Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Someone was asking about the SnB Red Heart: I just made a little shawl with my bamboo ewe and I enjoyed working with it and definitely like the end product. I'll see how it ages I guess, but for now I do recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What's everyone's favorite yarn from Knitpicks?

I'm ordering from them for the first time (yay!) but I'm a little below the free shipping limit. To meet it, I want to toss in an extra skein or two to sample, but I'm not sure what. So recommend me yarns that feel good or wear well or are just generally awesome!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm ordering from them for the first time (yay!) but I'm a little below the free shipping limit. To meet it, I want to toss in an extra skein or two to sample, but I'm not sure what. So recommend me yarns that feel good or wear well or are just generally awesome!

I suppose it won't help to say "ALL OF EM"?

I really like Pallette - comes in a gazillion colors and it's pleasantly fuzzy. Perfect for tiny colorwork like faire isle mittens or socks.

On the other end of the scale I made myself a cardigan from bulky Cadena and that turned out quite nice too.

Their lace yarns are lovely too and you can get enough to make a whole friggin shawl for like $16 too.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

The bulky weight Suri Dream is fun to work with, and on really big needles to make it lacy can make a pretty big blanket. Pallete is great, and Stroll is always great if you like socks.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Sex Hobbit posted:

Fiesta dishcloth! :woop:

See I told you it was a wonder yarn sent by angels :allears:

I actually found another use for it- because it's so brightly dyed, if you wrap it round a piece of cotton fabric and then soak the whole thing in water, the dye transfers from the yarn to the fabric. It's like reverse tie-dye. Going to experiment with this a little more...

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Anne Whateley posted:

Imagination Sock :) It is SOOOOO soft...

I've also got six balls of Rainbow Felici in my cart but I'll have to wait until I'm less broke to buy it.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I got some alpaca sock yarn and size 2 dpns today. I've never knitted on anything smaller than, like, a 7, so I'm both excited and completely intimidated. The yarn is so gorgeous though!

Holy loving poo poo, I just realized that this was $20 yarn, I wasn't paying attention when I picked it out. These had better be some fabulous socks.

OH MY GOD THESE NEEDLES ARE SO TINY. I'm going to break one, I just know it -- I knit like fast rough sex.

Look Under The Rock fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 9, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Anne Whateley posted:

What happened to this? :ohdear:

Haha what indeed.

See, I knit kittens and sell them for some spare cash. I foolishly decided to knit a whole lot of kittens at once so I wouldn't have to worry about the next few batches.

I managed to understuff every single one. :saddowns:

So I've spent the past four days sitting in my room re-stuffing every single kitten. I even managed to stab myself in the stomach!

Long story short I'll get the thread started after dinner.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Sex Hobbit posted:

Imagination Sock :) It is SOOOOO soft...

I've also got six balls of Rainbow Felici in my cart but I'll have to wait until I'm less broke to buy it.

I actually just got some of the Stroll Handpainted in Make Believe to make a shrug (when I finish the one I have started) that a coworker made the pattern for to show off handpaint sock yarn and I think I like it more than the Imagination Sock yarn, which is what she used.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/office-shrug-2

Also the Fiesta Washcloth : good for exactly what I said it was good for.

Nice work!

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I'm flying in Alaska/Horizon domestically in a few weeks. Knitting needles are OK to bring on board now, right? Googling brings up mostly experiences from right after 9/11, and I'd rather not dig up the airline phone number if I don't have to.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Meow Cadet posted:

I'm flying in Alaska/Horizon domestically in a few weeks. Knitting needles are OK to bring on board now, right? Googling brings up mostly experiences from right after 9/11, and I'd rather not dig up the airline phone number if I don't have to.

You need to call your airline, the rules can vary between airports too. Plastic vs. metal vs. bamboo vs. wood. Alternatively, put them in checked luggage.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
:siren:Holy poo poo it's YARN TRADING TIME:siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3314729

Don't just sit there! Get your poo poo together now!

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Why would you do this to me when I just threw out most of my yarn?

It was all moth-infested so it had to go, but it still hurts. :(

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Gently Used Coat posted:

Why would you do this to me when I just threw out most of my yarn?

It was all moth-infested so it had to go, but it still hurts. :(

Threw out yarn?

Oh God I'm so sorry :smith:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Look Under The Rock posted:

I'm going to break one, I just know it -- I knit like fast rough sex.

You won't, but what frustrates me about sock knitting is that you have to pay attention to the pattern or note what you've done so you can replicate it. Patterns are more like suggestions for me, I very frequently just wing it as I go along with some sections because I know how stitches will look. When I started socks recently I realized that I probably can't quite do that anymore, lest I end up with one sock slightly bigger than the other because I waited a couple rows to do something.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Ozma posted:

You won't, but what frustrates me about sock knitting is that you have to pay attention to the pattern or note what you've done so you can replicate it. Patterns are more like suggestions for me, I very frequently just wing it as I go along with some sections because I know how stitches will look. When I started socks recently I realized that I probably can't quite do that anymore, lest I end up with one sock slightly bigger than the other because I waited a couple rows to do something.

I do this too, which is one reason I started doing two at a time socks on two pairs of circs.

Of course, that has its own trials and tribulations.

That said, attempting to do the same thing with two mittens that had three colors of yarn each? Made two at once socks seem loving easy. (I had to separate the mittens like naughty children).

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

Oh dear, that yarn swap thread. I have so much acrylic my gramma offloaded onto me (I accepted it so happily back then). I've resigned myself to just slowly working the acrylic stash down myself. It is mostly black yarn, and it's not exactly designed for things that will be next to the skin. I like making things that I (or others) can get use out of more than decorative items or toys.

So far I've started a Sexy Vesty, and I've made one coffee cup sleeve in black acrylic. Any other ideas?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Firequirks posted:

Oh dear, that yarn swap thread. I have so much acrylic my gramma offloaded onto me (I accepted it so happily back then). I've resigned myself to just slowly working the acrylic stash down myself. It is mostly black yarn, and it's not exactly designed for things that will be next to the skin. I like making things that I (or others) can get use out of more than decorative items or toys.

So far I've started a Sexy Vesty, and I've made one coffee cup sleeve in black acrylic. Any other ideas?

The longest scarf ever.

Every single nerd on the planet has the one friend who will be willing to kill for a super-duper-long scarf. It won't matter if it's one color with a terrible feel. They will love it and wear it daily even during the summer.

Find out which one of your friends is that person and see if they're willing to give you money to make it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Argh where do you find double-pointed 00 needles in person in New York City? I didn't realize they were weird -- I thought any yarn shop with a decent selection of needles would carry them. But apparently I was wrong. No, I don't want you to special-order them, I want to cast on today :(

Also, I always use bamboo needles for everything, but I'm guessing at 1.75 mm I should opt for metal? I think the smallest DPNs I've worked with before were size 2, but I've never broken a needle by knitting with it (or by sitting on it). These sound really tiny, though. Gloves! Julia Mueller! Why do I love you so much?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

SOCK!!!!!

I'm so happy, turning the drat heel was easy as pie, and here I was psyching myself out and afraid to do it.

Unfortunately, I evidently blow at picking up stitches. I hope that's something that gets better with practice.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Look Under The Rock posted:

SOCK!!!!!

I'm so happy, turning the drat heel was easy as pie, and here I was psyching myself out and afraid to do it.

Unfortunately, I evidently blow at picking up stitches. I hope that's something that gets better with practice.

YAY SOCK!

I like picking up gusset stitches this way: http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/archives/2005/10/theres_the_easy.htm

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Anne Whateley posted:

Argh where do you find double-pointed 00 needles in person in New York City? I didn't realize they were weird -- I thought any yarn shop with a decent selection of needles would carry them. But apparently I was wrong. No, I don't want you to special-order them, I want to cast on today :(

Also, I always use bamboo needles for everything, but I'm guessing at 1.75 mm I should opt for metal? I think the smallest DPNs I've worked with before were size 2, but I've never broken a needle by knitting with it (or by sitting on it). These sound really tiny, though. Gloves! Julia Mueller! Why do I love you so much?

drat, there's a place I've been to that carries DPNs up to 0000. It's like four hours away from me right now, otherwise I'd grab some 00s for a fellow knitgoon. Even though it wouldn't help you cast on RIGHTTHEFUCKNOW and boy do I understand that feeling.

00s are crazy small, I don't think anyone even makes bamboo needles in that size. They'd peel apart like the crap on the edge of disposable chopsticks.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I have yet to even contemplate attempting something on smaller than 6s, and even that's a bit of a challenge for my manhands. Hence my afghan on size 16s and all the hats I do on 11/13 circs.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'll edit this out of it's not cool, but I'm selling some knitting and spinning supplies because a tooth of mine decided to loving EXPLODE and ruin what little savings I have.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

It's fine to mention your sale in here. If the CC mods get frumpy I'll take the heat. ;)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ozma posted:

It's fine to mention your sale in here. If the CC mods get frumpy I'll take the heat. ;)

Thanks. :shobon: I wouldn't have done it but it's kind of an emergency. I'll be posting more things there tomorrow.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
I have a pattern creation question. I'm attempting to make a cowl and I failed miserably using circular needles. Not only were they too big for the yarn I want to use, but the cord was way too long, and to be honest, having that loop of knitted stuff always flopping around was annoying :(. I decided to remake the cowl by knitting on straight needles, as if the pattern were just a big scarf, with the intention of sewing up the ends when I'm done.

I like this

(http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/elongchevron.htm)
elongated chevron for the pattern, but if I knit flat, when I'm done and sew the two ends together, the pattern will be horizontal instead of vertical. Does anyone know of a stitch pattern that is basically a horizontal elongated chevron (that when I'm done, will look like it's vertical)?

I know about this: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATThenry.html but it also uses circular needles. It also seems way above my skill level. :sigh:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
In theory, you could graph out that pattern and turn it on its side... Or chart out a similar pattern with graph paper. It might not have the same drape, but it should make up about the same pattern. It would probably take some experimentation, but maybe you could give that a try?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I would suggest doing it vertically but flat, so there will be a seam to sew up. You can use the circulars to knit back and forth and it's no different from knitting flat, it just makes it easier if you're knitting something very wide.

That's the strategy they use in that knitty pattern - it's knit sideways which means casting on one of the long edges (in other words, a million stitches) which would be basically impossible on any straight needles I've ever seen. But on circulars you have more leeway.

You don't have to cast on that many to do what you want though, because a cowl is shorter around than a scarf would be.

It may also make the circulars easier to use if you dip the cable in boiling water (not unlike a mouthguard). Though if they're too big you could consider buying a smaller pair with a slightly shorter cable (16 inches are pretty useful for things like sleeves and neckbands and hats if you change your mind about knitting in the round someday. :))

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

http://shanalogic.com/item.php?item_id=2122&category_id=126

Apparently you, too can sell acrylic scarves for $140 and sell out of them if you list them on Shanalogic. loving christ.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Apparently you, too can sell acrylic scarves for $140 and sell out of them if you list them on Shanalogic. loving christ.

My mind, it is boggled.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Silly Stinkybutt! Didn't you read the website? It's indie! It's also ironic and handmade! That's like a Hipster trifecta right there.

Now if you would excuse me I need to mark up my kittens to $50 and sell them to the hipster crowd.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Grab your's now

gently caress you, for that kind of money you should learn to use apostrophes right.

Also I would much rather learn to crochet and make one my drat self, it doesn't look hard at all really.

Bob Shadycharacter fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 16, 2010

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

<i>Grab your's now</i>

gently caress you, for that kind of money you should learn to use apostrophes right.

Also I would much rather learn to crochet and make one my drat self, it doesn't look hard at all really.

No it really doesn't. Also I checked out her Etsy shop and she had felted bows attached to French clips decorated with beads so they're like cupcake bows or something? They're cute and I'll just make one myself. :colbert:

But man I wish I could get away with pricing like that. THEN I'd sell things.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

<i>Grab your's now</i>

With that kind of money, you should just learn how to crochet or knit

Edit: It's also an ugly scarf.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Shnooks posted:

With that kind of money, you should just learn how to crochet or knit

Edit: It's also an ugly scarf.

I remember years ago one of the goddamn Olsen twins wore some scarf type thing - I think it was called an 'eternity scarf' or something, because it was a big loop not a rectangle shape. Anyway, someone found where to buy it and it was loving several hundred dollars (of course, all acrylic - hello? For several loving hundred dollars it'd better be loving cashmere).

Anyway, whoever it was posted a picture of it to the knitting community over on LJ and I spent weeks trying to figure out the stitch pattern. I was so obsessed with it for no real reason.

And then I finally figured it out and promptly never knit the thing.

I don't even remember why I started this story.

Why the hell are ridiculously expensive scarves always 100% acrylic? It's such a slap in the face.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I have to admit that I find the Toast scarf really cute, but not $140 worth of cute. That would be SO easy to make, and yeah, out of acrylic? I mean, yeah, why use some expensive luxury yarn for something so kitschy, but why $140? Are people actually buying them?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There are "designers" in New York selling circle scarves (or whatever), made out of Lion Brand Thick & Quick, for $225 each. They want to commission me to do the actual knitting for $40 each.

:lol:

Of course, they don't know that I know the price or the yarn -- that's how they get away with it.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

There are "designers" in New York selling circle scarves (or whatever), made out of Lion Brand Thick & Quick, for $225 each. They want to commission me to do the actual knitting for $40 each.

:lol:

Of course, they don't know that I know the price or the yarn -- that's how they get away with it.

Jesus Christ it's barely better than a sweatshop.

Wait I don't know - how long does it take to knit a circle scarf out of thick and quick?

Either way, you couldn't pay me to knit with the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

That's like $170 markup. :psyduck: Just make them yourself and undercut them at $200.

Time to make some kitschy poo poo in acrylic and try to consign it in a indie-type shop in Chicago. Jeez.