Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loretta Trampface
Sep 12, 2006

by T. Finninho
I knocked this out earlier today and to be honest I'm not quite sure where to go with it. I like the groove it has, but I'm not sure what direction I should take it. My natural instinct would be to break the track up in to different parts, but I'm afraid that might take away from what makes it interesting to me. Any thoughts on this or other matters? I'm very new to the game and any critique is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loretta Trampface
Sep 12, 2006

by T. Finninho

zeldadude posted:

Here's a drum and bass song I made today. Still have quite a bit of work to do. Critique is very welcome.

The biggest things I notice are the drums and the general sounds of some of the melodic instruments you're using. The drums sound like they need to be beefed up and fattened up, especially if you're aiming to go for the sort of sound alot of d&b artists use these days. The bass of your bassline overwhelms the power your drums could possibly have (actually the bassline sounds just a little too muddy in general). As for the melodic instrument comment, I feel like the sound you're using for the bass sounds too close to a cheesy "pluck bass" sample. I also think the keyboard-sounding instrument about 1/3 of the way through sounds either out of place or disappointing. An instrument with a more electronic sound might work better there. That's probably more of a personal taste thing on my part, though.

Loretta Trampface fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 4, 2010

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I made this song as a joke. It is silly. Hopefully, someone will get a kick out of it!

The Dissonant
Jul 24, 2008

Just another disposable hero.
I want to record the sound of some drums on my old-rear end keyboard. Thing is, I don't want to record the MIDI, I want to record actual drum sound. I could mic it, but I would rather record direct input. How would I go about doing that? Would I use the headphone input on the keyboard and plug that into my soundcard? Or use the MIDI in/outs?

(I've never connected my keyboard to my computer, so excuse me if this is a crap question)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

The Dissonant posted:

I want to record the sound of some drums on my old-rear end keyboard. Thing is, I don't want to record the MIDI, I want to record actual drum sound. I could mic it, but I would rather record direct input. How would I go about doing that? Would I use the headphone input on the keyboard and plug that into my soundcard? Or use the MIDI in/outs?

(I've never connected my keyboard to my computer, so excuse me if this is a crap question)

Do you have a line out jack on the keyboard? Ideally you would want to connect that to the soundcard. Otherwise you could connect the headphone out to the soundcard, just watch your levels when recording.

MIDI doesn't actually transfer any sound information, it is strictly control messages like "play a note" (like sheet music).

The Dissonant
Jul 24, 2008

h_double posted:

Do you have a line out jack on the keyboard? Ideally you would want to connect that to the soundcard. Otherwise you could connect the headphone out to the soundcard, just watch your levels when recording.

MIDI doesn't actually transfer any sound information, it is strictly control messages like "play a note" (like sheet music).
Yeah I know. Is there any difference in quality between using line out and headphone out? As far as I can see, there's no line out (except for a MIDI out but obviously I don't want to use that).

Oisin
Jul 22, 2009
I'm attempting to make noises in Fruity Loops 9 with z3ta. However, I'm new to this so I might use incorrect terminology for some things.

I have a pattern (Pattern 1) with a Kick and a Z3ta "beat".

I have another pattern (Pattern 2) with just a Z3ta "beat". I would like to assign this z3ta beat to a free mixer track and add a plugin effect (Gross Beat) to the Z3ta "beat". When I do this, however, the Pattern 1 Z3ta is also effected.

How do I assign only for pattern 2? Does this question make sense?

Loretta Trampface
Sep 12, 2006

by T. Finninho

The Dissonant posted:

Yeah I know. Is there any difference in quality between using line out and headphone out? As far as I can see, there's no line out (except for a MIDI out but obviously I don't want to use that).
If there isn't even a headphone jack then I wouldn't spend time thinking about that piece of poo poo any longer. If there really, truthfully is by some miracle a sample worth recording on that sort of keyboard (highly doubtful), you'll have to open the keyboard up, cut the wires to the keyboard speakers, and solder an audio jack to the speaker wires. Really though, why are you bothering with something so crappy? You can easily get much better sounds from absolute freeware VSTs.

Lowbo
Jan 16, 2010

Oisin posted:

How do I assign only for pattern 2? Does this question make sense?

Yes, it does. The easiest thing to do is just make another synth with the same settings. Have one synth play the kick and beat, and have the other play the beat and have the effect on it. Just alternate between the two different synths.

Your alternative I guess is to put the Gross Beat on a send and automate the send and mixer volumes, but that's unnecessary trouble.

The Dissonant
Jul 24, 2008

Loretta Trampface posted:

If there isn't even a headphone jack then I wouldn't spend time thinking about that piece of poo poo any longer. If there really, truthfully is by some miracle a sample worth recording on that sort of keyboard (highly doubtful), you'll have to open the keyboard up, cut the wires to the keyboard speakers, and solder an audio jack to the speaker wires. Really though, why are you bothering with something so crappy? You can easily get much better sounds from absolute freeware VSTs.
It has a headphone jack, thankfully. :) I need it because I've found it hard to find good electronic drum VSTs (for drum n' bass and dance music). Then again I'm an amateur when it comes to the electronic genres so I don't really know where to look. What VSTs do you recommend?

The Dissonant fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 6, 2010

Faceguy
Feb 7, 2009

I am very phallic
College Slice

The Dissonant posted:

It has a headphone jack, thankfully. :) I need it because I've found it hard to find good electronic drum VSTs (for drum n' bass and dance music). Then again I'm an amateur when it comes to the electronic genres so I don't really know where to look. What VSTs do you recommend?

I would also like to know what kind of VSTs I should look at for drums for electronic/dance music.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

The Dissonant posted:

You should probably look into drum samples, not VSTs. Except EZDrummer etc, but those are more "normal" drums for rock music and stuff.
If you like drum machines, a good place to start is http://samples.kb6.de/ :)

The Dissonant
Jul 24, 2008

Computer Jones posted:

You should probably look into drum samples, not VSTs. Except EZDrummer etc, but those are more "normal" drums for rock music and stuff.
Thanks that site has a great selection! I'm not familiar with samples though (having only used VSTs before)... how can I get my MIDI files to map to these WAV samples?

If you could point me in the direction of a tutorial so I don't poo poo up this thread too much that would be great. :)

Loretta Trampface
Sep 12, 2006

by T. Finninho

The Dissonant posted:

Thanks that site has a great selection! I'm not familiar with samples though (having only used VSTs before)... how can I get my MIDI files to map to these WAV samples?

If you could point me in the direction of a tutorial so I don't poo poo up this thread too much that would be great. :)
You'll need a program that can import MIDI clips and play instruments based from that data. Any fairly respectable editing software like Ableton Live or Reason can do it easily. If you don't have access to any of those, then you'll have to search for a decent arrangement program that has this capability. Most arrangement programs will probably at the very least have some sort of sampling capability, and should also have the ability to import midi clips either for direct use or for conversion and further editing. The idea is essentially that midi or some sort of event tracks in the arrangement program will either trigger the notes of a sampler plugin (each note corresponding to a different sample in the sampler itself) or trigger samples themselves, depending on the program and the plugin used.

Loretta Trampface fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 6, 2010

Faceguy
Feb 7, 2009

I am very phallic
College Slice

Computer Jones posted:

This is a cool site, but what I liked about EZDrummer is that each hit of a drum would be at a random velocity so it made it sound less robotic. Is there any way to get that in Ableton normally?

EDIT: I just realized how dumb of a question that is considering EZDrummer comes with thousands of drum samples. I guess what I mean is there anywhere to emulate it in Ableton using just one sample.

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch

Faceguy posted:

This is a cool site, but what I liked about EZDrummer is that each hit of a drum would be at a random velocity so it made it sound less robotic. Is there any way to get that in Ableton normally?

EDIT: I just realized how dumb of a question that is considering EZDrummer comes with thousands of drum samples. I guess what I mean is there anywhere to emulate it in Ableton using just one sample.

Use ableton's build in Random plugin and assign it to the key velocity knob in Simpler og Sampler. There are videos on Youtube on how to do this I believe

Loretta Trampface
Sep 12, 2006

by T. Finninho

Faceguy posted:

I don't have Live installed right now to see if this is possible in it, but you might be able to assign an LFO to change the pitch of the sample each time it's triggered.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
I whipped this up yesterday and today after listening to some Boombox. The vocals are just placeholder to figure out how it would sound, but I think the rest feels pretty polished. Thoughts?

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/mmum

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Loretta Trampface posted:

The biggest things I notice are the drums and the general sounds of some of the melodic instruments you're using. The drums sound like they need to be beefed up and fattened up, especially if you're aiming to go for the sort of sound alot of d&b artists use these days. The bass of your bassline overwhelms the power your drums could possibly have (actually the bassline sounds just a little too muddy in general). As for the melodic instrument comment, I feel like the sound you're using for the bass sounds too close to a cheesy "pluck bass" sample. I also think the keyboard-sounding instrument about 1/3 of the way through sounds either out of place or disappointing. An instrument with a more electronic sound might work better there. That's probably more of a personal taste thing on my part, though.

Thanks, appreciate the critique and took them all into accord for my next venture....

edit: bass is lovely, so excuse that. Trying to get massive to work on my PC...
edit2: Changed a bit and made the bass not quite so lovely.

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 11, 2010

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Faceguy posted:

Yeah, you can assign velocity and randomness to volume, pitch, filter cutoff etc. Drum Rack is great :)

As someone else mentioned, you can use the velocity MIDI effect to randomise velocity- I use it quite a lot, at about 10% or so.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
4 tracks i made, intended to go together as a short album: http://soundcloud.com/dogworldmusic

theyre in reverse order and i dunno how to move them around, start at the bottom. would love to hear feedback and critique.

PirateMathew
Apr 22, 2007

The dog is fine in Portugal - that big threat is away - you don't have to worry about crime anymore.
I've been working on a tech/deephouse remix of Kathy Brown's Love is not a game. The original is some ADHD/funky/spastic house track, and I thought the vocals would do way better in an easier setting.

http://soundcloud.com/piratemathew/kathy-brown-love-is-not-a-game-mtt-deepmix-final

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Oiled and Ready posted:

I whipped this up yesterday and today after listening to some Boombox. The vocals are just placeholder to figure out how it would sound, but I think the rest feels pretty polished. Thoughts?

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/mmum

This has some weird mixing, like too quiet or something, I really have no experience in the technical side of this only what I'm hearing off my home theater.

But the bass and synth (I think) line started out nice and deep and then once the percussion popped in it faded really far back, to unpleasantly quiet.

Reminds me a lot of MGMT

zeldadude posted:

Thanks, appreciate the critique and took them all into accord for my next venture....

edit: bass is lovely, so excuse that. Trying to get massive to work on my PC...
edit2: Changed a bit and made the bass not quite so lovely.

I had to turn my sub to max to get even a little bump out of this. I like the tune though, although at about the 2 minute mark a new, on the beat synth kicks in, and again another synth line comes back. This is personal preference but I just don't like them in dance music. The driving forces in DnB are the drum and bass, everything that takes away from that energy and boom can be really distracting and make a beat undanceable. The synth work reminds me too much of final fantasy 3 music for me to groove to.

Again, all this is personal taste

PirateMathew posted:

I've been working on a tech/deephouse remix of Kathy Brown's Love is not a game. The original is some ADHD/funky/spastic house track, and I thought the vocals would do way better in an easier setting.

http://soundcloud.com/piratemathew/kathy-brown-love-is-not-a-game-mtt-deepmix-final

The vocals come across as really wobbly, other than that the beat and stuff is the poo poo, especially after the first vocal sample. It's intense. The vocals feel real far back though, sorta like the vocals are coming out of one speaker in another room and I'm just sitting on the sub.

Terrible Horse posted:

4 tracks i made, intended to go together as a short album: http://soundcloud.com/dogworldmusic

theyre in reverse order and i dunno how to move them around, start at the bottom. would love to hear feedback and critique.

I've got interference on the track Dust, that electronic whine you sometimes barely hear out of like the corner of your ear. When I paused the track it went away so I think it's something in the mix and not just my ears going to poo poo. For the first 1:30 or so it's there after that I didn't notice.

These tracks don't do anything for me. It feels like it's supposed to be ambient type stuff but the bass is way too strong and energetic for this to be background tunes, imo. But even with that, it doesn't have enough energy to be dance or club music. It's like a dubstep album without wobble. It feels like music made to overdose on oxycontin too, if that's your idea of a good time.

Hope that helps :blush:

PirateMathew
Apr 22, 2007

The dog is fine in Portugal - that big threat is away - you don't have to worry about crime anymore.

Terrible Horse posted:

Are you using deadbeat's reaktor ensemble for the beat? The samples sound way familiar.

Longtiem posted:

The vocals come across as really wobbly, other than that the beat and stuff is the poo poo, especially after the first vocal sample. It's intense. The vocals feel real far back though, sorta like the vocals are coming out of one speaker in another room and I'm just sitting on the sub.

I can see what you mean with the wobbly part, I might have gone a tad bit overboard with the sidechain compression on the vocal track. And meh, real far back? Guess I need to fix my amplifier, because I had to mix it down with headphones and probably didn't notice the sound being far away, unless by "real far back" you meant something else.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Terrible Horse posted:

I like this.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

PirateMathew posted:

Are you using deadbeat's reaktor ensemble for the beat? The samples sound way familiar.

I can see what you mean with the wobbly part, I might have gone a tad bit overboard with the sidechain compression on the vocal track. And meh, real far back? Guess I need to fix my amplifier, because I had to mix it down with headphones and probably didn't notice the sound being far away, unless by "real far back" you meant something else.

Sounds like I'm far away from a weak speaker that is the only speaker playing vocals type deal. I listened to it on headphones and a beatup old JVC RX-6008v with redwhite inputs, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Can't hurt to replay it on a diff system though.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Longtiem posted:

I've got interference on the track Dust, that electronic whine you sometimes barely hear out of like the corner of your ear. When I paused the track it went away so I think it's something in the mix and not just my ears going to poo poo. For the first 1:30 or so it's there after that I didn't notice.

These tracks don't do anything for me. It feels like it's supposed to be ambient type stuff but the bass is way too strong and energetic for this to be background tunes, imo. But even with that, it doesn't have enough energy to be dance or club music. It's like a dubstep album without wobble. It feels like music made to overdose on oxycontin too, if that's your idea of a good time.

Hope that helps :blush:

youre not imagining that, Dust has tons of fizz and hiss. Sorry you didnt enjoy it. I listen to a lot of dubstep but cant stand the wobble stuff, and most of these are pretty straight 4x4 with dub/garage touches. Overdosing on OC does sound like a good time but that wasnt my intention for this music. Its not supposed to be ambient at all, but i wanted to get away from straight up 'track' type dance music, if you know what i mean. Thanks for listening anyway :)

PirateMathew posted:

Nah, dont know what that is. I use mostly Vengence minimal house for my drums, then found sounds (metal on concrete for hats, ropes, samples from tunes for vocals, etc_

Number Two Stunna posted:

I like this.

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 12, 2010

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Longtiem posted:

I had to turn my sub to max to get even a little bump out of this. I like the tune though, although at about the 2 minute mark a new, on the beat synth kicks in, and again another synth line comes back. This is personal preference but I just don't like them in dance music. The driving forces in DnB are the drum and bass, everything that takes away from that energy and boom can be really distracting and make a beat undanceable. The synth work reminds me too much of final fantasy 3 music for me to groove to.

Again, all this is personal taste

Ah yeah, I'm still trying to wrestle a good bass sound out of FL Studio. I mix on lovely 5.1 speakers and some headphones, and most of the time people say my bass overtakes alot of the drums so I cut it down some. But that's the part that's still very much a placeholder, if I can get Massive to work on my PC sometime soon I'll post a version with better bass. Thanks for the thoughts, I definitely have a hard time keeping songs interesting while not being annoying.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Longtiem posted:

This has some weird mixing, like too quiet or something, I really have no experience in the technical side of this only what I'm hearing off my home theater.

But the bass and synth (I think) line started out nice and deep and then once the percussion popped in it faded really far back, to unpleasantly quiet.

Reminds me a lot of MGMT

I don't know, I'm still not that happy with it, but I think I'm calling it done due to fatigue. Vocoded vocals mostly due to laziness :\ Totally replaced the bass for ya

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Is there an easy way to double tracks in ableton live? I'm talking like a stereo spread with a slight detune. I know you could do that manually but that feels like a pain in the rear end for something that could be an effect.

The chorus doesent seem to be stereo.

Jazz Cigarettes
Dec 7, 2005

Another quick FL question: when painting automation clips in the playlist, is there any way to keep them from being so long? Been hunting for a solution to this for a while, I'm getting sick of having to manually resize them across hundreds of bars.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Oiled and Ready posted:

I don't know, I'm still not that happy with it, but I think I'm calling it done due to fatigue. Vocoded vocals mostly due to laziness :\ Totally replaced the bass for ya

Again man don't be catering to my musical tastes but with everything going on in the track now the bass takes a maaaaaaaaaaajor backseat once the vox kick in.

I'm like totally unaware of how mixing works but maybe adjust the levels of everything individually when you add in a new instrument?

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Longtiem posted:

Again man don't be catering to my musical tastes but with everything going on in the track now the bass takes a maaaaaaaaaaajor backseat once the vox kick in.

I'm like totally unaware of how mixing works but maybe adjust the levels of everything individually when you add in a new instrument?

yeah actually I realized that after I uploaded it and it really annoyed me. :blush:

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Had some fun with FL9, and extreme cheese-trance fell out. Tried some mastering tricks with it. Did I succeed?

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Longtiem posted:

If you've been listening with a sub... see if this tickles your fancy a little more :) I'm calling it done, so if it doesn't, at least I'm content with it :D

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Jazz Cigarettes posted:

Another quick FL question: when painting automation clips in the playlist, is there any way to keep them from being so long?
Select the area you want them to be in before making them.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
uhn tiss uhn tiss

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Gibberish posted:

uhn tiss uhn tiss

Do you have a limiter / compressor on the master channel at really hard settings? The kick drum seems to evade the bass at times which sounds bit off. Should be the other way around.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, well, anyone that still says making electronic music is hard, you know, like these acoustic snobs like my dad, is going to get a big punch in their face the next time they try to claim something like this.

I like music. I tried several times one and off to come up with anything that doesn't sound bad. I'm always stuck between making a good sound in a synth and actually playing some notes that have some sort of a rhythm. This is sadly the best I've managed yet, right now not sure where to go on from here and I don't think it is really a genre:

http://soundcloud.com/glowstick/first-steps-no-1

:psyduck:

I guess I could try something simpler like trance or what, at least it sounds simpler to make, but I'm more an (electro) house guy, when it comes to listening to music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I was on hold with Comcast for a while and then a robot voice said "Thank you for calling, goodbye" and it hung up on me. So I made this song out of anger against the man.

Also, since I made that, I found this video, which has some fantastic tips for getting some more oomph out of your drums in Ableton. Every time I think I'm getting the hang of this software, I realize there is still a long way to go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIn9b81HGGM

• Locked thread