Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Defleshed posted:

Just want to say that "undoubtedly totally bitchin" is a phrase that brightened my spirits this day.

Also, don't write a loving liability release for anyone if you haven't passed the bar and been admitted you dummy.

e: A couple of people have asked me to do wills for them. I can totally do this (we're not talking people with offshore accounts and millions of net worth tied up in annuities or anything, more like my stoner friends from high school who want to make sure their girlfriend gets the blown-glass bong if they eat too many mushrooms one night or something) but I was wondering how do you find out what is reasonable to charge someone?

I mean, I'm basically going to be teaching myself to do this out of the Cook County law library and I know I can't (or shouldn't) charge for that, but should I just go "flat-fee" based on what I think seems a reasonable amount of time vs. compensation?

When in doubt, always charge $500 for small stuff. It's large enough to be worth your while, but small enough that people don't bitch that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just spend a few minutes every episode on a pro hac vice hearing

they have hearings for those right?

You know, that could add to entertainment value, if it's anything like "My Cousin Vinny" when he's talking to the judge in chambers. Could be good for introducing the "quirky judge of the week."

IrritationX fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 10, 2010

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Cali. He rides to them from Mexico. One or two episodes can be a Breaking Bad crossover.

Can there be an episode on him fulfilling his massive CLE requirements?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Just paid off the last of my student loans today :smug:

True story

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

IrritationX posted:

You know, that could add to entertainment value, if it's anything like "My Cousin Vinny" when he's talking to the judge in chambers. Could be good for introducing the "quirky judge of the week."

I like it! Gruff trucker dude walks into court every episode with a denim jacket trying to convince the stuffy (he'll always be stuffy) judge to let him take the case. I smell a catch phrase here, and it involves a very disingenuous use of the phrase "your honor"

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

GamingHyena posted:

True story

congratulations.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

GamingHyena posted:

True story

Congrats, man!

Of course, you realize this means you've now reached the stage where you're obligated to buy the thread a round of drinks.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
We finished a three week med mal trial today.

The jury got the case well after 4:00 pm -- I want to say quarter or even half past. And yet, somehow, at 4:58? VERDICT TIME.

I know I'm not supposed to say things that undermine confidence in the judicial process, but... really, guys? Three weeks of trial, countless experts and video deps, and you can sort through it in like 28 minutes?

Or could it just be that you wanted to go home, and if you tick the box finding "no breach of standard of care" you don't have to answer any of the other questions?

I've always considered myself a True Believer when it comes to the legal system. But some days... Some days I come home after work and watch Chicago, because anything less cynical seems inappropriate. Today was one such day.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Alaemon posted:

We finished a three week med mal trial today.

The jury got the case well after 4:00 pm -- I want to say quarter or even half past. And yet, somehow, at 4:58? VERDICT TIME.

I know I'm not supposed to say things that undermine confidence in the judicial process, but... really, guys? Three weeks of trial, countless experts and video deps, and you can sort through it in like 28 minutes?

Or could it just be that you wanted to go home, and if you tick the box finding "no breach of standard of care" you don't have to answer any of the other questions?

I've always considered myself a True Believer when it comes to the legal system. But some days... Some days I come home after work and watch Chicago, because anything less cynical seems inappropriate. Today was one such day.

Could be that they thought one side was complete bullshit one week into the trial, and spent the rest of the time praying that y'all would shut up and finish quickly. They do talk to each other before they recess for a verdict, they'd likely decided long before they were sent off to deliberate.

Just a thought.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the offer Ainsley. What if I get everyone including me, the seller. and the buyer drunk while I'm writing it, will that count enough to get you to represent me? 'Cause, you know, I'm a lawyer in small town Alaska. We don't gently caress around with our drinkin'.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Abugadu posted:

Could be that they thought one side was complete bullshit one week into the trial, and spent the rest of the time praying that y'all would shut up and finish quickly. They do talk to each other before they recess for a verdict, they'd likely decided long before they were sent off to deliberate.

Just a thought.

Wrong, all jury trials are like the movie twelve angry men. I know because I am a lawyer.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

builds character posted:

Wrong, all jury trials are like the movie twelve angry men. I know because I am a lawyer.

Not sure about that movie, but im certain Jury Duty is a more accurate representation.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

BigHead posted:

'Cause, you know, I'm a lawyer in small town Alaska.

This reminds me.

A friend of mine is moving up to some town in Buttfuck, Ontario (pop: ~1000). I checked the local business directory and there isn't a single lawyer or firm listed. There are two "major" towns about 100km away (total pops ~200k).

If I move up there shortly after graduation [and articling I guess] and hang up my own shingle, is it most likely that I will:
a) Starve to death as the cities aren't so far away that locals will choose to see me instead;
b) Starve to death because the locals won't trust some big city human being;
c) Screw up some obscure farm/Indian reserve/easement case and get sued into nothingness;
d) Enjoy a life of quiet relaxation as the estates and divorce and real estate cases pour in just fast enough that I can work until noon and then go sailing the rest of the day.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Abugadu posted:

They do talk to each other before they recess for a verdict, they'd likely decided long before they were sent off to deliberate.
They didn't do that. The judge told them not to.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

nm posted:

This is two different things, only one of which an attorney can really know.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

nm posted:

heh

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

This reminds me.

A friend of mine is moving up to some town in Buttfuck, Ontario (pop: ~1000). I checked the local business directory and there isn't a single lawyer or firm listed. There are two "major" towns about 100km away (total pops ~200k).

If I move up there shortly after graduation [and articling I guess] and hang up my own shingle, is it most likely that I will:
a) Starve to death as the cities aren't so far away that locals will choose to see me instead;
b) Starve to death because the locals won't trust some big city human being;
c) Screw up some obscure farm/Indian reserve/easement case and get sued into nothingness;
d) Enjoy a life of quiet relaxation as the estates and divorce and real estate cases pour in just fast enough that I can work until noon and then go sailing the rest of the day.

Depending on how cheap it is to live there and the economic circumstances of the town, I suspect a less luxurious version of option d is more likely to happen. At some point, though, the work would really dry up because after a year or two, you've probably provided as many legal services as 1000 people could possibly want without actively sabotaging their personal and economic lives.

Keep in mind that a lot of people probably could use a lawyer on many things, but out of habit or monetary concerns choose not to have one. There's that problem to deal with too.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Welp, I managed to fumble my way into a job! :iiam: It's a prosecutor position that is susceptible to not existing in a couple months after fall elections, but hey that's way better than unemployment! Granted, now I have to settle down and be a law abidin' citizen :yarr:

Since I went through the trouble of getting all this Guam-job paperwork together, I might as well apply for that anyhow just in case my job gets closed down by the newly elected prosecutor.

Well, I'm off to legally and responsibly go wild :)

Edit: a year and a month after graduating.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 11, 2010

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Torpor posted:

Welp, I managed to fumble my way into a job!
Congrats!

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

JudicialRestraints posted:

What? That I'm a natural genius at Tort law but that i'm a retard at criminal law?

Sorry man I was trying to be funny and it came off dickish.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
This thread has convinced me not to go through with my plans to take the LSAT and apply to law schools. I'm now reading the FSOT megathread with great interest. Thank you, SA, for dictating my future to me!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Spiderjelly posted:

This thread has convinced me not to go through with my plans to take the LSAT and apply to law schools. I'm now reading the FSOT megathread with great interest. Thank you, SA, for dictating my future to me!
Good job all of us.

Honestly, I've been considering that route myself. Turns out you don't get to see the world as a public defender. Who knew?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
The Rules of the Road: Pilot Intro

Scene: Run down trucker bar, at one time it had a "western" theme, now it's just a mess.

Big John sits on a bar stool heavy with drink.

Big John pays the bar tender, his thoughts are narrated:

"It wasn't always like this, I had a wife, a son and a most importantly a Mercedes, I wish that loving case had never slid across my desk."

Big John stumbles towards Trixie on the way out of the bar

Trixie: "Want some company Big John?"
Big John: "Not tonight darling"

Big John narration: "Not any night Trixie, your no Ashley Dupre"

Further stumbling towards the door

Big John narration: "I guess I'm no Robert Pattinson either, you know, me and Trixie have more in common than I'm willing to admit"

Door opens, sunlight is blinding and the camera goes completely white
*Theme Song

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

J Miracle posted:

Sorry man I was trying to be funny and it came off dickish.

It's cool. I talked with the professor about the grade and he basically told me to quit caring so much about grades and that working for a firm was for idiots anyway so he was doing me a favor.

It's hard to be angry at you when all of my anger is reserved for him.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

It's cool. I talked with the professor about the grade and he basically told me to quit caring so much about grades and that working for a firm was for idiots anyway so he was doing me a favor.

Yeah, that's probably the lamest attempt to make a student feel better I've ever heard of.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ersatz posted:

Yeah, that's probably the lamest attempt to make a student feel better I've ever heard of.

I wonder if he's aware of what being in law school today is like. That's a positively infuriating thing for a law professor to say, goddamn. That's the kind of thing that when people post that kind of thing in this thread we all jump down their throat and I start babbling about sucking dicks in alaska, that's how dumb a thing that was for that guy to say, gently caress your crim professor JR

newberstein
Jul 17, 2005
really....that bad
So just a little bit of an update. I am going to visit my VP uncle at [T14 school] this upcoming weekend. He let me know today that he has arranged for me to meet with two professors as well as the director of admissions for the law school. My problem is that some lady from alumni and donor relations (neither of which apply to me) sent me a huge list of questions that I might be asked. Forgive me if this is retarded, as I have never had to interview for anything in my life, but I really don't know how to answer one of the questions. It states something along these lines: Are your grades a good representation of your academic achievement? As I have stated before my grades are average, 3.4 (but rising steadily).

I know you are never supposed to say anything negative about yourself, but should I tell him/her that for my first two years my grades were all B's because I did none of my homework but got A's on all of my exams and papers? Homework being worth 10-15% of your grade seems small but man did it gently caress me over in a lot of classes. I realize this isn't a law question exactly, but any general insight would be appreciated.

newberstein fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 11, 2010

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

newberstein posted:

So just a little bit of an update. I am going to visit my VP uncle at [T14 school] this upcoming weekend. He let me know today that he has arranged for me to meet with two professors as well as the director of admissions for the law school. My problem is that some lady from alumni and donor relations (neither of which apply to me) sent me a huge list of questions that I might be asked. Forgive me if this is retarded, as I have never had to interview for anything in my life, but I really don't know how to answer one of the questions. It states something along these lines: Are your grades a good representation of your academic achievement? As I have stated before my grades are average, 3.4 (but rising steadily).

I know you are never supposed to say anything negative about yourself, but should I tell him/her that for my first two years my grades were all B's because I did none of my homework but got A's on all of my exams and papers? Homework being worth 10-15% of your grade seems small but man did it gently caress me over in a lot of classes. I realize this isn't a law question exactly, but any general insight would be appreciated.

I would suggest a less specific answer, something like "it took me a little while to get my priorities in order."

newberstein
Jul 17, 2005
really....that bad

Solomon Grundy posted:

I would suggest a less specific answer, something like "it took me a little while to get my priorities in order."

I thought of that but the problem there is that it makes it sound like I slacked off. I went to all my classes and studied a poo poo load, I just didn't waste my time doing homework. I somehow want to get that across.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

newberstein posted:

I thought of that but the problem there is that it makes it sound like I slacked off. I went to all my classes and studied a poo poo load, I just didn't waste my time doing homework. I somehow want to get that across.

You are still saying you slacked off. The difference is Solomon's response makes it sound like you went through a bad period before improving your study habits.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

My professor in Professional Responsibility did this all the time, and gave us speeches about how we shouldn't just take the first firm that offers us a job but try to find one that cares about our professional development.

He's like 2 years older than me, he's a URM that graduated from Harvard, had summer associate jobs both summers and immediately went to a Biglaw job before leaving for the exotic world of teaching at a TTT.

You can basically feel the class hating him when he starts rambling on about how the firm isn't just interviewing you, you're also interviewing the firm and hey how about public service?

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

newberstein posted:

I didn't get into a T14 but I had a period with a bad undergrad GPA that rose steadily towards the end of college and I used an answer somewhat like that..."for a while I was unfocused and didn't have my priorities in order" or something like that.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've got a bunch of money on my hands, and I wonder if I should get into this:

quote:

The day starts out quiet enough. I wake up and scoop my contacts out of the Clear Care® contact lens solution they’re swimming in. Blinking rapidly to settle my contacts, I focus on some tiny numbers printed on the contact solution box. Patent numbers. I’ve been using the solution for years and wonder how old the patents must be. I do a quick Google search and discover that the patents have expired. Strange that expired patents would be printed on the box… My 3 year old interrupts my thoughts as she walks up to me still rubbing her eyes, complaining that her Goodnites® Sleep Shorts are soggy. Knowing that absorbent products containing hydrogels with ability to swell against pressure don’t change themselves, I quickly get her some dry pants. Doing so, I check the box and sure enough, more expired patent numbers. Next I head to the kitchen to look at my “to-do” list for the day. As I look over my list, I check my blood sugar with my nifty Accu-Chek® device. On it I find more expired patent numbers. I’ve never noticed patent numbers before, but suddenly the world seems populated with products stamped with the indicia of expired monopoly rights.

First item of the day is to give Scruffy his Heartgard®. I look for my favorite pair of scissors to cut open the box. No one else is allowed to use my Fiskars®, so I know exactly where they are in the drawer, right behind my Mead® envelopes. Once again, more expired patent numbers on both. Once Scruffy has broken free of my vise-like grip, I see tufts of his hair floating about as a result of our tussle. You’d think he’d be grateful that I’m protecting him from heartworms, but no, he has to fight like a caged lion and litter my floor with fur balls. No matter, I head to the broom closet and pull out my trusty Oreck®. Sure enough, more expired patent numbers. Seems like they’re everywhere. As I put the vacuum cleaner way, I realize I’m running late. Not having time to put on my make-up, I make do with some moisturizer and Blistex®. Another expired patent number. I can feel a head-ache coming on, so I pop a couple of Advil® on my way to lock the sliding door, where I notice the lid to the Weber® grill on the back porch is askew from last night’s wind storm. Two more expired patent numbers. After setting it to rights, turning down my Hunter $et’N’$ave thermostat, grabbing my keys and the girl, I head out for breakfast.

At the local diner, I notice in the background the classic Bunn® coffee maker, complete with orange handled decaf carafe sitting on the top. I quietly make my way to the counter, and nonchalantly begin to set the removable parts of the machine to the side. I glance around me, and then quickly lean the machine back into the cook’s window so I can get a good look at the bottom. Ah ha! I quickly grab my phone, snap a few photos and carefully lower the Grand Poobah of coffee makers back into place. A waitress stares at me as I walk back to my booth. Little does she know that the joke is on her – everyone knows that if patent numbers like the ones seen on the bottom of the Bunn start with a “3” they are expired!!!

A maniacal laugh escapes my lips as I snatch my daughter’s crayons and begin to frantically write down the list of products I have used today. I start to do the math in my head, knowing that 3 to the 20th power, multiplied by the square root of 14 and carrying 4 will certainly give me the exact answer I need. I smile as the realization washes over me: I just made 42 bajillion dollars today. And it’s not even 9 am.

On a more serious note, in Forest Group, Inc. v. Bon Tool Co., the Federal Circuit responded to plaintiff’s argument “that interpreting the fine of § 292 to apply on a per article basis would encourage ‘a new cottage industry’ of false marking litigation by plaintiffs who have not suffered any direct harm” with this statement: “This, however, is what the clear language of the statute allows. Section 292(b) provides that ‘[a]ny person may sue for the penalty, in which event one-half shall go to the person suing and the other to the use of the United States.’ 35 U.S.C. § 292(b).”

The recent explosion of False Marking cases is evidence that the “cottage industry” has indeed begun, and people are now finding expired patent numbers everywhere.

Seriously, this is like a free money machine, and I live right next to EDVA so I can get to court really easily!

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

J Miracle posted:

My professor in Professional Responsibility did this all the time, and gave us speeches about how we shouldn't just take the first firm that offers us a job but try to find one that cares about our professional development.

He's like 2 years older than me, he's a URM that graduated from Harvard, had summer associate jobs both summers and immediately went to a Biglaw job before leaving for the exotic world of teaching at a TTT.

You can basically feel the class hating him when he starts rambling on about how the firm isn't just interviewing you, you're also interviewing the firm and hey how about public service?

The professor basically said that he got a C+ in lawschool too so it wasn't a big deal. He also never worked as a lawyer outside of the clinical/academic environment.

Apparently my GPA is still pretty acceptable so I'm not making as big a deal about this as I should (administration basically told me to gently caress off too).

I just kinda lost the roulette spin re: teachers. Oh well. Time to cross my fingers and hope that the next semester is acceptable.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

J Miracle posted:

But at the same time, you really don't want to work somewhere you will hate, so this advice isn't completely off base. I took the first law firm job offered to me after clerking because I didn't want to risk being unemployed. I had a really bad feeling after the first interview that the attorneys there were assholes. I considered withdrawing my name but everyone convinced me not to and after the second interview, which wasn't as bad, I took the job. It was awful. I should have just trusted my instincts and kept looking for something else. So I do agree that you don't need to accept the first job offered, and that you are interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you.

Now, this was in 2005 so maybe now you do have to take whatever you can get. But at the time I would have much rather been unemployed than worked there.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

newberstein posted:

Saying that you didn't do your homework is literally an idiom for slacking off. There's no getting around it.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Why the gently caress am I even taking the New Jersey bar exam? Their horrible poo poo website which literally has Geocities "under construction" animated gifs basically hid the laptop registration program information and it's already closed so now I have to handwrite an exam in an open sewer of a state I don't care about. Shoulda listened to Adar

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008
I just got a call for a job interview while at another job interview. :smug: Fortunately I remembered to turn off my phone during the interview.

Hopefully I can rejoin the world of the miserable (but paid) soon.

PMan_
Dec 23, 2002
So for almost 5 years now I've been an attorney with a local government agency that represents abused and neglected kids that have been taken away from their families. It's not a bad gig, but it's time for a change. I've been sending out resumes to other government agencies, but I'm also considering firms.

My question is: Does anyone have any tips on how to break out from government work and get into firms, or is it really all just about knowing people? In law school I was all about saving the world, so I kind of stayed away from all the networking opportunities with firms and what not, so I'm kind of on the outside looking in.

The other possible barrier is that I'm in a pretty narrow practice where I am now. I'm in court almost daily, but the law we use, regarding child abuse and neglect, is pretty much used only where I am now, and I don't really dip my feet into any other areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

PMan_ posted:

So for almost 5 years now I've been an attorney with a local government agency that represents abused and neglected kids that have been taken away from their families. It's not a bad gig, but it's time for a change. I've been sending out resumes to other government agencies, but I'm also considering firms.

My question is: Does anyone have any tips on how to break out from government work and get into firms, or is it really all just about knowing people? In law school I was all about saving the world, so I kind of stayed away from all the networking opportunities with firms and what not, so I'm kind of on the outside looking in.

The other possible barrier is that I'm in a pretty narrow practice where I am now. I'm in court almost daily, but the law we use, regarding child abuse and neglect, is pretty much used only where I am now, and I don't really dip my feet into any other areas.

In this economy, it's really going to be about networking more than anything else.

Almost all the big firms are using keyword search software on resumes submitted through their websites to look for skills and experience that they think is applicable to the position. If you've been doing government services legal work, then you're going to be at a disadvantage because there's only so much you can do to tailor (truthfully) your experience to private sector work. Network and try to talk with partners and senior associates about what kind of skills they're looking for and tailor your pitch around that.

I'm sure it wouldn't be a stretch for you to go into private family law work or something like that. I guess you can also tailor your courtroom experience to litigation practices, but I take it all of your work would be taking place in something like a Surrogate's Court?