Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Ringo R posted:

Apply a tiny bit of monochromatic gaussian noise to it before saving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

There's just about nothing you can do to save solids and gradients from jpeg compression, you can just make it not as bad. PNG is the way to go.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Silly question perhaps but do printers print png? I'm going to have this printed and don't want them to go "wtf png get out".

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Ringo R posted:

Silly question perhaps but do printers print png? I'm going to have this printed and don't want them to go "wtf png get out".

You should give them tiff files. Yes - that is exactly what I say when people give me png.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Yeah, TIFF would be better for print. I was thinking you wanted this for web when I suggested PNG.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Ringo R posted:

I'm having trouble getting a smooth gradient. It looks fine and smooth in Photoshop but once saved as jpeg it looks like poo poo.
To be on the safe side you should probably dither the gradient or as pointed out above add some monochromatic noise. JPG is just one of the potential sources of banding. Printers can do that to your image too.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

There's just about nothing you can do to save solids and gradients from jpeg compression, you can just make it not as bad. PNG is the way to go.

You can do an inverted High Pass on the gradient/solid areas.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Thanks guys!

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

orange lime posted:

Zoom in to 400% and use the polygonal lasso pen tool, turn that into a layer mask...

Fixed that for you. Tweaking and refining an edge selection with paths is so much easier and more flexible than with lassos. I can't remember the last time I used a lasso for anything other than the very roughest work.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

SirRobin posted:

Fixed that for you. Tweaking and refining an edge selection with paths is so much easier and more flexible than with lassos. I can't remember the last time I used a lasso for anything other than the very roughest work.

Eh, I think it depends on what you're used to. Once you get in the groove of add/remove/intersect selection, I find that the polygonal lasso works a lot better for pixel-level stuff. The pen is great if what you're selecting has a geometric curve, but when you have to start masking around things like leaves you're adding so many control points that you might as well be using the lasso in the first place. To each his own, though.

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

orange lime posted:

Eh, I think it depends on what you're used to. Once you get in the groove of add/remove/intersect selection, I find that the polygonal lasso works a lot better for pixel-level stuff. The pen is great if what you're selecting has a geometric curve, but when you have to start masking around things like leaves you're adding so many control points that you might as well be using the lasso in the first place. To each his own, though.
The option to tweak a path at the control points and save them for later for later wins in my book. I used to be a dedicated lasso user but not any more. Leaves, though, are a different matter. You're right - paths are not good for edges that fiddly. But in masking leaves I would be looking to pull a mask out of a channel before I ever thought of lassos.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are there any good tutorials on masking and things related to it? I only have a very loose grip on the concepts of masking and what you can do with them.

Ideally I want to learn how to mask well, and the various things I can do with masking.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
There are different ways of creating a mask and they seem to be all over the place in Photoshop. Here's a page that covers 4 of the tools:
http://www.lazymask.com/image-masking-tutorial.html

I'd definitely add the Select/Color Range menu item to that list as well. Once you've got a mask play around with all the commands in the Select menu which act on the mask.

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Give me beauty or give me death!
I'm after a little advice on just what the hell I should do with this photo.
I took it a long while ago when I first got my DSLR and was quiet happy to have pulled off the shot, but now, looking back at it I'm kicking myself that I wasn't shooting in RAW :(
I have not idea what else I can do to it to really make it stand out. I'm also not too sure about the crop.
I'd love some advice and some feedback!

There's two.. slight variations..

I hope these aren't too massive.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Honestly I'd clone out the dark colored bird. The color scheme is much nicer with just the two orange ones.

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Give me beauty or give me death!

rockcity posted:

Honestly I'd clone out the dark colored bird. The color scheme is much nicer with just the two orange ones.

Hmm, I kind of liked the black bird, in my mind it just gave it something different.
But here's how it looks without the black, just a quick spot heal. I quiet like it actually, but I'll need to re-crop on one version of it as the two orange birds look odd stuck in the center.

What do you think?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
How the heck do I learn how to craft composite shots? I want to learn the photoshop side of some of Dave Hill's latest campaign shoots, and it's all just individual shots stitched together.

Rather than just say lasso + lots of layers + lots of masks, I want to learrrrrnn.

I've been specifically looking at his MGM Wet Republic Ad shoot, in his Behind the Scenes shoot here http://www.davehillphoto.com/bts/

Please note, this isn't a "How do I Dave Hill?" post, I'm just using his as an example of a well done composite :)

Here's a bunch more I've admired over the years: http://www.v1gallery.com/artist/show/3

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I tried doing a street scene like that once and didn't realize you had to have a constant aperture and manual focus otherwise the light pole in the foreground would sometimes be in focus and sometimes be oof. That's two hours of my life I'll never get back.
e:typo

spf3million fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 14, 2010

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I've been trying to really put the time into post-processing recently to a point where I'm spending hours on certain photos. For the photo below I've separated the picture into 3 parts (bird, wood, background) and adjusted each separately. Is this what I should do? Does it make the photo look like a frankenstein image? Are there other adjustments that I should be making?

Cropped original from RAW:

Post-processing:

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

I am pretty unskilled with Photoshop since I have not played with it in years, but just got CS5 and decided to dive in head first.

I am also doing my first panorama, so I am a novice all around. I bumped up the greens around the town on the left hand side. They were pretty pale compared to the blue of the ocean. I am not sure if I should try to do anything with the inner rim of the volcano and trees inside it. They are pretty dark since the side I was standing on was casting quite the shadow.

How would I best go about making the inner edge stand out less?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

DevNull posted:

I am pretty unskilled with Photoshop since I have not played with it in years, but just got CS5 and decided to dive in head first.

I am also doing my first panorama, so I am a novice all around. I bumped up the greens around the town on the left hand side. They were pretty pale compared to the blue of the ocean. I am not sure if I should try to do anything with the inner rim of the volcano and trees inside it. They are pretty dark since the side I was standing on was casting quite the shadow.

How would I best go about making the inner edge stand out less?

A bit of light dodging to brighten it up a little?

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Anyone download and install Adobe Lightroom 3 yet? I just bought my copy from adobe.com, and I'm still waiting on my serial number (they need to verify my educational discount first).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Anyone download and install Adobe Lightroom 3 yet? I just bought my copy from adobe.com, and I'm still waiting on my serial number (they need to verify my educational discount first).

Yeah-- Haven't had too much time to play with it yet though, but it doesn't appear to actually be any faster than 2.whatever. The most exciting thing for me was how well the noise reduction works, I probably won't even be using NoiseNinja again.

There are very few lens correction settings pre-built in though :(.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The most exciting thing is that I will never have to use Capture One again for my own shoots.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Shmoogy posted:

Yeah-- Haven't had too much time to play with it yet though, but it doesn't appear to actually be any faster than 2.whatever. The most exciting thing for me was how well the noise reduction works, I probably won't even be using NoiseNinja again.

There are very few lens correction settings pre-built in though :(.

Photoshop CS5 seems to have all of my lenses covered, but I don't have anything too exotic. I hope they're accessing the same library.

And, by the way, in CS5/the new version of Raw or whatever, I'm a little skeeved out by the way Adobe seems to be handling the whole lens correction profiles thing. The community calibration tool (or whatever they're calling it) does not seem really exhaustive in terms of gathering lens data, and the interface to access submitted profiles makes my brain hurt. It's not really clear which (if any) profiles were created "professionally" by Adobe.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

And, by the way, in CS5/the new version of Raw or whatever, I'm a little skeeved out by the way Adobe seems to be handling the whole lens correction profiles thing. The community calibration tool (or whatever they're calling it) does not seem really exhaustive in terms of gathering lens data, and the interface to access submitted profiles makes my brain hurt. It's not really clear which (if any) profiles were created "professionally" by Adobe.

Yea, the lens correction feature was what I was most interested in seeing, but until someone creates a profile for the Tamron 17-50 it's essentially useless to me. Looks like someone finally got at least one Tamron lens in there so hopefully it'll happen soon.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

I've been specifically looking at his MGM Wet Republic Ad shoot, in his Behind the Scenes shoot here http://www.davehillphoto.com/bts/

He's using Cyber Syncs. I thought all of the pros used PW.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Cyberbob posted:

How the heck do I learn how to craft composite shots? I want to learn the photoshop side of some of Dave Hill's latest campaign shoots, and it's all just individual shots stitched together.

Rather than just say lasso + lots of layers + lots of masks, I want to learrrrrnn.

Please note, this isn't a "How do I Dave Hill?" post, I'm just using his as an example of a well done composite :)

Here's a bunch more I've admired over the years: http://www.v1gallery.com/artist/show/3

I'm getting ready to do an in depth compositing writeup this weekend about this shot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_chompers/4637501114/sizes/o/

I'll post a link in here when complete.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

This is a pretty amateur question so hopefully someone can help. In my career as a photographer I have never really had to worry about lighting, but I have been experimenting with more studio type of stuff lately and I cannot figure it out. There is a pretty harsh shadow around the head of this gentleman, and while I could probably fix it by placing the lights different that isn't really possible right now so I want to know about what other options I may have.

Actual question: Is there a way to select around his hair without it being super choppy and obvious?

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Move him away from the wall.

For selecting hair the way I prefer to do is work in the channels to make a mask with an Alpha channel. The basic idea is you choose a channel with high contrast between the background and subject (or you create one) which makes creating the selection much easier. Then you can convert the alpha channel to a selection.

I didn't watch this all the way through but seems like the same way I do it and covers a few different images:
http://www.tutvid.com/tutorials/photoshop/tutorials/selectionHair.php

brad industry fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 9, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Bojanglesworth posted:

Actual question: Is there a way to select around his hair without it being super choppy and obvious?

A very carefully hand-painted layer mask. There are tools that will automate parts of it pretty well (mess with the refine edge tools for instance), but for the highest quality in a selection like that, you're going to want to be painting in each hair individually.

VVVV You're probably right, but I'm still unable to get things masked properly with the channels. If you can put up a basic tutorial on how you'd mask that out with channels -- especially given that it's monochrome -- I'd love to see it.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 9, 2010

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I think hand painted masks are actually worse than creatively using the channels. Besides, what the hell would you do if you had to do cutouts for a catalog or something? Paint hundreds of individual hair strands for hundreds of images?

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"
brad did you get your calibration situation resolved? I need a solution for 10.6 as well because I just finally got an IPS monitor.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I still can't get the Pantone Huey software to work on my Mac Pro, but it works fine on all the 10.6 iMacs I've worked on at studios so I'm not sure what the deal is. I need to call support :(

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Where should I start to learn the more advanced photoshop stuff?

Any good book or online recommendations?

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

Anyone else played with Lightroom 3 much?

I've been pleasantly surprised by just how much better the Noise reduction is compared to 2.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

So this is just a test really, trying to improve my touching up. Ignore the background and lovely masking trying to get that white, I was concentrating more on the face.

Thoughts on this? How does the skin look? Anything I'm missing that's obvious?

Been reading and watching alot of stuff on touching up, and thinking about it in steps has really helped me alot, I started with the basic stuff like exposure, contrast, then moved onto blemishes, shadows, skin etc.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

I think that's really good. I especially appreciate boosting the exposure around the eyes. I think you did a good job smoothing out the skin without giving it too much of the airbrushed look.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
My eyes were drawn to the dark spot next to the right side of her lip. That's the only flaw my amateur eyes noticed. It's not even a flaw, because it's in the original, but something about the touch up around it make it look almost unnatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

fronkpies posted:

So this is just a test really, trying to improve my touching up. Ignore the background and lovely masking trying to get that white, I was concentrating more on the face.

Thoughts on this? How does the skin look? Anything I'm missing that's obvious?

Been reading and watching alot of stuff on touching up, and thinking about it in steps has really helped me alot, I started with the basic stuff like exposure, contrast, then moved onto blemishes, shadows, skin etc.

Looks great! Did you shoot that against a wall or a backdrop? What color? Her right shoulder looks ever so slightly blown out, but I imagine that was part of trying to lighten up the rest of the photo. Doesn't look bad, just something I noticed.

• Locked thread