Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A Harley owner meets Ewen McGregor in a bar, says "I watched your show, looks like you spent a lot of money on it. You'd think you could have afforded a real bike too"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Ola posted:

A real adventure with real men would be using real bikes. Such as Gixxer 1Ks.

That sure would've been more entertaining to watch v:downs:v

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Real men go around the world on Honda CT-90's

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

real men would walk

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

On a serious note, the real adventure stuff comes from the alpha ADV crowd which is usually middle aged professionals with tons of spare cash and time. Sure, they could go around the world without a support crew. But they couldn't go around the world on a deadline, while making a broadcast quality TV show along the way, without a support crew. They deserve a lot of credit for making a show about the good sides of motorcycling to a documentary crowd only exposed to Orange County Choppers and the odd crime episode.

I really wish the Dumb Way Around guys would have made a TV show, but they will probably write a book anyway. http://www.kccd.no/blog_en.html

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Phat_Albert posted:

Real men go around the world on Honda CT-90's

Or at least Sydney to London on a 110.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460631

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

frozenphil posted:

There's nothing else to attach the hooks to except the license plate frame and passenger footpegs. If I attach it to the license plate frame it will obscure the plate, brake light, and turn signals. If I attach it to the passenger footpegs there is a good chance it it contact the exhaust and melt.

I think I'm just going to get a tank bag. Tail bags look really gay by themselves and let's face it, motorcycles are primarily about looking cool. :cool:

There's no subframe rail at the bottom of the rear plastics? Both of my bikes had em, but then again, both my bikes were designed in the mid-80s.

Oh and you ride a Ninja 250. There's no looking cool there no matter how hard you try. You might as well embrace the lameness.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

redscare posted:

There's no subframe rail at the bottom of the rear plastics? Both of my bikes had em, but then again, both my bikes were designed in the mid-80s.

Oh and you ride a Ninja 250. There's no looking cool there no matter how hard you try. You might as well embrace the lameness.

Nope, smooth as butter. This picture shows the smooth underside, just ignore the aftermarket tail tidy and instead imagine a huge dongus in its place.

I ride a current generation Ninja 250, not one of those ugly 250s.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

redscare posted:

The new Ninja 250's look sexy as hell.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

The new Ninja 250's look sexy as hell.

:hfive:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What's the deal with those little "carriages" that bolt onto the rear of some sportbikes; the ones that carry the rear license plate and turn signals? Does anyone keep them on? I saw a brand new R6 on the road today and I realized that was first time I'd ever seen a fully DOT legal sportbike on the road instead of just a license plate mounted in front of the rear tire!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Radbot posted:

What's the deal with those little "carriages" that bolt onto the rear of some sportbikes; the ones that carry the rear license plate and turn signals? Does anyone keep them on? I saw a brand new R6 on the road today and I realized that was first time I'd ever seen a fully DOT legal sportbike on the road instead of just a license plate mounted in front of the rear tire!

That's why you saw it, cause it's brand new and he hasn't yet gotten around to removing that ugly ugly tire bib.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Radbot posted:

If you do keep them on and have all your info in order, it can be a great way to get out of tickets. :haw:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure when I used the bungee net on the SV, I had it hooked to itself wrapped around the tail since 2nd gens don't have the convenient rails underneath. Maybe try that?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty sure when I used the bungee net on the SV, I had it hooked to itself wrapped around the tail since 2nd gens don't have the convenient rails underneath. Maybe try that?

I think I'm going to go against the grain and order a tail bag. I really want to be stereotypical and ignore you all, but I'm feeling sassy.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Z3n posted:

If you do keep them on and have all your info in order, it can be a great way to get out of tickets. :haw:

I haven't been riding that long (2 years) but that's really, really true. It's truly amazing at what you can get away with if you look like a responsible rider. I've had cops merely signal me to slow down when I'm speeding, and the only time I was pulled over riding was on my scooter. I didn't have current registration or insurance on it (it was a test ride) and I meekly offered to go right home... he told me "that would be a good idea" and let me go. Maybe it was because I was fully geared up to ride and was contrite about what happened... or maybe he just felt sorry for me. ;)

So, in my somewhat inexperienced opinion, it's really worth it to go the extra mile to gear up (at least to some extent) and keep yourself looking legal, even if you're not acting it.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Radbot posted:

The point of that is to make the license plate flush with the back of the bike. If it's mounted under then others cannot see it from an above angle or other angles.

Too bad it looks like a big piece of donkey poo poo.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 9, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

A group of about 30 old people on Harleys are cruising around my town right now. They've gone up and down my street a few times, revving their straight pipes every time they touch the clutch. I went outside to watch them negotiate a right turn from a stop sign after hearing revving engines and squealing tires the first time they came past.

I watched three of them come within inches of pancaking at the stop sign because they were looking left intending to California roll the sign instead of stopping and then looking. One person stalled as as they tried coasting through the stop sign and very nearly pitched his passenger off when he re-fired it with a handful of throttle still applied. Another target fixated on the gravel on the complete opposite side of the intersection and nearly ran into my yard. My favorite was the cluster of five or so whom locked up the rear wheel a good 100' from the stop sign (they were doing 15mph max) and nearly high sided when they released it, all the while never touching the front brake.

I try not to stereotype cruiser riders, but god drat! Give me something to work with here! My MSF class looked more stable doing the first power walk than these clowns on their $30k status symbols.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Double Post Insanity!

Anyone have a New Enough coupon they wouldn't mind sending my way? Got one, thanks Gnanghi!

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 9, 2010

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I got to wave to a Harley rider while I was leaned over in a fairly tight corner. I don't know or care if he waved back (I was looking ahead of me), but it felt pretty cool to carelessly take my hand off the bars mid-turn.

Got a random thumbs up from a guy in a van too.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Jack the Smack posted:

The point of that is to make the license plate flush with the back of the bike. If it's mounted under then others cannot see it from an above angle or other angles.

Too bad it looks like a big piece of donkey poo poo.

You can't see the back of the bike while riding so who gives a poo poo what it looks like.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Radbot posted:

I haven't been riding that long (2 years) but that's really, really true. It's truly amazing at what you can get away with if you look like a responsible rider. I've had cops merely signal me to slow down when I'm speeding, and the only time I was pulled over riding was on my scooter. I didn't have current registration or insurance on it (it was a test ride) and I meekly offered to go right home... he told me "that would be a good idea" and let me go. Maybe it was because I was fully geared up to ride and was contrite about what happened... or maybe he just felt sorry for me. ;)

So, in my somewhat inexperienced opinion, it's really worth it to go the extra mile to gear up (at least to some extent) and keep yourself looking legal, even if you're not acting it.

I find this happens a lot to me, as well. I was riding through Whistler near Vancouver on my way home, and doing about 95 KPH in a 60 zone. It was a somewhat twisty road, not in town, so I didn't think I was speeding that much until I saw a cop. I looked down, saw the speed I was going, looked back at the cop and he simply pointed to the ground with his hand, gesturing to slow down, and that was that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ranathari posted:

You can't see the back of the bike while riding so who gives a poo poo what it looks like.

Jack's front wheel's going to be 5 feet in the air anyway, I don't think it matters. :haw:

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

ranathari posted:

You ever ridden by a large window in the middle of the day so it's really reflective?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are you that guy who rearends people doing that?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Phat_Albert posted:

Are you that guy who rearends people doing that?

How do you rear end people while waiting at a stop sign/light?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jack the Smack posted:

How do you rear end people while waiting at a stop sign/light?

My bike is just so drat faaaaast

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I always do a tailslide stop at red lights in the city so I can admire my rear end in the shop window.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Linedance posted:

real men would walk

For all the riding skill they displayed, perhaps they should have. It was particularly telling when their camera man's BMW broke and he had to ride some strange standard and Ewan and Charlie got jealous. Probably because they noticed it was easier to waddle with a lower bike.

The long way down was funny as well, mostly for the part where Ewan's wife joined them and it led to a montage of her falling off her bike, sometimes randomly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack the Smack posted:

You ever ridden by a large window in the middle of the day so it's really reflective?

"ridden by" implies movement, when you're moving and gawking in a window you can rear end someone.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I'm still amazed that people respond to JTS.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Phat_Albert posted:

"ridden by" implies movement, when you're moving and gawking in a window you can rear end someone.

I gawk all the time. We have a street that is all lined by bars on both sides. I just loving watch myself put down that rode and think how awesomely badass I look. Then I give myself a reflective thumbs up and do a power wheelie infront of some loving pigs. They don't even leave the Dunkin' Donuts parking lot because they know they have no chance of catching me so I flick them off with one hand and wave to the bar bitches with the other hand all at the same time while riding a 12 o'clock wheelie and oh yea did I mention it was 2 am and the bars were just letting out and I am so trashed cause loving JAEGERBOMBS ALL NIGHT. AND ALSO THERE IS A CHICK ON MY BIKE AND I AM loving HER FROM BEHIND AND SHE IS HANGING OFF THE FRONT OF MY BIKE LOOKING ALL FLY WITH THAT rear end BOUNCING WHEN I TWIST THE THROTTLE AND I'VE GOT A PLATE OF JELLO SHOTS RESTING ON HER BACK AND I loving CHUG THOSE DOWN AND THE COPS ARE ALL LIKE "DAY-UM, THAT MOTHERFUCKER IS BADASS" AND ALL THE PEOPLE GETTING OUT OF THE BARS ARE CHEERING AND THERE ARE FIREWORKS ARE GOING OFF AND THERE IS A ROCKET BLASTING OFF INTO SPACE AND CHARLES IS LIKE I'M SO SORRY YOU'RE REALLY IN CHARGE AND I'M LIKE YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

edit: This on my RD350 btw.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's weird, I had that dream last night.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:hfive:

gently caress yeah bro. gently caress yeah.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bad Munki posted:

That's weird, I had that dream last night.

Me too but it involved copious amounts of backing it in. :downsrim:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Living the dream.

Meanwhile, I checked out Ontario Cycle Salvage here in town yesterday on an absolutely beautiful riding kind of day. Couldn't be arsed to dig through all their junk, so just ordered a drat replacement headlight bucket. And of course when I got home long after closing I realized I forgot to order new spark plug leads. Oh well.

Also a little annoyed at the weather. Was hoping to ride up north this weekend (~300km each way) but looks like 60% chance of rain on the way back Sunday. Oh well.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

You are the inner voice for us all. God be with you.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

Also a little annoyed at the weather. Was hoping to ride up north this weekend (~300km each way) but looks like 60% chance of rain on the way back Sunday. Oh well.

I look at that as a 40% chance that it won't rain. If you were in Vegas you'd take those odds.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I did pretty well riding home last time, missing a big thunderstorm I could see rolling in by about half an hour. My friends who were driving got hit.

That 60% is just in town. Further along the route, the percentages go higher and the days go from 1 to 3, depending on how far from Lake Simcoe the road is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Hey look I'm a great rider with years of expirience. Oh poo poo, I just glanced off the side for a couple seconds while going at 10mph, I could have died! Time to make a post in the "you didn't crag but you're still a moron thread"!