Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Z3n posted:

How did you do that? Sometimes you have to angle them at a funny angle to get them in. Also, you need to make sure it's completely retracted before you try and install it. Got any pictures?

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Link to huge images:
http://dahak.homelinux.org/img/bikes/DSCF7630.JPG
http://dahak.homelinux.org/img/bikes/DSCF7636.JPG
http://dahak.homelinux.org/img/bikes/DSCF7637.JPG

I tried to install the new one and didn't realize it was going in cockeyed until it had already mashed in the side of the hole, probably because Kawasaki makes their engines out of an aluminum alloy only slightly harder than warm butter.

I'm considering ordering one of these, but I really don't feel like paying $60-70 for an aluminum block with a threaded hole in it, a few bolts, and an o-ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Sweated a lot, even with my meshy jacket

Its far too humid here

I'm also starting to wish I had a more comfort oriented bike, I must be getting old :(

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

lancemantis posted:

Sweated a lot, even with my meshy jacket

Its far too humid here

I'm also starting to wish I had a more comfort oriented bike, I must be getting old :(

Yeah This Humidity sucks. Mesh jacket and all I was still very sweaty after all of 10 miles :(

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Got a new chain, sprockets and rear tire (Bt023).

..then cut the gently caress out of the knuckle on my left middle finger and got 4 stitches so now I can't ride without being in excruciating pain :smith:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Z3n posted:

They probably unintentionally back bled your brakes when they put the front wheel back on. It's easiest to install the rotor if you force the pistons back into the calipers, and doing so will force any air in the lines back up into the reservoir, making the brakes firmer.

Weird if that's the case, as my fluid was checked at service recently, I'd have thought they'd have bled the brakes then as part of the service. Maybe not though, I'll have to check the receipt.

So if what you're suggesting is correct, without a proper bleeding I can expect that air to work its way back into the lines sometime then, returning my brakes to their previous feeling?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sectoidman posted:

Link to huge images:
http://dahak.homelinux.org/img/bikes/DSCF7630.JPG
http://dahak.homelinux.org/img/bikes/DSCF7636.JPG
http://dahak.homelinux.org/img/bikes/DSCF7637.JPG

I tried to install the new one and didn't realize it was going in cockeyed until it had already mashed in the side of the hole, probably because Kawasaki makes their engines out of an aluminum alloy only slightly harder than warm butter.

I'm considering ordering one of these, but I really don't feel like paying $60-70 for an aluminum block with a threaded hole in it, a few bolts, and an o-ring.

I'd probably just go with the adjustable one. But the CCT hole is just a hole, so if you can file it out without filling the crankcase with metal, that's what I'd do. Don't take off any more material than needed, obviously.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Weird if that's the case, as my fluid was checked at service recently, I'd have thought they'd have bled the brakes then as part of the service. Maybe not though, I'll have to check the receipt.

So if what you're suggesting is correct, without a proper bleeding I can expect that air to work its way back into the lines sometime then, returning my brakes to their previous feeling?

Air won't work it's way into the lines, I'd bet that that there was a persistent bubble somewhere that was forced out when they reinstalled the front wheel.

Usually they'll just check the color and top off the reservoir as needed at a service.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My dad's in town for a few days, so he helped me change the belts, check the valves, sort out some half-rear end electrical work I did, and try to figure out what the gently caress is going on with the popping. Oh, and he also let the float bowl gasket on the kikker carb touch gas and swell up. :argh:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Z3n posted:

Air won't work it's way into the lines, I'd bet that that there was a persistent bubble somewhere that was forced out when they reinstalled the front wheel.

Usually they'll just check the color and top off the reservoir as needed at a service.

Cool, thanks. :)

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Yesterday, I was leaving my driveway, unfortunately I live on a hill with a slightly sloped driveway. As I slowly left the driveway, some subaru legacy comes barrelling down the hill as i'm leaving the driveway, I instinctively grabbed the brakes but the momentum of the hill + turned handlebars caused me to drop my F2 :(. Amazingly only broke the brake lever in half, was able to pick one up in the city for 25$ the same day and replaced it. Just a few scratches on the mirror and a sticker on the right side for the most part.

Nearly Tboned a person on a bicycle WHO RAN A RED LIGHT in San francisco, what the gently caress is wrong with these people? I literally stopped about 2 inches from this guy's right calf.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 13, 2010

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
oh, no one told you? Bikes are above the law.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I had to use my new break pads pretty hard on the way back from installing them when a loving cager cut me off. They work :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infraboy posted:

Nearly Tboned a person on a bicycle WHO RAN A RED LIGHT in San francisco, what the gently caress is wrong with these people? I literally stopped about 2 inches from this guy's right calf.
I hope you kicked him over.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I sweat all over it for about 20 minutes trying to diagnose why it won't start. Vacuum petcock? Vacuum fuel pump? I couldn't keep my glasses on my face from all the sweat after I figured out that the filter isn't clogged. God drat black bikes get hot in the sun.

Oh and thanks to the Italians for putting a hinge on the gas tank, and giving it a small kickstand so I can work with the tank "off".

______

edit:
Vertical cylinder not getting gas, spark and air look good. It'll start and idle on one cylinder, and a quick shot of starter fluid makes this baby ROAR. Of course a storm with 60mph winds and penny sized hail chased me back inside just 15 minutes short of getting the carbs out :(

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 13, 2010

fudsaf
Jan 29, 2010
Today I did my first bit of mechanic work ever, and I'm pretty proud of myself. It really wan't a tough job or anything, but still: progress! I found out after buying my Ninja 250 that the headlight bulb wasn't working. It was either 1) not wired properly, or 2) burnt out.

The weather was so nice today and I had no work to take care of, so I decided to try my hand at fixing the problem myself. This morning I went out and bought some work gloves and a Nighthawk superbright bulb (Sorry Z3n, I looked for a Sylvania Silverstar but I couldn't find one.) My driveway is on a slight slope so I did all my work using just the sidestand, but it wasn't too much of a hassle.

Taking off the lower fairing was really easy. The upper fairing turned out to be a huge bitch though. Why? I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how to detach the wires connecting the signal lights. I unscrewed one of the signal lights, thinking maybe I could detach the wires near the bulb, but that didn't work. All I found was the remains of an old spider nest, which gave me a series of the wigglies. Anyway, after a good 45 minutes of tinkering, sweat, and frustration, I found out all you had to do was just pull on the wires at this one place near the base of the handlebars. I felt like a huge dork.

Everything else was really easy. I got the light replaced, turned on the bike and tested the light before I put everything back together, and it worked like a charm. One problem though: I can't find one of the screw fasteners for the windshield :( It's only one of six, and I'm sure it will stay fastened just fine, but it makes me mad. I was really organized when I did everything, but I guess one of them must have fallen and rolled off somewhere. Hopefully I can find it tomorrow.

But, ultimately: success! Way to go, fudsaf! :)

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Did a valve check on the KLR, one EX and one In are tight, the cams are coming off tomorrow.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Retarded Pimp posted:

Did a valve check on the KLR, one EX and one In are tight, the cams are coming off tomorrow.
You might already know this, but how you worded it sounds odd. Anyways You don't have to pull the cams out, just take the timing chain tensioner out and then take the cam holders out. Then lift the cams just enough to take the shims out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rode into work on the DRZ. Some guy in a car hollered to me asking what it was. I told him and he said he rode a Monster. He said it looked "kinda like a Hypermotard, huh?" I just said "kinda" and cried on the inside. Thanks Ducati.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

loving dropped it on its side while doing some low (very) speed manouvering practice for my upcoming P plate test like a loving moron. Snapped the front brake lever and got some small scuffs on the engine cover and exhaust.

Really pissed off at myself.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
Replaced the turn signals.

The bike clearly hit the ground a number of times over the 40k miles and 25 years that passed before it came to me (hard enough to break cooling fins off the motor once). The turn signal stalks were completely destroyed. One of the POs "fixed" them using a black epoxy, which he sloppily slathered all over the suspension as well. Awesome. Another fix (multiple fixes for the same problem...) involved Gratuitous Use of Zip Ties and Screw Clamps. Seriously, like 4 of each.

I looked up stock stalks and found (to my dismay) that they were at least $30 a piece. Instead I snagged new LED signals from Cycle Gear, removed the old ones, spliced in the new ones, and glued them to the back of the mirrors. It's an ugly, ugly fix, but far more functional than the existing arrangement. The left turn signal was basically falling off, held on only by my jerry-rigged Double Zip Tie Hammock By The Side Of The Road technique.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Had to rebuild my carbs and used a K&L kit I got off ebay. The o-rings on the float valve were hard as a rock and allowed fuel to just move on past, and then come out the overflow when the bike was running. Now it doesn't do that.

Now I have to get my new fork seals installed and I am good to go. Probably going to order some springs for it too.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

SuperSlant6 posted:

You might already know this, but how you worded it sounds odd. Anyways You don't have to pull the cams out, just take the timing chain tensioner out and then take the cam holders out. Then lift the cams just enough to take the shims out.

That's what I ended up doing, you don't even have to take the CCT out, just the 12mm bolt & spring. Maint on KLR's is so simple it's almost like working on lawnmowers.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Got my tengai through our 2 yearly inspection we have to do here in germany without any issues. Not bad for a 39000 miles old thumper.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Replaced all the turn signals on my '04 Stella with shiny new ones. I'm poor and don't have money to do cool poo poo for it. :(

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Last night I finally got off my rear end and changed my tire, sprockets and chain. I wired new turn signals on the back, and plan to do the matching front tonight. Riding for the first time in almost a month of downtime felt pretty good. :unsmith:

Also the front sprocket I used is a tooth smaller. The difference is there, but its not as mindblowing as I expected it to be. Still good though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Retarded Pimp posted:

That's what I ended up doing, you don't even have to take the CCT out, just the 12mm bolt & spring. Maint on KLR's is so simple it's almost like working on lawnmowers.

They sure sound like lawnmowers.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Washed it, waxed it, cleaned and lubed the chain. 1262 miles on the roadtrip and the chain slack is still fine.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
FINALLY got the rear wheel back on the SR250 (with a shiny new Kenda Challenger 675 on it. I kept pinchflatting tubes, so I ponied up the money to have the dealership re-tube the drat thing on Saturday.) and rode it from the old place to the new place. Now I can do proper pictures at some point.

While I was at the old place, the ex-gf and I tore down the spare carb that came with the KLR. Holy poo poo, carbs are far, far, FAR more simple than the pictures in the Carb Cleaning Thread would suggest.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Scratched the paint on my rims. drat, I should have clearcoated them. Also, I should have painted them better. Oh well, I'll do it right on the next set, I figure that the first time doing a job is always a bit of an experiment/learning process.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
Installed a flush mount 12V lighter plug to charge my netbook:

And built a holder for my MSR fuel bottle:

I leave for Alaska in just 9 days!

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Pulled the carbs from my new-to-me Monster

Yes, my tank has a hinge and a kickstand, I love the Italians :D

All the fun bits:

All the GUNK!!!!

Unfortunately, I didn't clean something thoroughly enough, and it runs fine at partial throttle, but is so lean it falls on it's face if you open the throttle more than 1/4 way. Welp, time to pull them again!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My SV's tank had a hinge and a kickstand. I really wish my VFR did.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Installed the manual cam chain tensioner from Orient Express racing; it fit just fine and seems to be working great. Also changed the oil and put one of the stickers that the company sent with the tensioner on the bike.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Endless Mike posted:

My SV's tank had a hinge and a kickstand. I really wish my VFR did.

Same as my GSXR. Except my stand has gone walkabout, so I just use a hammer propped up against the bar risers.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Nighthawk: Sold it. :toot: The sale was contingent upon me delivering it, so I had a nice ride up ~40 miles of back roads. The tach needle may or may not have seen the redline on occasion. :ninja:

Intruder: Washed it. For the first time. In direct sunlight. I'm a bad cruiser owner.
Also took off the blingin' horn:

Stripped off the chrome shell, bent up a bracket out of a scrap of stainless, and remounted it all stealth-like inboard of the shifter, next to the battery box.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 17, 2010

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I installed my new headlight and turn signal bulbs on my C70, everything seems to be working, at least intermittently. I also took off the speedo cable, and the square end broke off in my hand. Mystery solved...at least I'm not trying to track down what appears to be one of the rarest variations on the Super Cub speedometer.

Waiting on a battery to see if that fixes the rest of my problems, and a new speedo cable. Then time to get gear, insurance, and a plate.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Drove it to get some cat food.
Did some MSF style slow speed exercises in front of the house.
Dropped it in front of my GF and her daughter. :dance:
Broke the ball off the end of the clutch lever.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
The KLR or your other bike?

The KLR is kind of a punk to pick up, what with its high center of gravity.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

sklnd posted:

The KLR or your other bike?

The KLR is kind of a punk to pick up, what with its high center of gravity.
The KLR. Picking it up was pretty easy, at least in comparison to the R1100RS... Put a hand on the luggage rack, and one on the handlebars, and up she came.

More (hillarious) details and pics in the You're still a dummy thread. It's really pretty amusing how it came to be laying on it's side.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Replaced my F2's rear shock with a Fox Twin-Clicker shock. Took me a good four hours after work because of little things that slowed me down. And I think I set the ride rear ride height too high, meaning I have to go back and remove the rear shock again to get at the adjustment. Argh.

Oh, and the remote reservoir didn't reach nearly as long as the stock shock, so I mounted it on the opposite side of the bike against the subframe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Put my bike on the stands for after-trip maintenance. Using the front stand was a lesson in faith. I need new skins, are my stands appropriate for removing the wheels?