Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
He offers that advice to people who don't depend on luck anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

But he ignores that all his effort was paired with a very lucky break and meeting the right guy at the right time.

You could say that about a lot of successful people. Opportunities often become lucky breaks when one is prepared to identify and capitalize on them.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I just can't get into the TACS. Why he doesn't realize that every radio guy from a hack in the smallest market to Rush Limbaugh does "angry rants".

The heart of Loveline, was the character analysis. It was like sitting at the mall with the two sharpest people watchers in the universe.

e:
im not sure if its been mentioned, but I just listened to the 1999 Pennywise episode where Fletcher barricaded himself in the sound booth, took drew and adam hostage and threatened to go to "Poo Poo City".

its a must listen if you guys havent heard it yet. the powerlessness in the voice of Adam trying to charm, and Drew trying to reason with this 6'6 300lb inebriated giant is hilarious.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 9, 2010

Mustang Sally
Apr 14, 2006
I listened to the Loveline shows as they aired originally and one thing that was repeated on those shows really stuck with me.

Adam and Drew, at various times and in different ways, repeated that if a father doesn't treat his daughter well, she'll grow up to be his nightmare. Don't take care of your daughter, you're sending her straight to the stripper pole, guys.

A woman is screwed up, think first "Where's her father? What did he do?".

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Mustang Sally posted:

I listened to the Loveline shows as they aired originally and one thing that was repeated on those shows really stuck with me.

Adam and Drew, at various times and in different ways, repeated that if a father doesn't treat his daughter well, she'll grow up to be his nightmare. Don't take care of your daughter, you're sending her straight to the stripper pole, guys.

the early, primary relationships leave the greatest impression on emotional development and colors interpersonal relations our whole lives. Woman are more affected than men.

The underpinnings of almost every call.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 9, 2010

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

Mustang Sally posted:

Oddly enough they get into it today on the show too.

Norville Rogers
Oct 17, 2004
Like, zoinks!
So my girlfriend had to take emergency contraception today and on the bottle it says "levonorgestrel" and I started laughing like a hyena and she wanted to know why so I had to put http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETuKu7Cq32I on and she didn't find it amusing. Here's to hoping it works!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Which show is that?

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Found a video from 2008 with Dr. Spazz in it (warning: contains Stryker):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot4EgiJvnbM

UltraRed posted:

Which show is that?

09/07/2005.

Instrumedley fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 9, 2010

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

CatchrNdRy posted:

any rumors if drew's kids are going crazy? In an old loveline Adam made the comment that it wouldn't be more than few years before they called the show.

and here is the very first loveline host, bitter and poor turning on Drew

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/a-clockwork-orange/poorman-dr-drew-pinsky-cocaine-1/

Sooo weird... Just last night I listened to 5-11-03 with Dr Bruce filling in because Drew had surgery and Adam in the middle of the show (I think Adam might have been drinking at JKL) and he just starts laying into Drew about him doing coke and going on binges. I actually thought it was kind of cruel since well... It's Drew and he wasn't there to defend himself.

Weird.

The Sender
May 31, 2008

The lines in the road, are just decoration!
$$ Internet Prick $$

Norville Rogers posted:

So my girlfriend had to take emergency contraception today and on the bottle it says "levonorgestrel" and I started laughing like a hyena and she wanted to know why so I had to put http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETuKu7Cq32I on and she didn't find it amusing. Here's to hoping it works!

Your woman just doesn't have a sense of humor, and I don't know if I could hang out with her.

..But hey at least you're having sex.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Judakel posted:

This was all just sparked by one of his bootstraps rants. The way he talks about it makes it seem as if Adam honestly believes that there is more separating him from being dirt poor than just sheer luck. The tremendous talent that got him that sitcom he was working on perhaps? The Hammer has been the only halfway decent thing he has ever produced on his own and it is clear that by his own means he could not have accomplished even half of what he has accomplished in his life.

The main thrust of his argument is that "if you're talented and work hard, you're going to go places, and if you're not, you won't." So, he throws luck out the window and says that he's where he's at just by pure talent and hard work. But, he abandons this line of thinking with The Hammer, which was denied from Sundance because of what Carolla says is outside sources (the liberals at Sundance don't want the Man Show guy showing a movie, etc). Why Carolla can so clearly see that a biased third party can affect one's career in a negative way but not a positive way is beyond me...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Judakel posted:

I don't think Adam realizes how much of a factor the sheer luck of meeting Jimmy was in providing him with all the opportunities he has had in his life. Even his ongoing success in broadcasting is largely based around the lucky fact that Drew plays such a natural straight-man and hardly a product of his own hard work given his attitude towards Loveline. The fanbase created during those years has been the main reason he has had a semi-successful career after Loveline at all. I am sure some loved his work afterwards on its own merits but they pale in comparison to those that prefer his work on Loveline.

This was all just sparked by one of his bootstraps rants. The way he talks about it makes it seem as if Adam honestly believes that there is more separating him from being dirt poor than just sheer luck. The tremendous talent that got him that sitcom he was working on perhaps? The Hammer has been the only halfway decent thing he has ever produced on his own and it is clear that by his own means he could not have accomplished even half of what he has accomplished in his life.

Yeah, I think this is probably Adam's central "too human" issue, at least when it comes to expressing his views: he has strong principles, but he's inconsistent in holding true to them. As I pointed out earlier, you can see it in his positions on torture: evidence suggests that torture, doesn't work, but hey, humans have been doing it for ten thousand years, so there must be some value to it. On the other hand, religion and astrology? Retarded superstition.

Obviously, this is a pretty common problem for people to have, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating when it comes from someone you otherwise respect.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
Wasn't Jimmy just some random local radio show personality at the time? Yeah he got Adam a start, but no one outside LA really listened to Loveline before Adam made it actually funny anyways right?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Watommi posted:

Wasn't Jimmy just some random local radio show personality at the time? Yeah he got Adam a start, but no one outside LA really listened to Loveline before Adam made it actually funny anyways right?

Jimmy was "Jimmy the Sports Guy" at KROQ in LA, and Adam was brought in to do his "Mr. Birchum" bits.

I still have my 1996 "Christmastime in the LCB" cassette with them both on there doing their respective skits.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Majorian posted:

Yeah, I think this is probably Adam's central "too human" issue, at least when it comes to expressing his views: he has strong principles, but he's inconsistent in holding true to them. As I pointed out earlier, you can see it in his positions on torture: evidence suggests that torture, doesn't work, but hey, humans have been doing it for ten thousand years, so there must be some value to it. On the other hand, religion and astrology? Retarded superstition.

Obviously, this is a pretty common problem for people to have, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating when it comes from someone you otherwise respect.

In yesterday's podcast, Carolla said that people don't really change that much, they're the same person as they were in junior high as they are as an adult, on today's show with Jay Mohr, he said human beings are better than other animals for their ability to change as they grow older.

Rockefeller
Oct 23, 2004

Wow, guys, really? He's a borderline white trash guy who did some radio and was good at it. What's with this pedestal placement? You sound like you've been upset and betrayed or something.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Watommi posted:

Adam coached Jimmy for some boxing skit. Jimmy brought Adam in to do some Birchum skits. Those skits got Adam a shot with Loveline. The chemistry between Adam and Drew made Loveline popular.

Rockefeller posted:

Wow, guys, really? He's a borderline white trash guy who did some radio and was good at it. What's with this pedestal placement? You sound like you've been upset and betrayed or something.

That's pretty much what most of us are saying actually. More or less...

Godspell
Jan 8, 2005
Welding is fun!
Dammit Adam brought up the vultures arnt birds of prey again, easily his worst offense to date. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_of_prey

Birds of loving prey.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Edit: Little bit too inviting for a derail into WWII history. See post below.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 9, 2010

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Omnicarus posted:

I enjoyed the five minute rant about Stalin being worse than Hitler today. It was a wonderful historical summary based entirely on History Channel shows and movies.

He really was though. Unless the deaths of millions of Russians is somehow superceded by the deaths of lesser millions of Jews/gypsies/gays/etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Omnicarus posted:

I enjoyed the five minute rant about Stalin being worse than Hitler today. It was a wonderful historical summary based entirely on History Channel shows and movies.

And history books that he's never read. It depends how exactly you're defining "worse" but I'd say by any measure, Stalin was at least as bad as Hitler. Hitler just overshadows a whole period of awful people, so Stalin, Mao, and Tojo really get off lightly.

The only historical inaccuracy there was Truman was as or more hostile toward Stalin than Stalin was toward him, and should share in the blame for the Cold War.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

BorderPatrol posted:

Jimmy was "Jimmy the Sports Guy" at KROQ in LA, and Adam was brought in to do his "Mr. Birchum" bits.

I still have my 1996 "Christmastime in the LCB" cassette with them both on there doing their respective skits.

Rip that poo poo toot sweet.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Magnificent Quiver posted:

He really was though. Unless the deaths of millions of Russians is somehow superceded by the deaths of lesser millions of Jews/gypsies/gays/etc.

Grand Fromage posted:

And history books that he's never read. It depends how exactly you're defining "worse" but I'd say by any measure, Stalin was at least as bad as Hitler.

The only historical inaccuracy there was Truman was as or more hostile toward Stalin than Stalin was toward him, and should share in the blame for the Cold War.

I don't want to derail into a historical debate especially in a Loveline thread so I won't be retorting here. I'd be happy to list primary and secondary sources that counter these arguments and will do so if you'd like(Just PM me :) )

I am going to edit my original post to make sure it doesn't derail en masse. I don't want either of you to think that I am ninja-editing or anything of that nature. I was just a little short sighted and didn't consider that my comment could be inflammatory.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Omnicarus posted:

I don't want to derail into a historical debate especially in a Loveline thread so I won't be retorting here. I'd be happy to list primary and secondary sources that counter these arguments and will do so if you'd like(Just PM me :) )

Nah, that's ok. The Russian/Ukrainian famines aren't one of history's mysteries.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's nothing to debate, the Soviet records are pretty complete. The real numbers are quite a bit lower than the estimates floating around before we got access to them, but we're still talking a minimum of around ten million people (not counting war dead). It wasn't an organized genocide like the Holocaust but I don't think that makes it better.

And this is all assuming a "number of people killed = amount of badness" way of looking at things, which is nonsense.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Counting some of the war dead would make sense, because what's the real difference between a civilian dying at the hand of their own government, and a civilian getting drafted and thrown in front of a machine gun with no weapon or ammo?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That opens up all kinds of cans of worms, it's easier to just not count war dead in these situations. For example, yeah, the Soviets had massive massive casualties. What was Stalin supposed to do though, let the Nazis take over? They didn't have a lot of options. If the Nazis hadn't invaded there wouldn't have been the slaughter, and Stalin wasn't responsible for the invasion. And this is just scratching the surface, so as I said, easier not to include them.

The no weapon thing is largely a myth though so you're not helping. :buddy:

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Guys, remember that one time Adam farted?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Mmm... just sitting here, thinking about the Holocaust.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nemo posted:

Drew sitting in the hallway on an overturned trash can, gasping for breath, microphone in one hand and puke bag in the other.

Glorious.

Zahgaegun posted:

Mmm... just sitting here, thinking about the Holocaust.

Derail won't get any better than this, I'm done.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Nemo posted:

The man is a genius.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Nemo posted:

That is possibly the funniest episode of Loveline.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

White
Isolated
Chubby
Chicks
And
Nature

Absolutely brilliant.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Nemo posted:

I really don't find the fart shows/humor funny at all. I guess I'm aligned more with Anderson/Drew in that regard. I usually fast forward through it.

On another note, I found another awkward "Adam chews out Drew live on air" moment. This one was pretty bad, because it was in front of guests. 3/15/200 - Mo Collins & Debra Wilson about halfway through the show, Adam starts berating Drew for concentrating on his computer instead of the show for like 5 minutes straight. Kind of uncomfortable.

Liface fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 10, 2010

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Holy poo poo, he's got Fred Willard on for today's podcast. I need to get to sleep, but I can't wait to listen to this. Please God let there be improv.

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

Jay Mohr was great on the podcast today. Say what you want about the guy, he's still funny as hell.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
What happened to the days where we talked about Drew and Adam making fun of stupid callers and posting links?

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Rack posted:

What happened to the days where we talked about Drew and Adam making fun of stupid callers and posting links?

Please folks no tangents we know Adam abhors tangents of all kinds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The stream currently has the show with the people against the morning-after pill and right to life members.

This is uncomfortable.

• Locked thread