Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

pennywisdom posted:

I'm having some trouble mapping parameters to my midi controller. When I pull up the map mode, click on something then twist a knob, I'm getting no response.

The midi controller is working fine otherwise. Any ideas?

Pretty sure you need to click Remote for the input of the LPD8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

You are so right. Thanks!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The only thing I would add to Live is the ability to bounce to an audio file a la most other DAW programs.

I know I can add a new audio track, set the input to "master" track, and record, but... I can't do that AND record MIDI through another track so I can't actually record live performance :(

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Exporting to MP3 would also be nice.

Mental Filler
May 5, 2007

She can ride or walk
either leave it or love it
Lack of MP3 is licensing I think, same with things like Cubase where you have to buy the encoding facility for £15.

QPZIL posted:

The only thing I would add to Live is the ability to bounce to an audio file a la most other DAW programs.

I know I can add a new audio track, set the input to "master" track, and record, but... I can't do that AND record MIDI through another track so I can't actually record live performance :(

Can you do that in any program? I mean rendering a sound file is pretty intensive on the CPU so doing it at the same time as a performance would require muscular computing power.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

QPZIL posted:

What about freeze track?

edit oh you mean the whole thing, live.. meh. My sound card has a mixer, so I'd probably just keep windows recorder open in the bg and record whatever goes out to the card

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

pennywisdom posted:

Exporting to MP3 would also be nice.

It's not a lot of work to drag the resulting wave file to RazorLAME and get better quality because you can tweak it to perfection.

It certainly wouldn't make things go faster.

QPZIL posted:

What if you set it to "Resample"? Also, by holding Ctrl you can have several channels record at the same time, but you knew that already, right?

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl
Switched to a mac system this week and drat is it nice not having to restart ableton every time i plug or unplug a new usb midi controller in..

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Nindoze posted:

Switched to a mac system this week and drat is it nice not having to restart ableton every time i plug or unplug a new usb midi controller in..

I want to make the switch for this feature alone.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
You don't have to restart the mac version? Holy gently caress. I don't know how many times I've lost a MIDI controller during a live show after it got unplugged.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?
To be fair, there's no good reason why it doesn't work like that in Windows. At the very least it could re-detect your MIDI controllers when you go into the settings box!

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl
if this don't convince you to get ableton i don't know what will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F39DuuyV5ys

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

After watching that video I just might buy ableton suite all over again

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.
I want to buy a launchpad now. That is bloody *incredible*.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

In a more serious note, I've been setting up Live lately to be a basic DJ setup, as close to real decks as possible, to use with the APC 40. So far I have 3 tracks, 2 decks and a 'crate' group which expands open using midiStroke to map to a button. I have buttons for cue and loop points, and some basic effects. Also a 3 band EQ based on the one at 365 live tips.

Having never been a DJ and learning this way, given I cannot afford decks on a whim, are there any 'typical' DJ effects, techniques, that sort of thing I can work in? I shall post the .als if anybody wants it to to play about with.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Man, I'm so stuck concerning this whole music making thing at the moment :argh: I'm trying to do instrumental songs for so long now, but I never finish anything because I always find the tracks I create totally boring. Also, I've got this weird idea in my head that I can't get out, that songs have to be like intro-verse1-chorus-verse2-chorus-bridge/whatever-chorus-ending, which is super generic and makes everything totally dull. If I don't stick to this though, the tracks become a huge mess ...

Strangely, actively listening to music does inspire me, but after five minutes I'm back in my rut. Are there any resources on composing music (doesn't matter which genre, apart from orchestral stuff I guess) on the internet?

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl

Lewk posted:

Having never been a DJ and learning this way, given I cannot afford decks on a whim, are there any 'typical' DJ effects, techniques, that sort of thing I can work in? I shall post the .als if anybody wants it to to play about with.

Perhaps this site will be of some help..

http://tarekith.com/misc.html

and abletonlivedj.com is good for what you seem to be pursuing and has some beginner style guides stickeyed if you register.

Also some article about creative ruts too there (chasing inspiration) for FLX..

Lewk
May 22, 2001

Nindoze posted:

Perhaps this site will be of some help..

http://tarekith.com/misc.html

and abletonlivedj.com is good for what you seem to be pursuing and has some beginner style guides stickeyed if you register.

Great stuff, thankyou. The second one seems far too obvious! I did google search, but not very well it seems. Trouble is I don't really know DJ terms so didn't know quite what to look for !

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Nindoze posted:

I'll have a look at that, thanks :)

I've got a question, I just installed Live on my new MacBook Pro, but on Mac OS X this time (on my old MacBook I was using it under Windows) and I'm wondering about VSTs. I thought VSTs were platform independent, but Live doesn't find Synth1 for example.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

FLX posted:

I'll have a look at that, thanks :)

I've got a question, I just installed Live on my new MacBook Pro, but on Mac OS X this time (on my old MacBook I was using it under Windows) and I'm wondering about VSTs. I thought VSTs were platform independent, but Live doesn't find Synth1 for example.
They are platform dependent. Synth1 doesn't exist for Mac afaik.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Which is a bummer. I cant find a decent alternative, nothing is laid out so simply yet has all the same features and sound quality. Crystal is way too many pages and features I don't need, automat is ugly and non intuitive, and elec7ro doesn't have FM.

Someone please find me a good mac friendly synth1 alternative, I'd even shell out a few bucks.

Mental Filler
May 5, 2007

She can ride or walk
Fabfilter Twin is a relatively straightforward synth with a good sound, but again it lacks the FM.

An alternative might be to try VFX which apparently lets you use windows VSTs on the mac, albeit with some reduced functionality.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Mental Filler posted:

An alternative might be to try VFX which apparently lets you use windows VSTs on the mac, albeit with some reduced functionality.

That looks interesting. I managed to import the Synth1 DLL into VFX but I don't know how to get it into Ableton now.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

FLX posted:

That looks interesting. I managed to import the Synth1 DLL into VFX but I don't know how to get it into Ableton now.

You can't load it directly into Live, you need to route the audio to Live with something like Soundflower.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Going to have to fire that up when I get home, looks very promising

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
I use Vember Audio's SURGE. It's not a simple synth by any means, but the layout and workflow is incredibly easy to get accustomed to. I was making some kick-rear end sounds with it almost as soon as I loaded it up for the first time.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Alright, trip report on VFX and Soundflower. It was very frustrating, how smoothly VFX installed, how easily synth1 installed, watching synth1 load up perfectly, and then realizing that they don't let you choose your MIDI/AUDIO input/outputs. With some experimentation I discovered that routing MIDI in ableton to the IAC bus would get MIDI into VFX, great now I've sequenced synth1. However, the only way to route audio is to send ALL system audio to soundflower. You cant choose an output in vfx. Sure, you can route soundflower into ableton, but then soundflower is the only input! What now? I can't use any of the inputs from my audio interface, that's what. SO CLOSE yet so far!

RivensBitch fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 10, 2010

Mental Filler
May 5, 2007

She can ride or walk
Well that is disappointing. Seems strange they wouldn't implement something as fundamental as inputs and outputs properly.

Actually I wonder why they can't do some sort of wrapper like the VST-RTAS one.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I think it's because their software is designed around their hardware interface, so letting it run PC plugins on a MAC for people not buying their hardware is kind of an afterthought.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 8, 2014

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Operator is a 4-op FM synth, so 4 oscillators; but a supersaw uses 7. The option is to either put unison count to 7 or to simply layer one instance of Operator with another. Though Analog is going to be better for this job (you may have to layer even more) since its saw is probably a bit brighter.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 8, 2014

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Not that I know of, I don't have Suite; I've got too many other plugins covering for that.

Anyway, the reason you still want 7 is because that's the number that works. 3 left, 3 right, 1 center.

Layering Analog (or layering anything at all) requires the Instrument Rack. It's basically Combinator - only for Live. You drag an instance in there, pick "Show/Hide Chain List (the 3 horizontal bar icon), select it, Ctrl+C > Ctrl+V and you're done (just make sure the first is set up correctly, so for Analog that means saw waves for oscillator 1 and 2 in Analog).

If you want a supersaw, that's 4 instances of Analog (7 saws, 4 x 2 = 8 so just disable oscillator 2 of instance nr. 4). However, Analog has Unison already - but I think that just doubles the sound. That way, you might even get away by using just 2, simply by tuning both Osc 1 and 2 of Analog nr. 1 a few cents down and those of Analog nr. 2 a few cents up. There are a dozen ideas for spreading and panning, but I don't know what the JP8000 actually used.

All that's left is assigning the vital controls - cutoff, resonance, filter env and stuff of both the instances to the Macro controls, and then assigning those again to the knobs of your controller.

Or you could just buy NI Massive or Sylenth1 and be done with it, too :v:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Twiin posted:

You don't have to restart the mac version? Holy gently caress. I don't know how many times I've lost a MIDI controller during a live show after it got unplugged.

You can always just go into preferences, turn off the controller, then turn it back on.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

You can always just go into preferences, turn off the controller, then turn it back on.

Funny enough, this does not consistently work from PC to PC. It doesn't work on either my desktop, or my old PC laptop.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

This doesn't work for me, sadly.

Mental Filler
May 5, 2007

She can ride or walk
Is there any way in session view to have a track which is independent of the master track? For the purposes of one shot clips which I don't want starting when the scene starts. If you see what I mean. I'm sure there is a simple way to make a clip just not trigger but I can't find it.

Also the User Manual is really hard to navigate as a pdf. Why no table of contents?

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
I have a resampling question. I know that a lot of sounds like the main synth in

Fake Blood - Mars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc3QNcec5RE

and SonicC - Stickin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3jj2wq76Sk

Are made by recording a synth, resampling it and chopping it up. I've been trying to figure a streamlined way to do this, because having to export a recording of a few chords as a wav, and then re-importing it seems to waste time. If you guys know of a better way in Ableton, I would be forever indebted.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Mental Filler posted:

Also the User Manual is really hard to navigate as a pdf. Why no table of contents?
It's bookmarked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Filler
May 5, 2007

She can ride or walk

Splinter posted:

It's bookmarked

:downs: my shameful non-knowledge of Foxit Reader.