Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

kylej posted:

Bought a GoPro.

I'm excited as hell to try it out.

Did you get the $230 deal? Was so mad when I found them for that price after dumping $300 on mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

kylej posted:

Bought a GoPro.

I'm excited as hell to try it out.

I used a go pro for a few months and loved the crap out of it.

But I started using ContourHD and it is so much better for daily commuting.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
So I put new spark plugs in today, and already the idle has improved (it was pulsing/rough before).

Question for those of you with dual disc front brakes:

When you bleed your brake fluid to replace it, do you bleed through both calipers? That is, do you attach one bleed hose per caliper, or do you do it all through just one of the two calipers?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

benwards posted:

So I put new spark plugs in today, and already the idle has improved (it was pulsing/rough before).

Question for those of you with dual disc front brakes:

When you bleed your brake fluid to replace it, do you bleed through both calipers? That is, do you attach one bleed hose per caliper, or do you do it all through just one of the two calipers?

I do both. Depending on your hose routing, you might be able to get away with only doing one, but I'd do both anyways.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

Z3n posted:

I do both. Depending on your hose routing, you might be able to get away with only doing one, but I'd do both anyways.

So when it comes to the whole "squeeze, loosen, tighten, release, repeat" routine, should I be squeezing and then loosening both, then tightening both, then releasing? Or do one side per squeeze?

I wish my manual covered this in a more comprehensive fashion. It says something to the effect of "bleed the brakes in the usual manner :colbert:."

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

benwards posted:

So when it comes to the whole "squeeze, loosen, tighten, release, repeat" routine, should I be squeezing and then loosening both, then tightening both, then releasing? Or do one side per squeeze?

I wish my manual covered this in a more comprehensive fashion. It says something to the effect of "bleed the brakes in the usual manner :colbert:."

Do one side, then do the other.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Finished replacing the fork seals on the Seca. It felt great as I headed towards the freeway to go into work. Halfway up the on-ramp, I went to upshift and the clutch cable snapped. Or maybe the head pulled off; something like that anyway.

gently caress.

I backed down the ramp on the shoulder, pushed it past the cop directing traffic, made my way through the road construction and finally stashed it on a side street. Now it turns out that no one has the cable in stock locally and it has to be ordered.

gently caress.

A 5 minute repair and I can't get it done until like next Wednesday.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

schreibs posted:

Did you get the $230 deal? Was so mad when I found them for that price after dumping $300 on mine.

Yeah, and I had Amazon credit from trading in textbooks so it only cost me $130. I'm getting Darude's Sandstorm along with Muse and Radiohead's discography ready for my sick cyclin vidz

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

kylej posted:

Yeah, and I had Amazon credit from trading in textbooks so it only cost me $130. I'm getting Darude's Sandstorm along with Muse and Radiohead's discography ready for my sick cyclin vidz

Moving Mountains by Two Steps from Hell. The ultimate " poo poo going down on a motorbike" soundtrack.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
Today I was looking at ordering a new gear reduction starter that weighs half as much as the stock one with half the draw, a new upgraded diode board with massive heat sync and hard mounts, and a new 450 watt alternator for my new BMW R100GS. All told I was looking at almost $1000.

Just for shits and grins I decided to see what condition the old electric parts were in so I took the bike apart a little bit and I found a new gear reduction starter that weighs half as much as the stock one with half the draw, a new upgraded diode board with massive heat sync and hard mounts, and a new 450 watt alternator already in place. I already got a great loving deal on my bike, but finding out it had a grand worth of electrical upgrades just made my day. :woop: :woop: Now I can start designing my light rack to mount driving lights.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

kylej posted:

If you can find it, Dhol Dogs by Afro Celt Sound System is another amazing riding tune. I'm trying to get enough footage of myself riding to fit all the different parts of the song.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was kidding about those music choices ;)

I like hearing the bike when people record themselves. Maybe I'll put a video up with some obscure g-rap just to gently caress with people.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I dunno, this looks pretty awesome and it has Sandstorm in it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spt0JVUTqGc

Unfortunately my camera vibrates too much on my current mount, but it takes amazing sound. Also unfortunately mounting it up front only captures the sound of the front tire whining on the road. My other camera takes great on board video but all I get is wind noise.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Installed my pipe. I loves it! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDYpPLmUf88

Also visible in this vid are the rim stickers I put on a few weeks back.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Here4DaGangBang posted:

So awesome. I would totally have bought one of these over my Ninja 250 if we got them in the US.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

That exhaust note is amazing.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
For some reason my brake light wasn't working so I hosed around with wires until it started working again. I hope it hasn't been like that for too long...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Came to appreciate the L twin Ducati power band again...

Then finally installed front turn signals after the PO decided to snip and destroy them, then replaced the clutch springs with fancy stainless ones that wont rust in the open cover. Poser status = Getting there.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Replaced the tires on my Firebolt with a set of slightly used Corsa IIIs. I learned that the ZTL brake makes getting the front wheel on and off a little tricky, so I changed the pads while I had it off.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Mounted the saddle bags and tail bag on the R6 for the trip to Tennesee. Watching the weather channel and crossing my fingers that the weather will be perfect on Wednesday when I finally launch.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Honda made a mistake on the design of the boot they put on their shift lever for the 07+ CBR600RR :( I have now lost my second one, after it lasted about a year before working its way off at some point. It's a pretty shallow ridge holding it on, and over time the end just seems to soften up/stretch/something enough where it can slide over it easy and work its way off if you don't keep an eye on it. I even tried to gorilla glue this one on when it started to do this about a month ago but still lost it the other day. Maybe I should do that after the first install with the next one.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Electrical tape the bitch, wrap it around the lever and everything.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Haha yeah I guess that would be an option

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
'06 Sporty

- Rode 40 miles to get a rear tire installed. Weirdly enough, a podunk Kaw dealership had the OE Dunlop in stock and was willing to do the work on a Saturday. Splendid job by Team Green, and a fine example of moto agnosticism. The old unit, while not treadless, was apparently responsible for the bike's interesting highway behavior of late.

- Removed the passenger pegs because, honestly, who's kidding who here? A recent conversion to mids makes foot planting a challenge when they're in use anyway.

'83 Nighthawk 750

- Dusted it off, defibrillated it, and then red-lined the Seafoam out of it. Or the Stabil. Or whatever the hell I put in there before the last ice age arrived. I'm restoring it at the rate of one subsystem per summer, so it ought to be done by 2066. Soichiro-san would be so proud.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Marv Hushman posted:

'06 Sporty

- Rode 40 miles to get a rear tire installed. Weirdly enough, a podunk Kaw dealership had the OE Dunlop in stock and was willing to do the work on a Saturday. Splendid job by Team Green, and a fine example of moto agnosticism. The old unit, while not treadless, was apparently responsible for the bike's interesting highway behavior of late.

- Removed the passenger pegs because, honestly, who's kidding who here? A recent conversion to mids makes foot planting a challenge when they're in use anyway.

'83 Nighthawk 750

- Dusted it off, defibrillated it, and then red-lined the Seafoam out of it. Or the Stabil. Or whatever the hell I put in there before the last ice age arrived. I'm restoring it at the rate of one subsystem per summer, so it ought to be done by 2066. Soichiro-san would be so proud.

I hear the charging systems are super iffy on those things (Night Hawks) You may need to replace every component and the battery twice. ;)

Crayvex fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 7, 2010

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Crayvex posted:

I hear the charging systems are super iffy on those things (Night Hawks) You may need to replace every component and the battery twice. ;)

Luckily, I found a wealth of charging system t-shooting advice on the R6 forums ;) Actually, it's sort of an interesting question--what was the last UJM street bike with a kicker? Yamaha's SRX mebbe?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

BTDT with my 650; took me 2 days to figure out. Hang tight and I'll get back to you.

(Alternative: score some GSX750 carbs and throw those vacuum-piston motherfuckers away.)

E: Here ya go; lemme know if you need any other shots :)

Click here for the full 2034x1356 image.

Click here for the full 2034x1356 image.

Not quite good enough for my dumb rear end. Here's some better pics:

Everything:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

These probably need to go back in:

Business end 1:

Business end 2:

Also if I decide to buy another set of carbs are there any to keep an eye out for? I saw a set of Nighthawk carbs on eBay, but they're off a '93, so I don't know if they'll fit my '82.

OdinAllfather
Mar 24, 2008

MY FURSONA IS SQUISHFACED
Got off my hind-quarters and finally replaced the broken brake lever.
Also, spent an hour trying to replace the brake pads, (after cleaning the poo poo out of them), before I broke down and phoned a mechanically inclined friend begging for help.
Together we managed to push the cylinders down and get the pads installed.
Even in the rain, and without the pads being broken in, the bike stops way more easily than before.
Thanks, Old Balls McGee! :hfive:

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
My friend and I test rode a BMW S1000RR on Saturday -- sales guy surprisingly offered. First time on a liter bike, so I don't have a frame of reference, but the low-end was really tame/smooth and not at all twitchy as I imagined it to be. Throttle-on upshifts made it feel like a paddle-shifting videogame and quickly reminded me of how much I want to be on the track. But as boring/restrictive street riding often is, it still put a stupid poo poo-eating grin on my face for the whole day.

I actually love how quiet the stock exhaust sounds (surprising to read it dynos at 183hp). The stock pegs seem much lower than the RRs I've sat on. Playing with the HUD is pretty fun. Shift lever was kinda soft and mushy from what I was used to--kept hitting neutral blipping down to stoplights.

In hindsight, really wish we took it to an empty parking lot to test braking with the ABS/DTC set to the conservative 'rain' mode (4 presets: rain, sport, race, slick).

It can be yours for the low low price of $17,000.

God I wish I weren't broke.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
'83 N'Hawk:

- Ran it all over town and pretended it didn't have a history of being a battery muncher. Got reacquainted with the switchology.

- Dug it--except for Honda's Slop-O-Matic shifter and a clutch handle with far too much vertical play in the perch. Has to be missing a spacer or grommet; it could not have left Japan in this state.

- Legalized it.

- Noticed that Bridgestone's rotational direction arrow is pointed the wrong way on the front tire. Nice! A pair of opinions here:

http://www.ducatidesmosedicirr.net/forums/showthread.php?p=161111

- Got a wild hair and a few omens that have me leaning toward using it for an upcoming road trip. Since there'll be another Nighthawk involved, I need to get a shot of the two of them in front of a diner. I realize this is only slightly more clever than a Hell, Michigan joke.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Marv Hushman posted:

'83 N'Hawk:

- Ran it all over town and pretended it didn't have a history of being a battery muncher. Got reacquainted with the switchology.

- Dug it--except for Honda's Slop-O-Matic shifter and a clutch handle with far too much vertical play in the perch. Has to be missing a spacer or grommet; it could not have left Japan in this state.

- Legalized it.

- Noticed that Bridgestone's rotational direction arrow is pointed the wrong way on the front tire. Nice! A pair of opinions here:

http://www.ducatidesmosedicirr.net/forums/showthread.php?p=161111

- Got a wild hair and a few omens that have me leaning toward using it for an upcoming road trip. Since there'll be another Nighthawk involved, I need to get a shot of the two of them in front of a diner. I realize this is only slightly more clever than a Hell, Michigan joke.

I'd flip it. Some tires are zero belt construction and can be run either way, the dunlop ntecs come to mind, but most are directional, especially non-track tires with tread.

Also your bike was probably dropped at some point and the clutch perch bent, causing vertical play in the lever. :)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Z3n posted:

I'd flip it. Some tires are zero belt construction and can be run either way, the dunlop ntecs come to mind, but most are directional, especially non-track tires with tread.

Also your bike was probably dropped at some point and the clutch perch bent, causing vertical play in the lever. :)

Thanks! Will do.

There was overwhelming evidence (and PO confession) of a low speed drop on the right side, which I've mostly fixed. I've concluded that just about every 82/83 went down on the right at least once, based on a loooong search for a stator cover that wasn't bashed to hell. You may be right, I'll have a look. May also be an ill-fitting aftermarket replacement.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Gr3y posted:

Not quite good enough for my dumb rear end.

Welp.

Let me compare/contrast your pics to the rack I've got and I'll try to hash out a coherent explanation of where/how everything goes.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

lokigoesrawr posted:

My friend and I test rode a BMW S1000RR on Saturday -- sales guy surprisingly offered. First time on a liter bike, so I don't have a frame of reference, but the low-end was really tame/smooth and not at all twitchy as I imagined it to be. Throttle-on upshifts made it feel like a paddle-shifting videogame and quickly reminded me of how much I want to be on the track. But as boring/restrictive street riding often is, it still put a stupid poo poo-eating grin on my face for the whole day.
My cousin bought one a few weeks ago. His last bike was a Daytona 955 and according to him the Bimmer is a snarling beast in comparison. He was still in break in (the engine won't redline until the odometer reads 600) but he's been impressed as hell so far. He digs the ABS, but even pushing it he can't get the TCS to kick on.

Bucephalus posted:

Welp.

Let me compare/contrast your pics to the rack I've got and I'll try to hash out a coherent explanation of where/how everything goes.
I'd appreciate it. I'm about this close to just walking the whole thing into a shop and asking them to show me how it's done.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Missed this the first time around:

Gr3y posted:

Also if I decide to buy another set of carbs are there any to keep an eye out for? I saw a set of Nighthawk carbs on eBay, but they're off a '93, so I don't know if they'll fit my '82.

According to the gang at CB1100F.net, Suzuki GSX-R750 carbs mount right up using (2) #1 and (2) #4 CB750 boots, and require minimal tuning.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

Missed this the first time around:

According to the gang at CB1100F.net, Suzuki GSX-R750 carbs mount right up using (2) #1 and (2) #4 CB750 boots, and require minimal tuning.

And this will go onto the Nighthawk? Mine is an '82 CB750SC. As far as I can tell it has the same DOHC mill as the post '81 bikes (I think the motors were all the same, they just had different tunes?).

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yep, '79-'82s were all 748cc DOHC. The stock airbox won't fit, but there are purportedly no issues with running pods. :can:

Working on your carb linkage, see some problems. :ohdear: There should be an aluminum fuel feed tube and a plastic tee that aren't isn't in your pics.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 9, 2010

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

The only plastic T thing that was on the bike that plugs into the carb is right there. However it looks like it plugs in routes into the oil tank and/or the airbox.

The fuel feed was just a hose+filter from the tank (pictured).

Edit: Nope. The t-section is that big brass thing:

Click here for the full 893x453 image.

Gr3y fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 9, 2010

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Nope, looking for this little dude:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Check the diagram I posted above. I'm pretty sure that's the big brass tube thing on my carbs.

Are the ones you're refrencing the same keihins that are on my bike?