Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Universe Master posted:

Have any of you watched the GoF riff yet?

There's a "loving Magnets; How do they work" reference.

Even knowing that it was coming due to this post, I still laughed when it happened. Just the nonchalant way Bill tosses it out is what makes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
They currently have a poll going to see what fans would like them to riff at this summer's live event: http://polldaddy.com/poll/3266003/

Our choices are: 1962's Jack the Giant Killer or the cult classic, Reefer Madness.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
On a whim I grabbed the Stooges collections, and, well the first one was ok, even if it was a little Shemp-heavy. The second one, not so great seeing as all the footage was cobbled from intros to the old Stooges cartoon.

So, the first one: Worth it.
The Second one: Take a pass.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Elucidation posted:

They currently have a poll going to see what fans would like them to riff at this summer's live event: http://polldaddy.com/poll/3266003/

Our choices are: 1962's Jack the Giant Killer or the cult classic, Reefer Madness.
Why would people want to see Reefer Madness riffed again? They've already done it twice...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Plavski posted:

Why would people want to see Reefer Madness riffed again? They've already done it twice...

Exactly. I voted for Jack.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I voted for Jack and since I was there, I got the new two short DVDs.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gaseous Snake posted:

I voted for Jack and since I was there, I got the new two short DVDs.

I got their email about the new shorts DVDs, and I was considering buying them. Then I saw there were like 6 shorts DVDs. Is there overlap on these DVDs? Or can I buy them all and have 6 disks with all different shorts on each?

Or do I dare dream for a "Complete Shorts Vol #" collection some point in the future? :ohdear:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Plavski posted:

Three times. The colorized non-Rifftrax DVD had a Mike commentary, then there was the (slightly different) Rifftrax Brand Mike-only DVD/Download, then there was the three-riffer Rifftrax version.

This would make the fourth time Mike has written a commentary for Reefer Madness if it were to win.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
Reefer madness isn't even half as terrible and bizarre as Maniac or Narcotic in any case.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Having seen Jack the Giant Killer on AMC once, I absolutely have to see it riffed. I loved that stupid movie and I its a fair bit more engaging than Reefer Madness. And it has color!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Barudak posted:

Having seen Jack the Giant Killer on AMC once, I absolutely have to see it riffed. I loved that stupid movie and I its a fair bit more engaging than Reefer Madness. And it has color!

Right now Jack the Giant Killer has double the votes so far.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Barudak posted:

Well, they colourised Reefer Madness so that's something. I love the colourisation too, where they made the smoke all different colours :D

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Elucidation posted:

I saw "I Know Who Killed Me" on Lifetime while pulling an all-nighter last night and frankly I'm amazed it hasn't been riffed yet.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

raditts posted:

I saw "I Know Who Killed Me" on Lifetime while pulling an all-nighter last night and frankly I'm amazed it hasn't been riffed yet.
I've been meaning to watch that - what's your prognosis?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

fenix down posted:

I've been meaning to watch that - what's your prognosis?

Maybe it was because they cut some really important parts out of the TV edit or something, but there were just several WTF parts that seem to have absolutely no bearing on the movie, and the ending is probably the WTFest of all.

Also, lots and lots of blue filter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

Maybe it was because they cut some really important parts out of the TV edit or something, but there were just several WTF parts that seem to have absolutely no bearing on the movie, and the ending is probably the WTFest of all.

Also, lots and lots of blue filter.

Nah, every review I've read of it makes it seem kind of WTF altogether.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

raditts posted:

I would guess they're trying to riff movies that lots of people already have. People who aren't rifftrax nuts probably make their shopping decision based on what movies they already have, not on what riff looks the funniest.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I would guess they're trying to riff movies that lots of people already have. People who aren't rifftrax nuts probably make their shopping decision based on what movies they already have, not on what riff looks the funniest.

Rifftrax made me buy XXX, Transformers 2 and 3 Harry Potter movies. Something no adult of sound mind should ever do.

They can kiss my rear end if they think I'm watching Glitter or Crossroads, though. :colbert:

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I don't think a lot of people owned The Room or Troll 2.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

My method to buying DVDs is only if it's 9 dollars or less, so thanks to Rifftrax, I also own a few Harry Potters as well as The Happening.

No way in hell I'm going to own a copy of Twilight, though.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

CrumFUNist! posted:

But they're also massive cult hits with bad movie nerds. You know, their target demographic. Those are easy sellers for hardcore fans.

And I really want to see some numbers on how they sell individually. I assume the Star Trek, Star Wars and Harry Potter movies were huge sellers because they crank those things out.

Also, the Shorts come out pretty quickly. They must make a mint off of those if they put them out so fast.

Mercury Hat posted:

My method to buying DVDs is only if it's 9 dollars or less, so thanks to Rifftrax, I also own a few Harry Potters as well as The Happening.

No way in hell I'm going to own a copy of Twilight, though.

Netflix was used for the Twilight movies. I like to think that I seriously upset some Twitard because I scored New Moon on like the day after release and they had to wait for the copy I had out.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 3, 2010

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

From they way they've been releasing these things, it's clear that they go for their audience's maximum ease of obtaining or the maximum chance of owning a particular movie.

So the list goes

-New releases (because they are easy to buy or rent)

-Genre classics (because most people will already own it)

-Only then whatever obscure movie they think would be funniest.

And they have to anticipate lower sales for the last one.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Rifftrax made me buy XXX, Transformers 2 and 3 Harry Potter movies. Something no adult of sound mind should ever do.

They can kiss my rear end if they think I'm watching Glitter or Crossroads, though. :colbert:

You're a rifftrax nut.

"CrumFUNist! posted:

:rolleyes: I just said they probably try to do it.

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Also, the Shorts come out pretty quickly. They must make a mint off of those if they put them out so fast.

I would love for them to tackle more of the 70s/80s shorts like Shake Hands with Danger or Seatbelts or Drugs Are Like That. Drugs Are Like That has to be the funniest short they've done.

"Original music by Charles Manson."

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Perfect timing for a PYF Short derail:

Shake Hands with Danger
Drugs are Like That
Seatbelts: The Lifesaving Habit
Call It Free (parts 1 and 2)
Patriotism
Moose Baby

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Shake Hands with Danger
Drugs are Like That
Patriotism
Moose Baby

Down and Out. A short chronicling the world's clumsiest man.

"Aaaaaah I forgot how my body works and what gravity is for and where I am in space!"

What It Means to Be an American Part 1. The short that tells you the names of cities and narrates over home movies.

"Austin, Texas..." "...Is another place that exists."

EDIT: Petaluma Chicken.

"I see they're following David Lynch's omelet recipe."

CrumFUNist! fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 3, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tony Danza Claus posted:

You're missing out; I haven't seen Glitter yet, but Crossroads was a good riff.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Glitter was like experiencing old MST3K riffs again. That movie was so incredibly bad you just have to see it for yourself.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Universe Master posted:

From they way they've been releasing these things, it's clear that they go for their audience's maximum ease of obtaining or the maximum chance of owning a particular movie.

So the list goes

-New releases (because they are easy to buy or rent)

-Genre classics (because most people will already own it)

-Only then whatever obscure movie they think would be funniest.

And they have to anticipate lower sales for the last one.

I think Lindsay Lohan has made enough movies that "lovely Lindsay Lohan Movie" can legitimately be called a genre. :colbert:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Especially Parent Trap.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Especially Parent Trap.
gently caress you.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Shake Hands with Danger
Drugs are Like That
Patriotism
Moose Baby

Haven't seen many of the shorts, but One Got Fat is gold.

"Oh, it's a subliminal message from Sean Hannity!"
"I bet you never even MET Bullwinkle!"
"Music on loan from The Flintstones!"
"The Ren and Stimpy Suite, Opus 12."
"You know, Dr. Seuss rejected these names for being too silly."
"Use turn signals to indicate you are a FREAKISH HELLSPAWN MONKEY!"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Man up and rent them. Crossroads is a pretty good riff for a solo Mike effort. Thankfully, Hollywood Video went out of business and real proof that I rented it is gone forever.

I had to buy Troll 2 and Over the Top.

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Beginning Responsibility is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. It's definitely the best short they've done.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CrumFUNist! posted:

Beginning Responsibility is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. It's definitely the best short they've done.

Is the kid in that SUPPOSED to be retarded? Because he sure seemed that way.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
There's a new Rifftrax Presents available:

Armageddon by Matthew J. Elliot.

Some people don't care for his work. I am not among those. He does pretty good work.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Kevin and Bill absolutely killed it on Goblet of Fire. It was like Mike wasn't even on the track.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Got around to watching D-War. Holy crap that was bad. I think they blew all their money on CGI and forgot to pay the guy who makes the plot make sense.

Awesome riffs though - Bruce will be fine, Bruce is always fine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fenix down posted:

Got around to watching D-War. Holy crap that was bad. I think they blew all their money on CGI and forgot to pay the guy who makes the plot make sense.

I watched that movie and the rifftrax with two friends of mine and about a week later we got into a heated argument if they had actually been awake the whole time or if they had fallen asleep. Their position was, nothing made sense, all the editing was random, and they couldn't recall the plot. I argued that was the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

fenix down posted:

IIRC, it's the same guy. He shot the whole thing then spent several years doing the CGI as a side project.

• Locked thread