Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

porkfriedrice posted:

I have noticed these new signs that have been installed on the Arrigoni Bridge over the Connecticut River. I only go to Middletown about five times a year, so to me anyway, it seems like a recent addition. They seem like they will be electronic arrows of some sort. What's up with these? (Sorry for the quality, cell phone pic.)

In the Netherlands those things are everywhere on highways (except rural ones that aren't very busy), they are mainly used to dynamically close lanes and adjust the speed limit during the traffic jams or in work zones. These look different though, here are ours: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrixbord

Speed limits shown on them become the legal speed limit, taking precedence over any regular signs on the side of the road, although I don't think they enforce it much when it's for heavy traffic. Usually when it shows a lower speed limit you're stopped anyway, or driving very slowly, or about to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Entropist posted:

In the Netherlands those things are everywhere on highways (except rural ones that aren't very busy), they are mainly used to dynamically close lanes and adjust the speed limit during the traffic jams or in work zones. These look different though, here are ours: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrixbord

These particular ones serve the same function here, except, as I noted, we're not employing reversible lanes. We are just installing them to reinforce "don't cross the yellow line, mmkay?"

And now for a Field Trip Report!

The weather was beautiful, so I embarked on a 200-mile trip around the state, which is pretty impressive for a state as small as Connecticut. The focus here was a semi-final inspection for two bridges in North Grosvenor Dale, a village in Thompson. This remote town in the northeast corner of the state played host to the most complex train wreck in US history, involving four separate trains.

Thompson, and especially North Grosvenor Dale, is a mill town. The abundance of hydroelectric energy and the rail connections to Boston, New York, Worcester, and New London built up the industrial sector here a century ago. The two bridges we rebuilt here are over an industrial canal and a tunnel between two factories.

The mills brought plenty of immigrants into the area. Here, near Putnam, a good portion of them were French, and include some of my ancestors. As time went on, though, the mills went out of business, generally moving to cheaper areas. The mill towns sank into poverty, or disappeared altogether.

(I just inverted the b channel, no cause for alarm)

(It's kind of like Urbex, except without the asbestos)

Some of the mills in North Grosvenor Dale are still industrial. The mill here now hosts a pallet factory, an office complex, a hardware store, and a laundromat in its compound. The railroad still goes through here (P&W RR for you railfans), though the old sidings are long gone.

An old narrow-gauge railroad tunnel used to come out of the main building and cross the canal...

...and passed under the road, emerging on the other side to serve the outbuildings and the rail depot.

My dad tells me there used to be a big water-wheel in the canal, as well, but that's long gone. These days, the only buzzing you'll hear around the factory is from the damselflies.

But wait, this isn't Critterquest. What was I doing in Thompson? Ah, yes. The project.

It looks pretty good, actually! The pavement markings are in the right place, the sidewalks are properly aligned, and the sign supports are breakaway.

Sloppy formwork, but that's just cosmetic. This new bridge looks solid. Check out the high-water mark.

Pavement markings aren't perfect, but they'll do. But what's that up there?

This sign has two things wrong! First off, it should be at the crossing (with an arrow plaque). Secondly, we no longer show the two lines that delineate the sidewalk. Why not? Our sidewalks don't look like that.

There's the new crosswalk. A bit of graffiti, but that will wear off long before the epoxy wears down.

However, we can't stop Curly. This isn't the first time he's vandalized this sign, and it won't be the last!

Not that you can see the sign, anyway.

--- Part two to come in a moment! ---

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Did I see a bike lane in there? :buddy:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
There is a bike path that runs alongside the river, and the sidewalks and shoulders here are plenty wide for bicycles.

--- Part 2 ---

Since I was up in Thompson, I visited my project in Killingly as well. You might remember from last time, they were waiting for the utility companies to come move the poles. Well, it's been a couple months. Where are we now?

... waiting for the utility companies to come move the poles. Great. I'm beginning to doubt this will be ready by the time the new high school opens. Why is this important?

That's right, we have a utility pole right in the middle of the road. Ouch.

Here is a continuous count station to be replaced with the project. This rusted little box is one of the most reliable count stations in the state, believe it or not.

The loops don't look great, either, but they work.

Then back to Norwich for lunch at Illiano's! Great little restaurant, I go there every time I'm remotely in the area. Then I took Route 32 all the way up...

doot doot doot FROG BRIDGE

... to Stafford to check on my project there. Stafford's known around the office for three things: pizza, motorsports, and incest.

I had to trudge through a lot of tall grass, so it's a good thing I brought my Pokémon with me.

The project involved a road realignment to get rid of some dangerous curves. It began last year, and it's nearly complete!

We put down the last pavement last week, and now just have to let it dry for 3 more before we can put on the final markings.

After that, I rushed through a couple more projects and made it back to the office in time to go home. What a wonderful Monday!

Unexpectedly large versions of most of these pictures are available upon request.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Is it me or is that rail tunnel ridiculously small?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mandalay posted:

Is it me or is that rail tunnel ridiculously small?

It is about four feet in each dimension (certainly big enough for children pushing carts). Chicago also had a tiny underground railroad like that, but it got flooded.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Stafford and Willimantic in the same day? You poor thing. :(

The footbridge in Willimantic is awesome though. I'll completely lose my poo poo if they ever propose changing anything about it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cichlidae posted:

I'm betting it's Breezewood, Pennsylvania. Smallest control city in the whole country.
Breezewood, city of motels! The turnpike passes by, but the problem is with the connection with I70. Instead of putting in proper ramps on I-70 directly to the toll booths, they just dead-ended it onto the main street in Breezewood, forcing all travellers between the two freeways to run the gauntlet of gas stations and hotels. Breezewood is quite proud of it, too, and has billboards up all over PA advertising it.

Quoth wikipedia, it was built that way because of some stupid-rear end technicality in federal funding laws:

wikipedia posted:

I-70 uses a surface road (part of US 30) with at-grade intersections to connect the freeway heading south to Hancock, Maryland with the ramp to I-76, which through this section is the Pennsylvania Turnpike toll road. According to the Federal Highway Administration, a division of the United States Department of Transportation, the peculiar arrangement at Breezewood resulted from a combination of rules which made the substantial additional costs of a direct link unacceptable to the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission at the time I-70 was built.[6]

Although laws have been relaxed since then, local businesses, including many traveler services like fast food restaurants, gas stations and motels, have lobbied to keep the gap and not directly connect I-70 to the Turnpike, fearing a loss of business. This short stretch is one of only two locations in the U.S. where there are traffic lights on a two-digit Interstate Highway. In roadgeek terminology, gaps in Interstate Highways are referred to as "breezewoods."

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grover posted:

Breezewood, city of motels! The turnpike passes by, but the problem is with the connection with I70. Instead of putting in proper ramps on I-70 directly to the toll booths, they just dead-ended it onto the main street in Breezewood, forcing all travellers between the two freeways to run the gauntlet of gas stations and hotels. Breezewood is quite proud of it, too, and has billboards up all over PA advertising it.

Quoth wikipedia, it was built that way because of some stupid-rear end technicality in federal funding laws:

My favorite part of Breezewood is that it isn't even a city or a town; it's unincorporated. I was doing some research on control cities, since there was a request to add Stamford as a control city (just out of curiosity, who here knows where Stamford is relative to NYC and New Haven?). It's hard to say no to a city of 120,000 when a place like Goodland, Kansas (population 4948) gets serious consideration and Breezewood's been a control city for decades.

Stamford only has one freeway, though, so it looks like that will cripple its attempt at control citydom.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Is there actually a requirement for control cities to be incorporated? Maryland has very few incorporated cities, in fact none of the cities on the Baltimore Beltway (I-695 MD) are incorporated, except for Baltimore City and that only runs through there for 1.9 miles, almost entirely on bridges with one exit (that immediately goes south into Anne Arundel county anyway).

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
What's different about a control city? I've never heard the term.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think they are the ones that are on signs.

I wish they would list more interstate intersections on those distance signs. When I'm driving north, I want to know how far it is to the end of I-684, not how far it is to Brewster which is near the end. Is that allowed? I know that NY will include the NY Thruway on their I-84 distance signs, but maybe that is a special case.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Ripper Swarm posted:

What's different about a control city? I've never heard the term.

They're the cities/locations named on freeway signs that tell you which way you're going. For example, at an on-ramp, you might see:

North
New York
Next Right

South
Philadelphia
Second Right

Roflex posted:

Is there actually a requirement for control cities to be incorporated? Maryland has very few incorporated cities, in fact none of the cities on the Baltimore Beltway (I-695 MD) are incorporated, except for Baltimore City and that only runs through there for 1.9 miles, almost entirely on bridges with one exit (that immediately goes south into Anne Arundel county anyway).

There are no quantitative requirements. A control city just has to be a "major destination" along the route with national significance. A state submits a proposed control city to AASHTO, a couple guys from AASHTO goes to a bar, talk about it for a few minutes, and come back with a thumbs up/down.

Yes, that's actually how it works. They do the big fancy WHEREAS... WHEREAS... write-up later, once they're sober.

smackfu posted:

I wish they would list more interstate intersections on those distance signs. When I'm driving north, I want to know how far it is to the end of I-684, not how far it is to Brewster which is near the end. Is that allowed? I know that NY will include the NY Thruway on their I-84 distance signs, but maybe that is a special case.

This is allowed, and occurs in some places. A route might use another interstate as a control city, usually a terminus, but sometimes just a major interchange.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Turns out I'm not crazy after all. Snapped this in Darien on the Parkway this morning

And now back to something I brought up last year, this clusterfuck around exit 24 from I95

The islands are currently surrounded with jersey barriers, and the areas outlined in red have been completely excavated with prefabricated concrete curbs going in around them. While I never liked this set of intersections, this improvement project has so far made it worse. When heading north from the bottom right, I put a "1" between the little island and big one right before you go under the bridge. This lane yields to traffic coming around from the bottom left, and while it used to be difficult at times to see which lane cars were in or how fast they were going, there's not almost 0 visibility. Hopefully when they take down the barriers it will be OK.

Just past that is a big blue arrow and a "2." I crossed out the road with a squiggle that used to bypass the stop sign for people heading around back under the bridge. The problem is that the blue arrow is where traffic backs up severely now. Instead of the weave conflict up top, people coming from the 3 approaches to go under the bridge have to wait in line for the stop sign at 2, and every single time I come around the inside where that blue arrow is I either have to stop suddenly because the bridge and trees make it a blind curve, or someone coming from my right gets very angry at the fact that they have to yield and inches up until they're almost scraping the side of my car. I wouldn't try coming from the left approach with right of way and going right unless I had a death wish.

3 and 4 have severely impaired visibility because of the construction and since traffic at 3 yields to traffic from the left, which has smoothed out since work started, it takes forever to get through.

Can we just demolish the whole thing and make it a big roundabout? And close exit 24 south while we're at it since it's redundant because of exit 23, 3/4 of a mile back?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Cichlidae posted:

My favorite part of Breezewood is that it isn't even a city or a town; it's unincorporated. I was doing some research on control cities, since there was a request to add Stamford as a control city (just out of curiosity, who here knows where Stamford is relative to NYC and New Haven?). It's hard to say no to a city of 120,000 when a place like Goodland, Kansas (population 4948) gets serious consideration and Breezewood's been a control city for decades.

Stamford only has one freeway, though, so it looks like that will cripple its attempt at control citydom.

When you get on the Mass Pike at Exit 2 in Lee, you'll get West Stockbridge listed as a control town if you head westward from the tollbooth. At 1,416 residents, it's one of the smallest control towns out there. Normally you'd only see Albany listed as a westward control west of Springfield (Lee, Westfield, and West Stockbridge are omitted from nearly all other signage), so it's a nice little peculiarity.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 8, 2010

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

GWBBQ posted:

And now back to something I brought up last year, this clusterfuck around exit 24 from I95

Can we just demolish the whole thing and make it a big roundabout? And close exit 24 south while we're at it since it's redundant because of exit 23, 3/4 of a mile back?

I was chatting with a coworker about this a few months ago. He had a big plan on how it would ideally be designed (pretty similar to what we talked about here), but there were still some overwhelming issues that had prevented that from working. Looking at it now, I'd probably just stick signals at each of the four "corners" and realign the approaches to make it smoother.

kefkafloyd posted:

When you get on the Mass Pike at Exit 2 in Lee, you'll get West Stockbridge listed as a control town if you head westward from the tollbooth. At 1,416 residents, it's one of the smallest control towns out there. Normally you'd only see Albany listed as a westward control west of Springfield (Lee, Westfield, and West Stockbridge are omitted from nearly all other signage), so it's a nice little peculiarity.

Control cities can be a little weird sometimes. In that situation, Stockbridge was probably chosen for that sign since it's the last town before the border; signing for the last town before the border is common on state-owned freeways. Perhaps it's a leftover from the Mass Pike's earlier days, or just a mistake. Going strictly by AASHTO's rules, Albany and Boston are the only control cities on the Mass Pike.

You'll also see on that list I linked that I-15 is a control city for I-70 and I-84 is a control city for I-86.

When you get into state-designated control cities, things get a little weirder. AASHTO doesn't designate control cities for most three-digit interstates, calling them short, urban routes. We designate those mostly by their termini, but some are just damned dirty lies. I-384, which goes from East Hartford to Bolton, is signed to Providence (but doesn't even make it a quarter of the way). Sometimes, we even ignore the AASHTO control cities. I-395 has Norwich, CT as a control city. Route 2 meets it in Norwich; the signs say I-395 North to Providence, South to New Haven. 395 doesn't come within 20 miles of either.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Driving in some construction today got me thinking about signal lights. An intersection's lights were out. The normal rule would be :eng101:"Treat it like an all-way stop." However, when was the last time you saw a 4-way stop with 3 lanes in each direction? (If anyone has, it would be Cichlidae) Also, no one else is treating it like a 4 way stop. No one directing traffic until I came back the other way.

So, my thought is, Do signal lights have any kind of backup power? I don't imagine that they do, the current draw for the lamps can't be insignificant. I suppose the controllers might have a UPS of some sort, but then whats the point?

Also, am I right in thinking this was a fuckup? They wouldn't intentionally turn off the signals at an intersection like this at lunch hour would they?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Guy Axlerod posted:

Driving in some construction today got me thinking about signal lights. An intersection's lights were out. The normal rule would be :eng101:"Treat it like an all-way stop." However, when was the last time you saw a 4-way stop with 3 lanes in each direction? (If anyone has, it would be Cichlidae) Also, no one else is treating it like a 4 way stop. No one directing traffic until I came back the other way.

They're relatively common in other parts of the country, according to a Texan instructor of a signal design course. Of course, he also used a divided road with three through lanes in each direction, stop controlled, as an example of when NOT to signalize. Maybe Texas just has a hard-on for stop signs.

The off-ramp from I-84 to 30/83 had its light out once (it's a big intersection with multi-lane approaches on all sides) and the resulting traffic jam was impressive. Drivers in real life don't treat multi-lane stops at all like the simulated drivers do. In Synchro, the approaches will take orderly turns: first each car Eastbound, then Southbound, then Westbound, then Northbound, around and around. In real life, it's usually the right-turning cars that get priority, through cars taking turns in NB-SB or EB-WB pairs, and left turners grabbing a gap where they are lucky enough to find one.

quote:

So, my thought is, Do signal lights have any kind of backup power? I don't imagine that they do, the current draw for the lamps can't be insignificant. I suppose the controllers might have a UPS of some sort, but then whats the point?

Signals draw a few hundred watts under power, about the same as a desktop computer. Some do have batteries, but most don't. If the power goes out, the signal does, as well. If they lose coordination but still have power, or have a momentary loss, most signals will go into flashing operation. High-priority signals have 24-hour maintenance, so a call to the police will get someone out there right away to fix it.

quote:

Also, am I right in thinking this was a fuckup? They wouldn't intentionally turn off the signals at an intersection like this at lunch hour would they?

If the signal was off intentionally, they should at least have had some temporary stop signs installed.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I was in DC last summer and they had a power outage that knocked the lights out at an intersection near the hostel I was staying at. We were all sitting outside and the number of near accidents was crazy. People just don't see traffic lights at night if they aren't on, especially if the street lights are out too.

Eventually the policy came by and put up Stop signs on the yellow line in each direction.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
I was browsing randomly through Wikipedia, when I came across something for this thread:

This is a traffic light in Tipperary Hill district of Syracuse, NY. How the hell can they get away with something like this? Wouldn't this be dangerous for colorblind motorists?

fuzzygenius
Aug 11, 2004
insanity abounds

Kakairo posted:

I was browsing randomly through Wikipedia, when I came across something for this thread:

This is a traffic light in Tipperary Hill district of Syracuse, NY. How the hell can they get away with something like this? Wouldn't this be dangerous for colorblind motorists?

The story around Syracuse is that the light is in the middle of the Irish district, and people would shoot out the lights when they were put up in normal order, until the city finally put green on top, like the residents wanted it. Don't know how true that is, but supposedly it was Irish pride taking over. And yeah, I have to imagine it's pretty bad for colorblind folks.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

fuzzygenius posted:

The story around Syracuse is that the light is in the middle of the Irish district, and people would shoot out the lights when they were put up in normal order, until the city finally put green on top, like the residents wanted it. Don't know how true that is, but supposedly it was Irish pride taking over. And yeah, I have to imagine it's pretty bad for colorblind folks.

That was the explanation in the Wiki article. It's got to be a :psyduck: moment for any out-of-towners pulling up to that light.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

They should just mount it sideways

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Kakairo posted:

That was the explanation in the Wiki article. It's got to be a :psyduck: moment for any out-of-towners pulling up to that light.

It's not in compliance with the MUTCD, I'll tell you that much. And it's not like the stripes in Bristol, RI that have federal legislation exempting them. I guess it's worth it for the state to soak up lawsuits whenever someone gets in an accident there, rather than risking an incumbent losing the election because he pissed off his constituency by flipping a signal.

I don't know how many people actually recognize that red goes on the top. I bet most people would notice something weird going on, but couldn't tell you what it was. A lot of our work is like that: subtle enough that you wouldn't have it memorized, but you'll notice if something is wrong.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

Cichlidae posted:

the stripes in Bristol, RI that have federal legislation exempting them
What's up with those stripes?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Large Hardon Collider posted:

They're red, white, and blue :911:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Large Hardon Collider posted:

Bristol (my hometown, incidentally) has the nation's oldest 4th of July parade. It must be at least 220 years old by now. The parade route is marked with a red-white-blue centerline. The parade is a huge pain in the rear end because Bristol's population swells from 20,000 to 250,000, and the 350-year-old roads just can't handle it. After the fireworks, it's normal to be stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic for hours.

I always thought the RWB centerline was normal for parade routes, since I hadn't lived anywhere else. I've seen green centerlines in places with St Patrick's Day parades, too, but Bristol's the only one namedropped in the MUTCD. It's got a big fancy "notwithstanding any other provision of law" blanket approval at the very end of the MUTCD, just before the metric conversion tables.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kakairo posted:

A lot of non-uniform devices are used until there is a lawsuit.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
I had some free time today, so I decided to design a full interchange for a six-way junction. Three freeways meet, with 24 ramps between them. What does this mess look like?

Well, that's not bad at all! It's kind of elegant, in fact. No weaving, no left exits or entrances, maximum height is 60 feet above grade.

Now let's put some cars on it and see how it works.

I put an entering ADT of 252,000, and it flows quite smoothly. Not bad for such a monster.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Cichlidae posted:

I had some free time today, so I decided to design a full interchange for a six-way junction. Three freeways meet, with 24 ramps between them. What does this mess look like?

Does one of these actually exist?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

porkfriedrice posted:

Does one of these actually exist?

I highly doubt it; it'd be very expensive to have three roads cross with a full interchange in the same place, when they could be offset and have three smaller interchanges, or a partial interchange.

There are several places where 5+ freeways meet, but they tend to be spread-out, irregular interchanges with weaving or missing ramps.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Cichlidae posted:

There are several places where 5+ freeways meet, but they tend to be spread-out, irregular interchanges with weaving or missing ramps.

Squeeze some buildings and palm trees in the gaps and you have Los Angeles.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
Quick question and I apologize if it's already been asked in this massively cool thread. How do they open and close expressways? I live in Chicago and there's always heavy traffic both in and out of the city. For the express lanes all's I see are those gates, do they send people out to block off the lane and close them manually or are they automatic in some way?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Choadmaster posted:

Squeeze some buildings and palm trees in the gaps and you have Los Angeles.

No kidding, huh? I wonder which city has the most lane-miles of freeway per capita.

Yeet posted:

Quick question and I apologize if it's already been asked in this massively cool thread. How do they open and close expressways? I live in Chicago and there's always heavy traffic both in and out of the city. For the express lanes all's I see are those gates, do they send people out to block off the lane and close them manually or are they automatic in some way?

The one I have the most experience with, on I-93 south of Boston, is done manually. They stick come cones out, block the lane, and then send the zipper truck down to shift over the barrier. Traffic control on freeways is pretty tough to do automatically, because a good part of it involves getting the motorist's attention. Having a gate across the road won't have the same impact as a state trooper in his cruiser.

Edit: This isn't a universal rule. Reversible lanes without a barrier are often controlled automatically by overhead signals, and I haven't seen any, but it's likely that some barrier-divided reversible lanes would be, too.

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 12, 2010

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater

Cichlidae posted:

No kidding, huh? I wonder which city has the most lane-miles of freeway per capita.

According to http://www.publicpurpose.com/hwy-tti99ratio.htm its Kansas city

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

noblergt posted:

According to http://www.publicpurpose.com/hwy-tti99ratio.htm its Kansas city

Having had the unfortunate necessity of driving through there recently I'm not surprised. I am surprised LA is so far down the list however.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Choadmaster posted:

Having had the unfortunate necessity of driving through there recently I'm not surprised. I am surprised LA is so far down the list however.

I'm amazed Detroit is so far down the list.

Well, it could be because it's counting the entire metro area, and not just the city itself. That prioritizes more rural cities over urban ones.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
What is that software you use and is it possible to get an evaluation copy or what? I would love to play with making some crazy roads.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

thehustler posted:

What is that software you use and is it possible to get an evaluation copy or what? I would love to play with making some crazy roads.

Just keep in mind the diagonal is a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

thehustler posted:

It's VISSIM. I believe someone earlier in the thread downloaded a trial version. The full version comes in different tiers, which is a huge pain in the rear end for me, because we have the lowest tier. We can't do transit priority or realistic pedestrian modeling because our license doesn't allow it. There's a USB hardlock, too, and it's pretty fickle about which port the hardlock is in.

The program itself has one of the worst interfaces I've ever used. You can only set up the road network in 2D mode: right-click-drag to place roads, when in road placement mode. It took me 3 minutes to figure that out, and that's just the first step. VISSIM can't do curved roads. All roads are either links or connectors. Connectors can be made of a limited number of multiple segments to create something that looks like a curve, but can't do the same things links can. Links can be "curved" by adding segments, but it has to be done manually.

3D mode doesn't have any kind of coordinate system, so if you want to make a 10-meter column, you'd better hope you didn't accidentally resize it, because you'll never know. Place objects by right-clicking. Move, rotate (only one rotation dimension available), and resize by holding some combination of shift, control, and alt. Left-clicking on any object will remove it. And did I mention there's no undo button?

There's no undo button. Screw something up, you have to go back to your previous save file. Well, in Version 5, they put in an undo button, but it only works in pedestrian mode, which you have to pay extra for. Copy/paste only works with 3D mast arms, not roads or other 3D objects or anything useful. There are plenty of buttons that don't do ANYTHING. Reading through the manual, it says, "someday we'll implement this. Until then, XYZZY."

Despite all that, VISSIM is an extremely versatile program, and it'll simulate just about anything you want. The car driving algorithms in it are quite advanced, and I'd say better than Synchro's by a long shot. All the same, you have to be extremely precise about what you input: every place cars will yield to each other, every speed zone, every second of every phase of every signal... And god help you if you make a mistake, because that undo button only works on pedestrians.

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 13, 2010