Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Phat_Albert posted:

You've gotten lucky with WD40 then, as it wont remove any serious varnish.

You want aerosol carb cleaner, I surely dont know what would be available in Brazil, but what you want is something like this:

http://www.ruralking.com/gumout-carb-choke-spray-7459.html?cvsfa=1908&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=303630303430303133

http://www.amazon.com/Berryman-Chemtool-Carburetor-Cleaner-aerosol/dp/B0002KKIE6

http://www.jcwhitney.com/clean-r-ca...141&zmap=576115

To be honest i never had real gung to clean up. At most month-old gung, because really, even a week without firing the engine will dirty-up your carb with our gas.

@slim : Acetone ? poo poo, i have tons sitting around in the garage. But really, acetone is cheating, nothing can resist it, its a mean, mean, mean cleaning machine. I had never thought about using it to clean carbs, well, live and learn, right ? :)

new page, so sumo content : The border of my back tire is hitting my exhaust when the suspension compress on small jumps/big holes/etc, so this week i`m going to the metal working shop (any one word expression for that ?) to get something like this (the black piece) done:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Will that gently caress-up my handling too much ? I plan on doing it just long enough to stop the tire from hitting the pipe...

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just did a quick google, yeah, it's in brake cleaner and carb cleaner. Not sure in what percentage, but that and methyl ethyl ketone seem to be the primary cleaners in both.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6029898_ingredients-carburetor-cleaners.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Primo Itch posted:

new page, so sumo content : The border of my back tire is hitting my exhaust when the suspension compress on small jumps/big holes/etc, so this week i`m going to the metal working shop (any one word expression for that ?) to get something like this (the black piece) done:

Will that gently caress-up my handling too much ? I plan on doing it just long enough to stop the tire from hitting the pipe...

A metal working shop is typically called a "machine shop", because they machine metal.

An extension like that is going to increase the rear ride height, obviously, and it's going to have a larger effect than just the size of the extension plate on it's own depending on the setup of your rear linkage.

I'd figure out why your rear tire is hitting the exhaust. Is the exhaust bent? Is it because your sumo rim is wider? What's the situation there? I'd rather fix the problem than bandaid it with a suspension change.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Primo Itch posted:

To be honest i never had real gung to clean up. At most month-old gung, because really, even a week without firing the engine will dirty-up your carb with our gas.

@slim : Acetone ? poo poo, i have tons sitting around in the garage. But really, acetone is cheating, nothing can resist it, its a mean, mean, mean cleaning machine. I had never thought about using it to clean carbs, well, live and learn, right ? :)

Can you feel it happening, or is it just leaving a black mark on the silencer? A little tire muffler interaction is no big deal, it happens on most supermotos. If you can tell when the tire hits the muffler the standard fix is to space the muffler out from the subframe.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
It's hitting because the aftermarket exhaust is a little wider than the original and because of the ridiculous 150/70 tire that fits the swingarm by 5mm at each side, and i do feel when it hits the muffler, already burnt some 3-5mm on the border of the contact patch.

I like the spacing it out a little, didn't thought about it, i'll look into buying a new clamp (that's what google tradutor gives me, the ring you put around the muffler and screw in the frame) that pulls the exhaust just a bit to the side, half an inch should be enough, maybe even just a cilinder spacer and a longer screw will do it...

I should've been clearer before by using muffler, not exhaust, but the word slipped me...

Thanks guys :)

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 9, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Meh, close enough. Your english is still better than a lot of the native speakers. :v:

Spacing it is a much better solution. Depending on how the exhaust mounts, just loosening the exhaust up and shimming the existing clamp with some washers or stock metal might make it clear as well.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Installed a James Dean jet kit and did the 3x3 airbox mod on the DRZ over the weekend.

I have to say I'm really impressed with the results. It really does give the bike a nice bit of extra kick at every RPM low and high. Plus it seems to make the bike feel more thumper like. I think its the engine noise coming out of the airbox now that its opened up.

Highly recommended to any one whos like me and doesn't want to drop the $$$ on the FCR carb.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
couldn't resist... got another SE...

got it for a steal, includes supermoto wheels, gps, pipes... the price wouldn't be understood as its in convict dollars.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

How much was it and where did you get it? Can't tell much from the blurry first picture but it looks like NSW plates, so I'm guessing the Sydney/Blue Mountains area? What capacity is the engine? Edit: Quick bit of googling tells me it's probably 950cc which makes it way too big for a learner...

Reading this and the moped thread has made me really want to get both a supermoto and a little moped for tooling around on, but poo poo all is showing up on ebay (apart from unregistered motorised bicycles and 500cc+ dualsports).

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 15, 2010

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Ebay hardly gets used in Australia when it comes to bieks and poo poo, try bikesales and forums and poo poo. Moped are impossible to find really, and are expensive for various reasons.

poo poo is kinda rare in general in NSW it seems, I looked for months upon months before just buying new.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jharkov posted:

couldn't resist... got another SE...

Next time I'm in Australia can I visit and play on your bikes?

Congrats on another fantastic Katoom.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
So I think I might be coming down with the SM fever. Just looks like way too much fun. I've been considering a DRZ400, especially after reading through this thread, but I have one major concern:

I do a LOT of highway riding in LA (lots of city riding too). My bike is my only mode of transpo. I was wondering, what engine upgrades are available to me on a DRZ that will give me that extra pep on the highway (75-85mph)?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ari.gato posted:

So I think I might be coming down with the SM fever. Just looks like way too much fun. I've been considering a DRZ400, especially after reading through this thread, but I have one major concern:

I do a LOT of highway riding in LA (lots of city riding too). My bike is my only mode of transpo. I was wondering, what engine upgrades are available to me on a DRZ that will give me that extra pep on the highway (75-85mph)?

You can regear to reduce cruising RPM, and go with a big bore kit to increase pull. K's bike cruises just fine at 15/41 with the BB kit and CVK40 carb, mine's kinda tapping out there.

Honestly though, at this point it's getting to where after mods you're going to be looking at close to husky or ktm costs on a sumo. Find a KTM 625 or a Husky 610, they're starting to drop into the high 3k range.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Honestly though, at this point it's getting to where after mods you're going to be looking at close to husky or ktm costs on a sumo. Find a KTM 625 or a Husky 610, they're starting to drop into the high 3k range.

Can't find either of these models on their respective company websites. Are they discontinued?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I never understood the fear of SM's (especially the DRZ) on the highway. My drz would pull 100mph stock. 75 wasnt that big of a deal. Unless you're planning to do 90 on the freeway all day, a DRZ shouldnt be too bad.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

^^^ My drz is distinctly unpleasant at an honest 75MPH on my speedo.

ari.gato posted:

Can't find either of these models on their respective company websites. Are they discontinued?

The KTM 625 SM is the predecessor to the KTM 690 SM, and it appears that Husky is moving to the 630 SMS rather than the 610 SM. I didn't realized they'd released a newer version, my bad :)

They'll be a couple years old but are generally known for being good, reliable bikes.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Can someone confirm this is a "quiet,q,96db,corked up etc aftermarket pipe" exhaust before I change jets this weekend. (as opposed to a "aftermarket pipe with open muffler " per ThumperTalk)

I had it set to an open muffler before but my brother says its a corked aftermarket pipe and I think he's right.

Hopefully this will fix some of my carb issues. (a good cleaning included)

Click here for the full 1152x864 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah that's corked. The spark arrestor is a screen that provides backpressure and reduces the sounds to legal levels.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
What are your thoughts on the KTM Duke?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ari.gato posted:

What are your thoughts on the KTM Duke?

If you never jumped it or rode it up stairs/curbs/gardens, it'd probably be the better street ride. I like having stupid amounts of suspension travel and the Duke is definitely a sumo inspired standard and not a supermoto. I wouldn't want to hop curbs/offroad and stuff on it, basically, and that's most of the fun I've had on a sumo. Not saying it's not capable, because it's probably better off than your typical sportbike, but it's definitely not designed for it. It's not a bike where you're going to crash it, laugh, pick it up, kick the dirt off, and keep riding it. Half the fun in sumos is that they are practically indestructable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Speaking of jets, where can I get them for the FCR? The TT kit comes with a bigger main jet than I'll need since I have a stock exhaust right now. Searching the TT store only brings up full jet kits, and I don't need anything but the main.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
I went to my local dealer and bought one for $5

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Speaking of jets, where can I get them for the FCR? The TT kit comes with a bigger main jet than I'll need since I have a stock exhaust right now. Searching the TT store only brings up full jet kits, and I don't need anything but the main.

Local dealer or Sudco can get them for you. Come to think of it, I should probably go down a size on my main jet because I'm running the stock exhaust but...:effort:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

If you never jumped it or rode it up stairs/curbs/gardens, it'd probably be the better street ride. I like having stupid amounts of suspension travel and the Duke is definitely a sumo inspired standard and not a supermoto. I wouldn't want to hop curbs/offroad and stuff on it, basically, and that's most of the fun I've had on a sumo. Not saying it's not capable, because it's probably better off than your typical sportbike, but it's definitely not designed for it. It's not a bike where you're going to crash it, laugh, pick it up, kick the dirt off, and keep riding it. Half the fun in sumos is that they are practically indestructable.

I'm pretty sure a Duke with bar end and axle sliders is about as indestructible as an SM model. If your plan is to ride an awesome, flickable, light weight bike, with gobs of torque on a twisty asphault road you can't go wrong with a Duke II or 690 Duke. The Duke I is good too, but a bit ugly. Although on the upside the tach counts off in "Beats per Minute" instead of RPM. I would pick a bike with an LC4 over the DRZ every time.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Zool posted:

I'm pretty sure a Duke with bar end and axle sliders is about as indestructible as an SM model. If your plan is to ride an awesome, flickable, light weight bike, with gobs of torque on a twisty asphault road you can't go wrong with a Duke II or 690 Duke. The Duke I is good too, but a bit ugly. Although on the upside the tach counts off in "Beats per Minute" instead of RPM. I would pick a bike with an LC4 over the DRZ every time.

Duke 2 and the Duke 690 looks bangin. Would both (either?) of them be able to make it to about 85mph? Checked CL in L.A. and there's one Duke 2 available. I checked KTM's site and I guess they're discontinued as well. Time to start the search.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The underslung exhaust is the only bad thing about the dukes.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

ari.gato posted:

Duke 2 and the Duke 690 looks bangin. Would both (either?) of them be able to make it to about 85mph? Checked CL in L.A. and there's one Duke 2 available. I checked KTM's site and I guess they're discontinued as well. Time to start the search.

It'll do about 115. 85 will be comfortable*. Yeah, the Duke 690 replaced the Duke II. The 690 makes almost twice as much power as the DRZ, and the brakes are at least that much better.

Engine vibration won't be too bad, wind blast on the other hand...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

The underslung exhaust is the only bad thing about the dukes.

It's bad rear end and people jump dukes off curbs all the time without blowing poo poo up. They wont clear a triple, and I wouldnt wanna jump a loading dock with one, but curb hopping? No biggie. Plus are just so drat cool.

As Zool says, if you want a bike that will absolutely demolish any twisty road and wheelie out of every single corner the Duke is one of the best.

He's also not kidding about brakes. If you've ridden a stock DRZ400SM and then ridden any other supermoto and try to go back you'll honestly think theres a problem with your brakes.

They are endlessly good bikes but very much an entry level bike. You can mod the piss out of them, which is cool, and they will never break but the first time you ride something European you'll never get it out of your mind.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

cmorrow001 posted:

Can someone confirm this is a "quiet,q,96db,corked up etc aftermarket pipe" exhaust before I change jets this weekend. (as opposed to a "aftermarket pipe with open muffler " per ThumperTalk)

I had it set to an open muffler before but my brother says its a corked aftermarket pipe and I think he's right.

Hopefully this will fix some of my carb issues. (a good cleaning included)

Click here for the full 1152x864 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I think that's a Yoshi Ti? Which is the 2nd best pipe for the DRZ, and is not a "quiet,q,96db,corked up etc aftermarket pipe".

Search a bunch on Thumpertalk for pictures to confirm and jetting for it, its a very common setup.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
it is a Full Titanium Yoshimura but I think it's corked up. As Z3n noted, look at the spark arrestor.

The free flowing exhaust has this tip

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Isn't that an RS2? it looks round?

Google tells me that this is a Ti,

and Yoshimura-rd tells me the same.
The Arrester can be pulled out to free it up if its still in there.

Either way, the power of a DRZ pipe is all in the header pipe, long low sweep is bad and the sweep back straight from the head is good, so it might be making power even with the arrester in there, I have no idea really.

EDIT: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506721&highlight=yoshi+ti+spark+arrestor

Full Yoshi Ti
3x3
FCR-MX:
155 main jet
200 main air jet
EMN clip 3
45 pilot jet
NO pilot air jet (removed it)
Fuel screw 2 turns

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
Thanks for the info. It stil has the arrestor in there as I don't think there is an "easy" (without removing rivets) to remove it.

I was running a 160main so hopefully moving to a 155 will make a difference.

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!

Zool posted:

It'll do about 115. 85 will be comfortable*. Yeah, the Duke 690 replaced the Duke II. The 690 makes almost twice as much power as the DRZ, and the brakes are at least that much better.

Engine vibration won't be too bad, wind blast on the other hand...

While I haven't ridden a 690, I've talked to people who have owned both a 690 and a II. Get the 690. The version of the LC4 in the 690 supposedly resolved a lot of the horrible vibe issues I have in my Duke II. 85 is most certainly not comfortable. Neither is 70. If you're going highway speeds at constant throttle, you are going to be in pain.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So coming from sport bikes I'm thinking about dabbing into the Super Moto world for a little bit in a couple months. I said I'd wait a couple years before I got another bike after I sold my last one before I enlisted but super motos are just so cool.

My last bike was a gsx-r 750.

I'm almost positive I want a KTM. Figure I'll spend around $3-5k. How are they on long commutes or freeways? I don't really know much of anything about them to be honest.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I love that question.

They suck. All supermotos suck for long commutes and long trips on the freeway. You are riding a dirtbike.

Now, that said, they suck about as little as a bike of their type can. So it's as good as a bad situation can be, and it's actually very livable. I've done an 800 mile day on my 690 and I still have the use of my legs.

Don't buy one thinking it'll be your everything bike, because it wont unless you are as crazy as I am. It will be the funnest thing you have ever owned though and you will defend your lunacy in any court of man. Also, you'll get a lot of opportunities to defend yourself in the court of man.

Read the thread. Then if you have any specific questions that haven't been asked 10 times already, fire away.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I wasn't planning on doing any commuting but was curious. I've never really seen them on the freeway.

I just want one for the weekends when I'm home to scoot around town. I don't think I'll own it too long because I'll probably eventually get another sport bike.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Christoff posted:

I just want one for the weekends when I'm home to scoot around town.

Perfect

Christoff posted:

I don't think I'll own it too long because I'll probably eventually get another sport bike.

No you won't.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Spiffness posted:

No you won't.

I'm incredibly jealous of this never-go-back mentality, but living in the largest city in the US would not bode well as far as avoiding highways goes :argh:

There are so many drzs on CL around here ;_;

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I wished for a sumo today, all the streets seem to be buckling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm in love.

Took my friends bike above out for a spin today just to see how they are. loving awesome. I love everything about them especially the whole "get on and ride" aspect. And just how tight and nimble they are. It just seemed like riding my sport bike was a task. I was so tempted to go off the road into some little dirt trails. It wasn't too quick but I wasn't expecting it to be fast. But I'm also not used to the gearing.

So I'm partial to KTM but ultimately don't care. My friends bike had room for a 2nd person but no where for the feet. So I'd like one that can get fit two, you know, for all the ladies. Any particular year or rand other than KTM to look out for? Looking to spend $3,000-$5,000. I'm not too picky on any of the above

• Locked thread