Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I am going to need to replace the tires on my 2000 2.5RS, does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for? Looking at getting some decent all seasons as I don't have anywhere to store a 2nd set of tires. Living in the pacific northwest so we get a decent amount of rain and the odd bit of snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Bridgestone RE960's were the consensus high-performance all-seasons when I checked last year, and I've been really happy with them on my WRX. Nice dry and wet performance, and they handled last winter in WI no problem.

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007

ab0z posted:

You should get the eco badge.

gently caress yeah i am. i dunno how i didnt think of it when i was ordering it :downs: im going to try to paint the leaf "cherry blossom red" if atall possible. hopefully the screenprint isnt under resin or something
i ordered another set with every single badge with my now scrapped loyale's vin. its nice to keep old registration and insurance papers around. want to also put LGBT's on other peoples cars

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Dread Head posted:

I am going to need to replace the tires on my 2000 2.5RS, does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for? Looking at getting some decent all seasons as I don't have anywhere to store a 2nd set of tires. Living in the pacific northwest so we get a decent amount of rain and the odd bit of snow.

These Continental tires seem to be getting very good reviews right now on Tire Rack. And they're $41 less per tire than the RE960's ($100 vs. $141 per corner). And they have a higher wear rating.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Captain Crabsticks posted:

bonus pic of my bitchin sidepipe and terrible peice of scrap (gently caress you TurboLuvah) the badge is going on

Ahahahaha love you too :angel:

Also, don't know how I feel about the badges yet, I'll have to check them out in person on cars.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 4, 2010

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Amandyke posted:

These Continental tires seem to be getting very good reviews right now on Tire Rack. And they're $41 less per tire than the RE960's ($100 vs. $141 per corner). And they have a higher wear rating.

Yeah I put these on my Mazda 3. I don't know how they are in terms of performance, I've just done regular driving. No complaints though.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

CharlesM posted:

Yeah I put these on my Mazda 3. I don't know how they are in terms of performance, I've just done regular driving. No complaints though.

Well they're rated as Ultra-High Performance All Season, so they better be ok performance wise. But according to the review they are at least as good as the R960's, better in the wet as well. I'd get them if I needed new tires.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've gome through a couple of sets of falken ze-912s and don't have much to complain about. Sidewalls are pretty soft but they have good grip on just anbout everything

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The DWS wear indicator on those Contis is such a good idea that I have no idea how it wasn't thought of earlier.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

warwick5s posted:

The DWS wear indicator on those Contis is such a good idea that I have no idea how it wasn't thought of earlier.

http://www.conti-online.com/generat...en,tabNr=2.html

Holy crap yah, that's just amazing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

warwick5s posted:

I bet because most tires don't do that well in as wide a range of conditions, and aren't advertised as such. Also, if there's only set of indicators, that's asking a lot of the average car driver to check on them once in a while.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Here's a question.

The brakes on the WRX haven't changed past the 08 year right? 08-11 should have the same front brakes on them?

The reason why I'm asking is I know 2002 WRX wheels clear 08 brakes so I am curious as to whether that will remain true on an '11. I have a 2nd set of factory wheels for my 2002 that I'm planning on putting some hardcore winters on and it would be nice to know I could throw them on either car if I needed to (if my 02 needed something fixed or for some reason I wanted to take the '11 out when it was snowy.)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yes that will work just fine. I thankfully have two sets of oem wheels that clear 4-pots. Now I just need some 4-pots

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thanks, now all I have to do is wait for them to release the drat things.

I'm really starting to notice the age of my 02 this year :(. Some of the cloth on the driver's seat has gotten really thin and has even developed a hole in one spot. I mean, for the most part it looks to be in phenomenal shape for a 9 year old car, but it's still a 9 year old car.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I'm really starting to notice the age of my 02 this year :(. Some of the cloth on the driver's seat has gotten really thin and has even developed a hole in one spot. I mean, for the most part it looks to be in phenomenal shape for a 9 year old car, but it's still a 9 year old car.

Hey man, I just bought a 02' as my nice family car. :smith:
Although, anything is an improvement over a 20year old base model Mazda hatchback, right?

Sockington fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 5, 2010

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Don't feel bad. I'm going to have to starting to fight rust on my 02 :suicide:

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

bull3964 posted:

Ehh no biggie, just grab a seat locally off of NASIOC, $150 and an hour later, good as new.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

TurboLuvah posted:

Ehh no biggie, just grab a seat locally off of NASIOC, $150 and an hour later, good as new.
If my seats ever wear out I'm going to the local Japanese parts importer and getting some Japanese WRX seats. So much bolstering, although at the cost of having an unknown number of kilometers of Japanese-guy rear end in it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

They're pretty good seats but you have swapped driver and passengr seats so all the adjustments are on the wrong side. On the other hand you can say it was some sexy japanese lady that was sitting in the seat most of the time.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I took my 06 WRX LTD out and treated the leather with Meguiar's leather Cleaner & conditioner. I never really cared for a car's interior before so I went with this brand since I saw it reccomended on here and by some friends.

I was impressed. I did the rear seats, door cards, and the backs of the driver's seats, but then I had to stop due to rain. Even after several hours the treated parts look clean and shiny with a deep black. The untreated areas look gray and dull by comparison.

I also foamed all of the carpets and floor mats, scrubbed them down with a brush. I was going to do the plastics and glass after the leather, but drat the rain. I need a garage!

Mechanically the car had been great since I got it. Only problem was I was occasionally getting some vibrations and "hard rattling" noises after they put in my new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and flywheel. The noises were coming from the vicinity of the center console, though I could never tell if it was in front or just behind the shifter. Occurring when I was shifting and accelerating into 1st, 2nd, as well as when accelerating around turns, and up hills.

I took it in for them to check out, but they couldn't recreate the problem. I spoke with my dad (a former mechanic) about it and he told me the whole "sometimes you have to wait for it to break before you can fix it". So whatever, I drove it a bit, and would occasionally hear it, but it was never consistent enough to warrant taking it back in.

Well on Thursday it was raining and I drove through a small puddle in this "dip" at the turn to go down my street. Because of the rain and puddle I couldn't really see the location of the dip very well and I bounced on it pretty good. Immediately my car got really loud and was vibrating around like crazy. I panicked and started crying "oh god hydro lock!". But then I calmed down a bit and realized that was a little silly.

So I drove around a bit, and it definitely sounds like I now have an exhaust leak.

My question then is, do they have to remove parts of the exhaust to change the clutch? I am under the impression that they do, but I am not sure. If that is the case, then I am speculating that they didn't put something back on right, and I have been having a bit of a leak and vibration problem (post turbo). Then, when I hit that dip it knocked whatever it was loose completely.

Tomorrow I will have access to jack stands, so I am going to take a look, but I wanted to share this to see if it seems plausible or if I'm totally off base.

The car doesn't have any loss of power, boost or normal operation, other than the loud engine, and vibrating. I had an exhaust leak in one of my jeeps (rust on the top of the pipe! :smith: ) So I am feeling pretty confident here.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sockington posted:

Hey man, I just bought a 02' as my nice family car. :smith:
Although, anything is an improvement over a 20year old base model Mazda hatchback, right?

Well, from my perspective I bought it new in December of 2001, just 7 months after I graduated college. So, since it's been with me since then, it's easy to notice the differences and it's hard to see something I've owned so long (and was my first car I bought with my own money) age.

Slow is Fast posted:

Don't feel bad. I'm going to have to starting to fight rust on my 02 :suicide:

No rust on mine thankfully. Really, there's very little rust on fasteners and stuff too. But my car has been garage kept its entire life.

TurboLuvah posted:

Yeah, I'm not really sure I want to spend that much money on something like that right now. Also, I've had the seats out once before and it was a real pain in the rear end (the fastener for the airbags fought me till my fingers nearly bled.)

But, I'm also getting to the point where I'm either going to have to start putting a non-trivial amount of money back into the car to keep it tip shape or just let it age and become a beater after I buy a new one this fall. For one, I'm sure the suspension is shot by now since I have 106k miles on it and quite a few years autocrossing. It's not something that NEEDS to be done now, but it's something that should be done to keep it good shape.

Some things will come easier though once I have a 2nd car and I don't have to worry about getting stuff done in a single day.

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
ooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo sparkles in my oil.... how pretty :swoon:

it IS possible to kill a 2.2 :toot:

swap time!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I suspect that the EJ22 just threw those off like fighter planes popping chaff in order to make you take it out of the Legacy so it can eventually get turbocharged and kill someone on an ATV.

What's next? Still the EG33 you prepped?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
That ain't pretty oil. This is from 8ender's 2002 Impreza TS I picked up.

This is pretty oil.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Sockington posted:

This is pretty oil.

Oh my loving god. :barf:

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Sockington posted:

This is pretty oil.

What happened?!?!

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Amandyke posted:

What happened?!?!

Obviously poured chocolate syrup in his engine mistaking it for oil.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My friend's 1996 2.2L Impreza needed new plugs and wires. While it was in shop, he asked the mechanic to check on the timing belt. The mechanic said it was a bit cracked and he'd recommend replacing it and the water pump. The car has 49k miles on it. Do most people change their belts at 60k or so instead of the advertised 105k?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

kimbo305 posted:

My friend's 1996 2.2L Impreza needed new plugs and wires. While it was in shop, he asked the mechanic to check on the timing belt. The mechanic said it was a bit cracked and he'd recommend replacing it and the water pump. The car has 49k miles on it. Do most people change their belts at 60k or so instead of the advertised 105k?

Recommended service interval is to check it at 60k but it probably won't need replacement till 100k. Thats a really low mileage 96 though if this is current. Might not be a bad idea just on the basis its 14 years old.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Has anyone seen a water pump fail ever? My buddy has 261k on his WRX, all under "harsh" driving conditions and with the most relaxed of maintenance schedules. He has not replaced the pump ever.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Amandyke posted:

What happened?!?!

I was losing coolant, which I thought was leaking externally from the head gaskets but apparently it was also creating a batch of delicious fudge inside the engine as well. Long story short it developed rod knock, too busy to rebuild it, sold it to Sockington, and now I watch the horrors from afar.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

8ender posted:

I was losing coolant, which I thought was leaking externally from the head gaskets but apparently it was also creating a batch of delicious fudge inside the engine as well. Long story short it developed rod knock, too busy to rebuild it, sold it to Sockington, and now I watch the horrors from afar.

Well played goonsir :golfclap:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sockington posted:

This is pretty oil.

Wait, was that thing lubricated by oil from the Gulf they scooped up or something? Fuuuuuuuuck

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ab0z posted:

Has anyone seen a water pump fail ever? My buddy has 261k on his WRX, all under "harsh" driving conditions and with the most relaxed of maintenance schedules. He has not replaced the pump ever.

Pretty much everyone has said no, I ended up ordering one though with the rest of my timing belt parts though (which finally arrived today.)

I'm in there, I'll do it so I don't have to worry about taking the stuff apart again.

The next 100k miles are going to come a lot slower than the past 100k since I'll be buying a new car in the fall. I just want this car to be mostly worry free.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Yeah I did the same when I did my timing service, but the old one looked fine and of all the subaru people I know in person, I've never heard of one failing.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Amandyke posted:

I picked up a set of these to throw on the BMW to replace the worn-out Kumho Ecstas that tried to kill me last time I drove in poo poo weather. Partly because they had the best reviews on TR, partly because I could get a set of 4 in a staggered setup (245/45/17 and 275/40/17), partly because I didn't want another set of dedicated summer tires on that car, partly because of the slick indicator system, and partly because Tire Rack was offering a free GPS with a set of 4. :whatup: Although the tires were backordered for nearly 2 months.

The GPS (TomTom EASE) arrived yesterday. It's so dumbed down it hurts, but it's better than the 5 year old hand-me-down Garmin C330 with flaky power connection, old rear end mapset, and lovely non-sucking suction cup that I was using before, so it's a step in the right direction I guess.

Anyway, once the car is back on the road (should be after this weekend if all goes well and the weather cooperates) I'm going to take it in and have them mounted.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The waterpump on my first legacy failed at around 130-140k. It also took out the timing belt. While I was on a ski trip at lake tahoe.

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
eg33 it is... project starting next month(s). as soon as i get ~1k of expendable cash to throw at various parts the teardown will begin

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

jamal posted:

The waterpump on my first legacy failed at around 130-140k. It also took out the timing belt. While I was on a ski trip at lake tahoe.

What year was that car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cross-posting from the "Post Your Ride" thread. I'm bragging, but it's because it's my first new car and I love it :D

Picked it up yesterday. Brand new Subaru Impreza. When I picked it up yesterday at 4PM it had 16 kilometers on it. Today at 10PM it has 275 :)

I got the sport body kit (obviously) and leather interior. I just cant get over how well it handles.

I'm thinking of getting stiffer springs and a few minor things to improve acceleration. Can anybody suggest anything? I've never modded a car before and know absolutely nothing about it.