Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Bran Nuuu Tattttttt posted:

Don't do this. You basically just wrote a how-to for the most boring, by-the-numbers bullshit.
On the other hand, any band that would download a powerpoint presentation on "How to take good band photos" probably deserves your advice.

You'd be surprised. I've seen a lot of bands that sounded great, but went nowhere because they had the personality of a bowl of oatmeal and about as much energy on stage. Conversely, I've seen bands with mediocre talent go far because they were great entertainers with lots of stage presence and energy and they really clicked with the fans and filled venues, which is the bottom line of it all.

I see a lot of young bands playing their first show or first few shows and they could definitely use some sort of tutorial or something to get them started. I think it's important to make it clear that these are tips and not rules. Besides, when bands get signed or go to some talent development agency or whatever, that's pretty much what they get taught anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Bran Nuuu Tattttttt posted:

Don't do this. You basically just wrote a how-to for the most boring, by-the-numbers bullshit.
On the other hand, any band that would download a powerpoint presentation on "How to take good band photos" probably deserves your advice.

I agree. Part of taking photos of bands/live music is to go with the flow. Writing a handbook on what YOU think is the best way is absurd. You said it yourself Atomic, you are new to this, why don't you get a bit more time under your belt and then rethink making a powerpoint presentation.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

AtomicManiac posted:

If you gave this to any band with a shred of dignity though they would give it back to you and ask you not to come to the show

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Local theater is very camera friendly and let's pretty much anyone with any sort of camera come in and take pictures during entire shows (DSLrs, P&Ss, whatever). The rules are no flashes and no video/audio recording.

I'd shot there 10-15 times with my 7D, grip and Tamron 17-50/Sigma 30mm, never a word was said by the door guys.

Tonights show I know was sold out (Miike Snow), so I figured I'd be back a ways and shoot with my 70-200 2.8 IS.

Yeah, that totally didn't fly. It was almost like I walked up to the ticket booth with a RPG and dynamite strapped to my chest.

When cameras aren't allowed, they post big flyers on every door that say "No Cameras Allowed." There wasn't any today. Like 3 bouncers came up and stood next to me, giving me the stink eye, while someone "checked with management." After about 15 seconds he came back and said no cameras allowed tonight.

I went in to the show and saw a few DSLRs (but much less than normal). Really enjoyed the show without a camera though. It was awesome. I took some with my iphone, since everyone else was.

The light in this picture was actually pure white. Way to go color detection.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's why the 85mm f/1.8 is awesome: it looks totally non-threatening, and it provides pretty decent reach on a crop. The drawback is that no one makes a stabilized 85 yet.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

dunkman posted:

The light in this picture was actually pure white. Way to go color detection.

Color detection is hard when the light is low and far away. If you're shooting with auto white balance from that far from the stage, you can't really expect it to give you something all that accurate. This why every photo I take is RAW. I rarely keep my white balance exactly where I shot it, and deeeefinitely not for concert shots. Not that you can shoot raw on a phone.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Bands that don't move around and have crowd interaction are boring in my book

Here are a few from the last show I shot with my old body (XTi) with an f/4 lens (Sigma 10-20mm)

With the Punches:

Transit:

Transit again:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Did the frontman leave to return to middle earth after the show? Jesus that kid is tiny.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

pr0digal posted:

Photos

I've always loved your shots, what do you use to light them?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AtomicManiac posted:

I've always loved your shots, what do you use to light them?

Thanks! I use a 430EX at 1/2 power diffused by a cool whip can with a t-shirt over it. I alternate between on and off camera depending on the lighting situation. If I remember correctly the two Transit shots are taken with the 430EX off camera.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

pr0digal posted:

Thanks! I use a 430EX at 1/2 power diffused by a cool whip can with a t-shirt over it. I alternate between on and off camera depending on the lighting situation. If I remember correctly the two Transit shots are taken with the 430EX off camera.

Picture of that flash set up please and thank you.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

Bojanglesworth posted:

I'm seconding this request. In part because I almost don't believe it.

Also, by off camera do you mean on a synch chord or with a trigger?

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 9, 2010

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

AtomicManiac posted:

I'm seconding this request. In part because I almost don't believe it.

Also, by off camera do you mean on a synch chord or with a trigger?

I am imagining the flash in one hand, stretched out as far as possible with a sync cable between the body and the flash. This is pretty much the requirement if you want to "shoot" for local DC hipster jackoff blog, Brightest Young Things:

http://www.brightestyoungthings.com/category/photo-posts/

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Guys, it's not that complicated. A TTL flash with a bouncer is easy to use. Even just on the hot shoe it'll give decent results.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

HPL posted:

Guys, it's not that complicated. A TTL flash with a bouncer is easy to use. Even just on the hot shoe it'll give decent results.

I hope my post didn't insinuate that I wanted anything to do with the result of those photos. I just want to see how a cool whip can with a t-shirt on it yields any results. No offense to pr0digal.

edit: regarding my previous post about Brightest Young Things and how they are absurd, case in point:

Bojanglesworth fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 9, 2010

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Yea, I'm just trying to imagine the thing.

I use a 430exii with an omni bounce. It works pretty well but I don't get shots like that. I usually bounce it at 45degrees at around 1/16 - 1/4th, f/2.8 iso 400.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

AtomicManiac posted:

Yea, I'm just trying to imagine the thing.

I use a 430exii with an omni bounce. It works pretty well but I don't get shots like that. I usually bounce it at 45degrees at around 1/16 - 1/4th, f/2.8 iso 400.

I shot this with a 580ex2 on the hotshoe with a lovely diffuser from ritz. How is that omni bounce thing?

Click here for the full 904x643 image.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

I shot this with a 580ex2 on the hotshoe with a lovely diffuser from ritz. How is that omni bounce thing?

Click here for the full 904x643 image.

Pretty cool, these are both at 45 degrees, the first is slow (1/15?) and the other is faster around 1/100. I don't remember the flash settings, so it was probably set to auto.

Bonus shot of KEN Mode, this guy brings "Mic Eating" to a whole new level, by Swallowing the mic as he screamed:

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 9, 2010

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Three Trapped Tigers

Talons

Japandroids

Japandroids

All shot with Fuji Neopan 1600, and a manual 50mm 1.7/f

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Bojanglesworth posted:

Can do! I use radio triggers from eBay. I'll have a picture up in a few minutes. Also on the Transit pictures I was mistaken for those particular ones I did not use the flash off camera. However they were still shot half power diffused by my coolwhip container. I'll have those pictures up momentarily. I have to change things around now since I upgraded to a 5D Mark II and lost my 10-20mm.

I came up with the idea of the diffuser in the first place because the 10-20 was so wide that normal flash (even shot at TTL on hotshoe) made a weird circle around the subject so I made my diffuser which worked wonderfully. I have a 24-70 which is wide on the 5D so I think I will stick with my diffuser and modify as I see fit.

This one I did:

and this one from another band:

And here we go! Click for large

Click here for the full 683x1024 image.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 9, 2010

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!
Any of you guys shooting Bonnaroo this weekend? I'm going with the local alt. weekly. I didn't get a photo pass (mostly because I didn't push for one like the idiot I am), but it'll be a good time.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

pr0digal posted:

Can do! I use radio triggers from eBay. I'll have a picture up in a few minutes. Also on the Transit pictures I was mistaken for those particular ones I did not use the flash off camera. However they were still shot half power diffused by my coolwhip container. I'll have those pictures up momentarily. I have to change things around now since I upgraded to a 5D Mark II and lost my 10-20mm.

I came up with the idea of the diffuser in the first place because the 10-20 was so wide that normal flash (even shot at TTL on hotshoe) made a weird circle around the subject so I made my diffuser which worked wonderfully. I have a 24-70 which is wide on the 5D so I think I will stick with my diffuser and modify as I see fit.

This one I did:

and this one from another band:

And here we go! Click for large

Very interesting. Props for thinking outside of the box and coming up with something that actually works, very well I may add.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
gently caress punk shows

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Bojanglesworth posted:

Very interesting. Props for thinking outside of the box and coming up with something that actually works, very well I may add.

Thanks, I decided that there was no point in buying an omni-bounce or a sto-fen when I could just make my own out of stuff I found around the house. There is also tinfoil on the inside.

Also: I, Butthole that loving sucks. I've been to a lot of punk/hardcore shows with my camera and have managed to avoid that. I'll be more careful at the next one I photograph defiantly.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

gently caress punk shows

That sucks, you have insurance for your gear, right? RIGHT?

pr0digal posted:

Thanks, I decided that there was no point in buying an omni-bounce or a sto-fen when I could just make my own out of stuff I found around the house. There is also tinfoil on the inside.

True that. Good work.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I, Butthole posted:

gently caress punk shows

How did that happen? I've been to lots of punk shows and have come close to breaking lots of stuff, but not the top glass.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

How did that happen? I've been to lots of punk shows and have come close to breaking lots of stuff, but not the top glass.

My money is on rogue crowd surfer foot.

The worst that ever happened to me was at Warped Tour when I was hit with a full water bottle in the back of the neck. Normally it wouldn't have been that terrible but it was FROZEN.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

My money is on rogue crowd surfer foot.

The worst that ever happened to me was at Warped Tour when I was hit with a full water bottle in the back of the neck. Normally it wouldn't have been that terrible but it was FROZEN.

I once got hit by a shoe when Bane was playing. I was off to the side after my three songs were up looking at the crowd and a shoe comes flying out of nowhere and bonks me on the head.

The other photographers thought it was hilarious

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I rarely shoot shows but I got to do another one in Chicago on Saturday night. These were my three favorites from the show:

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

RangerScum posted:

I rarely shoot shows but I got to do another one in Chicago on Saturday night. These were my three favorites from the show:

I really really like that first one. Care to share gear and settings?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Bojanglesworth posted:

I really really like that first one. Care to share gear and settings?

Thanks!

Nikon D700
24-70mm f2.8

Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 24 mm
ISO Speed: 3200

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

pr0digal posted:

I once got hit by a shoe when Bane was playing. I was off to the side after my three songs were up looking at the crowd and a shoe comes flying out of nowhere and bonks me on the head.

The other photographers thought it was hilarious

I honestly can't count the number of times I've been hit by a shoe on my hands. The list of things I've been hit with include:

- Shoes
- Large empty cardboard boxes
- Water bottles (full, empty, FROZEN)
- Cups
- Beer
- Ice
- CDs
- Condoms (not used)
- Pretzels
- Hot dog
- Hats
- Cell Phones
- Bottle of Advil (I laughed at the irony)
- Empty purse

I'm sure there's more, but that is the list I could come up with off the top of my head. If you shoot enough outdoor punk and metal festivals you pretty much expect to get hit with something at least once.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

HPL posted:

Rogue beer bottle.

rockcity posted:

I honestly can't count the number of times I've been hit by a shoe on my hands. The list of things I've been hit with include:

- Shoes
- Large empty cardboard boxes
- Water bottles (full, empty, FROZEN)
- Cups
- Beer
- Ice
- CDs
- Condoms (not used)
- Pretzels
- Hot dog
- Hats
- Cell Phones
- Bottle of Advil (I laughed at the irony)
- Empty purse

I'm sure there's more, but that is the list I could come up with off the top of my head. If you shoot enough outdoor punk and metal festivals you pretty much expect to get hit with something at least once.

Pretty much. I've hardly been hit with anything at festivals and shows, but mostly I get clocked in the back of the head by a crowd surfer. The first festival I shot, I rented a 5D Mark 2 with a 16-35, it was a very small and narrow pit, got kicked in the back of the head and went lens-first into the stage. Thank christ for protective filters.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Oddly, one of the worse whacks I've ever received was at a regular rock concert. I was winding my way through the crowd and this girl was dancing with her arms in the air, eyes kind of closed. Just as I'm walking past her, she swings her arm down with great force in time with the down beat as the chorus kicks in and wallops me upside the head. She was a bit embarrassed about that.

Guess there's a downside to being too stealthy when going from shooting position to shooting position.

As a side note, if you ever get a chance to shoot Black Label Society, do it. The band isn't very active on stage, but the crowd is a hoot.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

I've hardly been hit with anything at festivals and shows, but mostly I get clocked in the back of the head by a crowd surfer.
Pretty much this. They can't really help where they're going to get carried (or dumped), so you just have to watch out.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

As a side note, if you ever get a chance to shoot Black Label Society, do it. The band isn't very active on stage, but the crowd is a hoot.

They are so god damned boring to shoot. I shot them once years ago and have ignored them at every proceeding Ozzfest. I will continue that trend this year, which works out because my buddies in Nonpoint are opening the main stage this year.

Oh and regarding crowd surfers coming in to the barricade. This is the single best tip I can ever give you to help avoid that. Make friends with security. The more I get to know security at each venue and the more they know me personally, the better they are in helping you out with this. There are certain venues I don't even have to worry because if I get a quick tap on my shoulder from one of them, it's them letting me know to move a few feet to the side and I never have to turn around. The only shows I get hit by crowd surfers anymore are the big outdoor festivals.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

They are so god damned boring to shoot. I shot them once years ago and have ignored them at every proceeding Ozzfest. I will continue that trend this year, which works out because my buddies in Nonpoint are opening the main stage this year.

Oh and regarding crowd surfers coming in to the barricade. This is the single best tip I can ever give you to help avoid that. Make friends with security. The more I get to know security at each venue and the more they know me personally, the better they are in helping you out with this. There are certain venues I don't even have to worry because if I get a quick tap on my shoulder from one of them, it's them letting me know to move a few feet to the side and I never have to turn around. The only shows I get hit by crowd surfers anymore are the big outdoor festivals.

A note on crowds: get crowd shots. Bands love it. If it is a no barrier show get shots of the crowd interacting with the band, get shots of crowd surfers, get shots of the mosh pit.

You don't even have the time to even look, just point and shoot and hope for the best. Odd strategy but it works out sometimes.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

rockcity posted:

Oh and regarding crowd surfers coming in to the barricade. This is the single best tip I can ever give you to help avoid that. Make friends with security.

No kidding. If security yells at you to move when you're in the photo pit, it's usually for a damned good reason. They have a job to do too. And if it's a show with lots of surfers and poo poo flying around, keep your head on a swivel.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Here's a question: If you get pictures of someone being hurt, do you keep them or delete them out of respect?

Specifically the drummer in the opener tonight had a seizure on stage. At first he turned his head and look horrified, and since it was an experimental band it looked like part of the act... until he fell into the drum kit and knocked it over and the guitarist and his bass player freaked out and asked to call 911.

I guess the question is if you had a seizure would you want pictures of it? I personally wouldn't mind them, but my friend/assistant told me to delete them. Thoughts? They're not particularly amazing shots, but if you know the story they make for some decent images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AtomicManiac posted:

I guess the question is if you had a seizure would you want pictures of it? I personally wouldn't mind them, but my friend/assistant told me to delete them. Thoughts? They're not particularly amazing shots, but if you know the story they make for some decent images.

I wouldn't delete them, but I probably wouldn't publish them. Generally I don't publish or post photos where the musicians look bad unless it's bad in an awesome way like a bloody nose or something.