Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

bad movie knight posted:

My local Wal-Mart has Interview with the Vampire, a Total Recall/Universal Soldier bundle, Orphan, Event Horizon, The Relic, The Arrival, 1408 and a bunch of other crowd-pleasers for $15 or less.

If you live near a Super-Walmart, you should jump on this. I have a feeling these are pretty good prices (especially for some of the 2009 movies).

I've recently seen quite a few double packs of blu-rays for twenty bucks. There's some pretty good sets, but I can't remember any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Joe Don Baker posted:

I've recently seen quite a few double packs of blu-rays for twenty bucks. There's some pretty good sets, but I can't remember any.
Terminator/Predator was one I've been considering.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Looks like Fox took a minor dump on The Illusionist which is due this coming Tuesday. It's a barebones BD-25 - there are special features, but only on the included DVD copy of the movie. There are also no subtitles on the Blu-Ray :confused:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone over at CriterionForum is claiming they're going to release something called The New Hollywood Box Set on Blu-Ray in November that will consist of the following films:

Five Easy Pieces
The Last Picture Show
Easy Rider
Head
King of Marvin Gardens
A Safe Place
Drive, He Said

This is totally unverified, but would be pretty amazing if true.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Wait, Head? Jack Nicholson's / The Monkees' Head? I would looooooooooove this if true.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Close Up looks even better. http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/close-up_blu-ray.htm

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

Someone over at CriterionForum is claiming they're going to release something called The New Hollywood Box Set on Blu-Ray in November that will consist of the following films:

Five Easy Pieces
The Last Picture Show
Easy Rider
Head
King of Marvin Gardens
A Safe Place
Drive, He Said

This is totally unverified, but would be pretty amazing if true.

I find that pretty hard to believe since Sony already released Easy Rider on Blu. It doesn't make much sense for them to license it out and cut the legs out from their own release.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

bad movie knight posted:

Terminator/Predator was one I've been considering.

For what it's worth, a remastered version of Predator with special features included is coming June 29th, and Lowry has already done a ton of work on The Terminator for an eventual Blu-ray re-release.

Not that there's anything wrong with the two existing releases, they look fine considering the documented cheapness of the two productions. Just a heads up though.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sporadic posted:

I find that pretty hard to believe since Sony already released Easy Rider on Blu. It doesn't make much sense for them to license it out and cut the legs out from their own release.

If it were only available through Criterion as part of a box set then I doubt it would undercut Sony's sales by any significant measure.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

I said come in! posted:

How is the blu-ray for the Directors Cut of Kingdom of Heaven?

It looks and sounds amazing and has been one of my show case movies to show friends for a while now. Only down side like the Doc said is a lack of any extras. Plus its the directors cut.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

My first time importing a Blu-Ray, I got Inside from Sweden (no subtitles, but there isn't much dialogue anyway and I already know what's being said). However, it clocks in at 78 minutes, which is neither IDMb's listed runtime of 83 minutes for the uncut version nor 75 minutes for the censored Blockbuster version. Reading around online a little bit, I have a feeling this 83-minute film in NTSC runs 78 minutes in PAL. Is this possible? Forum members swear this version of Inside isn't edited at all, but I have my doubts.

Then again, I'm new to NTSC/PAL discrepancies. One thing I've noticed, compared to the American DVD I originally watched, the film looks more fluid as if there's a higher framerate at play.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 6, 2010

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

It sounds like you got a disc that's encoded at 1080i50 (25fps as opposed to the normal 24). So it likely is indeed the censored version, and the 25fps speedup is accounting for that extra 3 minutes.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Bambi posted:

It sounds like you got a disc that's encoded at 1080i50 (25fps as opposed to the normal 24). So it likely is indeed the censored version, and the 25fps speedup is accounting for that extra 3 minutes.
:argh:

The people on the other forum say it's not the censored version, but my first real inkling that something was off was when the fetus comes out of her mouth. It seemed shorter than I remember.

On the other hand, the initial car accident -- which I thought was trimmed down for the Blockbuster version -- is there in its entirety, from what I remember.

It's a mystery.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 6, 2010

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Darth Freddy posted:

It looks and sounds amazing and has been one of my show case movies to show friends for a while now. Only down side like the Doc said is a lack of any extras. Plus its the directors cut.

Except the Director's Cut for Kingdom of Heaven is great.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

bad movie knight posted:

:argh:

The people on the other forum say it's not the censored version, but my first real inkling that something was off was when the fetus comes out of her mouth. It seemed shorter than I remember.

On the other hand, the initial car accident -- which I thought was trimmed down for the Blockbuster version -- is there in its entirety, from what I remember.

It's a mystery.

It's probably just PAL speedup, it takes 4% off the running time of a film. which would be about 3 minutes on an 83 minutes movie. Any other difference is like just because of approximation of running times; Wiki lists the film as being 82 minutes anyway, your box may just be rounding down or whatever.

Sucks that they're still encoding things at 25fps though, I don't understand the point of that since HDTVs can handle 24fps no problem.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bambi posted:

That doesn't make any sense. 25fps would shave minutes off the runtime, not add them. So in fact it's probably the full cut of the film.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
Amazon just lowered Zombieland to $16.49 and Moon to $16.99 to compete with Best Buy's weekly ad.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

doctor thodt posted:

That doesn't make any sense. 25fps would shave minutes off the runtime, not add them. So in fact it's probably the full cut of the film.

bmk posted:

However, it clocks in at 78 minutes, which is neither IDMb's listed runtime of 83 minutes for the uncut version nor 75 minutes for the censored Blockbuster version. Reading around online a little bit, I have a feeling this 83-minute film in NTSC runs 78 minutes in PAL.

Not ideal phrasing on Bambi's part, but he was referring to it taking 3 minutes away from the runtime in the version bad movie knight ended up with.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Topper Harley posted:

Amazon just lowered Zombieland to $16.49 and Moon to $16.99 to compete with Best Buy's weekly ad.

I thought Best Buy was $14.99 for each

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Darth Freddy posted:

You and Doctor Thodt were right about this. I watched it last night, loving incredible picture quality. You could literally see every single little detail on absolutely everything.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

For some reason, I was under the impression that PAL/NTSC no longer mattered for Blu-Ray and HD displays because they adhere to a different format altogether. Guess I was confused on this point.

I wonder if I got some weird Swedish cut of the film that abridges certain scenes while keeping others intact, although I can't find any listed alternate versions or runtimes for countries other than the U.S.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

ControlledBurn posted:

Except the Director's Cut for Kingdom of Heaven is great.

Sorry thats what I was aiming to say. I was honestly surprised as hell first time I saw it. I was expecting a little extra scene here and there not this huge amount of detail that was cut out from the theatrical.

I said come in! posted:

You and Doctor Thodt were right about this. I watched it last night, loving incredible picture quality. You could literally see every single little detail on absolutely everything.

Glad you enjoyed it. Thread is going to make me rewatch it tonight after work. Sorry wolfman you will have to wait!

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Darth Freddy posted:

Glad you enjoyed it. Thread is going to make me rewatch it tonight after work. Sorry wolfman you will have to wait!
Don't sell The Wolfman short. That Blu-Ray is also one of the best around, capturing every Gothic detail of a northern (ALL APOLOGIES TO PROFESSORCLUMSY!) provincial estate in the 19th century. I've watched it at least twice since nabbing it, each time impressed with how atmospheric the movie is and how well the Blu-Ray captures it. Also, the beautiful use of grain contributes to said atmosphere.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 6, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agreed posted:

Not ideal phrasing on Bambi's part, but he was referring to it taking 3 minutes away from the runtime in the version bad movie knight ended up with.

But the version BMK got is 3 minutes longer than the censored version :confused:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

But the version BMK got is 3 minutes longer than the censored version :confused:

He's thinking that the 83 minute version NTSC ends up being 78 minutes PAL. I'm not sure if he's right, just trying to help clarify what they said.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Agreed posted:

He's thinking that the 83 minute version NTSC ends up being 78 minutes PAL. I'm not sure if he's right, just trying to help clarify what they said.

No, that's not what I said. Doctor thodt is right. I was confused, and wrong.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

bad movie knight posted:

Don't sell The Wolfman short. That Blu-Ray is also one of the best around, capturing every Gothic detail of a northern (ALL APOLOGIES TO PROFESSORCLUMSY!) provincial estate in the 19th century. I've watched it at least twice since nabbing it, each time impressed with how atmospheric the movie is and how well the Blu-Ray captures it. Also, the beautiful use of grain contributes to said atmosphere.

I just picked it up last night and it was a great watch. I thought the extended cut really did a lot of justice to the storyline. The atmosphere of the movie is fantastic. The gore is much more extensive which works well given how quick the kill shots were in the theatrical release.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
drat you Best Buy and your cheap Blu-Ray prices! I went in just to get Moon, and ended up grabbing Moon and Ronin for 14.99 each and Fargo for 12.99.

From what I've read, Ronin isn't the best transfer, but it was cheap and I really doubt MGM is going to go back and do another transfer for what's essentially a not so well known movie for them. Plus it is a BluRay/DVD combo pack.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
My BB didn't even have Moon :ughh:

They had Boogie Nights for $15 though so it wasn't a fruitless trip

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Bambi posted:

No, that's not what I said. Doctor thodt is right. I was confused, and wrong.

I didn't say that's what you said, I said that's what bad movie knight said. I guess that's my own lack of clarity since I did say "what they said." Sorry.

Edit: Re-reading my post, no, I see that I did say that's what you said. So I wasn't even clear about what I was wrong about. :downs:

bad movie knight posted:

However, it clocks in at 78 minutes, which is neither IDMb's listed runtime of 83 minutes for the uncut version nor 75 minutes for the censored Blockbuster version. Reading around online a little bit, I have a feeling this 83-minute film in NTSC runs 78 minutes in PAL.

Anyway - bolded the important part. Would the difference between 24p and 25p turn 83 minutes into 78 minutes? There aren't any other cuts than the two IMDB lists, right?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 7, 2010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Captain Charisma posted:

My BB didn't even have Moon :ughh:

Didn't Moon get an infamously itty-bitty BR release?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yep. The three or four times I had been there since its release date, they had 2 copies.

Good thing there's 8 copies of the Sci-Fi Original Movie Merlin, though!!!

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

No, pretty close to the same as the rest of Sony Picture Classics.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I remember there being a fuss about it. Maybe because Moon is a goon favorite.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, it was natural that goons would eat that movie up. We basically made up most of the movies profits. :p

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I drove an extra 15 minutes to go to the Best Buy in hicktown, under the assumption that nobody there would know or want Moon.

I was correct.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

sportsgenius86 posted:

I drove an extra 15 minutes to go to the Best Buy in hicktown, under the assumption that nobody there would know or want Moon.

I was correct.

Same here. :hfive:

This was on release date, though. The other copy still lives there.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't know why people expected Moon to get a sizable release. It's an SPC title and it did normal SPC box office. It's a really good movie but that doesn't matter when you are a small part of a larger company.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Lucas posted:

I don't know why people expected Moon to get a sizable release. It's an SPC title and it did normal SPC box office. It's a really good movie but that doesn't matter when you are a small part of a larger company.

It was just kind of in the middle of Sony outright ignoring the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

It was just kind of in the middle of Sony outright ignoring the movie

How was it ignored? Besides the fact that they didn't promote the Rockwell for Best Actor thing they promoted it as much as their other films, if not more so.

• Locked thread