Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

goddamn does keh use apple II's for its servers or what

The code or database behind their site must be ridiculously unoptimized. I've worked on code that pulled a lot more data a hundred times as fast.

But really I just browse their catalog they send me every month :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Not sure where the best place to ask is so I will start here. I am going to be doing another trip up to the Canadian rockies, it will be around 10ish days I think with 4-5 of those in Jasper. Last fall I did a similar trip and found my self feeling a bit lost in finding locations to shoot (landscapes and wildlife). I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on locations or has a website or book that may have some insight into some locations. I don't mind hitting up some tourist trap/iconic locations but I would also like to get some photos of areas that are less visited. Any help would be great!

Edit: after reading the thread title a few times this probably does not belong here..

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 9, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Dread Head posted:

Not sure where the best place to ask is so I will start here. I am going to be doing another trip up to the Canadian rockies, it will be around 10ish days I think with 4-5 of those in Jasper. Last fall I did a similar trip and found my self feeling a bit lost in finding locations to shoot (landscapes and wildlife). I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on locations or has a website or book that may have some insight into some locations. I don't mind hitting up some tourist trap/iconic locations but I would also like to get some photos of areas that are less visited. Any help would be great!

Edit: after reading the thread title a few times this probably does not belong here..

Try some Google Earth'ing. A friend of mine uses it for finding new places to go offroading locally, been meaning to use it to scout for locations to shoot.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
You guys seen the new iPhone 4 camera?

http://images.apple.com/iphone/features/camera.html

It uses a backside illuminated sensor, and the results actually aren't bad at all for a cell phone camera with no PP done to them.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Shmoogy posted:

You guys seen the new iPhone 4 camera?

http://images.apple.com/iphone/features/camera.html

It uses a backside illuminated sensor, and the results actually aren't bad at all for a cell phone camera with no PP done to them.

But... Hipstamatic!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

resolution and features are *finally* in line with modern phones, but backlit sensor is a nice bonus :)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

:mad:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

GWBBQ posted:

Hey man those are sweet shots. Mind sharing the exif?

:v:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The best part is that since we were out at a bar, they're all ISO3200 since I don't like using the flash and I barely considered most of them usable, even just to toss up on Facebook. My shots while out with friends are slowly but surely becoming everyone's profile pictures, though

The scary thing is that a couple of my friends asked if I'm thinking about doing weddings. I declined, but said I know what to look for and am more than willing to help them find a good photographer, and budget at least $3000.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

GWBBQ posted:

At least you know you've arrived :v:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
When I'm scanning facebook, I know who's been recently married because their tiny profile pic all of a sudden look so pro because of all the sweet sweet bokeh.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I turned on IOGraphica for 20 minutes while editing a batch of Little League photos. Pretty cool because you can pick out all of the Lightroom develop tools I used a lot, and the edges of the images I dragged for cropping.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Coldfire
Apr 21, 2009

You know you've been on the internet too long when all you can see is the goatman in this picture.
(From Gittoes while looking for new tripods)

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Coldfire posted:

You know you've been on the internet too long when all you can see is the goatman in this picture.

I'd like some details on that setup. Anyone know what hes got there?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Lifehacker http://lifehacker.com/ has some great tips today:

Firstly, a tutorial on how to get extra lens flare in your photos for great effect:

http://photosbycarla.blogspot.com/2008/08/lens-flare-tutorial.html

Shortly followed by our Ken's tips on how to afford anything

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-afford-anything.htm

(short version, you avoid buying a house, a car or food)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

spog posted:

Put up a website and beg for donations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

spog posted:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-afford-anything.htm

(short version, you avoid buying a house, a car or food)
Shorter version: Spend your money wisely. Wacky Ken.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of spending your money wisely... I know this subject has been discussed before, but recently I've found a number of cameras - film cameras - seem to have been following me home. Two of them were gifts (which I appreciate) but I've bought the others. I haven't bought any of them without good reason, and do I invest time beforehand in making sure it's what I need, and then wait patiently until I believe I've found a deal.
Years ago when I was playing music I had a few cheapo guitars which I'd leave over at family/friends homes. That made sense. But is picking up a Nikon F-301 (N2000?) and a series E 50mm just so that I've always got a film camera at my parent's house the same thing? And why the hell do I need a Zorki 10?
Bollocks, it's probably not a real question. Maybe I'm just feeling guilty about spending money on myself.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Would anyone be interested in a wordpress theme I made for photographers? It's superbasic, no sidebar, very little extra info. It's kind of made to be a 'white on white' Big Picture styled site.

you can see it here (with a few mods:)

http://mdubbs.com

and download here;

http://iwantacustomblog.com/mdubbsfoliov4.zip

it's based off of wp-framework so you can hack it up hardcore if you know css/html at all. if you're interested i can help you set it up or whatever. the contact me page on the first site works, if you want to get in touch.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Coldfire posted:

I've got a Giottos tripod, it's nice (and quite reasonably priced, especially second hand.)

oncearoundaltair posted:

And why the hell do I need a Zorki 10?

Its sexy Soviet design:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Its sexy Soviet design:

That is sexy. :gizz:

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
This probably counts as advice, but I'm now officially out of the hospital and off bed rest, and I need to get out and take pictures.

The problem is, I could give a poo poo about that right now. I have no motivation, no drive, no nuttin.

So what up Dorkroom, how do you get your spark back?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

squidflakes posted:

This probably counts as advice, but I'm now officially out of the hospital and off bed rest, and I need to get out and take pictures.

The problem is, I could give a poo poo about that right now. I have no motivation, no drive, no nuttin.

Take your camera and go for a long walk. I ALWAYS find something to shoot when I do that.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

squidflakes posted:

What do you do for kicks? Take photos of that.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Whitezombi posted:

Take your camera and go for a long walk. I ALWAYS find something to shoot when I do that.

Long walks are out till my leg stops swelling. Short walks are ok though. I'll have to see what I can see. Thanks!

brad industry
May 22, 2004

squidflakes posted:

Long walk / bike ride - pretty much always works for me
If you have a car, go drive on the highway (I used to carry a dry erase marker so I can write on the windows if I thought of something)
Get stoned and take a shower
Go to a prop house
Look at other people's work
Go to a bookstore and look at every picture in every magazine
Do something creative that's not photo (I screenprint)
Read something theory or art history related
Sit in your basement studio and don't leave until you've made something (my strategy for this week)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

squidflakes posted:

Buy a new lens or body! If you can afford it after the medical bills without causing further problems.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

squidflakes posted:

Long walks are out till my leg stops swelling. Short walks are ok though. I'll have to see what I can see. Thanks!

I have a bad knee so I understand. Drive somewhere new and take a short walk. Try going somewhere out of your comfort zone. Sometimes I just drive until something catches my eye. Make sure you take pen and paper so you can write down locations that you find interesting but cannot shoot at that time.

Everything that brad listed.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Shmoogy posted:

Buy a new lens or body! If you can afford it after the medical bills without causing further problems.

Man, I wish. I'm going to be up poo poo creek for the rest of the year. Time to start doing it myself and just kluding EVERYTHING together.

Also, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll be trying some of them out this weekend. Extra thumbs up for the dry erase markers on the windows bit.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
Everyone in the dorkroom needs a self portrait like this from now on:

:nws: http://i45.tinypic.com/spepea.jpg

brad industry
May 22, 2004
livin da dream

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Jahoodie posted:

I think I'm more attracted to that incredible 400mm Super-Takumar. :swoon:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Jahoodie posted:

I saw that in phiz, who are they?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
That shot reminds me of a picture by R. Michael Walker. I went to a talk he put on a month or so ago and his work was really amazing.

:nws:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/79/79a0ff8fb02bc64ed5c61df2990cdd20066bc5fe.jpg

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I saw that in phiz, who are they?

Don't know, that's where I pulled it from. There is really something for everyone up in that.

McMadCow posted:

That shot reminds me of a picture by R. Michael Walker. I went to a talk he put on a month or so ago and his work was really amazing.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/79/79a0ff8fb02bc64ed5c61df2990cdd20066bc5fe.jpg
Do you have a link to his site? Couldn't easily find a portfoilo on google.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Jahoodie posted:

Don't know, that's where I pulled it from. There is really something for everyone up in that.

Do you have a link to his site? Couldn't easily find a portfoilo on google.

I only know him through Model Mayhem
http://www.modelmayhem.com/28107

You have to be a member to see most of the shots in there (nudes), but his work used by Ilford is all accessible.

OJ.SImpson
Jan 20, 2001

Everyone watching the zack arias free webinar this weekend on creativelive.com? So far there is a lot of good info.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Coldfire posted:

giotse

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

OJ.SImpson posted:

Everyone watching the zack arias free webinar this weekend on creativelive.com? So far there is a lot of good info.

Yeah it's great, I know most of the stuff he's talking about right now however. I'm mostly interested in how he directs and interacts with the models, which he should be doing a lot more of tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006

OJ.SImpson posted:

Been watching the past couple hours thanks to your post. Its a lot of the same stuff hes taught before, but its still fun to watch.