Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

anticake posted:

This is from a bit back, but if you ever actually smoked you can tell when someone is doing an actor drag and not inhaling. If when they exhale it pretty much looks like a poof of smoke like it could have come off the end of the cigarette like that they only pulled smoke into their mouths and then exhaled. When you actually inhale a drag the smoke gets all aspirated and exhales as a fine mist.

I guess no one cares how fake that poo poo looks, but me.

I do too. Chili Palmer became way less cool after I noticed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

anticake posted:

I guess no one cares how fake that poo poo looks, but me.
The first time I saw Reservoir Dogs (1992) I wondered whether or not the fact that Harvey Keitel really obviously isn't actually smoking the cigarette he's holding when he's talking with Steve Buscemi was supposed to be a clue or something.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Again - it's not just non-smokers. Doing take after take and smoking half a pack of marlboro unfiltereds in an hour can't be a pleasant thing.

I've heard that the fake weed can be pretty rough after a while, too.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

NeuroticErotica posted:

Again - it's not just non-smokers. Doing take after take and smoking half a pack of marlboro unfiltereds in an hour can't be a pleasant thing.

I don't think I said there wasn't a reason, just that it looks fake as hell? There are clear and defined reasons why you would want to fake it, that does not however make it look less fake. This doesn't really bother me in any real way as I understand no one wants to smoke a carton a day for an entire filming schedule, I just notice every time that it looks fake as hell.

anticake fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 8, 2010

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Not sure if anyone's addressed this or not.

The real BJ Mcdonnell is one of my best friends, so I highly doubt that this has anything to do with him. What is the email address?

EDIT

I just talked to him and he thinks it's hilarious. Any way I can get you to forward those to me?

The Aphasian posted:

This is a shot in the dark, but has anyone heard of a BJ McDonnell? I'm not sure if it's the same guy who's the steadicam operator ( http://www.mcdonnellsteadicam.com/ ).

My work email is one of literally 100s (based on the CCd list) that is getting extremely bizarre, ranting messages from this guy claiming his father, George Lucas and others are using ideas and scripts culled from some kind of journal that was stolen.

The bizarre punctuation and impossible claims point to a mentally disturbed individual, but with such a wide net cast I'm surprised I can't find a mention of him anywhere.

I've gotten three emails so far, and I honestly hope the don't stop. The latest had the subject "REWRITTING MY BOOT SECTOR! CLONING MY HARD DRIVE! ALL THEY FOUND OUT! IS HOW MANY PEOPLE I SEND MY WORK TOO!" and a random page of script apparently about Quasimodo as an Irish Ultimate Fighter.

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 8, 2010

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

poonchasta posted:

Does Netflix care if I'm streaming a movie on my computer and someone else is streaming a movie at their house at the same time using my account?

I had a friend who did this with another friend and it worked. I am pretty sure they watched movies at the same time.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

The Lucas posted:

I had a friend who did this with another friend and it worked. I am pretty sure they watched movies at the same time.

Thanks for the reply. I want to let my girlfriend use my account at her house if possible because she likes to watch stupid poo poo like Desperate Housewives. I just want to make sure that Netflix won't poo poo on my account for doing this. I'm still only in my free trial at the moment.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
This is a question about movie studio spying, specifically in regards to CGI family films. We're all familiar with the phenomenon that studio A gets wind that studio B is doing a film about subject X, and they fast track production on another film with a similar premise to be released within 6 months of the first one, presumably to capitalize on its anticipated success and that the general public will have its interest aroused in the subject. Probably the most notorious instance of this is Armageddon and Deep Impact.

But beyond those two asteroid movies, this seems to be most common amongst the CG kids films of the last decade. We're even seeing it happen again this year with Despicable Me and Megamind, two movies about supervillains. I'll take a guess that this is because kids are more susceptible to getting caught up in a temporary craze like a talking insect movie, and also that they're less a discerning demographic and don't care if the movie capitalizing on the first one isn't as good because it was a little more rushed.

Now, I understand when this happens with your typical live action movie. Most studios pick their release dates well before they even start filming, about a year or two in advance. But CGI films take a good three to four years to make. Are they really spying THAT far in advance? How do they spy, anyway? Pay off an intern to steal a script treatment? Has Dreamworks bugged the Pixar writers room?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

In the case of Antz, Jeffrey Katzenberg knew about A Bug's Life before he was shitcanned from Disney. It was released first and still made only a fraction of Pixar's take. :haw:

Even if production is lengthy, word gets out quickly. It's nothing new, as even in the formative years of cinema, studios would compete with blatant ripoffs of each other (down to having the same titles) before copyright law was enforced.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Egbert Souse posted:

In the case of Antz, Jeffrey Katzenberg knew about A Bug's Life before he was shitcanned from Disney. It was released first and still made only a fraction of Pixar's take. :haw:

Even if production is lengthy, word gets out quickly. It's nothing new, as even in the formative years of cinema, studios would compete with blatant ripoffs of each other (down to having the same titles) before copyright law was enforced.

Which is a shame, because looking back I actually prefer "Woody Allen movie for kids (with bugs)" over "Seven Samurai with less interesting characters for kids (with bugs)".

Plus it gave us The Emperors New Groove!

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Elijya posted:

Are they really spying THAT far in advance? How do they spy, anyway? Pay off an intern to steal a script treatment? Has Dreamworks bugged the Pixar writers room?

"Spying" in Hollywood is pretty much a giant myth. There's not like people looking at secret documents or anything like that. The whole town is a goddamn gossip mill. It's ridiculous. A couple of times a week I hear "Ok, you can't tell anyone this, but..." or "This stays within these walls..." or something like that.

The other big "spying" resource is the trades. Especially now that they don't have independent critics and hardly any journalists anymore, they're mostly press releases and rumors.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

poonchasta posted:

Thanks for the reply. I want to let my girlfriend use my account at her house if possible because she likes to watch stupid poo poo like Desperate Housewives. I just want to make sure that Netflix won't poo poo on my account for doing this. I'm still only in my free trial at the moment.

It depends on your plan. 3 DVDs at a time = 3 movies streaming at once. I only get one DVD at a time so I can only stream one movie at once.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Elijya posted:

Are they really spying THAT far in advance? How do they spy, anyway? Pay off an intern to steal a script treatment? Has Dreamworks bugged the Pixar writers room?

I've always wondered if there was some sort of conspiracy between Gordy and Babe as they were both released within three months of each other. Furthermore, Gordy has a 3.5 on IMDB no doubt from some bizarre schadenfreude from Babe fans.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Toebone posted:

It depends on your plan. 3 DVDs at a time = 3 movies streaming at once. I only get one DVD at a time so I can only stream one movie at once.
I did not know this. Thanks for enlightening me.

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010
Im sure I could google it but Id rather get an answer here... How do you get into the CGI Industry. Do you just go to art school or :confused:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

sursumdeorsum posted:

Im sure I could google it but Id rather get an answer here... How do you get into the CGI Industry. Do you just go to art school or :confused:

YOu might get answers in the post-production megathread as well:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3114758

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In a lot of movies from the 70s and earlier, there are all sorts of scratches and hairs and other blemishes that show up on individual frames. There is a common donut shaped blemish that looks like somebody circled something a bunch of times on the frame. Anybody know what causes that type of blemish?

Here is an example:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_mark

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Thanks! I never would have guessed that they were intentional.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

near the very end of Alien, when Ripley looks like she's home free, what is the Alien doing? It looks like it's just lying down in some pipes chillaxing.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

mackd717 posted:

near the very end of Alien, when Ripley looks like she's home free, what is the Alien doing? It looks like it's just lying down in some pipes chillaxing.
From what we can deduce from the film, it's either just chillaxing, or it's actively trying to escape the ship that's going to blow up. Depends on how much intelligence you think it has.

But, outside of that, I'm pretty sure Ridley Scott said it's nearing the end of it's life and it's kind of just laying down to die. Buuuut I may be mistaken.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I suppose it may just be chillaxing, because the Aliens in .. Aliens were a few weeks old (?) at least and didn't snooze to death.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

mackd717 posted:

I suppose it may just be chillaxing, because the Aliens in .. Aliens were a few weeks old (?) at least and didn't snooze to death.
Yeah, that's the thing; since it's never made clear in the film, Cameron could just go a different way with it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

SkunkDuster posted:

Thanks! I never would have guessed that they were intentional.

Guess you haven't seen Fight Club.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

Akuma posted:

But, outside of that, I'm pretty sure Ridley Scott said it's nearing the end of it's life and it's kind of just laying down to die. Buuuut I may be mistaken.
Yes this is what Ridley Scott said in some audio commentary. It was basically dying.

He and H.R. Giger came up with a whole, somewhat bizarre back story to those creatures. They were bio-weapons created by some other alien race.

Another interesting tidbit from the commentary: the alien grows so rapidly during its short lifespan that its flesh bruises constantly. When it first bursts out of that dude's chest, it is white, but turns black as it grows due to said bruising. Weird, huh?

But yeah: none of this was written down or made official and so Cameron could go all over the place with it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I always thought the Alien was relaxing because it looked like it was yawning near the end.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Why is the movie Half Baked called that, and not just Baked? What is the rationale for the "Half"? It doesn't really work for the plot, and I've never heard 'half baked' as a drug term before.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Elijya posted:

Why is the movie Half Baked called that, and not just Baked? What is the rationale for the "Half"? It doesn't really work for the plot, and I've never heard 'half baked' as a drug term before.

1) Their plan is half-baked
2) It's just a play on words

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Elijya posted:

Half-Baked is actually a prequel to Three-Quarters Baked.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Elijya posted:

I have heard terms like that about being incapacitated, though as you say, not specifically half-baked.

There is a daddy drunk term 'half in the bag', which if I think about it makes no sense at all since it seems to have been used to referred to fully drunk people.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Elijya posted:

I think that's more a question for GWS. They even have a specific bread thread.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Elijya posted:

Half baked is a pretty common saying. It just means poorly done, or not thought out.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Half baked is a pretty common saying. It just means poorly done, or not thought out.

Mr. Braddock: Ben, this whole idea sounds pretty half-baked.
Benjamin: Oh, it's not. It's completely baked.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

kapalama posted:

I have heard terms like that about being incapacitated, though as you say, not specifically half-baked.

There is a daddy drunk term 'half in the bag', which if I think about it makes no sense at all since it seems to have been used to referred to fully drunk people.
"Half in the bag" means half dead, i.e. drinking yourself fully into a stupor.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Now, my own question: If the Pentagon only loans military assets to film productions they view as pro-military, how the gently caress did Green Zone get made?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I bet you they work just like the MPAA and watch a 5 minute trailer cut by the producers.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I bet you they work just like the MPAA and watch a 5 minute trailer cut by the producers.
I can't think of five minutes in Green Zone where they weren't busy deflating the WMD propaganda and basically saying our reasons for going to war in Iraq were bullshit (they were, but I still don't think that's the official party line).

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

bad movie knight posted:

Now, my own question: If the Pentagon only loans military assets to film productions they view as pro-military, how the gently caress did Green Zone get made?
They didn't use military equipment, that's how it got made. For example, the Black Hawk helicopters were actually digitally-replaced Hueys.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Crows Turn Off posted:

They didn't use military equipment, that's how it got made. For example, the Black Hawk helicopters were actually digitally-replaced Hueys.
Oh that's neat! Man, Green Zone is a great integration of practical CGI in that case...as well as a drat good war thriller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Crows Turn Off posted:

Ha! That explains it. And yeah, I guess it never even occured to me how anti-US-military-industrial-complex Green Zone is, even though the ending practically hangs drapes on it. I guess I just assumed Greengrass was cashing in goodwill from United 93.