Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Dr_Amazing posted:

I never really thought about it, but I just always kind of assumed non-smoking actors just sucked it up for any smoking scenes. That's actually pretty interesting.
Mad Men: #1 purchaser of bulk herbal cigarettes since 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's sort of amusing to imagine Don Draper sitting there smoking an herbal cigarette and drinking lukewarm tea.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bad movie knight posted:

On a related note, something I've always wondered: Do they ever use real drugs in the filming of a movie? You know how sometimes (very rarely) Actor A and Actress B have real sex disguised as fake sex? I wonder if the same thing happens with drugs, especially coke.

Fake weed is usually that legal "herbal" poo poo you see advertised in High Times.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Akuma posted:

Pretty extraneous after the "They cut the power" "What do you mean they cut the power? They're animals!" scene, no?

That line from Aliens indicated that there was some intelligence, but it could have been a result of hive mind thought. Similar to how ants will just mindlessly attack things that threaten the hive (No man, BEES make hives!). The scene I mentioned really shows that they have individual thought.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

bad movie knight posted:

Man, Heather Graham and Julianne Moore must've had one bad case of the shits. They do a lot of loving fake coke in that scene.

On a related note, something I've always wondered: Do they ever use real drugs in the filming of a movie? You know how sometimes (very rarely) Actor A and Actress B have real sex disguised as fake sex? I wonder if the same thing happens with drugs, especially coke.

It's fun to think about. But it doesn't really work for shooting scenes because you have to do it over and over and over again. It gets expensive and kind of boring. You really can't go anywhere and do the things that'd be fun if you were high... if you did you could easily lose your job. Not to mention just becoming generally uncontrollable.

I mean, in eating scenes it gets so tiring that actors spit out the food unless they have to swallow it (they do have to watch their waistlines, and the food is cheap as can be)

I'm sure it's happened a couple of times, but it's really a bad idea.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

NeuroticErotica posted:

I'm sure it's happened a couple of times, but it's really a bad idea.
That's what I figured. I mean, as I said, it's really rare for an actress and actor in a sex scene to actually be having sex unless penetration is shown -- I figured the same would go with drug use. It would be really funny if Julianne Moore and Heather Graham improvised that scene in a coke high.

"WILL YOU BE MY MOM?!"

NeuroticErotica posted:

I mean, in eating scenes it gets so tiring that actors spit out the food unless they have to swallow it (they do have to watch their waistlines, and the food is cheap as can be)
I've always wondered about this; thanks for clearing that up.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

NeuroticErotica posted:

When a childhood friend of mine became a teen TV actor (and whose life later went completely off the rails like all child actors; ended up a drug addict in prison), he talked about spending 10 hours filming a dinner scene and having to spoon cold food into his mouth and spit it out, while the set designers would make sure the amount of food matched from scene to scene.

It included a bit where someone spat food onto another kid, and they filmed that ten times too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Not really a full-on question, but do you ever wonder how actors (especially child actors) who are big feel about the character they're playing being called all of these names? I mean, the obvious answer is 'they get over it, or are fine with it anyway, since they took the job', I just always wondered that as a kid. Someone like Eric Stoltz in Mask was alright, because anything that was said to him was said only to his character, but fat people are fat even when the camera's off.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Or when they need a bunch of fat ugly actors what does the casting ad say? It but be so awkward to audition for a part, where the fact that you are so ugly is the main source of comedy.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Dr_Amazing posted:

Or when they need a bunch of fat ugly actors what does the casting ad say? It but be so awkward to audition for a part, where the fact that you are so ugly is the main source of comedy.
I think most people who've gone to acting school are very much aware of the way they look and how it can get them roles. Serious acting schools will tell you these things, the span of roles you can get and so on. Being a fat, talented actor can be really lucrative.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I just tried searching casting.backstage.com (first site I found) for all the fat euphemisms I could think of and found a big pile of nothing. This was the closest from some Paramount casting call:

"Collin: male, 13-14, slightly (or more than slightly) overweight, confident, driven, optimistic, a natural leader, must have a great sense of humor, should have a Midweste..."

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Steve Buscemi.

Here's a question that is not so much movie related, but I have been watching my way through the Dr. Who and related BBC stuff, and goddam but they have some atrocious American accents in those shows.

I'll assume that because it is domestic British TV they just don't give a drat, but man, they suck.

I don't have a specific question, just looking for feedback on this issue.

(Also Ned Beatty(?) with a Russian accent in some movie (Gorky Park?))

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
Ok, watched the Hangover again, I don't think they explained why Bradly Cooper's character was in the hospital.

They mentioned it was for bruised ribs and a mild concussion but they never said how it happened.

Was it the tiny Asian or what?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CowboyKid posted:

Ok, watched the Hangover again, I don't think they explained why Bradly Cooper's character was in the hospital.

They mentioned it was for bruised ribs and a mild concussion but they never said how it happened.

I remember reading an interview with Todd Phillips saying they had some stuff in the movie (specifically the hospital scene, stuff in the pictures, etc.) to show that there's still some stuff they have no idea about. Also, if they don't reveal the whole night it leaves things open for a sequel.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

CowboyKid posted:

I thought that he got in a fight with Wayne Newton during the credits.

Also, what is up with this

Its all the same newspaper!

I guess I just thought a PA would go out and get old news papers or something.

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 7, 2010

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

bad movie knight posted:

Man, Heather Graham and Julianne Moore must've had one bad case of the shits. They do a lot of loving fake coke in that scene.

Zoë Lund in Bad Lieutenant (also a co writer) did real heroin when she shot up in the film.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
If I remember the commentary for SuperTroopers when Farva is supposed to be chugging beers at the awards dinner or whatever it was, the other cast members kept switching the "beer" with real beer and he did end up getting pretty wasted

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I don't think they were playing any joke, he was drinking real beer from the start and the vomiting is real too. One of the outtakes is a bunch of unused footage of Kevin Heffernan throwing up. It's also mentioned in the commentary that when Steve Lemme, who plays Mac, takes the four shots at the beginning that he's drinking real liquor.

They did various takes of the syrup chugging, also. Once with real syrup too.

e: I watched that movie way too much because I haven't seen it in years and probably twice that since I've listened to the commentary but I remembered all that all right away.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The Lucas posted:

Zoë Lund in Bad Lieutenant (also a co writer) did real heroin when she shot up in the film.
Can't say I'm surprised, she died from a heroin overdose a couple years after the movie.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I don't think they were playing any joke, he was drinking real beer from the start and the vomiting is real too. One of the outtakes is a bunch of unused footage of Kevin Heffernan throwing up. It's also mentioned in the commentary that when Steve Lemme, who plays Mac, takes the four shots at the beginning that he's drinking real liquor.

They did various takes of the syrup chugging, also. Once with real syrup too.

e: I watched that movie way too much because I haven't seen it in years and probably twice that since I've listened to the commentary but I remembered all that all right away.

I remember one of those guys talking about how they basically ended up shivering on the floor of their trailers with the lights off after the syrup chug.

Real question is, how much of the beer in Beerfest was real?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I guess I just thought a PA would go out and get old news papers or something.

And old newspaper would have copyrighted photos/text if you get close enough and they could get sued. You basically just buy a prop newspaper from the prophouse and it has it all jumbled up to where you want various poo poo to be.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

NeuroticErotica posted:

And old newspaper would have copyrighted photos/text if you get close enough and they could get sued. You basically just buy a prop newspaper from the prophouse and it has it all jumbled up to where you want various poo poo to be.
You could make a whole thread out of this.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

As I've been going through heaps of film noir, I love freeze-framing whenever there's a headline shot. It's fun to see which ones actually bothered to type up a whole story and which ones just slapped a headline on some completely unrelated story. Most are the latter.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

nemoulette posted:

I think most people who've gone to acting school are very much aware of the way they look and how it can get them roles. Serious acting schools will tell you these things, the span of roles you can get and so on. Being a fat, talented actor can be really lucrative.

Isn't that what happened to Wayne Knight: he lost a bunch of weight and was suddenly unemployable since his entire career was based on being the fat comic relief/rear end in a top hat character?

FitFortDanga posted:

As I've been going through heaps of film noir, I love freeze-framing whenever there's a headline shot. It's fun to see which ones actually bothered to type up a whole story and which ones just slapped a headline on some completely unrelated story. Most are the latter.

Once newspapers are dead and gone I wonder what they're going to do to replace headline shots. News feeds just aren't the same. :sigh:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Breaking iPad news alert.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

NeuroticErotica posted:

I sometimes enjoy pausing movies or TV shows where they feature a closeup of a newspaper with a headline pertaining to the plot. Sometimes it's close enough so you can read the story and a few times, I've seen the story below that for whatever reason has nothing to do with the headline whatsoever. Kind of funny sometimes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

cletepurcel posted:

I sometimes enjoy pausing movies or TV shows where they feature a closeup of a newspaper with a headline pertaining to the plot. Sometimes it's close enough so you can read the story and a few times, I've seen the story below that for whatever reason has nothing to do with the headline whatsoever. Kind of funny sometimes.

This post was a reused prop from this post:

FitFortDanga posted:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

NeuroticErotica posted:

The advent of HD has forced art departments to start putting effort into the props as you no longer can't get away with text being too small or indistinct for the camera to pick up.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I love it when the text does this:

quote:

HOLLYWOOD STARLET DIES

Amanda Lane, 26, died at her apartment today of a drug
overdose, much to the consternation of her friends and
family, who had no idea that aigjerg aexcb hwin vbxcbx
xcvbixcvbern cvbixc rwnxoenxh duwunh ckswpsjsrnv sdn

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Squid Hat posted:

I remember one of those guys talking about how they basically ended up shivering on the floor of their trailers with the lights off after the syrup chug.

I know that in Deep Space 9 (TV, but still), the actor playing Damar kept getting a huge sugar high because the Cardassian liquor (Kanar) he kept drinking was pretty much nothing but dyed syrup.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

WebDog posted:

The advent of HD has forced art departments to start putting effort into the props as you no longer can't get away with text being too small or indistinct for the camera to pick up.

That's mostly TV's problem, they've changed a lot more than feature movies have.

bad movie knight posted:

You could make a whole thread out of this.

Yeah... I just don't know where to start...

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

NeuroticErotica posted:

That's mostly TV's problem, they've changed a lot more than feature movies have.

Yeah... I just don't know where to start...

Maybe an Ask/Tell type thread posted in CD? Outline your job and experience, then let people ask questions?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I love it when the text does this:

It's something that comic books do quite often and is much more noticeable and so more annoying.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

cletepurcel posted:

Not a huge Family Guy fan but this always cracked me up.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

KillRoy posted:

Not a huge Family Guy fan but this always cracked me up.

quote:

DVD's

:doh:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

:doh:
It could be a contraction not a pluralization.
DVD is paused for headline joke.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It could be a contraction not a pluralization.
DVD is paused for headline joke.

No, that's not how newspapers work. It would be "DVD's Paused" just like it would be "Man Found Guilty" or "New Mayor Elected"

The apostrophe is technically correct because the headline is written in all caps. "DVDS PAUSED" would be confusing. You would probably figure it out in context, but a few people would probably wonder, "What's DVDS? Some kind of disease?"

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Dr_Amazing posted:

I never really thought about it, but I just always kind of assumed non-smoking actors just sucked it up for any smoking scenes. That's actually pretty interesting.

This is from a bit back, but if you ever actually smoked you can tell when someone is doing an actor drag and not inhaling. If when they exhale it pretty much looks like a poof of smoke like it could have come off the end of the cigarette like that they only pulled smoke into their mouths and then exhaled. When you actually inhale a drag the smoke gets all aspirated and exhales as a fine mist.

I guess no one cares how fake that poo poo looks, but me.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Does Netflix care if I'm streaming a movie on my computer and someone else is streaming a movie at their house at the same time using my account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

poonchasta posted:

Does Netflix care if I'm streaming a movie on my computer and someone else is streaming a movie at their house at the same time using my account?
I believe so.