Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

I've run just about every variant of gearing out there. What are you looking for with the gearing change? More acceleration? Lower cruising RPM?

I was hoping there was a universally accepted "this is better than stock" ratio that people have been running. I'm likely going on an expedition next month around the Western states, so I may just leave stock; I don't want to sacrifice low end grunt for the lower rpm cruising speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NipplesTheCat posted:

I was hoping there was a universally accepted "this is better than stock" ratio that people have been running. I'm likely going on an expedition next month around the Western states, so I may just leave stock; I don't want to sacrifice low end grunt for the lower rpm cruising speeds.

I'd hesitate to run it any taller than stock, it's about ideal for all around stock unlike a lot of other bikes. Shorter can be nice if you do a lot of around town and stuff, or track it, but for any sort of distance it'd be a waste.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

NipplesTheCat posted:

I would imagine it depends a lot on the RPM range the bike makes power.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

I'd hesitate to run it any taller than stock, it's about ideal for all around stock unlike a lot of other bikes. Shorter can be nice if you do a lot of around town and stuff, or track it, but for any sort of distance it'd be a waste.

That's essentially what I suspected, I'll just burn out another set of stock sprockets then go hog wild later.

Jalertic
Jul 3, 2004

I have a 2001 650S with a stuck choke. I can move the choke lever about a quarter of an inch before it stops which is not enough to be of any help. This makes it a pain in the rear end to get started in the mornings. The last time I cranked it with the choke I had a hard time getting it unchoked once it was started. I'm not sure if something happened to the cable or if there's something in the carb blocking something.

I've never worked on carbs before so I'm really hoping this is a quick fix, does anyone have any suggestions on what it may be?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Cable could be all gunked up...lift the tank and try and actuate the choke lever manually.

schlaufux
Apr 28, 2007
just no stupid newbie k?
Hi guys, complete motorcycling noob checking in.

A friend of mine is selling her sv650, specs are:
2001, 20k miles, never dropped/no accidents, good condition (according to her), new back tire and no maintenance/repairs coming up in the next time

This would be my first bike and the first I'll have ridden after getting my license two years ago. Now my questions are:
1. I'm not mechanically inclined and have neither tools nor a garage to work on it, I'd just need a bike that I can commute (5 miles) on and take a few weekend trips, not planning on doing a whole lot of miles. Would a 2001 bike be OK or would I have to spend lots of money on maintenance in the next two/three years?

2. I'm 6'2" and 195lbs, would the bike fit me at all? What about the suspension, which I assume is stock?

3. My girlfriend wants to ride with me, which I'm obviously only even considering after putting a few houndred/thousand miles on it by myself. Does the bike handle two-up riding well?

Thanks for your help, just tell me if you need to know anything else.

PS: Other affordable bikes in my area would be a Bandit 600S (looks great, but probably too heavy and powerful) and a few Kawasaki Z7S as they're called around here, don't know much about them. Also a Yamaha TDM850, which also might be too powerful at ~85hp?

TIA :)

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
The year/age of the bike doesn't really factor into the level of maintenance required but the level of care its had under the previous owners does. An old bike that's been well cared for will need less work than a newer bike that's been used and abused.

The SV is pretty light on maintenance anyway and it's actually quite an easy bike to learn how to spanner with - if you learn to do basic things like oil and filter changes, brake pad changes etc. then you can just turf the harder stuff to a mechanic. You don't need more than a small toolkit to do the small tasks with and they're universal to any bike.

The stock suspension is crap for anyone who weighs over 100lb but if you've never ridden before, you won't realise how crap it is and you certainly won't be affected by it. I'm about the same weight and height as you and the stock suspension didn't bother me until I got a chance to ride better bikes. If it does bother you, you can get replacement fork internals and a rear shock done, which isn't that expensive.

Unless your girlfriend's a podgy lardarse, it'll handle 2-up riding fine. Just don't expect miraculous handling or acceleration.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

So instead of selling my SV and buying one with the GSXR swap and goodies I think I am just going to build mine up. Turns out first gen SV's with 40k+ miles that have been low sided once and dropped a bunch don't sell for poo poo.

My roommate has a few stock GSXR rear shocks and will sell me one really cheap, plan to use that until I find the need to put something expensive back there.

I think I'm headed to FL to pick up another Duc with my roommate this weekend and the guy said he has a couple GSXR front ends I could look at. Is there anything I need to watch out for when shopping for a front end?

Or I might just pick up this one on WERA (http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=256198), sell mine the my friend that wants it and use the $$$ to do the front end swap.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 8, 2010

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
My SV650 is for sale.

(Yes, that's a Line-X paint job.)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
That's gotta be hell on your riding pants. confirm/deny?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

That's gotta be hell on your riding pants. confirm/deny?

While it looks like asphalt, it's actually very smooth.

I just checked my riding pants (mesh) and jeans, and there doesn't seem to be a noticeable wear pattern in either.

So: Deny.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I might be joining the SV club. I'm looking at a 2003 650 tonight/tomorrow. It's apparently up for sale for $2800 with 7,xxx miles, a dirt bike bar, radiator bars and sliders. :dance:

Is there anything I should specifically look for? Any flaws, mechanical things I need to look at specifically for the SV? The guy said that SV650's don't need valve jobs every 6k like Ninja 250/500's do, but instead every 14k.

Hopefully this will be a worthwhile upgrade from the ex500.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

They're pretty much rock solid, if the oil has been changed, they're good to go. No major problems or bad spots with them. That's a good deal, the bar is the biggest thing I don't like about the stock SVs...they're really uncomfortably bent inwards.

And yes, it'll be a hell of an upgrade from your 500 :)

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The seller says he got it with 1k miles and has been changing it's oil every 2.5k. He had a crash on gravel and had to replace his bar and radiator (hence radiator cage and dirt bike bar). His gas tank has a dent in it the size of a little kid's fist though. He says he's had no problem in the 6000 miles he's ridden it since that crash. With the gas tank, how much can I knock off his asking price?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

The seller says he got it with 1k miles and has been changing it's oil every 2.5k. He had a crash on gravel and had to replace his bar and radiator (hence radiator cage and dirt bike bar). His gas tank has a dent in it the size of a little kid's fist though. He says he's had no problem in the 6000 miles he's ridden it since that crash. With the gas tank, how much can I knock off his asking price?

Eh, I'd say a few hundred. Gen 2 tanks should be pretty available. See if you can get it for 2500$, maybe a bit less if it needs chain, sprockets, or tires.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Thanks! Super loving excited. Seeing it in a hour and half!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Z3n, you're slipping. No asking him to listen for strange noises or anything this time?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
^-LOL

I went, inspected, observed, exploited the gf's hearing ability, offered him $2300.

I'm picking it up tomorrow. Blue 2003 SV650N. :)

it's so quiet that I couldn't even hear the exhaust with my ear up close. Big diff from my ex500...

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

the walkin dude posted:

it's so quiet that I couldn't even hear the exhaust with my ear up close. Big diff from my ex500...

Something is clearly wrong, then.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

UserNotFound posted:

Something is clearly wrong, then.

I think this might be an exaggeration, but the SV is an extremely quiet bike with the stock pipe and baffle in place.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I think this might be an exaggeration, but the SV is an extremely quiet bike with the stock pipe and baffle in place.

1) 12" drill bit

2) whirrrrrrrrrr

3) Profit

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Z3n, you're slipping. No asking him to listen for strange noises or anything this time?

Eh he wouldn't know what to listen for anyways.

:downsrim:

Pope Mobile posted:

1) 12" drill bit

2) whirrrrrrrrrr

3) Profit attract attention from the cops

#1 reason I run stock pipes.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I actually haven't done it, but plan on it.
Can't be any louder than my friend's stock sportster.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
It's a perfect plan. The girlfriend, a docile rider, gets the ridiculously loud ninja 250 while I, a car-hating lane-splitting rider, gets the stock sv650.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Oh, god. I thought I fell in love with the Ninja 250 and 500, but the Sv is just ridiculous. I want to ride it all night tonight.

It's nice to have a wasp's tail, and not a banana seat tail sort.

Being 6'5", it's nice flatfooting and gripping my legs comfortably while riding. I read that the '03 model has a higher tail positioning, and if that's true, I picked a great year.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 19, 2010

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Is it normal for the rear brake light and plate light to stay on after parking and turning off the bike?

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
You've turned the key too far - just past the steering lock is another notch that keeps the front centre light on and the rear light so the bike's visible if parked in the dark.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Yes, it's perfectly normal to have running lights on when you turn the bike off. It's good for the battery to be drained every time you use the bike, just make sure you have a new one for every time you start it up.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
That's what I figured out after poring through the manual (which said nothing about parking lights). My bike was parked in the dark and I couldn't see the indicators on the key nub. Blast my Ninjas for accustoming me to ancient technology :argh:

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Parking lights are useless. Why would you ever need them? Luckily honda figured this out and didn't install that on my cbr.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My rear brake doesn't even trigger the brake light. But whousestherearbreakanywayamirite? :smug:

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006

Pope Mobile posted:

My rear brake doesn't even trigger the brake light. But whousestherearbreakanywayamirite? :smug:

probably a bad relay

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
I'm trying to decide between holding out for an FI sv650, or grabbing one of the slightly cheaper carbureted versions.

Can anyone attest to the merits of one or the other? Assuming both bikes have similar miles and have been well-cared for, which would you choose, and why?

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008

benwards posted:

I'm trying to decide between holding out for an FI sv650, or grabbing one of the slightly cheaper carbureted versions.

Can anyone attest to the merits of one or the other? Assuming both bikes have similar miles and have been well-cared for, which would you choose, and why?

I think the usual response to this on SVrider is get the one that looks coolest to you. The biggest difference between the two is fuel injection, which just makes cold start-up a little easier.

If you plan on upgrading your SV heavily, keep in mind that the crankshaft on the second-generation bike is more prone to breaking. The first generation bikes, with the "stronger" crank, should hold up a little better to upgrading. However, unless you're really dumping cash into the engine, this shouldn't be an issue.

As far as intangible qualifications are concerned, I have heard on occasion that the first gen "handles" better.

Either way, you're getting a great bike!

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

benwards posted:

The FI one. Because it's fuel injected.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

benwards posted:

FI: Coldstart? what's coldstart? Why do people keep talking about a choke? is that some weird sexual fetish or something?

I think the 2003+ SVs look better than the older ones, but that's purely subjective.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

FI: Coldstart? what's coldstart? Why do people keep talking about a choke? is that some weird sexual fetish or something?

I think the 2003+ SVs look better than the older ones, but that's purely subjective.

This is why I bought a second gen sv650s. The 'pointy' looks so much better in my opinion.

That and FI cause I cbf messing with carbs..

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

benwards posted:

I'd choose the Gen 1, purely for flatslides. With the cam swap you can bring a gen one up to the power of a gen 2 for cheap, and the flatslides add a lot of torque and top end power, plus they sound awesome.

And they're dead simple, supposedly lighter, and are generally cheaper all around thanks to their age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

Z3n posted:

I'd choose the Gen 1, purely for flatslides. With the cam swap you can bring a gen one up to the power of a gen 2 for cheap, and the flatslides add a lot of torque and top end power, plus they sound awesome.

And they're dead simple, supposedly lighter, and are generally cheaper all around thanks to their age.

What are flatsides?

I had an 05 sv650 for a year, but had to sell it on account of circumstances. Haven't decided which I prefer aesthetically, but if that's really the only difference, I may opt for the cheaper of the two. I live in CA, so it never really gets cold enough for FI to be mandatory. :D

• Locked thread