Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
So does this guy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Nothing quite like a ride home in a light steady rain torrential loving downpour. With a light breeze blowing 40+mph winds. In my nice waterproof commuting/touring gear perforated one piece leathers. Riding on reasonable street tires with decent wet grip freshly mounted DOT race tires.

:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

needknees posted:

:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

I know your pain. I got caught in a horrid downpoor on my KTM with track destroyed tires, hydroplane city. I couldnt stop laughing at how just absolutely soaked and ridiculous it was. Also, I had my open face SM helmet on = getting pelted in the face. Hurts like a bitch.

When it's raining that hard the Streetfighter is just downright loving dangerous. 5% throttle and the rear tire lights up like it's trying out for the east Indian dope smoking team.

Which brings me to...

Today I spent 2 hours on a S1000RR thanks to Ride West BMW in Lake City.

I was impressed... it's a solid all around bike. Lots of quirks due to all the electronics and gizmos. I wasn't blown away like I thought I'd be. There is... power... serious power. Everyone should experience how the speedo climbs when you give it the beans in Race. You have to be going 100 MPH to get to feel any of the power though. Absolute go straight to jail bike.

The quick shift is fun, though sort of jumpy and a it was really difficult to trick the bike into going into neutral. Rain mode was hilariously soft... impressive really. Each mode you kick up the bike you can feel it get sharper and more dangerous. The anti-wheelie system is hilariously abrupt. It was my first time on a bike where I turned off traction control to really feel what the bike could do, ala a good sports car. That safety net is great to have but for the real poo poo eating grin you gotta turn that down (off).

Go take one out. I wont be buying one like I thought I someday might. Ultimately, I'm still not impressed by I4 engines. I hopped back on the SF and was so happy to have instant power all the time at any speed or gear.

Still, I'd pay a lot of good money to have a sunny day, a open track and a S1000RR for a few hours.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 6, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

S1000RR

That's not the best I4 to ride if you're wanting torque everywhere ;). poo poo, I wish I could have had two hours to test ride one. I got... 20 minutes, tops. I hear you about the powerband though. When I hopped back on my CBR it was like :drat:, midrange! The S1000RR has a SHITLOAD of power, but it's got a powerband like a 600. Kinda takes away the fun of a literbike. Agreed though, I would loving love to take one out on track. Although I don't really know what I'd do with all that power other than poo poo my pants, the CBR is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much already.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Replaced the lovely D&D exhaust on my CBR F2 with the stock exhaust. So much nicer, oh man. I no longer feel like an obnoxious rear end in a top hat and the motor no longer sounds like a riced-out fart cannon - instead it has a deep, smooth hum.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
People replacing aftermarket exhausts with the stockers and saying the sound is so much better are possibly my favorite part of CA.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I just had my first adventure in safety wiring. Apparently the rule is this: if you think you have enough wire, you're not even loving close :saddowns:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Man goddammit. I have to safety wire my Husky, add catch cans, and somehow stop an oil leak on an Italian bike just to get it on the track.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Phy posted:

People replacing aftermarket exhausts with the stockers and saying the sound is so much better are possibly my favorite part of CA.

I think it's a function of being a bolt-on accesssory, much like barefoot gas pedals, carbon fiber shift knobs, and anything containing the words "Live to Ride." Luckily this lesson usually only costs a bit of depreciation and a trip to the post office.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Gnaghi posted:

Man goddammit. I have to safety wire my Husky, add catch cans, and somehow stop an oil leak on an Italian bike just to get it on the track.

The classes I'm running in don't require it but I wanted to get it done anyway. I only did my oil fill cap and dipstick tonight and that was enough. I'm going to do an oil change after my trackday this coming monday, and will do the drain bolt and oil filter then. I'm not sure if I'm going to do the caliper bolts or not. Probably should but I am lazy :(.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've been riding around with my V&H system for about a month now and I'm planning on putting the stock one back on when I do my oil change in a few hundred miles.

I never had a loud bike before and thought it would be neat but goddamn, loud exhausts are annoying. Plus I really don't like having to wear earplugs just to run down the street to pick something up at the store. Not to mention I had to take my center stand off. I miss my center stand :(

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I have my loud Ducati and my KTM is sorta meidum with the stock pipe, but the VFR OMG so quiet, I'm in love.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The Jardine on the KLR was kinda fun since it made the bike actually sound like a motorcycle, but not having to keep all the way off the throttle and not having my ears ring even with plugs is nice. Now it sounds like the product of an old VW Bug having an affair with a lawn mower.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Met the stereotypical BMW owner last night, who was kind enough to let me sit on his nicely kitted out and fantastic conditioned K100RS: early 40s, modular helmet, older K-series with 160,000km on the clock, planning a trip out to the Maritimes for August... :) Great guy, really nice bike, though I wouldn't want to use it as a city bike. My heart still belongs to the R boxers :allears:

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 6, 2010

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Spiffness posted:

Today I spent 2 hours on a S1000RR thanks to Ride West BMW in Lake City.

I was impressed... it's a solid all around bike. Lots of quirks due to all the electronics and gizmos. I wasn't blown away like I thought I'd be. There is... power... serious power. Everyone should experience how the speedo climbs when you give it the beans in Race. You have to be going 100 MPH to get to feel any of the power though. Absolute go straight to jail bike.

The quick shift is fun, though sort of jumpy and a it was really difficult to trick the bike into going into neutral. Rain mode was hilariously soft... impressive really. Each mode you kick up the bike you can feel it get sharper and more dangerous. The anti-wheelie system is hilariously abrupt. It was my first time on a bike where I turned off traction control to really feel what the bike could do, ala a good sports car. That safety net is great to have but for the real poo poo eating grin you gotta turn that down (off).

Go take one out. I wont be buying one like I thought I someday might. Ultimately, I'm still not impressed by I4 engines. I hopped back on the SF and was so happy to have instant power all the time at any speed or gear.

Still, I'd pay a lot of good money to have a sunny day, a open track and a S1000RR for a few hours.
I'm thinking about getting a new bike this season or next. At the top of my list are the BMW S1000RR, Aprilia RSV4 Factory, Ducati 1198S Corse, and 2010 MV Agusta F4. Pretty much in that order. I think I'm going to try out the S1000RR at the track by taking the California Superbike School class when they come to Thunderbolt in August. Have you ridden either the Aprilia RSV4 or Duc 1098/1198 at all and could you provide a comparison to the S1000RR? I have enough MV seat time to know generally what to expect though the 2010 MV is very different in character then the pre-2010 ones.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 6, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Yuns posted:

I'm thinking about getting a new bike this season or next. At the top of my list are the BMW S1000RR, Aprilia RSV4 Factory, Ducati 1198S Corse, and 2010 MV Agusta F4. Pretty much in that order. I think I'm going to try out the S1000RR at the track by taking the California Superbike School class when they come to Thunderbolt in August. Have you ridden either the Aprilia RSV4 or Duc 1098/1198 at all and could you provide a comparison to the S1000RR? I have enough MV seat time to know generally what to expect though the 2010 MV is very different in character then the pre-2010 ones.

I should be able to help you on the 10/1198 at the end of the month :). There's a ducati demo day at a track pretty close to me, so I'll actually be able to try them in their natural environment. I can't loving wait.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yuns posted:

Wow, you have a lot of awesome choices ahead of you. I'd encourage you, just to be that extra bit of cool, check out the KTM RC8 as well.

I've ridden the 1198, 848, 1198S, two different setup streetfighters (1098 engines), R1's, GSXR1k's, all the 600's really, Daytona 675... etc. Never ridden a V4... just no opportunity.

I used to be totally gay for the MV F4, but now I don't see the point. The S1000RR is undoubtedly the better bike, so I'd cross that one off your list unless your willing to pay the cool premium. If you are, good for you, I'm sure you'll enjoy the hell out of it. I've sat on one for a while, it's probably the most aggressive bike you can buy seating position wise. I couldn't imagine it being any kind of comfortable.

I haven't ridden the RSV4 though I really want to. If I was shopping S1000RR vs Duc, I would absolutely ride an RSV4 before I made my final decision.

Basically with the xx98's from Ducati you get instant on power, hilarious amounts of torque, very high build quality, basic traction control system (S models), AMAZING brakes and suspension, no ABS and a whole slather of super cool. Dry clutches, single sided swing arms, and absolutely gorgeous bikes.

(Comparing against Ducati twins...)The S1000RR feels like... an I4. A very GOOD I4, but you still have to be in the power band before it starts to feel fast... and the power band doesn't start until you are going about 100 MPH. So around town, and most of the time you are not absolutely destroying the speed limit, it feels very slow compared to a Duc which has instant power and torque to play with. I was cracking the throttle open in Race mode with the TC and ABS off all over town expecting the front wheel to just fly into the air and it never did; soon as I hopped back on the SF and tried that same behavior I was riding my unicycle again.

Try one out. The electronic package is fantastic and I have do doubt that if I were going to spend a lot of time on a track, that would tilt the bike in my favor a lot... it would be a monster on the track. That superbike class will blow your mind I'm sure. On the street though, it felt... a lot like everything else. Nicer, more beast under your seat... but it's snoozing most of the time, rather than always ready to pounce. For me that's the difference in riding style that loses some points.

Also, you listed Ducs and Aprilias and Agustas, so I feel like it's fair to say... it doesn't feel that special riding a S1000RR like I'm sort of used to. The Italian bikes have a style, sound and rarity that people notice and ask you about. The BMW sort of blends in with the other sport bikes. It's fun to stick out, it's why Lamborghini's are bright green.

and so concludes probably the gayest paragraph I've ever typed.

Edit: if that wasn't long enough, feel free to PM me or hit me up on chat... I can talk all day about this stuff. Had a lot of Ducati seat time and feel like I have a good idea about the S1000RR, I could write a short book. I was very obsessed with it and very eager to ride so I made sure to test everything and absorb every detail I could, because I was so excited to ride one.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Thanks for the detailed write up. As an MV owner, I'd like to get another MV like the 2010 F4 but MV has decided to make the seats comically high (almost an inch taller than any other sportbike and close to non-adventure GS height and almost 2.5 inches taller than my MV). With my short inseam it's going to be annoying in parking lots. I love the MV chassis. It's just so unflappable even trail braking hard into a corner. But as you note, the BMW is the be all end all this year.

I just signed up for California Superbike School in August at Thunderbolt using their S1000RR so I should have track time on one this summer. And Ducati 2010 Summer Tour is coming to New Jersey in early September so I'll try to demo a 1198S then. I wasn't even considering the Duc until a saw a 1198S Corse in person at the dealership last weekend. Holy crap is the Corse gorgeous in person. Aprilia is also having demos during their Ride like A Champion event http://www.apriliausa.com/en-US/News/56208/ridelikeachamp.aspx at their dealerships, I'll try the June 1-14 dates at Motofit in Danbury or June 21-July 5 at New Haven Suzuki.

To be honest, I don't need a new bike but I just want one.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Which MV do you have?

I want to try a Brutale 1078 so badly...

And the Corse is just absurdly good looking. Though I still prefer the previous 1098S Tricolore's for paint. Just astoundingly pretty.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

2000 MV Agusta F4S (750cc) that I bought new a decade ago. It still looks amazing and even though it's down on power a bit (126 hp at crank/112 or so at rear wheel) it's still amazingly fun to ride.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's a classic bike for sure. I'm also dying to ride both the S1000RR and the RSV...

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Bungee cords loving suck. :mad: My lunch bag slid out from under the bungee cord while making a turn and magicked my pretzels and pack of crackers into dust. :mad: At least it fell off on a quiet side street and not on the highway or something. Also nice is that nothing became entangled, sending me to my doom.

In other news, my new Sport Demons are so much better than the IRC whatever the fucks that came on my Ninja 250. It's pretty cool to flop the bike over on its side and have it just stick instead of sliding everywhere. No chicken strips on the Sport Demons after my very first ride without really trying as compared to the IRCs which I could not get over on the last 1/4" no matter how hard I pushed. The IRCs would just slide all over the place once they got leaned in on.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Ratchet straps rule; bungee cords drool.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Try a bungie net instead.

edit: goddamn it

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 8, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

blugu64 posted:

Try a bulge net instead.

I can't say I recommend searching for bulge net on google and clicking the first result. Did you mean something else here or are you asking me out on a date?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think he meant "bungee net".

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

I think he meant "bungee net".

All of the nets I've seen have like 6 hooks and poo poo, but I only have one tie down on each side. It seems like it would just flop around a bunch with all of the hooks connected to just one tie down per side.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
You can use your passenger pegs as an easy mounting point for bungees.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

frozenphil posted:

All of the nets I've seen have like 6 hooks and poo poo, but I only have one tie down on each side. It seems like it would just flop around a bunch with all of the hooks connected to just one tie down per side.

You can hook those to any hard point on the side of the bike you know. Also since you commute on the bike, I'd look into getting a locking trunk so you don't have to mess with bungess at all.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Got my massive stack of registration documents in the mail today and found one extra where there shouldnt have been.

Looks like the guy who bought my ZX600 last year never registered it. Any suggestions on what to do?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dietcokefiend posted:

Got my massive stack of registration documents in the mail today and found one extra where there shouldnt have been.

Looks like the guy who bought my ZX600 last year never registered it. Any suggestions on what to do?

Do you guys have a release of liability type setup?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

One time I shoved an order of Korean fried chicken under a bungee net on my SV. It was pretty rad.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

redscare posted:

You can hook those to any hard point on the side of the bike you know. Also since you commute on the bike, I'd look into getting a locking trunk so you don't have to mess with bungess at all.

There's nothing else to attach the hooks to except the license plate frame and passenger footpegs. If I attach it to the license plate frame it will obscure the plate, brake light, and turn signals. If I attach it to the passenger footpegs there is a good chance it it contact the exhaust and melt.

I think I'm just going to get a tank bag. Tail bags look really gay by themselves and let's face it, motorcycles are primarily about looking cool. :cool:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

frozenphil posted:

Tail bags look really gay by themselves

:colbert:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally re-watching "Long Way Round." I remember seeing the first 2 or 3 when it came out, but for whatever reason I never saw the whole thing. The Mongolia/Sibera poo poo was just bonkers.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Countdown until someone calls it out on not being a real adventure.

(I don't think it was :colbert: )

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

frozenphil posted:

I think I'm just going to get a tank bag. Tail bags look really gay by themselves and let's face it, motorcycles are primarily about looking cool. :cool:

Those work well too, and the magnetic ones are awesome, but they will scratch your paint eventually. Buy a pair of saddle bags and enjoy having a shitton of space.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

frozenphil posted:

If I could have one form of baggage that'd stay on my bike all the time it'd be a tailbag that didn't look rediculous. My tank bag is annoying to remove when I gas up, and not only that, it scratches the hell out of the tank.

A tailbag would be brilliant.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

AncientTV posted:

I don't think your assessment is either correct or relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

AncientTV posted:

A real adventure with real men would be using real bikes. Such as Gixxer 1Ks.