Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
My Best Buy was a bluray mecca for a while. The last few months now the selection just seems to dwindle. I'm wondering if all the blurays are in boxes in the back and everyone keeps forgetting to put them on shelves. One of my local WalMarts doesn't even have a dedicated BluRay section, they just throw them in on the DVD sections. It's a little awkward, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Agreed posted:

Anyway - bolded the important part. Would the difference between 24p and 25p turn 83 minutes into 78 minutes? There aren't any other cuts than the two IMDB lists, right?
Well, IMDb isn't perfect. Unless a user contributes it, there isn't much information listed about a film besides what's true in its home country and the U.S. So let's say the Swedish film board (I don't know anything about how Sweden classifies/censors/doesn't censor its movies) demands cuts be made. Cuts are made, but not the same cuts as in the U.S. because they're less sensitive to certain things than the MPAA is.

It's really hard to know for certain what happened there.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
At 25fps, an 83 minutes film would only be about three seconds shorter.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
No it wouldn't. A film that runs 83 minutes at 24 fps would run 79 minutes and 40 seconds (and 20 frames) at 25fps.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Oooh...modfight!

*defuses situation*

After watching some more of it, I'm pretty sure it's the uncensored version. Sorry for the page-long derail guys.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

OldSenileGuy posted:

No it wouldn't. A film that runs 83 minutes at 24 fps would run 79 minutes and 40 seconds (and 20 frames) at 25fps.

I'm good at maths :downs: Yeah, I meant three minutes, but that would require me to be not stupid

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tora! Tora! Tora! came out in the UK today and is supposedly a) region free and b) a good transfer.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ugh, the cover art for Twilight Zone Season 1 is horrid.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sporadic posted:

Ugh, the cover art for Twilight Zone Season 1 is horrid.

Ehhh... it could be better, but I don't think it's offensively bad.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Digital Bits posted:

Warner has now officially announced The Goonies: 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition on DVD and Blu-ray for release on 11/2 (SRP $39.92 and $49.99). Special features on both versions will include cast commentary with director Richard Donner and all seven actors, The Making of The Goonies documentary, Cyndi Lauper The Goonies 'R Good Enough music video, deleted scenes and the theatrical trailer. So not much new on the disc itself, other than the new HD transfer and 5.1 lossless audio. However, the packaging will include "an exciting new board game, collectible storyboard prints, a 1985 souvenir magazine with captivating behind-the-scenes stories about the actual filming in Astoria, Oregon, including the production design that transformed Astoria into the "Goon Docks," and a reprint of a 2009 article with updates of the entire cast, as well as producer Steven Spielberg and director Richard Donner."

I don't like the movie, but I think this is the first "big box of crap" release I've seen that actually has cool stuff in it.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't like the movie, but I think this is the first "big box of crap" release I've seen that actually has cool stuff in it.
If the actual Goonies movie inside is just in a regular blu-ray case, I'm sold.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space_Butler posted:

If the actual Goonies movie inside is just in a regular blu-ray case, I'm sold.

It won't be, but Target will supposedly have an exclusive release in a regular case.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
For anyone who's into stupid Asian bullshit, Best Buy is getting 3 exclusive releases from Dragon Dynasty tomorrow: Kill Zone, Tai Chi Master and Legend of the Black Scorpion.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Bambi posted:

For anyone who's into stupid Asian bullshit, Best Buy is getting 3 exclusive releases from Dragon Dynasty tomorrow: Kill Zone, Tai Chi Master and Legend of the Black Scorpion.

Don't avoid these because they're "stupid Asian bullshit," avoid them because Dragon Dynasty put out terrible, :effort: Blu-rays consistently.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Amazon is having a "High-Def Week" in the Gold Box, with some sales on Blu-ray movies, home theater equipment and video games. At the time of this writing, the complete Battlestar Galactica is on sale until 9 am PST or they run out. After that is the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon / Curse of the Golden Flower / House of Flying Daggers trilogy, and later today they'll have the Austin Powers collection and the collector's edition of I Am Legend. Later this week, there will be National Geographic's Extreme, National Geographic's Sea Monsters, the Ultimate Matrix Collection, John Adams, Wrestlemania XXV, The Universe and The Prisoner.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
House of Flying Daggers looks terrible though.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
That reminds me: Dear New Line: Release the first Austin Powers as a standalone.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

theradiostillsucks posted:

Don't avoid these because they're "stupid Asian bullshit," avoid them because Dragon Dynasty put out terrible, :effort: Blu-rays consistently.

God drat it, really? The cinematography of Chinese formalist films is often really, really amazing; Legend of the Black Scorpion has some of the most amazing use of color I've ever seen on film (plus it's a really good re-imagining of Hamlet, too!) When you say they're "terrible :effort:" releases, what does that entail? I'll put up with a lack of extras or whatever, but the video quality... bad?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Agreed posted:

God drat it, really? The cinematography of Chinese formalist films is often really, really amazing; Legend of the Black Scorpion has some of the most amazing use of color I've ever seen on film (plus it's a really good re-imagining of Hamlet, too!) When you say they're "terrible :effort:" releases, what does that entail? I'll put up with a lack of extras or whatever, but the video quality... bad?

Bad is an understatement. It ranges from complete gently caress-up to :effort:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/killer4.htm

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/36thchamber.htm

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/fistoflegend/zoom/fistoflegend.htm

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Jesus Christ, 36 Chambers' WC DVD looks better than the BD. What the hell is wrong with them? Interlaced transfers? Why why why why :cry:

Edit: At least Fist of Legend looks like it's worth buying over the DVDs. If that level of quality is what I can expect out of the new crop then there's a good chance I'll pick them up. What's going on with the company, anyway? Are they broke?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 8, 2010

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Agreed posted:

What's going on with the company, anyway? Are they broke?

That's pretty much it from what I've heard. It also doesn't help that they let Bey Logan go; I've never listened to one of his commentaries and don't feel qualified to comment on his knowledge of Asian film, but lots of fans seemed to like him and found him well-informed, and he was pretty much the brand's ambassador. Dragon Dynasty also pulled some pretty funny shenanigans on their Facebook page, threatening to remove the ability for fans to leave comments after so many people poo poo on them and left comments talking about canceling their DD BD preorders after the DVD Beaver reviews shed light on just how lovely their efforts have been thus far. It's a shame, too, because even with the home video market doing lovely someone would surely have been willing to pick up some of the bigger titles in their catalog (i.e., the John Woo, Jackie Chan and Jet Li stuff) and given them a proper release.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Connellingus posted:

Amazon is having a "High-Def Week" in the Gold Box, with some sales on Blu-ray movies, home theater equipment and video games. At the time of this writing, the complete Battlestar Galactica is on sale until 9 am PST or they run out. After that is the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon / Curse of the Golden Flower / House of Flying Daggers trilogy, and later today they'll have the Austin Powers collection and the collector's edition of I Am Legend. Later this week, there will be National Geographic's Extreme, National Geographic's Sea Monsters, the Ultimate Matrix Collection, John Adams, Wrestlemania XXV, The Universe and The Prisoner.

Do you know how much the I Am Legend deal is? I know it's normally 40$ from amazon so I'm hopeful for at least 10$ off.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Fox is releasing White Collar S1 on 7/13.

They are, of course, shoving 14 episodes on 3 discs like they did to Burn Notice S2. :nixon:

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Noxville posted:

Sucks that they're still encoding things at 25fps though, I don't understand the point of that since HDTVs can handle 24fps no problem.
It's cheaper for the local distributor to use the 25fps master they already have for DVD and HD-broadcast, rather than obtaining a 24fps version solely for the Blu-Ray.

Which is also why 1080i releases tend to be solely confined to discs that have yet to be released in the US, and/or titles with more complex distribution rights than <local division of Fox/Sony>.

So there can either be an issue with availability of a 1080p24, or it can just be a case of saving money -- look at Village Roadshow making GBS threads out a Region B 1080i Pulp Fiction, as opposed to France, Denmark and Sweden releasing 1080p versions (and they're all PAL markets).

There's nothing stopping them converting a 25fps master back to 24fps, but that still has a cost, and then you end up with weird poo poo like those Studio Canal discs that play at 1080p24 but have stretched audio tracks that somehow have PAL-pitched vocals at NTSC-speed.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 9, 2010

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bambi posted:

Looks like Fox took a minor dump on The Illusionist which is due this coming Tuesday. It's a barebones BD-25 - there are special features, but only on the included DVD copy of the movie. There are also no subtitles on the Blu-Ray :confused:

Just to add to this, DVDBeaver says it's the exact same disc as the Alliance release, bilingual menus and all. Just buy that one if you want it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've read the reviews, but does anyone have any first hand accounts on how Fistful/Few Dollars More look in the new box set?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Are there any plans for the Kieslowski Three Colors Trilogy, or City of Lost Children and Delicatessen?

Outside of Red, which I caught on film once, I've only seen these movies on video tape. I'd really like to see them properly.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

DVDBeaver reviews:

Showgirls (surprisingly little nudity)
The Aviator
Everlasting Moments
The Illusionist
Crimson Tide

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

a foolish pianist posted:

Are there any plans for the Kieslowski Three Colors Trilogy, or City of Lost Children and Delicatessen?

Outside of Red, which I caught on film once, I've only seen these movies on video tape. I'd really like to see them properly.
Studio Canal is dropping a Delicatessen blu-ray in September, along with The Graduate, The Third Man, Le Cercle Rouge, Mulholland Drive, and The Pianist.
http://bluray.ign.com/articles/108/1086631p1.html

And Jeunet has said on his blog that Sony Pictures Classic is working on a City of Lost Children blu-ray. No idea of a release date timeframe though.
http://www.jpjeunet-siteofficiel.com/blog/?p=229

There is apparently a Swedish blu-ray release of the Three Colors trilogy in the works for October, but it probably won't have English subs. Don't think there's anything in development beyond that.
http://www.discshop.se/shop/ds_produkt.php?lang=&id=68318&lang=se&subsite=movies&&ref=

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Anyone have any idea of the chances of Cassavetes' stuff on blu-ray? I have a hard time imagining that the source material would benefit from the upgrade, but I'm considering getting the 5-disc Criterion set and I wanted to see if there's been any rumours.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

nemesis_hub posted:

Anyone have any idea of the chances of Cassavetes' stuff on blu-ray? I have a hard time imagining that the source material would benefit from the upgrade, but I'm considering getting the 5-disc Criterion set and I wanted to see if there's been any rumours.

I wouldn't expect it any time soon. Cassavetes was never too concerned with visuals, and his films aren't crying out for a hi-def presentation. I would bet that if Criterion ever does get around to releasing his stuff on Blu, they'll cherry-pick Woman Under the Influence and Faces instead of upgrading the whole set.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

DVDBeaver reviews:

Showgirls (surprisingly little nudity)
The Aviator
Everlasting Moments
The Illusionist
Crimson Tide

I want to get the Crimson Tide blu-ray now. :)

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

I really like how they are trying to get blurays out a lot sooner after the movies hit theaters. It didn't take that long for Alice in Wonderland to come out and if Amazon.com is to be believed they will have The Losers out on bluray two months after it was released in theaters.

I really like this. I get impatient waiting for the bluray after seeing an awesome movie.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Volcasarus ReX posted:

I really like how they are trying to get blurays out a lot sooner after the movies hit theaters. It didn't take that long for Alice in Wonderland to come out and if Amazon.com is to be believed they will have The Losers out on bluray two months after it was released in theaters.

I really like this. I get impatient waiting for the bluray after seeing an awesome movie.

Alice in Wonderland iirc was going to come out even sooner, but the theaters went nuclear.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Going back a few weeks, I forgot how bleak War of the Worlds is.

As for the bluray, the sound is incredible. The picture goes back and forth between amazing and way-too-much-Spielberg-grain. There's a shot in the backyard before the aliens that looks like it was archive footage from the 20's.

I'm usually not one to bitch about grain, but it's off the charts in this movie.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Going back a few weeks, I forgot how bleak War of the Worlds is.

As for the bluray, the sound is incredible. The picture goes back and forth between amazing and way-too-much-Spielberg-grain. There's a shot in the backyard before the aliens that looks like it was archive footage from the 20's.

I'm usually not one to bitch about grain, but it's off the charts in this movie.

That's just how Spielberg rolls. I wonder if it's affected at all by the fact that he still edits his films the old fashioned way (literally cutting the film and taping them together).

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I watched Happy Together and Ashes of Time back-to-back, and later I might top it off with Institute Benjamenta.

Today is a good day.

Does Sony still hold home video distribution rights to 2046?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Richard Kelly tweeted this a few days ago:

quote:

Just recorded an interview for the upcoming MULHOLLAND DRIVE Blu-ray :) Thanks to @studiocanal for including me!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bambi posted:

Guess it's time to sell my import while I still can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Bambi posted:

This is insanely awesome because I just watched this for the first time last night (also my first Lynch) and I loved the poo poo out of it and was heartbroken when I didn't see any listing at all for a Blu-ray. Anyone know when this is supposed to come out?

• Locked thread