Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Whelp, I was waiting for some kind of sale to pick up The Man Who Fell to Earth, guess I'll be getting it sooner then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm surprised Last Year at Marienbad wasn't in the list, considering it's the only StudioCanal title left.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

FitFortDanga posted:

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1487-out-of-print-announcement

Zoinks. I might have to pick up the Bunuels I don't have (Diary, Phantom, Milky) even though they're not among my favorites. Maybe the Becker and Melville too.

Well, I've got about half of those (all the Buñuel films plus Kind Hearts and Coronets and The Man Who Fell To Earth on BRD), but everything else isn't in my library. Looks like it's time to do some shopping.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Which of those Buñuels come as recommended? I love Exterminating Angel but haven't seen anything else by him (except Un Chien Andalou). This should be a great chance to buy/watch more of his.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

bmmello posted:

Which of those Buñuels come as recommended? I love Exterminating Angel but haven't seen anything else by him (except Un Chien Andalou). This should be a great chance to buy/watch more of his.

They're all good if you ask me, but "The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie" is a must have.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Macrame_God posted:

They're all good if you ask me, but "The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie" is a must have.

This and Obscure Object are my two favorite Bunuels. I think either one would do you well.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Sheldrake posted:

This and Obscure Object are my two favorite Bunuels. I think either one would do you well.

Thanks, I'll be getting those two and the Becker, which seems like something I will enjoy.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sheldrake posted:

Just what I was going to say.

Diary - Decent, but pales in comparison to Bunuel's best
Phantom - Kind of like a series of underdeveloped SNL sketches
Milky - Only if you're REALLY interested in Catholicism

I think I just talked myself out of buying those.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Also highly recommending Discreet Charm as a compliment to Exterminating Angel since they have opposite scenarios. The Phantom of Liberty I enjoyed but it's more stream-of-consiousness/skit like without an overarching narrative. The Milky Way will probably only interest you if you have a background or interest in Catholicism (what is it with atheist/Marxist Surrealists from Catholic countries?) I've put off That Obscure Object of Desire for a while now so I'll pick it up fo shizzle.

Is The Man Who Fell to Earth blu-ray worth a double dip? I don't want to part with the DVD since it comes with the book.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I bet Man Who Fell to Earth would look incredible in HD, but I don't think it's that good of a movie to warrant a double dip.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

The Amazon pages for Blu Rays of Seven Samurai and Videodrome were updated with pictures.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The Lucas posted:

The Amazon pages for Blu Rays of Seven Samurai and Videodrome were updated with pictures.

Wait a minute, we're getting Blus for both Seven Samurai and Videodrome? loving score!

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

LaptopGun posted:

I bet Man Who Fell to Earth would look incredible in HD, but I don't think it's that good of a movie to warrant a double dip.

That's exactly how I feel. Fortunately, I don't already own the DVD!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I picked up The Man Who Fell To Earth as my first blu ray Criterion and honestly it wasn't that special. The whole movie is pretty dull so that might have turned me off to it quite a bit. Maybe once it's out of print I can sell my copy for what I paid. The movie isn't that colorful or detailed to be worth it in HD.

Now a beautiful flick like Ran or The Leopard, that would be well worth watching in HD.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 13, 2010

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I actually thought the more surreal parts would have looked great in HD. And no, I was not talking about all the naked people.

No argument about Ran is HD though...

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I understand people's critiques of The Man Who Fell to Earth but I've got a thing for strange, incomprehensible, yet beautiful looking movies when I'm in the mood for them (See also: The Limits of Control, Daft Punk's Electroma). I did think that the regular DVD looked gorgeous as it is so I had considered the blu-ray but I doubt I will now. I've triple-dipped on The Third Man (sold the first edition) but out of the ones that I owned before the blu-ray I haven't made myself get Yojimbo or 8 1/2 and may or may not get Seven Samurai (if it's all on one disc, maybe). Won't be picking up Videodrome because I'm sure it won't have the same packaging.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Cacator posted:

Won't be picking up Videodrome because I'm sure it won't have the same packaging.
Send them $20 and the DVD and you'll get to use the original packaging for the Blu-Ray they send you back.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Honestly it's probably cheaper to just buy the blu-ray off amazon and stick it in the old case. 25 dollar replacement discs are pretty ridiculous.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

FitFortDanga posted:

While Criterion has yet to release a single Satyajit Ray film, Artificial Eye is on their third VOLUME of them, including Sadgati, one of the two Ray movies I haven't seen yet.

:sigh:

Maybe some will be released to coincide with the Darjeeling Blu-Ray?

Dare to dream.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

A sneak peek at the possible Chaplins we might be getting:

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

I guess Criterion are releasing the Jonathan Demme movie Something Wild.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/574934-something-wild-coming-criterion.html

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

I guess Criterion are releasing the Jonathan Demme movie Something Wild.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/574934-something-wild-coming-criterion.html

You don't read my posts :mad:

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

You don't read my posts :mad:

hehe sorry I missed it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

It's nice to see Kate Beaton getting work.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

That's a gorgeous poster. Hopefully it'll be for sale in the Janus store?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's nice to see Kate Beaton getting work.

I really wish she'd try her hand at something longform, I love her style.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
She has a section called "History drawings" in the categorical archive that has some really great stuff:

Her style is very solid and would absolutely hold up to being cover art, particularly on a multi-disc set like what will probably occur with the Chaplins.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Somebody at Criterion uploaded the art early for spine 535:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Thin Red Line shows up in the little Coming Soon square on the main page.

:f5:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Thin Red Line shows up in the little Coming Soon square on the main page.

:f5:

It's a silly thing to complain about, but I have to say the flood of info we've been getting about upcoming releases really takes the fun out of announcement day. I'm still thrilled that TTRL is coming, but it would have been so neat to have it be an out-of-the-blue surprise.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I watched The Devil and Daniel Webster tonight... incredible movie, but the transfer is interesting. There's a lot of scratches (heh) and jump cuts, but the photographic quality is otherworldly. This would be a great BluRay pick in the future.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

FitFortDanga posted:

It's a silly thing to complain about, but I have to say the flood of info we've been getting about upcoming releases really takes the fun out of announcement day. I'm still thrilled that TTRL is coming, but it would have been so neat to have it be an out-of-the-blue surprise.

Yeah, I was thinking about that the other day. I'm still excited because there's the vague possibility of Fanny and Alexander on Blu-Ray, so at least there's that semi-wildcard. The fifteenth is still like Christmas, but now it's like you've shaken all the boxes and torn the corner of the wrappers.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

I'm almost dreading when these come out, because then I'll have no money again ever.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

penismightier posted:

I'm almost dreading when these come out, because then I'll have no money again ever.

I loathe Beaton and am pretty indifferent towards Chaplin, so this saved me some cash.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

Sheldrake posted:

I loathe Beaton and am pretty indifferent towards Chaplin, so this saved me some cash.

What's it like to be dead inside?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#535 - MERRY CHRISTMAS MR. LAWRENCE (Blu-Ray/2-disc DVD, Sept 28)

•New, restored high-definition master (with DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition)
•The Oshima Gang, an original making-of featurette
•New video interviews with producer Jeremy Thomas, screenwriter Paul Mayersberg, actor Tom Conti, and actor-composer Ryuichi Sakamoto
•Hasten Slowly, an hour-long documentary about author and adventurer Laurens van der Post, whose autobiographical novel is the basis for the film
•Original theatrical trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film writer Chuck Stephens and a 1983 interview with director Nagisa Oshima by Japanese film writer Tadao Sato

#536 - THE THIN RED LINE (Blu-Ray/2-disc DVD, Sept 28)

(no box art posted yet)

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Terrence Malick and cinematographer John Toll (with DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition)
•New audio commentary featuring Toll, production designer Jack Fisk, and producer Grant Hill
•Outtakes from the film
•Video interviews with several of the film’s actors, including Kirk Acevedo, Jim Caviezel, Ben Chaplin, Tom Jane, Elias Koteas, Dash Mihok, and Sean Penn
•New video interview with casting director Dianne Crittenden, featuring original audition footage
•New interview with composer Hans Zimmer
•New video piece featuring interviews with editors Billy Weber, Leslie Jones, and Saar Klein
•An interview with writer James Jones’s daughter Kaylie Jones
•World War II newsreels featuring footage from Guadalcanal and the Solomon Islands
•Original theatrical trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Sterritt and a 1963 essay by James Jones on war films

Nothing else posted yet

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Breathless coming to Blu, September 14th.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The new Charade Blu art is great.

#57 - CHARADE (Blu-Ray, Sept 21)

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 15, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Still waiting for Hausu to pop up :f5: :f5: :f5:

Adbot