Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Flipswitch posted:

Pretty much this, with Mr Pin being the slightly quieter and more sinister sounding one.

With a hint of weedy but oily feeling to his voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verimus
Oct 1, 2009
Cheers for the suggestions. I missed Going Postal (What with being in the wrong hemisphere and all) but this almost made up for it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vffl7NWmso&playnext_from=TL&videos=T_uCeVqC31s

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Verimus posted:

Cheers for the suggestions. I missed Going Postal (What with being in the wrong hemisphere and all) but this almost made up for it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vffl7NWmso&playnext_from=TL&videos=T_uCeVqC31s

This is fantastic and needs a .GIF of it.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This is amazing

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Verimus posted:

So, I'm in a production of The Truth as Mr. Tulip...
There's only two actual fans on the cast, so I get to spend all my time gleefuly correcting the director as he tries to direct. For example, he was trying to get the guy playing Vimes (Who is pretty rubbish, nowhere near what Vimes should be) to sound like a policeman and he used the term "slighty corrupt". I sprang to my feet and explained Vimes to him for about ten minutes. If the director wasn't a mate of mine I don't think I would've made it through the first rehearsal (There was an argument on the correct pronuciation of Boddony)

Anyone else been in/seen any other stage adaptations?

I would argue Vimes is "slightly corrupt", but that he keeps it on the level of the occasional free beer, maybe a donut or a hot dog that just greases the wheels. Anything more than that is pounded on by Detritus.

It's just like a lot of gas stations that give cheap or free coffee to cops, makes them less likely to be robbed as there's almost always a cop there.

Verimus
Oct 1, 2009

seaborgium posted:

I would argue Vimes is "slightly corrupt", but that he keeps it on the level of the occasional free beer, maybe a donut or a hot dog that just greases the wheels. Anything more than that is pounded on by Detritus.

It's just like a lot of gas stations that give cheap or free coffee to cops, makes them less likely to be robbed as there's almost always a cop there.

Good point, but that's not the sort of corruption he was thinking about I'll wager. He has read one or two of the books I think.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Vocally, I'd pitch Mr Tulip somewhere between John Hurt and Ray Winstone, with the rasp coming from his platonic state of rage and accidental substance experiments.

Edit: Full costume picture and close up of potato would be -ing appreciated.

rejutka fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 8, 2010

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Finally got around to watching Going Postal; it was pretty solid. I didn't like that Angua kept growling and then turned into a wolf, I thought she never let anyone see her "change"? Ridcully definitely needed to be more buff looking, it looked like they just cast "generic wizard" instead of looking into the character at all.

Also, do you Englanders actually say "Aink" (like the ai in pain I guess) Morpork instead of "Onk" Morpork?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Ank, like ankle or pancreas.

I'm Irish though.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Nilbop posted:

Ank, like ankle or pancreas.

I'm Irish though.

Yeah this is it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If you aren't pronouncing it Aihnk Moarhpoark you need to get you need to get your Discworld more on.

Read Men At Arms! like right now.

Verimus
Oct 1, 2009

rejutka posted:

Vocally, I'd pitch Mr Tulip somewhere between John Hurt and Ray Winstone, with the rasp coming from his platonic state of rage and accidental substance experiments.

Edit: Full costume picture and close up of potato would be -ing appreciated.

I will when see my costume in about a month. Still wondering about how to do the Potato.

Edit: What do you mean, got my own part mixed up? Ludicrous.

Verimus fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 10, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Mister Roboto is there any way I can contact you outside of this thread to discuss sending you some of my books?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Mister Roboto is there any way I can contact you outside of this thread to discuss sending you some of my books?

Sure thing!

noretkgj34434314@gmail.com

Or do you have AIM?

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 21, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Alright I sent you an email.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Verimus posted:

Good point, but that's not the sort of corruption he was thinking about I'll wager. He has read one or two of the books I think.

Probably a better example would be to say that he's the Jack McCoy of Discworld. He is a highly law-abiding man, but he is more than willing to bend the law backwards until it's almost turning back in on itself if it means he'll stop someone truly nasty from going free.

Verimus
Oct 1, 2009

Vermain posted:

Probably a better example would be to say that he's the Jack McCoy of Discworld. He is a highly law-abiding man, but he is more than willing to bend the law backwards until it's almost turning back in on itself if it means he'll stop someone truly nasty from going free.

That just might work, thanks.

I'm helping with props at the moment and the gonne is giving us a little trouble. Actual gonnes were essentially small canons on blocks of wood which might not work.
Ideas like 'Dirty Harry style revolver crossed with a small crossbow' are being thrown around. Any ideas?

Is the jump from only one gonne to something that's apparently common enough that everyone recognises it as a weapon ever explained? 'cause Leonard would never make another and the only one is a hunk of twisted metal in acting constable Cuddy's grave.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Remembering Leonard's fiddling with the firework rocket launcher in Jingo, I saw it as a six-shooter, except the bullets are actually mini-fireworks(fin stablized!) with very short fuses sticking out, lighted by a flint and the whole thing is shaped essentially like a crossbow without the bow part and a long tube down the center in place of the bolt slot. With the revolver thing containing the missiles in the hand grip.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Verimus posted:

Is the jump from only one gonne to something that's apparently common enough that everyone recognises it as a weapon ever explained? 'cause Leonard would never make another and the only one is a hunk of twisted metal in acting constable Cuddy's grave.

One of the clever things Pratchett tends to write is that once an idea is seen by the public, it spreads like wildfire. For example, the werewolf-in-the-watch, which started off as a big secret in the early watch books, but then by the time of The Truth, the rumor had spread around the city for William to hear. And then, after that, by the time of Thud! the criminals then in turn have used the rumor that you can use scent bombs against the watch.

It's like an ideas arms race, and it makes the world more "real".

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Also the Agatean Empire had barking dogs (cannons) and it would be fair to assume that, since Rincewind's visit, other people had gone there, come back, and told their travel stories.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Verimus posted:

That just might work, thanks.

I'm helping with props at the moment and the gonne is giving us a little trouble. Actual gonnes were essentially small canons on blocks of wood which might not work.
Ideas like 'Dirty Harry style revolver crossed with a small crossbow' are being thrown around. Any ideas?

Actual gonnes were indeed basically handcannons, but this one is made by Leonard de Quirm, who devised nukes ("certain rare metals react very violently to being squeezed") in an attempt to help miners. He's not going to be at home to the word "Crude". It's also characterised as very sleek and seductive and basically described as a thin metal rod on top of a crossbow stock. I actually quite liked the version on the front of this cover, even though it really looks like a modern hunting rifle.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mister Roboto posted:

One of the clever things Pratchett tends to write is that once an idea is seen by the public, it spreads like wildfire. For example, the werewolf-in-the-watch, which started off as a big secret in the early watch books, but then by the time of The Truth, the rumor had spread around the city for William to hear. And then, after that, by the time of Thud! the criminals then in turn have used the rumor that you can use scent bombs against the watch.

And that everyone automatically assumes that it's Nobby.

Alvie
May 22, 2008

Verimus posted:

I'm pretty sure at one point in Men At Arms, Vimes finds a cylinder from the gonne. I believe it's described as a bunch of metal tubes stuck together, which sounds to me more or less like the cylinder of a revolver. Also, whenever somebody sees the gonne from afar, they refer to it as looking like a black stick. Between those two things, I always imagined the gonne as basically a revolver with a really long barrel, like a rifle but with a revolver grip.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Alvie posted:

I'm pretty sure at one point in Men At Arms, Vimes finds a cylinder from the gonne. I believe it's described as a bunch of metal tubes stuck together, which sounds to me more or less like the cylinder of a revolver.

Nope, it's described as being like a set of pan-pipes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I always found the American minimalist covers to be interesting. They are...artistic, yes, and they all definitely show the artist read the book (thematically, they fit) but I'm not sure they really get the feeling of Discworld across.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The American-style cover for Feet of Clay is actually a spoiler, but you don't realize that until after you've read the book. It's pretty brilliant if it's intentional. The cover features a candle

e: it must be intentional. Vimes even comments in the book that that the poison being in the candles was so 'hidden-in-plain-sight' that no one would notice it. Putting a candle on the cover is exactly that

I'm buying all Discworld books with those covers, up until I reach the books with Kidby's cover art, which starts with The Truth, I believe?

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 11, 2010

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Truth and Thief of Time are both still Josh Kirby; Paul Kidby's cover art doesn't start until after.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I really need to buy a poster from Paul Kidbys website one of these days.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
To coincide with that other cup that's going on in the world today:

http://www.discworldcup.co.uk/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Come on you Men At Arms!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Flatscan posted:

Nope, it's described as being like a set of pan-pipes.

I think either one would work, but basically it needs to just look like dark metal and look dangerous and people will get the idea.

There were quite a few actual weapons made that were like what you pictured, but also some cylindrical ones as well. Perhaps something similar to the first revolvers, but sleeker and possibly with some minor engravings on it as decoration.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Nilbop posted:

To coincide with that other cup that's going on in the world today:

http://www.discworldcup.co.uk/

Group A: The Truth
Group B: The Fifth Elephant
Group C: Making Money
Group D: Guards! Guards!
Group E: Reaper Man
Group F: Night Watch
Group G: Thud!
Group H: Small Gods

I'm thinking Night Watch will make it all the way.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Group A: The Truth
Group B: The Fifth Elephant
Group C: Making Money
Group D: Guards! Guards!
Group E: Reaper Man
Group F: Night Watch
Group G: Thud!
Group H: Small Gods

I'm thinking Night Watch will make it all the way.

Semifinals 2, Small Gods vs. Night Watch, is going to be the real final. I can't imagine any on the left coming close to beating either of those two.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Loutre posted:

Semifinals 2, Small Gods vs. Night Watch, is going to be the real final. I can't imagine any on the left coming close to beating either of those two.

I could see Guards! being a close contender, but yeah, probably Night Watch in the end.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I think Making Money could give Night Watch a run for the money.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

seaborgium posted:

Really? Going Postal seems the superior Moist story to me. On the other hand, one of the problems with ranking Discworld books is that even mediocre books can have fantastic individual scenes that lift it up to competitive levels.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

seaborgium posted:

Feet of Clay is up by 4% (+/- 3%) over Making Money right now though :ohdear:. That winner will have to contend with Guards! which is destroying Group D.

Actually, it's really a contest over the best Watch book...

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

quote:

Long Earth Announcement!

'Transworld Publishers are delighted to announce an exciting new collaboration between Sir Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

Sir Terry Pratchett first developed his vision of a chain of parallel worlds, The Long Earth, in an unfinished novel and two short stories in 1986, after writing Equal Rites, the third novel in what would turn into the hugely successful Discworld series. Now, at last, this long-gestating concept is to see the light of day in two as-yet-untitled books written in collaboration with Stephen Baxter, author of Flood, Ark and the Time’s Tapestry and Destiny’s Children series.

‘Our Earth is but one of a chain of parallel worlds, each differing from its neighbours by a little (or a lot) in an infinite landscape of infinite possibilities. And you can just step from one world to the next…’

The deal was brokered through Colin Smythe and Ralph Vicinanza and the first Long Earth novel is due to be published by Doubleday in spring 2012.

Additionally, Sir Terry Pratchett has recently completed I Shall Wear Midnight, the fourth in the Tiffany Aching books, to be published in September, and is already at work on his next Discworld novel for publication in autumn 2011. Number 37 in the series, Unseen Academicals, has just come out in Corgi paperback.'

I'm feeling rather excited about this, I like Baxters books, they make for solid hard sci-fi. Plus I have alwasy wanted more sci-fi from Pratchett, though it's been ages since I read Strata or Dark Side of the Sun.

Also, this turned up on Paul Kidbys facebook page and made me laugh, he's always posting new drawings on there so it's worth following.

Click here for the full 622x720 image.

Cool, but not necessarily up to date.

Jekub fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 15, 2010

Verimus
Oct 1, 2009

Jekub posted:

Click here for the full 622x720 image.

Cool, but not necessarily up to date.

The Monks of Cool? Fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Really? Going Postal seems the superior Moist story to me. On the other hand, one of the problems with ranking Discworld books is that even mediocre books can have fantastic individual scenes that lift it up to competitive levels.

I agree Going Postal is superior, but the bracket is setup against Small Gods first, and that could be a tough one. Although if Going Postal can beat that it's definitely got a shot against Night Watch.