Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

Should it stay or should it go?

I would take it out. The other stuff is so much better than it and it really doesn't add anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

Eoin: Did you ever try out that zbrush image plane plugin?

I started playing with it a few months ago actually.
It's pretty useful, recently I haven't been doing much texture projection so I never really got to use it on a project. The reference image plane is nice but also, I don't use them too much on my personal stuff since I'm trying to improve my observation. It definitely makes Zbrush better though.

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
Insanely noob question:

How do you import sound into 3DS Max 2010???

In earlier versions I remember there being an option in the curve editor, under "tracks," but in this version I only get the option to add a visibility or a note track. Google was no help, and neither was the help file.
What the hell, guys?

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

Morton Haynice posted:

Insanely noob question:

How do you import sound into 3DS Max 2010???

Open up the curve editor and double click on the sound on the left hand side?

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
I don't see it?

EDIT: Nevermind. Figured it out. Must be a glitch due to opening an older Max file w/ 2010. Merged all the objects into a 2010 file and now I see the full hierarchy in the curve editor.

Morton Haynice fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 3, 2010

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Saw this blog floating around work, never thought much of it until I noticed that 1 or 2 other forums [including cgtalk] is deleting any reference to it on their respective sites.

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/

I think some of the articles and comments are hitting a bit too close to home for some people.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

BigKOfJustice posted:

Saw this blog floating around work, never thought much of it until I noticed that 1 or 2 other forums [including cgtalk] is deleting any reference to it on their respective sites.

I think some of the articles and comments are hitting a bit too close to home for some people.

That company review site he links to in "The Mission" post is a great idea, but after browsing it for a bit, seems like it has just attracted angry people so far. Should be cool once it gets its legs and balances, though.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

BigKOfJustice posted:

"Hey look I will bitch about the industry while remaining anonymous."

I totally agree with Leigh's post at cgtalk over this.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6531440&postcount=2

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm working on my first film at the moment
That blog is kind of a depressing read, interesting though. Makes me wonder if I want to keep going in films.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I knew the stuff in the blog happens but I didnt think it was as bad as he's making it out to be. It sounds like he's just lost his job and needs to vent.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

keyframe posted:

I totally agree with Leigh's post at cgtalk over this.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6531440&postcount=2

My opinion is generally if you are not happy with the work environment, try another studio. I lucked out where all my jobs had good benefits and paid overtime and generally I tend to work at a place for 3-5 years at a time. I never really had to change jobs project to project.

I can understand the need to be anonymous if you want to raise a controversial point. I've seen people who got pulled into the office to explain different forum posts before [because they used their work email or company as their profile/signature]. I know one of TD who was fired over a facebook post.

If the post or article is valid then it shouldn't matter if it came from "Bruce Shaderwrither, Pigaxle studios" vs "firebird1979".

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Might sound like a dumb question, but here I am checking over some awesome artist's 3d portfolio that Sigma linked, when I come across this:

Click here for the full 1100x810 image.

Now when he's putting that hi-poly together, is he taking pieces away and adding those dings and bits of uneven surface in Zbrush/Mudbox or what?

I've that L85 model nearing completion that could REALLY loving DO with some of this kind of roughness.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

keyframe posted:

Please explain,

Why does the fact he wishes to remain anonymous can't make him touch legitimate points about the wrongs in ''the industry''?

^^ (edit) Yeah, it's probably a mix between hard edge sculpting and organics in zbrush or another package.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 9, 2010

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Aliginge posted:

Might sound like a dumb question, but here I am checking over some awesome artist's 3d portfolio that Sigma linked, when I come across this:

Click here for the full 1100x810 image.

Now when he's putting that hi-poly together, is he taking pieces away and adding those dings and bits of uneven surface in Zbrush/Mudbox or what?

I've that L85 model nearing completion that could REALLY loving DO with some of this kind of roughness.

yeah he does subd modeling and then zbrushes it for the wear.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

That engine looks pretty cool, it's reasonable to assume it was a hard edged model that is dinged up in mudbox/zbrush. I love the welds around the starter bracket. The turbocharger modelling just seems off a bit [having worked on diesel engines] but it could be the angle.

I'm starting to work on a few personal models at home, haven't figured out what it's going to be, a few characters I'll eventually rig for a short, I'll post some images when I get rolling. Probably use mudbox and maya for rigging and houdini/mantra for rendering.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Trying to model a Galil, i'm currently having difficulties with two places that seem to smooth incorrectly.

Click here for the full 1309x407 image.

ideas?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Odddzy posted:

Trying to model a Galil, i'm currently having difficulties with two places that seem to smooth incorrectly.

Click here for the full 1309x407 image.

ideas?

If I'm reading your image correctly, you're wondering why the smoothing is much broader there as opposed to the left side of the object where the highlights are tight?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

I'd extend that row of polygons right to to the end rather than have it terminate in a triangle on a very noticeable profile change of the surface.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

BigKOfJustice posted:

I'd extend that row of polygons right to to the end rather than have it terminate in a triangle on a very noticeable profile change of the surface.

That's what I would say as well. Tri's can do some weird things during smoothing in any case, but your highlights get broad like that because of the way the smoothing algorithms average through edges. It uses math to draw through an edge as gradually as possible in order to meet the next edge as gradually as possible. The closer 2 edges are to each other, the straighter (less rounded) surrounding smoothed polys will be. Here's a crappy image I drew to illustrate:

The left version smooths gradually from one edge, through the 2nd and into the 3rd. The right image has more information, so it doesn't have to be so broad in its smoothing.

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm confused as hell here.
What would cause issues like this?

Click here for the full 1240x768 image.

Railing between 2 curves, why does it spaz out and give me such a weird surface?

It's 2 pieces, the first seemed to work an absolute treat, it's just the bottom one that won't work and I don't understand why.

Modelling cars is impossible. I swear I should stick to electronics and stuff :(

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
It'd help if you showed us a wireframe and possibly your normals if it's a poly surface.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A5H posted:

I'm confused as hell here.
What would cause issues like this?

Click here for the full 1240x768 image.

Railing between 2 curves, why does it spaz out and give me such a weird surface?

It's 2 pieces, the first seemed to work an absolute treat, it's just the bottom one that won't work and I don't understand why.

Modelling cars is impossible. I swear I should stick to electronics and stuff :(

Smoothing would only do that if there were 2 edges on top of each other. How did you construct this and what's it made out of?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Nurbs or Polygons?

Probably inconsistent surface toplogy. If it's nurbs modelling it gets converted into polygons for rendering and any surfaces that isn't really that clean will give really strange rendering artifacts or cracks.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It's nurbs so the wireframes are really basic.
I rebuilt the surfaces in 1 sweep instead of 2 and so now it's a little better.
Still strange though, I don't see what's difficult about such a simple shape.
Trying to put together a front bumper and bonnet now :suicide:

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Solution: Don't model in NURBS.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I'm making a spaceship for my source mod about space pirates.

It needs something on the bottom. Maybe some sweet guns?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ceebee posted:

Unless you want to work at Dreamworks :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

theta-ix posted:

Aint a space pirate if it doesnt have a space mermaid strapped to the front.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

theta-ix posted:

that's a mighty fine penis you got there. :v:

I kid, but I think you should add some more details to the front. Partly to stop it looking so much like a penis and partly to match the details on the rest of the ship. This could of course just be texture details but whatever suits your fancy. Oh, and it really needs some sweet guns.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

theta-ix posted:

Maybe two life-support globes at the stern there...

e:f,b

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Everything I create is a penis :negative:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

ceebee posted:

at least use a proper nurbs package - rhino/solidworks etc.

I'd reccomend starting with the spline cage and edge extrusion method, then go back to nurbs. It's fickle as gently caress if it's your starting point.

(if you're in max, give up now)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It's rhino. I'm just poo poo at stuff that doesn't basically start off as a bunch of primitives. It's also my first time doing stuff over view-port images.

:negative:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Have you drawn a full spline cage over all the important areas of the car? I've been told to only use images to re-draw splines over, then move the splines in 3d to get the main lines in then model over that.

You can use those as boundaries for the panels - it makes it much easier to gently caress up and break sections off/redo bits too. It'll take longer to start but you'll save time down the line.

I cant actually figure out whats up from the render, can you post a wire and shaded viewport?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

Have you drawn a full spline cage over all the important areas of the car? I've been told to only use images to re-draw splines over, then move the splines in 3d to get the main lines in then model over that.

You can use those as boundaries for the panels - it makes it much easier to gently caress up and break sections off/redo bits too. It'll take longer to start but you'll save time down the line.

I cant actually figure out whats up from the render, can you post a wire and shaded viewport?

I literally have no idea where to start doing that :(
To tell you the truth I think I'm hosed. My final project and I've totally screwed it up. 75% of my degree. loving hell.

Wire + shaded:

Click here for the full 1204x624 image.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I think they're being classed as seperate surfaces instead of joined. You've not hosed up anyway - it's impossible to totally gently caress up unless you miss a deadline. Just have another go.

Have you had a look at all the rhino tutorials on the site? I've not used it in about 5 years so I cant remember anything technical/tool names, sorry :(

For the guides - In side view, draw splines around the important lines/panels on the car, then go into front and shift them to where they're supposed to be. Keep doing that until you've got a rough 3d sketch of unconnected lines, and use that as a layout guide instead of the images.

edit: http://www.3dvault.net/Wyatt/one.html
it's kinda messy, but it might be worth a read.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 11, 2010

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

I think they're being classed as seperate surfaces instead of joined. You've not hosed up anyway - it's impossible to totally gently caress up unless you miss a deadline. Just have another go.

Have you had a look at all the rhino tutorials on the site? I've not used it in about 5 years so I cant remember anything technical/tool names, sorry :(

For the guides - In side view, draw splines around the important lines/panels on the car, then go into front and shift them to where they're supposed to be. Keep doing that until you've got a rough 3d sketch of unconnected lines, and use that as a layout guide instead of the images.

edit: http://www.3dvault.net/Wyatt/one.html
it's kinda messy, but it might be worth a read.

Thanks man :)
I'll give it a look now.
According to rhino's edge tools, they are joined. It's really strange.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

For 75% of the problems I've ever run into in 3d work, it wouldve been faster and easier to solve if I had just started that section over again. Often trying to recreate a mistake I've made makes it disappear. :)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

A5H posted:

I literally have no idea where to start doing that :(
To tell you the truth I think I'm hosed. My final project and I've totally screwed it up. 75% of my degree. loving hell.

Wire + shaded:

Click here for the full 1204x624 image.

wait how the hell do you literally have a degree ending project and not know how to do it?

I don't understand how that can happen

and yeah, in general, scrapping something and re-doing it tends to help more than trying to tweak something into working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

wait how the hell do you literally have a degree ending project and not know how to do it?

I don't understand how that can happen

My degree is in automotive design. I don't have to use a piece 3D software, I just really want to.

I've modelled boats etc before. I'm just having a nightmare with the car.

Here's a boat interior just to show I'm not 100% retarded :) :

E: I'll show the exterior/upload the video we made if anyone's interested?