Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh yeah, any unit that creates another unit (like necromancers or dryads) are also seriously overpowered. Enemies seem to always go after summoned units first (then archers, then everything else) for whatever reason. Round 1 you summon 800 skeletons or plant monsters, watch as the enemy homes in like a missile, two rounds later it recharges and you make some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.
Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll smush my troops up against a few stronger armies until they aren't viable any more and switch to an all-human army.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cell posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll smush my troops up against a few stronger armies until they aren't viable any more and switch to an all-human army.

Since you're playing as a mage you might be interested in the frog princess found at the swamp. I also hope you're not getting your wife pregnant because babies seem nice early game but they take up space for some ridiculous items mid-game. When she's horny turn her into a zombie or give a big old slap in the face (ah, European game makers - I love you guys).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm not ready to buy another game just yet, and I realize they aren't quite the same game, but I'm still wondering, which should I choose: a HoMM game (III seems to be the favorite), or King's Bounty?

This is for someone who hasn't played either, ever, and would be coming to it brand new.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

doctorfrog posted:

I'm not ready to buy another game just yet, and I realize they aren't quite the same game, but I'm still wondering, which should I choose: a HoMM game (III seems to be the favorite), or King's Bounty?

This is for someone who hasn't played either, ever, and would be coming to it brand new.

Combat system is pretty similar (but different) on both, but they arent the same type of game.

KB is a RPG with a tactical combat. HoMM is an strategy game with RPG elements.

KB as a good story, its a long continuous game on which you will do quests, talk to NPCs, buy items, fight bosses, etc.

HoMM is divided in campanigns, with negligible storyline, each divided in maps. You take cities, build on then with resourses you gather or the mines you taken produce, hire troops and heroes to lead then, etc.

In short: pretty much the only thing in common with both is the similar tactical combat.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 7, 2010

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I would personally start with HOMM III myself. While King's Bounty does start off with a tutorial, it also seems to make a lot of assumptions as to what you already know about the genre. HOMM III starts off slow enough that you can probably figure things out as you go without even reading the manual first, although that would probably help.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

So it sounds like HoMM III is a bit like Jagged Alliance 2, in that you don't just participate in a static line of battles, but there's some map travel and battlefield choice, and some minor city/empire building and resource management involved.

I'm going on a weird, sporadic strategy game binge for some reason, and buying far more games than I have hours to play them. Just recently:

- bought Master of Orion pack
- downloaded Alien Assault
- downloaded Panzer General Forever
- bought Jagged Alliance 2
- considering HoMM III

The awesome thing is that just about all of these will run on a flash drive, and play well on a netbook of negligible power. It's just great you can pack all these great wars with you wherever you go.

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009

Luisfe posted:

Seriously, Sacrifice is awesome. "Oh, so I am running out of Inquisitors/Royal Snakes/Knights? No problem! Just let me buy a bunch of archers/peasants and sort this out!"

Sacrafice is on my shelf of games I need to beat, along with Giants:Citizen Kabuto and BG&E.

Only problem is that Giants starts out so slow and I already played the first 4 hours about 6 times, same with BG&E which doesn't run that smoothly on my Machine. I got about halfway through Sacrafice before stopping. I just can't get a grasp on the interface really.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Welp Blood is an awesome shooter, feels like Duke Nukem mixed with Doom.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Awesome Andy posted:

Welp Blood is an awesome shooter, feels like Duke Nukem mixed with Doom.

Blood was awesome. Needs a remake badly. The humor and setting was awesome, but they need to update the gameplay and make it not so hard!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

So it sounds like HoMM III is a bit like Jagged Alliance 2, in that you don't just participate in a static line of battles, but there's some map travel and battlefield choice, and some minor city/empire building and resource management involved.

Eh... not really. It's more like 4X games like Master of Magic or Age of Wonders than anything like JA2's campaign.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

doctorfrog posted:

I'm going on a weird, sporadic strategy game binge for some reason, and buying far more games than I have hours to play them. Just recently:

- bought Master of Orion pack
- downloaded Alien Assault
- downloaded Panzer General Forever
- bought Jagged Alliance 2
- considering HoMM III

The awesome thing is that just about all of these will run on a flash drive, and play well on a netbook of negligible power. It's just great you can pack all these great wars with you wherever you go.

If you end up getting HoMM3, be sure to grab the fan-made In the Wake of Gods expansion. It adds a ton of stuff to the game, though I'd suggest playing through the vanilla version first to get used to it. There's also an HD patch, but it doesn't work with the GoG version just yet. It does recognize the WoG executable, though, so you can at least get it running with that if you want.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Eh... not really. It's more like 4X games like Master of Magic or Age of Wonders than anything like JA2's campaign.

Exactly. City management is mostly buy buildings, using money and resourses like stone, wood, crystal, etc, one building a day. Building allows you to recruit troops (each troop has its building. You can recruit a fixed amount per week), to recruit heroes, to have better city defenses in sieges, teach spells to heroes, and have a money income.

Then you assign troops to your heroes and go explore and win other cities and mines, gather resourses and power ups, fight neutral monster and enemy heroes. Map objectives varies, but is usually: kill you opponents by taking all their cities and killing their heroes.

Kreeblah posted:

If you end up getting HoMM3, be sure to grab the fan-made In the Wake of Gods expansion. It adds a ton of stuff to the game, though I'd suggest playing through the vanilla version first to get used to it.

Dont really like WoG. I thinks it adds too much, taking away the chess-like simplicity that is a big part of the fun of Heroes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Your clarifications are only serving to make me want to purchase this game more.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

doctorfrog posted:

Your clarifications are only serving to make me want to purchase this game more.

I dont think you will regret. Its a true classic every startegy gamer should try.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
How are the fan made WOG campaigns for HOMM3? I thought about trying them out a while ago seeing as I love HOMM3 but have played all the dev made campaigns, but normally fan made campaigns stink.

Anyone have any relevant experience?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
AGH. Playing Assassin's Creed 2 gave me a hankering to play PoP, and GoG let the sale go to midnight tonite. Curse you poor impulse control. :argh:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

AxeManiac posted:

Blood was awesome. Needs a remake badly. The humor and setting was awesome, but they need to update the gameplay and make it not so hard!

If Monolith made a new Blood game it would probably get a lot more attention than the gigantic "Meh" garnered by F3AR.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Verizian posted:

If Monolith made a new Blood game it would probably get a lot more attention than the gigantic "Meh" garnered by F3AR.

Monolith isn't making Fear 3 so we just might see a new Blood game (yeah right) (it better be nolf 3)

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)
Condemned 3.

(Goddamnit make Blood 3 you bastards. Call it Blood 2 and pretend the second game didn't happen.)

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Didn't they unregister the Blood computer game trademark recently? Well, WB did, so I'm not sure how this translates to Monolith. So I don't think we'll ever see Blood 3. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

It's HoMM3. If you like that sort of thing, you really can't go wrong.

Frankly, I'm sorry your childhood was barren of HoMM3 hotseat games. :( I'm sure they're the reason I like multiplayer games, even though I hate Heroes and all games like it as a result, now.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Monolith isn't making Fear 3 so we just might see a new Blood game (yeah right) (it better be nolf 3)

It could be SHOGO 2. They did promise a sequel at the end of the first game, and there's that one guy wearin a SHOGO 2 shirt in FEAR 2.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There are demos of all the HoMM games, just go and play them for a while if you want to know if they're worth buying.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Panzer General 3D: Assault is now on GOG for $9.99.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Blodskur posted:

Panzer General 3D: Assault is now on GOG for $9.99.

Does anyone know how this compares to Panzer General 1+2?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Agh, my controller that I know works with PoP died. Wall jumping with a mouse and keyboard is evil.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

loving pussy :smug:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

SwissCM posted:

loving pussy :smug:

I cheated playing Duke Nukem 3D, I like games, just not that good at them! Makes me wish these old games would be released with trainers and cheats and all that. I loved those. Cheating owns.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

sethsez posted:

Does anyone know how this compares to Panzer General 1+2?
Not as good. That said, here's hoping this means an eventual release of PG1/2/FG/PeoG.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

AxeManiac posted:

In all fairness, I consider myself pretty exceptional at FPS games, and on the hardest or next to hardest difficulty on Blood, I remember actually running out of ammo a few times and getting myself out of some sticky situations. If I couldn't I'd just reload a previous save.

Then again, I'm Mr. has-to-kill-everything-and-go-everywhere-110%-OCD-completionist, which is also why I have such a big backlog of games I'll never play. :(

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Zachack posted:

Not as good. That said, here's hoping this means an eventual release of PG1/2/FG/PeoG.
I might be remembering this incorrectly, but I remember reading (probably on this forum) that the old SSI Panzers are one of those unfortunate properties that are tangled up in copyright confusions, such that no one's really sure who owns it, and therefore, everyone's afraid to publish it, lest some lawyer show up demanding things.

In the meantime, there's PGForever (depending on your stance on abandonware and remakes of abandonware). http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88752

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 9, 2010

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Charles Martel posted:

In all fairness, I consider myself pretty exceptional at FPS games, and on the hardest or next to hardest difficulty on Blood, I remember actually running out of ammo a few times and getting myself out of some sticky situations. If I couldn't I'd just reload a previous save.

Then again, I'm Mr. has-to-kill-everything-and-go-everywhere-110%-OCD-completionist, which is also why I have such a big backlog of games I'll never play. :(

You had to play the first half of the game with nothing but a pitch fork, didn't you? poo poo was hard!

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
is the site down right now?

https://www.gog.com

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Cable posted:

is the site down right now?

https://www.gog.com

I was about to ask if anyone else couldn't get the site to load.

Maybe they're preparing the launch of EA's back catalogue!! :razz:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Charles Martel posted:

Would you stop taunting my dreams? EA still owns a fairly large catalog of DOS games that I weep over :smithicide:

Site's also back up if it was down earlier. Now to look away before I buy Outcast.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Has anyone tried the (or an alternative) high resolution add-on for Outcast. The last time tried this game vanilla I was sad to see it didn't appear go past 640x480. Ten years later I'm sure my PC could handle up to 1024x768 but the option isn't there.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just want Shogun: Total War working on vista. I'd pay for that.

evil imp
Dec 29, 2008
I would love to get Dungeon keeper 1 and or 2. They've never really made anything quite the same although evil genius is similar and fun. Bullfrog had so many amazing titles back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Charles Martel posted:

It's working now, and you can get Princess Cleavage for $9.99.