Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Gynovore posted:

I've noticed that too. I think the bug is that she never returns from 'running away' mode. If I get bored, I'll d/l the editor and see if she actually has any dialog.

Another thing, the scientist chick by the UC in Versalife always cons red and cannot be spoken to. I usually go into Versalife with guns blazing, but I did a sneaky approach this time, made it to the up/down ramp without alerting anyone, and she was still red. Bug?

I'm pretty sure she's always red, cause really, by this point you are REALLY in a place you aren't supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Cinroth posted:

I'm pretty sure she's always red, cause really, by this point you are REALLY in a place you aren't supposed to be.

Yeah, the only people down there besides her are the MJ12 commandos and some security bots (and Maggie Chow). A nano-augmented dude with glowing eyes and a black trenchcoat and large numbers of weapons would set off a few alarms.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 19, 2011

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DVD Drive posted:

What does she say?

She gives you the security system password and bitches about not having a militia to protect themselves.

Edit:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

You can definitely see all her dialogue as long as you wait for the scripted conversation to finish, but once she stops freaking out she won't budge from her position. In the savegame I took that screenshot from, she absolutely will not move out of that doorway which forces you to use the elevator if you don't want to kill her.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 11, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I think I'd be enjoying the last level to The Nameless Mod more if you didn't have to go to a secret GameSpy base and read emails from the nefarious Fragmaster. No wonder he left Planet Half-Life, if this is what they were up to!

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Similar to what was posted before, this guy did a few covers of Deus Ex music on a piano.

It's been years since I've played through DX and I still know all the music. That loving Hong Kong music will be playing at my funeral I'm sure.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Ninja Rope posted:

Similar to what was posted before, this guy did a few covers of Deus Ex music on a piano.

It's been years since I've played through DX and I still know all the music. That loving Hong Kong music will be playing at my funeral I'm sure.

That version of the UNATCO theme is pretty damned awesome. I like this guy.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!
The Nameless Mod is actually pretty awesome.

Apart from the jumping puzzles.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Astroturf Man posted:

The Nameless Mod is actually pretty awesome.

Apart from the jumping puzzles.

The Old Server Complex was pretty horrible before patches removed the unavoidable damage bits and nerfed those flying bots.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ninja Rope posted:

These are nice. Is there a way to download them? I don't see a link.

Retro-Future Rodent
Jul 30, 2008

Ranked 9327th out of 9328 players worldwide.

Grand Fromage posted:

These are nice. Is there a way to download them? I don't see a link.

Soundclick sucks with it's compulsory login and re-hosting them without the artist's permission would probably be a forum no-no, so you can either make a dummy account and download them, or use this one I made earlier:
Email:compulsoryloginsonly@suremail.info
Password:letmein

Once logged in, go here, there are three arrows next to each track. A black one pointing downwards and two pointing right. Clicking the down arrow downloads the track.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Wait, did TNM have lots of jumping puzzles? Maybe I'm just naturally talented at stupid FPS jumps, I never had trouble with the parts everyone whined about in Half-Life either.

I think my biggest problem with the mod is how drat long so many of the conversations go. In Deus Ex there were a few characters, like the Lucky Money bartender, you could have really long chats with. In The Nameless Mod, everyone wants to chat your ear off. Worst are the conversations between two NPCs you eavesdrop on – if you want to hear the whole thing, there's no way at all to speed it up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

You've really let yourself go with all those candy bars, Sam. What a shame.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
I've never seen so much candy on one mission!

I actually thought that was a funny floor texture at first.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

You've really let yourself go with all those candy bars, Sam. What a shame.

Can you script it so fat people go slower and eventually explode if you feed them more candy?

Because that would be amazing.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
i made some dumb vids. have a look at this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ai4Uf2ZFjc

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
We are making dumb Deus Ex vids? Cool, I made some a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibMW98_Avh8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwq_IUce5Gg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjqZGjxPuzo

[e] who was it that made the video with the GEP gun that fires cats with smoke coming out their rear end and they explode with a screeching noise?

orange lime fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 12, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Holy poo poo, this is amazing. It still uses the peppergun ammo, right? Can you set it to fire flare darts?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Ansob. posted:

Holy poo poo, this is amazing. It still uses the peppergun ammo, right? Can you set it to fire flare darts?

Yep, it uses the peppergun ammo, so you get a hundred shots per canister. When you enter the console command you see in the first video, just set it to "DartFlare" instead to get flare darts.

the general code is
> set [weapon type] projectileclass [projectile type]

There are a whole series of weapons that are treated as projectile launchers, and any one can be made to fire the ammo of any other. I think that all of the following weapon types are projectile launchers:

WeaponEMPGrenade
WeaponFlameThrower
WeaponGasGrenade
WeaponHideAGun - the little tiny stealth plasma thing
WeaponLAM
WeaponLAW
WeaponMiniCrossbow
WeaponNanoVirusGrenade - scrambler grenades
WeaponPepperGun
WeaponPlasmaRifle
WeaponShuriken - throwing knives

The weapon class for the assault gun is WeaponAssaultGun, but I'm not sure if you can projectileclass it into firing other things. Why would you want to, anyway, when you have the pepper gun?

Anyway, those are the weapons, and these are the projectiles:

Rocket - GEP rocket
RocketLAW - LAW rocket
RocketWP - White Phosphorous rocket
Dart
DartPoison - tranquilizer darts
DartFlare
Shuriken - throwing knives
LAM
EMPGrenade
NanoVirusGrenade - scramble grenades
GasGrenade
Fireball - one little cloud of fire from the flamethrower
PlasmaBolt - mini stealth pistol plasma shot, I believe the full rifle shoots 3-5 of these
RocketMini - MJ12 commando rocket
RocketRobot - the rockets the military bots shoot
GreaselSpit - greasel poison
GraySpit - the gray's radiation blast thing
HECannister20mm - assault gun secondary fire, note misspelling
TearGas - one gas grenade/pepper spray cloud
PoisonGas - the green gas from broken poison barrels

So yeah, you can have all the combinations you want. If you want a flamethrower that shoots throwing knives, you can do it. If you want to go all HADOKEN on people, set WeaponShuriken to Fireball and you'll "throw" a fireball instead of a knife. The pepper gun with either the plasma bolt or the gray's radiation blast is one of the most ridiculously overpowered things you can do in the game, aside from the same with RocketLAW, which is kind of pointless because you kill yourself half the time.

Fun stuff though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
This is awesome. Thanks for the info.

orange lime posted:

RocketWP - White Phosphorous rocket

Must... resist... urge... to burn... everything...

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

So I just bought and installed the Steam version to celebrate installing Windows 7 last night, and I'm trying Shifter on unrealistic, and it feels extremely sluggish, like everything is happening in semi-slow-motion. Is this just Unrealistic mode, or is there something I need to fix with Deus Ex?

EDIT: Downloading Fixer helped, or the problem coincidentally went away on its own.

Fnoigy fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 12, 2010

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Is there any way to set sensitivity to a value less than 1? I've tried editing the ini's MouseSensitivity value (to no obvious effect) and using "set <a dozen variations on MouseSensitivity>" using the "bind a key to talk and use it like a one-line console" method (and it complains about there being no such class or similar). The game feels so twitchy on a 1200dpi mouse even at 1 sensitivity.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ansob. posted:

Can you script it so fat people go slower and eventually explode if you feed them more candy?

Because that would be amazing.

Someone earlier, either in this thread or the JC Tenton one, posted a candy bar launcher that made people fatter and exploded them after three or four hits.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I've got a few questions about Shifter.

On Unrealistic mode, do enemies actually HOLD different weapons, or do they just fire their weapons as if they were something random? I went through Liberty Island and there was just one guy that shot plasma rifle shots, but didn't have any plasma rifle, and everybody use just shoots exploding pistols or regular tranquilizer darts. Is this how it's supposed to be?

I think I may not have installed it right, since I also found out that combat strength and microfibril muscle were supposed to be merged, but I found the aug canister and they weren't. I followed the readme's instructions, moving the two files into my Deus Ex system folder (creating backup copies of the originals, of course). Is there something those using the Steam version and/or running it on Windows 7 are supposed to do differently?

Also, I'm using the Fixer app, if that makes a difference (the universe was going only maybe 75% as fast as it should, which got really annoying really fast).

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

orange lime posted:

Yep, it uses the peppergun ammo, so you get a hundred shots per canister. When you enter the console command you see in the first video, just set it to "DartFlare" instead to get flare darts.

the general code is
> set [weapon type] projectileclass [projectile type]

There are a whole series of weapons that are treated as projectile launchers, and any one can be made to fire the ammo of any other. I think that all of the following weapon types are projectile launchers:

Can the GEP Gun be modified to shoot high-velocity clouds of pepper spray at distant targets?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

bartkusa posted:

Can the GEP Gun be modified to shoot high-velocity clouds of pepper spray at distant targets?

It can, but not with that console command -- you need to fire up UnrealEd. The projectiles always behave as if they were fired by their original weapon, but at the rate of the "host". With the command, the GEP gun would fire a single slowly-reloading cloud of pepper spray that drifted in front of your face.

Also, caveat emptor: it will change the projectile class for all weapons of that type currently in the level, including those carried by enemies. I got gibbed pretty good last night by a thug firing a LAW rocket from his mini-crossbow.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

John Dough posted:

Don't they also have machine guns in their arms?

Yeah, but I don't think they use them unless they're right on top of you. I fully upgraded my aggressive defense by the time I got to hongkong and it really is hilarious watching them murder themselves/each other with rockets that explode as soon as they launch. The ADS really isnt exceptionally useful before or after hongkong but it totally nullifies the most annoying dudes you find there and whoever else happens to be running past them at the time.

e: unless you hack it so all their crossbows fire LAW rockets :downs:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 12, 2010

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Fnoigy posted:

On Unrealistic mode, do enemies actually HOLD different weapons, or do they just fire their weapons as if they were something random? I went through Liberty Island and there was just one guy that shot plasma rifle shots, but didn't have any plasma rifle, and everybody use just shoots exploding pistols or regular tranquilizer darts. Is this how it's supposed to be?
I believe guys will use the 1-shot plasma pistols if they have them on Unrealistic but I wouldn't swear to it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Here's something I've been wondering about - in the MJ12 breakout mission, what happens if you escape from the facility without talking to/retrieving the datavault from Paul('s corpse)? Daedalus doesn't give you the passcode until you do it, but if you've played the game enough times, you have it memorized, so you can escape without finding Paul. Does anything interesting happen later in the game, or does the game just freak out because you did something it wasn't expecting you to do?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ainsley McTree posted:

Here's something I've been wondering about - in the MJ12 breakout mission, what happens if you escape from the facility without talking to/retrieving the datavault from Paul('s corpse)? Daedalus doesn't give you the passcode until you do it, but if you've played the game enough times, you have it memorized, so you can escape without finding Paul. Does anything interesting happen later in the game, or does the game just freak out because you did something it wasn't expecting you to do?
I think I saw someone do that in a speedrun, and the game proceeded normally, as though you in fact had the datavault.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think that's one of the places where you can just break the plot and it continues as if you did things.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the patch may prevent the code from working before Daedalus gives it to you.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I remember something about Daedaelus insisting you see Paul first before hacking into UNATCO's systems and unlocking the exit for you. It's been too long.

isk fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 13, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

isk posted:

I remember something about Daedaelus insisting you see Paul first before hacking into UNATCO's systems and unlocking the exit for you. It's been too long.

The exit is locked with a keypad with infinite strength, he doesn't give you the code until you find Paul. But it's always the same, so you can just look it up or remember it. I tried it the other day and the door opened without Paul (I haven't patched the game though; I can't be bothered to do it and I like the game as it is), but I felt bad so I went back.

Maybe it did get superlocked in a patch; I know the door to the Luminous path compound in Hong Kong doesn't open until you reach a certain point (I know this because the code is 1997 which is very easy to remember so I've definitely tried to cheat my way through it), maybe they made the MJ12 door do the same thing.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
on the most current official patch you can break the plot at that point. Shifter or something might fix it, though.

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'
Playing through TNM, I'm on the gigantic "get in with the goat or llama cults, find goat city, fix servers, blah blah blah" quest, and even though I've been told where Goat city is, and I know where on the map it WANTS me to go (behind the abandoned buildings where they were keeping a llama member earlier...smart), I can't find the piece of wall to push. Anyone else have trouble here, or am I stupid?

I'm betting it's me.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

IanCaw posted:

Playing through TNM, I'm on the gigantic "get in with the goat or llama cults, find goat city, fix servers, blah blah blah" quest, and even though I've been told where Goat city is, and I know where on the map it WANTS me to go (behind the abandoned buildings where they were keeping a llama member earlier...smart), I can't find the piece of wall to push. Anyone else have trouble here, or am I stupid?

I'm betting it's me.

It's right in the corner of the walls. Don't look for a button, just scan over the wall until you can open it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
To any of you who have experience modding the game: I've been messing around with UnrealEd. I've learned how to import and change the music and import textures but how do I reskin jc denton? I haven't been able to find much help with google.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I had to refer to The Nameless Mod's walkthrough a few times, because it's often not clear what you should be doing: http://thenamelessmod.com/wiki/Walkthrough. Just search the document for your topic to avoid spoiling it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The Goat City level has some of my favourite music in TNM, especially the combat music.