Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

FitFortDanga posted:

FYI, "2000 Seen By" isn't part of the title, it's just The Hole. "2000 Seen By" is a collection of 10 films, each by a different director from a different country, each containing the moment we switched from 1999 to 2000.

Thank god, I hated telling people about it because the title was so awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I watched Legion last night, and I am confused. Though from the general reaction to the film, I'm not alone. It really feels like "some reason" what written into the script. There's never explanation why the baby is special, or why God wants to kill everyone. Seriously, the trailer gave you pretty much all the plot that there was.

I have to admit though, it's got a solid cast, and I really want to see Paul Bettany and Kevin Durand be in more movies. Some of the action is pretty stylish, but drat, the plot makes no sense, or did I miss something?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

So I watched Legion last night, and I am confused. Though from the general reaction to the film, I'm not alone. It really feels like "some reason" what written into the script. There's never explanation why the baby is special, or why God wants to kill everyone. Seriously, the trailer gave you pretty much all the plot that there was.

I have to admit though, it's got a solid cast, and I really want to see Paul Bettany and Kevin Durand be in more movies. Some of the action is pretty stylish, but drat, the plot makes no sense, or did I miss something?

What I intuited was that the events are supposed to be the end times so the rapture has happened. But for some reason the baby is going to provide some hope for the people left behind or something. Of course the interesting idea would be that the angels are all doing the right thing and the baby is some kind of antichrist or something and the angel who comes down is basically engineering a hell on earth but who knows if that was their plan. Even badly performing movies get DTV sequels these days it seems so maybe we'll find out.

Bear in mind, all the above is not stated in the movie at all. Just conjecture I have.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is there a movie where a man has a father who is a firefighter who steals stuff from burning houses while he is putting out fires/saving cats/etc.? I seem to remember a scene with the firefighter father asking the son something like "Son, why do you think they make the pockets of our suits so big?"

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
Isn't that an episode from "The Simpsons"?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is it? I'm a giant Simpsons fanatic so it could possibly be, but it doesn't ring a bell on any episode. I could swear it was an actual live-action movie.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
Well, I don't know, you could be thinking of a movie, but there is definitely an episode of "The Simpsons" that involves Homer and friends stealing from the fire victims:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crook_and_Ladder

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Does anyone know of recent films (2000-2010) that, for a stylistic reason, were shot in 4:3 or 1.37:1, other than Elephant and Fish Tank?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

codyclarke posted:

Does anyone know of recent films (2000-2010) that, for a stylistic reason, were shot in 4:3 or 1.37:1, other than Elephant and Fish Tank?

Van Sant's Paranoid Park

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

The Lucas posted:

Van Sant's Paranoid Park

I was watching that on TV a few days ago and was wondering why it look stretched out, even though it was an HD channel. Mystery solved.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cheerfullydrab posted:

Is it? I'm a giant Simpsons fanatic so it could possibly be, but it doesn't ring a bell on any episode. I could swear it was an actual live-action movie.

An episode of Rescue Me, then?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

In E.T., right before Michael finally meets the alien, he's singing some song to himself... what the hell is it? The only lyrics I could make out are "There are so many people to meet, so many people you can call upon and add to your collection."

Video for reference (go to around 4:20)

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=aQkrw87vd2c&feature=related

Also, why isn't there an E.T. appreciation thread?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 6, 2010

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

In E.T., right before Michael finally meets the alien, he's singing some song to himself... what the hell is it? The only lyrics I could make out are "There are so many people to meet, so many people you can call upon and add to your collection."

Video for reference (go to around 4:20)

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=aQkrw87vd2c&feature=related

Also, why isn't there an E.T. appreciation thread?
"Accidents Will Happen" by Elvis Costello :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

"Accidents Will Happen" by Elvis Costello :)

My god... thank you so much!

I still don't know why Michael goes in to saying "Nothing but hell shits". At least that's what it sounds like.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finally got around to watching The Road and was wondering is there supposed to be a reason that Guy Pierce and the dude who stole their cart both didn't have thumbs?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
In the book, the man thinks they were punished for theft by having their thumbs cut off and exiled. It is never confirmed.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

In Boogie Nights and other movies, what are they using for fake cocaine?

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 7, 2010

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

should I watch Alien 3, Resurrection, AVP 1 & 2? I really, really liked Alien + Aliens, but I'm kind of getting mixed signals from the net.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

bad movie knight posted:

In Boogie Nights and other movies, what are they using for fake cocaine?

Baby Laxatives or Vitamin C.

And yes, the baby laxities have the same effect when you rail it.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

NeuroticErotica posted:

And yes, the baby laxities have the same effect when you rail it.
Man, Heather Graham and Julianne Moore must've had one bad case of the shits. They do a lot of loving fake coke in that scene.

On a related note, something I've always wondered: Do they ever use real drugs in the filming of a movie? You know how sometimes (very rarely) Actor A and Actress B have real sex disguised as fake sex? I wonder if the same thing happens with drugs, especially coke.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 7, 2010

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

bad movie knight posted:

Man, Heather Graham and Julianne Moore must've had one bad case of the shits. They do a lot of loving fake coke in that scene.

On a related note, something I've always wondered: Do they ever use real drugs in the filming of a movie? You know how sometimes (very rarely) Actor A and Actress B have real sex disguised as fake sex? I wonder if the same thing happens with drugs, especially coke.

Brian DePalma and Al Pacino refuse to this day to reveal what was used as the cocaine in Scarface that Pacino snorts.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

timeandtide posted:

Brian DePalma and Al Pacino refuse to this day to reveal what was used as the cocaine in Scarface that Pacino snorts.
TCC Fantasy #47: Doin' coke with Pacino.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

mackd717 posted:

should I watch Alien 3, Resurrection, AVP 1 & 2? I really, really liked Alien + Aliens, but I'm kind of getting mixed signals from the net.

Alien 3 isn't as good as the first two, but it's worth watching. Resurrection is pretty bad, and the AVP movies are terrible.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

bad movie knight posted:

Do they ever use real drugs in the filming of a movie? You know how sometimes (very rarely) Actor A and Actress B have real sex disguised as fake sex? I wonder if the same thing happens with drugs, especially coke.

Easy Rider, I believe.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

LesterGroans posted:

Easy Rider, I believe.
Forgot about that one. :(

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still don't know why Michael goes in to saying "Nothing but hell shits". At least that's what it sounds like.

"Nothing but health poo poo."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BrewingTea posted:

"Nothing but health poo poo."

I love these forums. THANK YOU.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Toebone posted:

Alien 3 isn't as good as the first two, but it's worth watching. Resurrection is pretty bad, and the AVP movies are terrible.

Sorry to add more mixed signals, but I feel a bit differently.

Alien Resurrection isn't as good as the first two, but it's worth watching. Alien 3 is pretty bad, and the AVP movies are terrible.

At least we're are in agreement on the AVP movies. You aren't missing a damned thing if you skip those.

The appeal of Resurrection for me was mainly the actors. Brad Dourif, Michael Wincot, Dominique Pinon, and Gary Dourdan were all great. Ron Perlman is great, and he acted well, but I don't think the part fit him very well. Same for Sigourney Weaver. Her acting was great, as usual, but, to avoid spoiling it, I'll just say her character was written a bit differently for this movie. Winona Ryder is, well, typical Winona Ryder.

Another great thing about the movie was seeing more of the aliens. Even though Alien used the "less is more" philosophy to great ends, there comes a time when I say, "I really want to see what this alien looks like". Resurrection shows some nice shots of the aliens and a pretty cool swimming scene. Also, one scene in particular where the two aliens gang up on the third one to spill its blood gives some better understanding to how they are very high reasoning creatures.

I'd be interested in hearing what you felt were the strong points of Alien 3.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

SkunkDuster posted:

Also, one scene in particular where the two aliens gang up on the third one to spill its blood gives some better understanding to how they are very high reasoning creatures.
Pretty extraneous after the "They cut the power" "What do you mean they cut the power? They're animals!" scene, no?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

SkunkDuster posted:

I'd be interested in hearing what you felt were the strong points of Alien 3.
Since I recently rewatched the quadrilogy, I'll chip in here:

Resurrection, which I moderately liked on first viewing in theaters, is about the most mediocre movie imaginable. Nothing really connects -- it fails even as a Hollywood blockbuster. There's nothing really engaging about it; the surreal touch Jeunet gives Resurrection is about the only quality it has.

Alien3, on the other hand, is a flawed masterpiece, from the disorienting tunnel chase to the final ending to the way Ripley gets the upper hand on the men of a prison colony. Plus, it features the second-most touching human relationship she forms in the series. It's not quite as breathtaking or suspenseful as the first two, but it's still a really solid film on the Hollywood-blockbuster level.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

bad movie knight posted:

You know how sometimes (very rarely) Actor A and Actress B have real sex disguised as fake sex?
Wait, what? No, I do not know about this. When has this happened (or has been rumored to have happened)?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Green Crayons posted:

Wait, what? No, I do not know about this. When has this happened (or has been rumored to have happened)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsimulated_sex_in_film

Most of those are bad examples because they show actual penetration, but it has happened in the past -- unfortunately, any specific examples are escaping me. I'm sure a more knowledgeable goon could chip in here.

Oh here's an example:

Don't Look Now

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 7, 2010

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Okay, this Alien talk has pushed me over the edge into getting all four. What should I buy? The one labeled "Alien Quadrilogy"?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Okay, this Alien talk has pushed me over the edge into getting all four. What should I buy? The one labeled "Alien Quadrilogy"?
Just wait for the Blu-Rays, due out around Christmastime.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

bad movie knight posted:

Just wait for the Blu-Rays, due out around Christmastime.

Woe unto me, for I don't have a Blu-Ray, and my dad doesn't want to upgrade because 720 peas is nothing special to him. :qq:

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Woe unto me, for I don't have a Blu-Ray, and my dad doesn't want to upgrade because 720 peas is nothing special to him. :qq:
Wait for it regardless. You don't know what might happen between now and then, and it's like $40+ for the DVD set.

You can get a Blu-Ray drive for a computer for a little bit more than that, so just buy one of those instead.

EDIT: If you really want to proceed with the DVDs, it's the Quadrilogy that has all four films, remastered and each with an alternate cut.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 7, 2010

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

bad movie knight posted:

Wait for it regardless. You don't know what might happen between now and then, and it's like $40+ for the DVD set.
What, really? In the UK you can get it for £10 from Amazon, and for like £5 on sale in stores. They practically give it away these days.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bad movie knight posted:

Most of those are bad examples because they show actual penetration, but it has happened in the past -- unfortunately, any specific examples are escaping me. I'm sure a more knowledgeable goon could chip in here.
Both of the people involved (David Carradine and Barbara Hershey) have said they actually hosed in Scorsese's Boxcar Bertha (1972).

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
For obvious safety reasons all cigarettes, alcohol, drugs etc etc are faked on set.
For stuff involving people smoking it's usually something like honey tobacco or some other herbal stuff.

Stuff like scotch, whiskey and so on is a mix of tea mixed with something like coke to darken it a bit.
Wine can easily be faked with various juices, sparkling juice works for champagne.
Or non alcoholic wine, but that stuff gets a bit nauseating if you have to drink lots.

Non smoking actors can use herbal cigarettes or simply never actually smoke, just move the cigarette to their mouth and hide with a reversal shot.

But if anyone showed up on set under the influence they're usually politely asked to chill in the hotel, it's a great deal safer than having constant retakes due to technical errors and having production stop due to OHSS investigations is really not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I never really thought about it, but I just always kind of assumed non-smoking actors just sucked it up for any smoking scenes. That's actually pretty interesting.