Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

gigabitnokie posted:

Gremlin - drat man, you're doing great. Sounds like it's time for you to move up a level! I read on GSBB that you can put a layer of duct tape over the relevant sections of pad, and then lay velcro over that and it works awesome. Maybe give that a shot before going for full on slide plates. Nobody at my rink uses anything like that, but I want to and wonder if anybody would stop me... hmm...

I'll go pretty much wherever the team goes. One team is just a throw together with some friends, some never having played organized before, so we stayed real low, not knowing what to expect. If we win the Championship, we'll probably move up. The other one I got picked up a couple seasons ago, so if we move up, I'll go with them.

What I will probably do is stick with these two for the next session, and then in the winter I'll play as much as possible, at all different levels most likely, since softball will be over.

The duct tape/velcro thing is interesting, although I have a hard time beleiving it'll work that well. Plus I dunno if I want to duct tape my pads.

Interesting note about my first season playing roller like 10+ years ago. I decided I wanted to play, went down to a local outdoor rink/league and bought all new gear, and the kid running the place picked me up for his team. The team was loaded, we ended up winning the championship, and that was the last time I've won a hockey championship. I want one so bad now that I'm back into it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

gigabitnokie posted:

holy gently caress I just won the championship

holy gently caress

holy gently caress

2-1 :smug:

Congrats, good win too! Always feels nice to have a season end on a high note.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

gigabitnokie posted:

accomplishing stuff

Good stuff mate! Congrats!

Thanks for the tips too Hazed_Red. My back is hosed at the moment so I have had to miss two practices this week. Can't wait to get back out there.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I can get a spot on an inline team, but the only spot they have available is in a low level league. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it. I like the idea of playing some inline for cross training, but I'm trying to figure out if I want to commit to a full season.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
On my way to take another shellacking. Last place team playing the first place team. This is gonna suck. I just pray that I can keep it in the single digits. Before I came on as goalie for this team, they lost 20-7 to the guys we're playing tonight.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Score was 14-12 (I gave up the 14) shinny tonight. First time I actually kept score. That makes it sound a lot worse than it is though :lol:

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Lost 13-5 tonight on 63 shots. We had 25 shots. gently caress me.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Joey Walnuts posted:

Hey you let in less than the last guy! :unsmith:

When games get out of hand like that it just gets worse and worse for me. It's not that I'm not trying to prevent the 8th goal, but I just... can't.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Score was 14-12 (I gave up the 14) shinny tonight. First time I actually kept score. That makes it sound a lot worse than it is though :lol:

I fear what the score would be if I tracked how many goals I gave up during open hockey. What I do instead is focus on how long I can keep them scoreless during a shift, though that lead to me noticing the annoying pattern where I will keep them scoreless until right before the other goalie rotates in.

Joey Walnuts posted:

Does your team have any concept of defense? 25 shots would indicate that they are somewhat competent on offense, but I am guessing that the other had a lot of sustained pressure where you would make 3 or 4 saves before the puck went in. At least you let in 7 fewer goalies than their previous goalie. I guess all you can do in those situations is work on rebound control and cover up the puck as much as possible. Let me know when you have your next game and I'll try to make it out there.

I went to the skills session tonight. I think that playing Saturday and Sunday had caught up to me, since I was really stiff through out most of the drills and didn't perform nearly as well as I normally do. Thankfully my body loosened up by the time we scrimmaged and I played well.

There was a scary moment tonight. There was a huge guy that accidentally ran one of the other goalies. He fell her, she said that her knee momentarily popped out of her socket and then popped back in, and she slammed her head on the ice. She was down on the ice for a minute and two and for some reason decided to keep playing, so I skated back onto the ice and told her to sit down. She did return to the scrimmage later, though I wish the coaches would have held her out for the remainder of the scrimmage. It just seemed like an unneccessary risk and in that type of situation, I really don't think you can trust the player's judgement on whether they are ok or not.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 9, 2010

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
On Sunday, I subbed a game in a league of former college and junior players, after a lifetime of playing in house and beer leagues. How weird is it to come out of an 11-10 loss feeling like you played really well?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Does your team have any concept of defense? 25 shots would indicate that they are somewhat competent on offense, but I am guessing that the other had a lot of sustained pressure where you would make 3 or 4 saves before the puck went in. At least you let in 7 fewer goalies than their previous goalie. I guess all you can do in those situations is work on rebound control and cover up the puck as much as possible. Let me know when you have your next game and I'll try to make it out there.

Next game is Tuesday at 9:30 in Peoria. We have/had one guy that scored all 5 goals and he got into a fight last night so he's gone for the next two games. Awesome. Our defense definitely lets them get way too close but my main problem was giving them 3 or 4 rebounds before I could finally cover up.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Next game is Tuesday at 9:30 in Peoria. We have/had one guy that scored all 5 goals and he got into a fight last night so he's gone for the next two games. Awesome. Our defense definitely lets them get way too close but my main problem was giving them 3 or 4 rebounds before I could finally cover up.

Ah, I thought you were still playing at Oceanside. It sucks that you lost your offense for the next two games, but maybe forcing the other guys to take more responsibility on offense instead of just letting the one star do all the work will be a good thing.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
Anyone rocking Vaughn Velo's? I'm looking at a 34+1 set, not too sure if that's too short based on 5'10 and a roughly 18" ankle to knee measurement. I've heard rumors that the Velocity's settle after time, and I want my big gay fivehole to be shut.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

brosef deluxe posted:

Anyone rocking Vaughn Velo's? I'm looking at a 34+1 set, not too sure if that's too short based on 5'10 and a roughly 18" ankle to knee measurement. I've heard rumors that the Velocity's settle after time, and I want my big gay fivehole to be shut.

You can probably get away with 35" +1, the Goalie Store BB has a database where people list their ATK and their pad size. I think with pads you are better to err on the side of a little bigger than too small. Is there anywhere where you can try on some pads locally? You don't need to buy them there, but trying on gear helps a lot.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I've been going to local Deck hockey (poor people) and Floorball (we have a Nokia campus) workouts/scrimmages around here. I think I'm going to pick up a league sport again for the first time since 1998! I'd play ice, but the last league fee I was quoted was close to $1500 a season. Yikes.

I expect smoking a pack a day to be a hinderance, but if Zubov can do it I can do it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Velos definitely settle after time. I forgot what my velos were, but they were marked way bigger than 35" and they ended up a little shorter than my 35" Rbks.

Mind you my pair was a pair of original velocities and I was like the third or fourth owner so they'd seen their share of battle.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

Aniki posted:

You can probably get away with 35" +1, the Goalie Store BB has a database where people list their ATK and their pad size. I think with pads you are better to err on the side of a little bigger than too small. Is there anywhere where you can try on some pads locally? You don't need to buy them there, but trying on gear helps a lot.
I'm probably going to have to end up going to Oakland to try them on - oh well.

I bid on the set on impulse (drat YOU EBAY). It's a good buy if I can get the glove/blocker set, and then flip the pads for like 350 on GSBB.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They might be a little short for you, but they won't be ridiculously undersized or anything. You can always use them until you find something better. If they're V1s they're not really going to devalue any more than they are now, being what -- three or four generations back?

You'll probably just want a little for better fivehole protection, but other than that they're perfectly adequate an good pads to boot.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Is there a reason you wouldnt want the +2?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It all depends on how the pads fit I guess. Too much extra thigh rise can cause the pads to interfere with each other when dropping into a butterfly.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I suppose the Vaughns are a bit thicker up top compared to some other pads.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also the thigh rise on some older pads isn't squared off which makes sealing the fivehole a little harder.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Also the thigh rise on some older pads isn't squared off which makes sealing the fivehole a little harder.
I probably should have specified, these aren't the original Velocities. They're V3 7406's (sexy iceburg graphics). They're a senior level pad, obviously not pro, but I only play 2-3 times a week. They are miles above the quality of my 34" Reebok 6k's, which are starting to shred a little after a year or so. I'm also realizing that on ice, I tend to need a bigger pad. I'd like to be a bit wider as a smaller goalie - so the thighrise is going to help along with the double break to compensate for my lack of hip flexibility. It's a combo as well, and I get to replace the reebok glove that I despise.

If I end up flipping them I might just go for some Simmons UL5's for the legpads - the 34+2 sounds just dandy.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
My GAA this weekend was 6.0, but I almost got my first penalty as a goalie (warned by a ref I'm friends with for repeatedly slashing someone in my crease), shoved someone out of my crease and flat onto their rear end while in the butterfly, and made a skate save behind my back up in the air after lunging across the crease on my stomach. Still a successful weekend in my book, 0-3 or not.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

haha, that reminds me, I got warned this weekend in a game too. We were on the PP, I went to go play a cleared puck up the boards, and got to under it and threw it outta play. We don't have the NHL rule, the usually let it go because most goalies' stickhandling is questionable at best (mine's terrible). The ref warned me and said he'd give me a penalty if I did it again.

I just laughed. We're on a PP, I wanted a faceoff in my end. Of course.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

My GAA this weekend was 6.0, but I almost got my first penalty as a goalie (warned by a ref I'm friends with for repeatedly slashing someone in my crease), shoved someone out of my crease and flat onto their rear end while in the butterfly, and made a skate save behind my back up in the air after lunging across the crease on my stomach. Still a successful weekend in my book, 0-3 or not.

You pulled off the Scorpion Save.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
One of the only times I ever got a penalty was when my team was in a tournament in Illinois in a legitimate arena with a seating capacity of like 6,000+ and several ton scoreboard hanging over center ice. Definitely the best penalty I've ever taken given the surroundings.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
going back to the floor/dek/ball hockey thing for a sec, it seriously helps your puck tracking and you usually get a TON of shots, at least in competitive leagues.

It blows rear end for playing forward, but it's fun for goalies.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I'll agree on that. I don't get why some guys love just playing deck (forward or D), but it is fun in net. My D is pretty drat good on one team, and I'm still seeing 30ish shots a game.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I'll agree on that. I don't get why some guys love just playing deck (forward or D), but it is fun in net. My D is pretty drat good on one team, and I'm still seeing 30ish shots a game.

I play goal for ice, but forward for floor. I just enjoy sprinting around like a madman until I'm soaked with sweat. It really is a different game since everything on the playing surface isn't gliding about with stubborn momentum. There's no grace or poetry to it like in ice, just brute force, more akin to melee combat than cavalry. I like the contrast.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug
Anyone got any opinions on the Bauer Profile 1200 mask? It's the only one stocked by the store here in Sydney. So tempted to get a Hackva when I go back to Canada later this year but I need a mask for a beginner's league that starts next week (so stoked).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

aejix posted:

Anyone got any opinions on the Bauer Profile 1200 mask? It's the only one stocked by the store here in Sydney. So tempted to get a Hackva when I go back to Canada later this year but I need a mask for a beginner's league that starts next week (so stoked).

I think it's literally just the Itech 1200, isnt it? If it is, it's only marginally safer than putting a recycling blue bin on your head.

It's better than literally NOTHING, but I can't in good conscience say "buy it".

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
I am not sure if it's a rebadged Itech 1200 but if it is then I will definitely stay away from it. And for AUD$400 I could probably shell out a little more and get something much better. Time to go back to buying online!

edit: Specs say it's a "LEXAN EXL Polycarbonate Shell". Hackva's apparently have a "full layer of Kevlar sandwiched in between layers of high grade fiberglass with the inside of the mask finished with a full layer of Carbon.". Polycarbonate not sounding so attractive now.

I would really like to buy a Hackva because I've never heard or read anything about them short of "I will never play in anything else". Is it like buying a Rolls Royce when you barely know how to drive or is it worth digging deep for probably the most important piece of equipment you will own?

aejix fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 10, 2010

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I think it's literally just the Itech 1200, isnt it? If it is, it's only marginally safer than putting a recycling blue bin on your head.

It's better than literally NOTHING, but I can't in good conscience say "buy it".

Yeah I wouldn't wear that thing on ice no matter what level I'm playing at. Low level roller or any level ball hockey would be fine though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wore an Itech 2500 that felt much more solid than the 1200. I'm not sure what Bauer's next level up is, but that's probably the lowest tier I'd recommend for Ice or Roller.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

aejix posted:

I am not sure if it's a rebadged Itech 1200 but if it is then I will definitely stay away from it. And for AUD$400 I could probably shell out a little more and get something much better. Time to go back to buying online!

edit: Specs say it's a "LEXAN EXL Polycarbonate Shell". Hackva's apparently have a "full layer of Kevlar sandwiched in between layers of high grade fiberglass with the inside of the mask finished with a full layer of Carbon.". Polycarbonate not sounding so attractive now.

I would really like to buy a Hackva because I've never heard or read anything about them short of "I will never play in anything else". Is it like buying a Rolls Royce when you barely know how to drive or is it worth digging deep for probably the most important piece of equipment you will own?

Bauer bought out Itech, so the Bauer 1200 is just a rebadged Itech 1200, which is a mask that you are better off avoiding. I made the mistake of the buying an Itech 1200 mask and I ended up needing to go out and buy a better mask not much later. I could have sold the Itech 1200 that I have lying around, but i don't feel comfortable letting another goalie play in that mask. It would be fine for street hockey, ball hockey, and possibly up to getting started in roller, but it's not worth the increased risk of receiving a brain injury.

Your mask is one piece of equipment that you really don't want to skimp on. The Hackva's are the most affordable safe mask on the market, you can pick up aHackva for $295 CDN from Don Simmons'. $295 may sound like a lot when you are piecing together your first set of gear, but the expense is well worth it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

aejix posted:

It's not like buying a rolls royce when you barely know how to drive. It's like buying a good parachute versus a cheap parachute when you barely know how to skydive :)

Your cheap chute might get you to the ground safely, but do you really want to risk it?

elemenohpee
Jun 18, 2005
anyone one playing at eastwest ice palace in artesia or glacial gardens in lakewood? I'd love to play some hockey with local goons. On occasion we rent ice at east west on thurs night and we could use more skaters.

edit: just realized id made this post in the goalie post. mybad

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

To our Aussie having mask issues; go to your local cricket/field hockey store and ask how much an "OBO CK Helmet" is to order. It's a full carbon/kevlar mask and should cost you around $550AUD.

Alternatively you can email OBO direct about it. The guy you'll need is Mike (mike AT obo.co.nz). If you have any questions please let me know. I've been using them for the last 5 years and the custom paint mask I put up recently is my latest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

aejix posted:

Worth digging, definitely. Two places you really don't want to cut corners are the mask and the cup. It makes no sense to do like some people do and spend $1000 on a pair of leg pads and then drop $150 on a lovely mask. The mask will save you from severe injury and even death. Leg pads, not so much.

As was mentioned, the Hackva is one of the best masks you can buy for the money. You'll have a really hard time finding another full-kevlar full-carbon mask at that price point, and with a lifetime warranty on the shell, for that matter. To me that says a lot about how confident they are in their product. I also appreciate their philosophy behind making only one model of mask. As they say on their website, it's the safest mask they know how to make, period, and they're not willing to make cheaper, inherently less-safe versions by using lesser materials.

Anyway, it's a little on the heavy side, but super comfortable and has fantastic protection. I don't experience pain when I get hit in the head, and it happens a lot. I've taken pucks off the cage hard enough to dent the wire, but it didn't put me on my rear end or disorient me. Absolutely my favorite piece of equipment.

Plus too they use black padding on the inside which doesn't turn that gross-rear end yellow color. I've often wondered why Hackva is one of the only manufacturers to do this.

• Locked thread