Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Click here for the full 645x124 image.

I'm trying to run the Deus Ex Fixer, and this is the error message I'm getting. Any ideas? Couldn't find anything about it in the first 30 pages, and google searches come up with a bunch of forum posts that are at least 8 years old and kinda irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Chakron posted:

Click here for the full 645x124 image.

I'm trying to run the Deus Ex Fixer, and this is the error message I'm getting. Any ideas? Couldn't find anything about it in the first 30 pages, and google searches come up with a bunch of forum posts that are at least 8 years old and kinda irrelevant.

What OS do you have, is this the Steam version, etc.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Tanith posted:

What OS do you have, is this the Steam version, etc.

hurrrr. Windows XP with DirectX 9.0. I have the Steam version. Set up like this currently (the same error results when selecting any type of renderer):

Click here for the full 658x506 image.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Concerned Citizen posted:

Man, why didn't anyone ever make a mod to do that?
They tried, it was called UNATCO Born. Making a big mod like that is quite a bit larger in scope than most people can grasp though, and it died before being finished. It was never officially declared dead, it's just that nobody's working on it anymore, and haven't for a couple years.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/unatco-born

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm many hours into TNM now and I have to give it a pretty positive take. The most striking part is the huge levels, which are pretty thoughtfully designed and encourage lots of exploration. Even if they're actually too big for the obsolete engine, and make the framerate fall sometimes.
There are essentially two problems with TNM:

1. For a game made by Deus Ex nerds, the level approaches are extremely linear. Deus Ex usually had three approaches at it's worst - guns, stealth, vents. TNM rarely has more than two.

2. After a while, you start getting save files that are 100+ mb.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

2. After a while, you start getting save files that are 100+ mb.

So true. I'm at 80mb per save right now. And for some reason I cannot continue, because the game doesn't recognize I saved a certain person since I did it before I was told to save a certain person, by snooping around and being a jerk.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

How do you climb up boxes and ledges with biomod?

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Doctor Butts posted:

How do you climb up boxes and ledges with biomod?

You need to rebind your jump key in the options.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

No, the weapon balance in Deus Ex is right off. There is such an odd gap between certain things that it feels really weird, and certain weapons are just overpowered for what they are. Honestly, as much as I enjoy DE, a lot of the balance is really off and could have been looked at. Some skills could have used a little adjustment. (I just said this in the Deus Ex 3 topic, but seriously, roll swimming into Environmental Training.) Same goes for augs, where some could have used buffs here and there, although some mods do this.

I don't think everything needs to be 100% equal, but if you're not going to go for ideal balance, then everything in the game should be actually useful.

Nearly every weapon at master, is awesome. Mods make them more awesome. Every weapon at untrained, un-modded sucks. Even the assault rifle, at master with 100% accuracy, the laser, and all the clip mods one finds, it's a head shot machine gun.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Word of warning to those using Shifter/BioMod: level transitions are wonky when you're high on Zyme. Somehow after the effect wears off, after a level transition, everything moves at double speed. I thought restarting the game and reloading the save would fix it but it didn't :(

And I'd have to recheck but I think even loading an earlier save and exiting the level even without Zyme gave me double speed after it happened, like the level itself became bugged. Maybe the PC needed restarting, I haven't checked since.

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

John Dough posted:

Word of warning to those using Shifter/BioMod: level transitions are wonky when you're high on Zyme. Somehow after the effect wears off, after a level transition, everything moves at double speed. I thought restarting the game and reloading the save would fix it but it didn't :(

And I'd have to recheck but I think even loading an earlier save and exiting the level even without Zyme gave me double speed after it happened, like the level itself became bugged. Maybe the PC needed restarting, I haven't checked since.

Oh for sure. Zyme is hosed up. I think you have to do something with DXfix to prevent that, but can't say for certain.

Off-topic, what are the best mods for Thief 2? I'm really getting into it, but I only have a few missions left.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

John Dough posted:

Do more Zyme.

Squirl
Aug 8, 2004
You're lucky I couldn't think of anything better
Yeah, its the addiction. You have to keep doing more and more to feel normal again.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Hahahaha. I love the bugs that are too good to fix.

Uab
Sep 13, 2007
Hungry
If you have Biomod installed and you're anything like me then you're probably interested in saving Lebedev without ruining your non-lethal achievement (some spoilers below).

With a whole bunch of experimenting I found that if Navarre dies directly as a result of your actions (shooting a LAM or TNT with your pistol...) then you fail the achievement.

But there's a nice way to make her kill herself! First make sure to destroy only one side of the door to Lebedev's room, and then place a TNT on the outside in the hallway just to the right, like this:

Click here for the full 1440x900 image.

When you trigger the conversation she'll spawn just to the left of that TNT. Next you should go inside, block the entrance with a big crate, and place a 2nd TNT right up against the door like this:

As soon as your conversation is over she'll spawn and throw open the still-locked door with such great force that she'll blow up the TNT on your side of the door, creating the standard mess of juicy giblets:

You can get the big crates right outside if you have Strength aug. Keep in mind anything destructible won't work because her augmented legs tear poo poo up (meaning you might just be able to build a TNT barricade, I haven't tried). TNT comes from the dock. She has to die, otherwise the game assumes that you allowed her to kill Lebedev, even if you used crates to just trap her.

The game acts as though you still did the deed -- Alex Jacobson's post-murder lecture never felt so appropriate!

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 19, 2011

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad
I think I'm going to make some more Deus Ex mod videos like the ones I did for the Nameless Mod. Definetly Burden of 80 Proof, maybe Der Zeit Mann and Red Sun too. Maybe I'll make some more Nameless Mod videos. I don't think I'll find better material than that one.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
Thanks to this thread I just started replaying Dues Ex again with shifter and biomod. Iīm also using the new exe found here http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/page1.htm

However Iīm having a problem with the game turning very dark after about 1 minute of playing, hitting esc to bring up the menu gets it back to normal but itīs very annoying since it happens so frequently. There doesnīt seem to be anything specific that triggers it, walking around, standing still or even having the menu up all makes the game go dark after a minute or so. I already tried installing the latest drivers for my video card to no effect.

Iīm running XP with a Geforce 7950 GX2 video card, anyone else experienced this problem ?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Very dark, not black? Do you have any power saving options on or programs that adjust display properties like PowerStrip or color temperature like F.lux or anything that might have functionality designed for an LCD backlight running? Gamma options in both game and the nVidia control panel, one overtaking the other?

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

Hogburto posted:

Very dark, not black? Do you have any power saving options on or programs that adjust display properties like PowerStrip or color temperature like F.lux or anything that might have functionality designed for an LCD backlight running? Gamma options in both game and the nVidia control panel, one overtaking the other?

Very dark, not completely black. I do actually have a screen calibrator (spyder 3) plugged into my computer but itīs not interfered with any other games, but I will try to disable it and see if it helps though I wonīt be able to test it until the weekend. No adjustments made to the gamma in the nvidia control panel or any other programs.

Uab
Sep 13, 2007
Hungry

DVD Drive posted:

^ Does killing her by placing a LAM on the wall ruin the non-lethal achievement? That's how I always kill her in vanilla.

Yep, place a LAM on the wall and shoot it, achievement ruined. Shoot the TNT crates rather than letting her blow them up, achievement ruined. The 2nd one surprised me because the TNT crates aren't "yours"

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 19, 2011

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Arvid posted:

Very dark, not completely black. I do actually have a screen calibrator (spyder 3) plugged into my computer but itīs not interfered with any other games, but I will try to disable it and see if it helps though I wonīt be able to test it until the weekend. No adjustments made to the gamma in the nvidia control panel or any other programs.

Check the in-game gamma. In some instances, it will reset itself after a save or load. This happened quite a bit when I was playing TNM.

Squirl
Aug 8, 2004
You're lucky I couldn't think of anything better

DVD Drive posted:

^ Does killing her by placing a LAM on the wall ruin the non-lethal achievement? That's how I always kill her in vanilla.

Just save a few TNT crates from the box maze, or if you have enough strength mods you can find 4 exploding barrels in the bottom of the plane. Just stick them on Lebedev's side of the doors and she will destroy them (and herself) by barging in.

Alex still blames you for it but for Biomod challenge purposes it doesn't count as a kill.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
The first time I killed Navarre, it was on accident. I was paranoid I was going to be ambushed and placed a LAM on the wall before talking to the guy. Something exploded, then the support guy chastized me and Denton was defensive for no reason. All the worse because Navarre said she had cochlear implants that let her hear where LAMs are. My immersion :qq:

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
I've had this game since about 2004 and have never played past the first level. Should I just play it or what?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

standardtoaster posted:

I've had this game since about 2004 and have never played past the first level. Should I just play it or what?

No. Don't. I don't think anyone here would reccomend doing that.

The first 60 pages of the thread are people saying about how the game is boring, and how it's aged really badly and doesn't hold up at all compared with modern games as far as freedom of action goes. Compared to something like Modern Warfare, Deus Ex is pretty much just a rail shooter moving from one scripted encounter to the next with no real input from the player as to how you complete it.

Get the heck off the forums and get past the first level right now

NOW

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Compared to something like Modern Warfare, Deus Ex is pretty much just a rail shooter moving from one scripted encounter to the next with no real input from the player as to how you complete it.

This. Modern Warfare 2 was a thousand times better than Deus Ex and should definitely be considered the best game of all time, unlike this lovely game.

:v:

e; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j8jMn2Kcgs

Hehe.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 10, 2010

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Stephany Maxwell, the science chick standing just outside the big blast doors that lead to Dr. Savage in Vandenberg, never talks to me.
I click on that bitch and she just won't say anything. This has happened in all my play-throughs so far, and she seems to be the only NPC in the entire game that doesn't say anything when right-clicked on.
What's the deal?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I've always thought that she got scared, when I blasted three troopers and a MIB guy with the GEP, but perhaps she haven't got any dialogue.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I always rush Vandenberg and only realized this last playthrough that the MJ12 dudes were stacking TNT crates to blow down the doors. :doh:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You can definitely talk to her, but you have to make sure she never gets freaked out.

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
Is the second Deus Ex any good?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

K8.0 posted:

You can definitely talk to her, but you have to make sure she never gets freaked out.

I think what stops her from talking is if she freaks out before the scripted conversation between her and the MJ12 trooper finishes.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I think what stops her from talking is if she freaks out before the scripted conversation between her and the MJ12 trooper finishes.

Wow, haven't finished the fourth play-through and it already looks like I'll be doing a fifth.
Another thing I noticed for the first time (while playing jut now):
There's a dead bum behind some rubble next to the other bums that give you the sewer key at the gas station. The ones Sandra Renton ends up with if you don't get her to stay home.
Said bum (the dead one) also has a key to the sewers. I guess that'll come in handy for those players that either don't want to talk with the bums or just straight up shoot them and then don't bother looting them.

This loving game, man. drat.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

standardtoaster posted:

It's been said many times now, but no.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

standardtoaster posted:

If you play it immediately after finishing the first, you'll be disappointed. However if you play it without having any prior experience you'll find it's a fun if slightly clunky game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

standardtoaster posted:

Not really. It has a lot of mechanic problems that make it feel clunky and awkward. It's not the worst game ever made, but really not worth your time either. As a followed up to Deus Ex, it is absolutely embarrassing.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bk. posted:

Stephany Maxwell, the science chick standing just outside the big blast doors that lead to Dr. Savage in Vandenberg, never talks to me.
I click on that bitch and she just won't say anything. This has happened in all my play-throughs so far, and she seems to be the only NPC in the entire game that doesn't say anything when right-clicked on.
What's the deal?

I've noticed that too. I think the bug is that she never returns from 'running away' mode. If I get bored, I'll d/l the editor and see if she actually has any dialog.

Another thing, the scientist chick by the UC in Versalife always cons red and cannot be spoken to. I usually go into Versalife with guns blazing, but I did a sneaky approach this time, made it to the up/down ramp without alerting anyone, and she was still red. Bug?

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Bk. posted:

What's the deal?

You have to use the cloak and silent footsteps to knock out the guy beside her. Do this before you kill the MIB and the two other guys downstairs.