Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm a instant gratification consumer and I don't care. No Pics, no Purchase. :colbert:

(Actually I do understand and sympathize with some of the circumstances, but that still doesn't mean I'm going to buy it.)

You are going to find your historical purchasing severely limited unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's a risk sometimes, especially if you're new, but it's not a very expensive risk.

I mean, I ordered some 10mm colonial militia from Old Glory. No pics. I didn't realize they were 5-in-a-row-on-one-piece, which doesn't really work for me.

But it didn't cost THAT much and I've figured out a way to use them anyhow.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

That's veery true it's not like taking a risk on a GW mini that costs a tenner. Also many companies will send you samples for the cost of postage. It always worth an email or ring them to ask. You won't be speaking to some customer services goblin but usually the owner/sculptor. Also check TMP or Yahoo groups. The yahoo 15mm modern group I use has pics of most of the manufacturers ranges.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

Its a hard one to judge, the real value of painted minis. People will pay what they think they are worth I guess, as you have witnessed on eBay.

A lot of people hate painting too. The CWC rulebook writer mentions this at the back, that he does but feels it's a necessary evil.

If you can't stand painting (or simply don't have the skills whether due to lack of effort/practice/genuine problems stopping you) then why not pay more?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Serotonin posted:

But to add a devils advocate view (which Ive picked up from reading responses from mini makers on TMP) just coz this is SA and we like arguing.

I get what you are saying, but really:

Find a teenage nephew, neighbour, a friend's kid or something. Give them fifty quid and a weekend to take the photos and upload them. Watch your sales figure rise as people who don't attend shows in the UK or have seen other players field your armies can actually see the quality of your stuff.

It's not so hard. And honestly, very few of the companies we are talking about have nearly the inventory of Pendraken.

My personal method of circumvening the ineptitude of historical companies is to just google the stuff, and usually some person will have pictures of painted miniatures on a blog or a forum or something. Madaxeman.com is great for this for 15mm. I'm just saying that I should not have to do that extra effort for a purchase. You don't see any other business where artistic merit is such a vital part go "oh, you want to see pictures of what we sell? Why don't you just order a pair of t-shirts/paintings/furniture from us and see for yourself if they are any good! Trust us!"

But yeah, as for painting, I've never seen "The Hobby(TM)" being as important among historical gamers. That is more of a GW thing, but a GW thing I like. Everyone can learn to paint decently, even if you have old eyes, if you just apply yourself to it. Too many historical players just won't give it a fair shot. So they'll just buy painted armies or order paint jobs from India.

EDIT; first time I see Gu Zhan for sale outside China. 1/48th scale multipart plastic Three Kingdom generals. I have heard very little about them but the poses are pretty drat impressive for 4 euro each. The infantry looks pretty unimpressive though.

http://www.decorsminiatures.fr/category.php?id_category=59

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 7, 2010

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

My first dragoons fully painted and assembled. Reasonably pelased with these for many reasons.
First 28mm Napoleonics Ive painted, first horses Ive painted in about 10 years (and I could never do a good job on them in the past), and the two riders took about 3 hours in total to do which is fast as gently caress for me- its a fairly rushed paint job but perfectly acceptable for a tabletop standard in my opinion.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Those look great!

If the weather holds up, I may prime some of my 10mm AWI dudes and give it a shot, although I really should be painting my FoW Sovs.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

My first dragoons fully painted and assembled. Reasonably pelased with these for many reasons.
First 28mm Napoleonics Ive painted, first horses Ive painted in about 10 years (and I could never do a good job on them in the past), and the two riders took about 3 hours in total to do which is fast as gently caress for me- its a fairly rushed paint job but perfectly acceptable for a tabletop standard in my opinion.

Very nice! And those horses are really nothing to be ashamed of. What system are you planning to use?

I primed some 200 ashigaru today, and tomorrow I'm free from work. I'll see how far I can get in just one day of painting, should be fun.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

What system are you planning to use?

Dual use- Black Powder and Sharp Practice.

Ive got another box of those buggers to do yet, and a box of Hussars, then 3 boxes of line infantry and 2 cannons.

Im going to be busy for a while.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Trafalgar question!

The book lists 2nd rates as 'up to 98 guns'. Is there any reason I couldn't run a 98-gun ship as a 1st rate? Rounding it makes it 100 anyway.

It's not a big deal, but I ordered a 98-gun ship thinking it would work as a first rate before I re-read that section. I'm sure I'll be ordering a first rate anyway (probably the Victory), and these are just intro/learning games.

It just seems like an odd classification.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Got home today to find a package full of tiny soldiers. :dance:

More specifically, a Welsh army and an Ottoman army for DBA, plus a few extra odds and ends. Oh well, I wasn't planning to go outside this summer anyway.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

Trafalgar question!

The book lists 2nd rates as 'up to 98 guns'. Is there any reason I couldn't run a 98-gun ship as a 1st rate? Rounding it makes it 100 anyway.

It's not a big deal, but I ordered a 98-gun ship thinking it would work as a first rate before I re-read that section. I'm sure I'll be ordering a first rate anyway (probably the Victory), and these are just intro/learning games.

It just seems like an odd classification.

Honestly, I can barely see the difference of a 3rd rate and a 1st rate if I don't look really close. I was careful to paint all my ships differently and put various signal flags on them to have a chance to keep them apart while playing. Just run it as whatever you like.

R.S Gumby: cool, what scale/manufacturer?

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

lilljonas posted:

R.S Gumby: cool, what scale/manufacturer?

Essex, 15mm.

I think I'm gonna have a go at building a tiny Hagia Sophia as a camp for the Ottomans. The welsh will probably have to settle for the generic medieval castle I already have.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

R.S. Gumby posted:

Essex, 15mm.

I think I'm gonna have a go at building a tiny Hagia Sophia as a camp for the Ottomans. The welsh will probably have to settle for the generic medieval castle I already have.

The Welsh should have a knock-off Hagia Sophia. Built out of peat.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

The Welsh should have a knock-off Hagia Sophia. Built out of peat.
Surrounded by 15mil sheep.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The fleets arrive today!

I'll try and take some pictures, but I'm leaving this evening to go camping (my other nerd hobby). I wish I could bring them with me, but I don't think they had resin in the late 18th century, or superglue.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you're really into alternate dinosaur WWII, you should probably check this out.

I hadn't realize this was becoming an established genre.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Picked up the FoW Art of War 2 today, and for some reason want to paint up my grenadiers with all sorts of tiny insignia. I wonder if PV stocks 10/0 brushes :suicide:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

If you're really into alternate dinosaur WWII, you should probably check this out.

I hadn't realize this was becoming an established genre.

alternative WW2 is huge right now, especially ww2 with mecha and/or zombies like Gear Krieg and the recently anounced Dust Tactics, Tännhauser, and many others. Adding dinosaurs is the next logical step.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 12, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I wonder how hard it would be to implement "walking" into the vehicle movement of FoW... Hmmm...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's just infantry but with armour. Not *too* hard to weld together really.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Empress Miniatures have released a pretty cool 28mm modern combat range including SAS guys who look like Captain Price and Gaz from CoD:Modern Warfare, an EOD team so you can play Hurt Locker and some really nice Taliban models.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 12, 2010

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Empress Miniatures have released a pretty cool 28mm modern combat range including SAS guys who look like Captain Price and Gaz from CoD:Modern Warfare, an EOD team so you can play Hurt Locker and some really nice Taliban models.

This isnt good.

Im wanting to do Ambush Alley in 28mm now.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

These ships are tiny!

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Lord Commissar posted:

These ships are tiny!

If you think those are tiny, my store is the distributor for the 1:2400 ships shown in the Trafalgar rulebook :v: Now those are tiny.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Devlan Mud posted:

If you think those are tiny, my store is the distributor for the 1:2400 ships shown in the Trafalgar rulebook :v: Now those are tiny.

One might even say half-tiny!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I got the opposite surprise as my 1:144 WWI planes arrived now. The German bomber is HUGE!

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Is that the Gotha?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I've seen a few different guides around the net for these ships, and they all have different ideas.

Should I do the rigging as I do the masts? Or put the masts on and then start rigging?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

I've seen a few different guides around the net for these ships, and they all have different ideas.

Should I do the rigging as I do the masts? Or put the masts on and then start rigging?

I think most seem to say rigging after masts are on. But IM no epxert.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

I put on the masts first, and then do the rigging. Keep in mind that you don't want to put the masts exactly straight up. Once you do the rigging, the tension will bend them slightly back from the direction you do the rigging from. You can see an example of this in the Trafalgar book, where thet mizzenmast is bent slightly backwards.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

If anybody wants entire fleets of 1/2400 scale ships, here's a good deal:
http://www.scalecreep.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1876_1980

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

A tutorial on painting your 54mm miniatures (to look like poo poo)
http://www.allthekingsmentoysoldiers.com/Painting54s.html

Guildenstern
Feb 22, 2005

by T. Finn
Lord Commissar, you mentioned you were doing 10mm Black Powder. I'm considering starting the same (Napoleonics, naturally) but I'm having a hard time figuring out a good basing scheme that will neither look too sparse or bleed me dry. What are you using?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Guildenstern posted:

Lord Commissar, you mentioned you were doing 10mm Black Powder. I'm considering starting the same (Napoleonics, naturally) but I'm having a hard time figuring out a good basing scheme that will neither look too sparse or bleed me dry. What are you using?

I bought custom econobases from GF9 at 16x16mm. I put four dudes to a base, and it works out to be the roughly the equivalent of 28mm, except using cm wherever the book says in.

However, I think if I did it again, I'd like go 16x32 or 16x24 and put 8 or 6 guys on a base, because at this scale, having all those little bases can make movement unruly.

Guildenstern
Feb 22, 2005

by T. Finn
Someone please stop me from buying a hundred GHQ models I'll never paint before it's too late :(

Guildenstern fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 17, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I want to prime these ships, but I need a good way to keep the parts identifiable afterwards. Otherwise, I'm going to mix up which are which.

Guildenstern posted:

Someone please stop me from buying a hundred GHQ models I'll never paint before it's too late :(

No.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Guildenstern posted:

I've got a ton that are unpainted, and I'm not even sure if any of my friends want to play it with me so no, I'm not going to help stop you.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

Word of warning: a friend at the club did what you did, and painted the bases first and then attached the ships. turns out that there's a risk for the ship to slightly soar above the waves, as the flat ship doesn't make a perfect connection to the wavy bases. So be careful about that.

In other news I'm making the biggest DBA camp ever right now. I'll take pictures when my girlfriend goes to work so she won't make fun of my nerdy hobby. :ssh:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 18, 2010