..

I've got some 28mm figures that look pretty much exactly like those insurgents. I don't know what range they are, but they turn up on Ebay frequently if you search for 28mm Taliban

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Im pretty sure (near enough 100% sure) they are the Old Glory Mujahadeen that our group has. Actually on second thoughts I aint so sure. They might well be 28mm.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 6, 2010

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Im pretty sure (near enough 100% sure) they are the Old Glory Mujahadeen that our group has.

A cheap solution would be to just pick up a 50-bag of Old Glory insurgents. I have their WW2 Germans and find them perfectly ok.

QRF are better if you want to buy specific additions like mortar, sniper and MG teams though.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

A cheap solution would be to just pick up a 50-bag of Old Glory insurgents. I have their WW2 Germans and find them perfectly ok.

QRF are better if you want to buy specific additions like mortar, sniper and MG teams though.

Yeah. My advice is get a bag of cheap Old Glory figs with rifles, then buy QRF for the special weapons guys. We ended up buying the Old Glory speical weapons pack and we have far more Taliban with RPGs, mortars and HMGs than we know what to do with now!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

If you go with Africa, if it's imperative you buy Peter Pig's naked militia with AKs.

Also:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=104

quote:

Battles of Napoleon

For twenty years, from 1796 until the final defeat at Waterloo in 1815, Napoleon Bonaparte and his generals fought on the battlefields of all Europe.

Battles of Napoleon is a gaming system that allows two players to recreate the most important historical battles the era. The Eagle and the Lion, the first game in the Battles of Napoleon series, gives you all you need to recreate many of the major clashes that saw the French and English armies –sworn enemies – face each other on the battlefields of Belgium, Spain and Italy. No less than 10 battles are featured, each of them based on a major historical event.

In Battles of Napoleon – The Eagle and the Lion, the two players control the French and English armies (sometimes supported by allies of other nationalities) in a specific battle.

Battles of Napoleon includes:

* 4 game boards, printed on both sides
* 200 plastic figures, including artillery pieces
* 120 cards
* 2 ten-sided dice
* 20 order markers
* 150 counters
* 2 player reference cards
* 1 scenario booklet
* 1 rulebook

Looks like it might be a good way to get more people in to historicals.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 6, 2010

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

That looks cool as hell

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

FFG shows it as being "on the boat" so I'm guessing late June/early July for release.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Any info on what scale those would be? Or will they be Risk-like tokens?

EDIT; the best idea or the worst idea. Will decide when I see the minis

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 6, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Here's some more info:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=104&esem=1

It does seem somewhat Risk-like, but more advanced. If I had to guess, I'd say the figures are 25/28mm.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Some work in progress shots of my Perry French Dragoons. Serously lovely figures, a joy to paint, although I kind of wish I had glued my riders on and painted them all in one go. Looking at my box of Hussars, I am sure thats what I will do with them as they have so many fiddly bits to hang off them!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Those look great.

I really would paint them separately. It's just easier in the long run.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

Those look great.

I really would paint them separately. It's just easier in the long run.

Yeah Ive rigged up some cool painting stands for them

Wrapped some florist wire round a coffee stirrer and then drilled a hole in the riders arses and popped them on the stands. Little dab of pva to hold them still on the wire.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

This year at Historicon:

quote:

The new Jurassic Reich range will include both the Kriegclaw (mounted dinosaur units) and the Pterowaffen (also known as the Stukadactyl) squadrons.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

That is rad as gently caress.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Serotonin posted:

Im pretty sure (near enough 100% sure) they are the Old Glory Mujahadeen that our group has. Actually on second thoughts I aint so sure. They might well be 28mm.

They don't seem to be detailed enough to be 28mm, but maybe that's just the pictures.

I found the Old Glory website and there are nothing listed as "Mujahadenn" in their modern section, and even worse, almost nothing in the modern section actually has pictures! Do they expect people to just buy things sight unseen?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Do they expect people to just buy things sight unseen?

Yes, they do.

Most historicals manufacturers don't have pictures.

I think I'll add that to the FAQ.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

EDIT: I am stoopid.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

almost nothing in the modern section actually has pictures! Do they expect people to just buy things sight unseen?
Stop!... Ranting time.

Many people in the historicals business are older than your father and thinks of a computer as a fancy typewriter. They think that online stores is not worth having and expect you to turn up at conventions to check out their stock and buy, because everyone who plays historicals live in the UK. They think it is perfectly fine for you to write them a letter (or fax, if they are young and hip!) with your order, an order you decide through checking their catalogue which is just a sheet of paper with indecipherable things like "AC125 lat. Song inf. w/ s."

This is because historicals were just fine with miniatures that looked like poo poo until GW came by and raised the bar in miniatures, and no-one wants to admit that. Before, people who wanted to paint nice things and have nice looking miniatures painted 54mm or bigger, while smaller scales were just fancy versions of paper tokens to push across the table. Of course you'll be perfectly fine with ordering blind if you don't give a poo poo whether your Celts look like blobs or not, as you're just seeing them as game pieces. I really really hate this part of the historical hobby with a searing hot passion. No, I don't want to look at PICTURES THAT YOU DREW OF YOUR MINIATURES AND PUT UP ON YOUR WEBSITE, you old fart who can't figure out how a camera works or bring a poor nephew or someone to do it for you.

gently caress.

That.

poo poo.

(It's getting better year by year though, companies like Dixon recently stopped just putting up scans of drawings on their webstore. But still, how difficult is it to take a god damned picture with a digital camera, run it through something like Picasa, and then upload it? If you want me to buy your poo poo, at least have the common curtesy of putting up a picture. Even otherwise great companies like Perry Miniatures gently caress this up repeatedly, they have some entire line-ups with almost no pictures at all)

EDIT: on a happier note, I finished my first 6mm master house today. I have no idea if it is built in a castable way though, as this is my first try. It's far from perfect, but I must say it is not so far behind the thing professional terrain makers put out for 6mm. I've already started on the second house, and plan to make some trial casting once I get about four or five houses put together.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 6, 2010

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

Lord Commissar posted:

Here's some more info:

It does seem somewhat Risk-like, but more advanced. If I had to guess, I'd say the figures are 25/28mm.

They're 1/72.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

FirstCongoWar posted:

They're 1/72.

Which is roughly 25/28mm, although maybe 20mm would be more accurate.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

Which is roughly 25/28mm, although maybe 20mm would be more accurate.

Yeah, today's 20mm are very very close to 1/72. Too bad, I would have preferred them to be a bit bigger. But what it did make me think of was this: custom made hexagon maps in larger sizes and Victrix/perry/front rank/whatever 28mm napoleonics. Or even 6 or 10mm. Could be a fast and easy way to play nappy, and a reason to paint up those miniatures that Serotonin makes look so good.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Question time.

My personal frame of reference extends as far as GW models and that I watched Ronin once. Now I can understand the stupidity of selling L@@K PRO PAINTED blood angels on eBay for a bit over the original box price, but seeing platoons of FoW stuff for 3x the original price on eBay? Is this seriously the standard for FoW?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just found out those guys I was trying to ID are 20mm Britannia minis. Which is the wrong scale. Blast. The QRF Afghan minis don't look too bad, guess I'll be going with them. Too bad no one produces any good looking appropriate civilian minis as far as I can tell. Well, QRF has afghan civilians but they're just standing there idly, hardly the passive-aggressive mobs in Ambush Alley.

So far I'm looking at about $75 for almost all I need to play the game; a US Army L.I. Platoon, a Stryker, a few special figs, and about 70 misc. insurgents. Mix of Peter Pig and Quick Reaction Force.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Tentacle Party posted:

Question time.

My personal frame of reference extends as far as GW models and that I watched Ronin once. Now I can understand the stupidity of selling L@@K PRO PAINTED blood angels on eBay for a bit over the original box price, but seeing platoons of FoW stuff for 3x the original price on eBay? Is this seriously the standard for FoW?

Historical gamers are usually older and have a much larger income than 14 year olds, lack painting skills/complains about losing eyesight, so they will pay for others to paint their stuff. I just saw a painted DBA army, we're talking some 50 15mm miniatures, for 250 bucks on E-bay. It's really weird, but eventually, someone will pay for that.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Lord Commissar posted:

Here's some more info:

It looks like it's a Napoleonic version of their WW2 boardgame, Tide of War.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

Stop!... Ranting time.

Good rant. And I agree with 99% of it. If not all of it.

But to add a devils advocate view (which Ive picked up from reading responses from mini makers on TMP) just coz this is SA and we like arguing.

99% of these companies are one or two man operations (at least in the UK) and some have been trading 20 odd years. Take my fave 10mm company Pendraken (who until recently had bugger all pics on their site) they have over 2000 stock items in 10mm (if memory serves me right). That would take days to photograph, maybe even weeks, time that the guy, Dave, running the place wouldnt be able to take orders (and get paid!), cast more models, and design new ones. Its a big old job. If you are using pics to illustrate you want decent ones as a bad pic is probably more likely to put someone off purchasing than no pic. You are talking flash removal, cleaning up, maybe giving a light ink wash to to pick out detail (not essential but recommended for pics of bare metal), setting up in a light box, croppping, labelling, uploading, etc etc.

Even if that process took as short a time as 2 mins a figure (which I am sure it wouldnt) for a company like Pendraken that would be 66 odd hours of work! Thats not to be sniffed at.

Lots of companies are getting better at this, and Pendraken for instance are photgraphing all their new stock, and using customers pics of painted models to illustrate which is a good idea) but its goings to take time. Granted theres no excuse for a new company not to have pics though.

Also you make the comment about the expectation of customers to look at shows in the UK, well inescapable as it is, the UK market is the bread and butter of 99% of these companies, and there are various shows pretty much every week in the UK, through out evweyr region where people can see many of the models, so that model of merchandising is very much still alive here in the UK. We are very fortunate in that respect, but I can acknowledge that it doesnt suit international sales in anyway.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'm a instant gratification consumer and I don't care. No Pics, no Purchase. :colbert:

(Actually I do understand and sympathize with some of the circumstances, but that still doesn't mean I'm going to buy it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Tentacle Party posted:

Question time.

Doesnt sound too bad to me price wise.

Im not the fastest painter in the world, but I paint to a fairly good standard. I dont paint FOW, but my similar sized infantry bases with 5 men on in 10mm for Blitzkrieg Commander take me easily good 2-3 hours a piece to prep, glue, undercoat, paint and then base nicely.

How do you then compensate for that time spent if you want to sell them on? Granted the 5 figures are about 50 pence worth of lead, the bases are a few pence each, then theirs the materials used- paint, undercoat, sand, flock, static grass, glue etc. Would it seem unfair to you if I sold this lot for £1.50- 3 times the cost to buy the figures. Because let me tell you I would be hosed right off if thats all they were worth after 3 hours of hard work.
What about a plastic 28mm Napoleonics figure- value again about 50p. I wouldnt be happy to flog one of my fully painted figures for £1.50. My day job pays me £20 an hour, I dont want to see my hard earned leisure time being costed at about 50p an hour.

Saying that I wouldnt sell my miniatures as theres no way I could make up the cost in time to paint them monetarily.

Its a hard one to judge, the real value of painted minis. People will pay what they think they are worth I guess, as you have witnessed on eBay.